Is there anyone that eats more than 1200 calories a day??

Options

Replies

• swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Well I have hypothyroidism. My allowance here is 1240 and I usually eat somewhere between there and 1300. I do some exercise everyday, usually my stationary bike since I have had both knees replaced and high impact is out, sometimes a little walking. I have lost a fair amount of weight, but some weeks I lose nothing and others I have gained but mostly lose a pound or two on average per week. I tried eating back my exercise calories and I gained weight. I am very inventive with my eating and I get plenty to eat as cooking is something I love to do, so I challenge myself to invent lower fat and lower calorie alternatives to my favorites.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I ate at just slightly less than weight maintenance levels (roughly 1900 calories for me) for the last 9 days and did not exercise (I'm on medical bedrest) and lost 1.2 pounds in that time frame. That is just slightly less weight loss than I would have expected to see while on 1200 calories and exercising in excess of 300 calories a day. Clearly something strange is going on. I was eating a lot of food, and probably only walked about 200 steps a day.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When I joined I listed my activity as sedentary, and my goal as a 1lb per week loss. MFP set my target calories to 1480, and then lowered them to 1440 after a 10lb loss. I manually adjusted them back up to 1500 and I usually net somewhere between 1400 and 1500. I've actually been losing a bit faster than 1lb per week, and I'm guessing this was because I underestimated my activity level - I put sedentary because I sit at a desk much of the day, but I work with kids, so there are parts of the day when I'm up playing as well.

I'm comfortable and not hungry at this calorie goal, and the bit of extra loss is nice to keep up motivation, so I have left it alone.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I ate the MFP recommended 1220 cals for about 3 days before I thought I was going to hurt someone. I lost a lot of the weight eating 1400-1500, but now I'm close to maintenance so I'm eating 1900 cals and trying to tone up.
  • srburk
    srburk Posts: 2
    Options
    My limit is 1320. Some days I make it, some days I don't.....about half the week, I'm 100 over. It seems almost impossible sometimes. I don't believe in starving, so if I'm hungry, I eat (well), even if I'm over. The results remain to be seen.
  • jake_rrr
    Options
    I'm at 3200 cals just because I am trying to bulk up a bit. I exercise 3-4 times a week.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    Mine is at 1200 and I earn around 250 with daily exercise, but honestly I struggle to eat that much! I usually have 200-300 left over and have to force some snacks in to reach the 1200. I don't know how people can eat more than that. But I am 5'2" and 130lbs, looking to wiegh 115, so I am probably smaller than the majority of people on here. I would struggle to fit in more than 1200 cals a day.
  • BrendaJaneK
    Options
    I'm 116 pounds and I didn't think 1200 was enough food for me. I graze all day long. So I put my settings at sedentary and maintenance for 1440 calories before exercise. I think you have to listen to your body because you know it best. If you are confident you are eating well, it's up to you to decide. These numbers are just guides not laws.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Theoretical overweight guy at 210lbs has an estimated TDEE of 2900-3400. Why is it a good idea for him to be eating 1200 cals again?

A TDEE of 2900-3400 @ 210 pounds? That's a lot of exercise!

That using the typical x14-x16 calculator.

My emperically tested TDEE is about 2700 at 181lbs as an office worker who strength trains 3x a week and goes for a brisk walk on rest days.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    3,000 currently.
    2,200 when I am trying to lose

Sexy *****!
    BRUCE-LEE-APPROVES-GIF.gif
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to eat around 1400 calories a day, but for the past month I've been netting at 1900, and managed to maintain.
  • jeannesheehy
    Options
    I am eating about 1500 with a goal of losing one pound a week. This is also how I did it back in 1994/1995 to lose 40 pounds. I kept it off by staying about 1500 with occasional "cheating", but stayed in control and didn't over-do it. I think MFP does a great job of estimating needed calories based on science. I also try not to eat the "extra" calories that I earn with exercies, but it makes me feel good to have them for days I go over a little. Good luck!!
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    From Oct 2011 to 2 weeks ago I had been doing 1200/day and not eating my exercise calories and that was fine with me and I wasn't hungry. But all of a sudden I stopped losing 2 weeks ago and I was always so huungry so I took some other MFP members' advice and increased to 1400/day without eating my exercise calories and I'm back to losing. But I think I had to make the change b/c I'm now only 5.6lbs away from goal. It all depends on the person and your starting weight I think. :smile:

10502719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I've been doing the 1200/daily as well and decided to up it to 1400 because I haven't lost (but also haven't gained) in 2.5 weeks and I am 3-4 lbs away from my goal weight! Hoping the "eat more, weigh less" approach will help shed these last few pounds :) I also don't eat my exercise calories back - I pre-log my entire day the morning of or night before and add my exercise before bed.
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Never eaten as low as, or anywhere near, 1200 since I started this. Always way more.
  • haleydself
    Options
    On here, it says I can eat like 1,350 I think.. But I hardly ever eat that much, just becuase I feel like eating more than I do will keep me from losing the weight I want to lose so badly. I usually end up eating 1,200, even when I do cardio.. And I'm hungry most of the day! It sucks. Maybe after I lose about 10 pounds, I'll be more ok with eating more calories!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i plateaued at lower calorie limits. I am at 2000 a day
  • christinet8504
    Options
    1500-1600 net.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1200. I exercise when I can, and that shoots my goal to about 1600-2200.

You might want to consider eating more fats...and eating more period? If you are hungry that isn't a good thing....sounds like you are not getting enough in to your day if you are exercising on top of everything else. your body needs fuel too you know :)

I have changed my fats to go from low fat to full fat and it seems to take care of reaching my cal goals easier and makes me feel more satisfied. I cook with coconut oil, and use butter when I cook, and use full mayo and sour cream.

It tastes better and I am not eating more :) Just intaking a bit more cals to get me to my net easier.
  • sugarspicey
    Options
    The more you have lost, the less calories you can eat. For every 10% loss, you have to cut out about 20% of your calories to maintain your weight (so a normal 2000 diet would have to be at least slashed to 1600). A normal person of the weight that you dropped to could eat quite a bit more than you and maintain. But a weight reduced person has to constantly be vigilent about keeping the calories abnormally low because the body is doing all that it can to get you to regain your lost weight.

For a more detailed explantion check out this post and Weight of the Nation video on it:

http://www.theraddish.com/2012/07/30/why-keeping-weight-off-is-so-hard/
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same as you, at 1760 :smile: