Interesting info, CORN, Should we eat it?????

Options

Replies

• Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Nothing will stop me from eating my corn! Love it!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    • Corn is a poor source of certain minerals such as calcium...

Do you have any idea how much calcium is in the average corn tortilla?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    IM-ON-THE-RIGHT-TRACK-BABY-I-WAS-CORN-THIS-WAY.jpg
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    These posts wear me down. I need to go eat some corn to feel better.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I only eat things that are alive.

I'm sorry, but what do you eat then?

I'm assuming babies, mostly.

Bahahahahahaha. The innocence makes them taste better.

interesting. I prefer my meat rare, so ive been mostly eating unicorn... but this has my interest.
    ist there anything else I should know? Is it like grain, where you want to avoid the white ones?
    Thats_Racist_DeColores.gif

I :heart: that little boy.
    Sooo.. its more like chicken?
    in that case, I want the chinese one.... I know, I'll just be hungry an hour later, but its so good.
  • chirichardson
    chirichardson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!

I am troubled by the number of people here who bash others who are sharing information they have found. The purpose of these boards is to support and motivate. Not bash. If you disagree, use some class and do so in a civil manner.

I totally agree. But, this article does have me craving some corn on the cob. I always want what they tell me I shouldn't have. I'm going to cut oatmeal out for two weeks, see what happens.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Who needs that when you have skeletons of Paleo man?

You know, this is a good point. On a side note, none of them had any disease since there wasn't agriculture.

wut

Too bad their life expectancy was like 25 years. Lol
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!

I am troubled by the number of people here who bash others who are sharing information they have found. The purpose of these boards is to support and motivate. Not bash. If you disagree, use some class and do so in a civil manner.

I totally agree. But, this article does have me craving some corn on the cob. I always want what they tell me I shouldn't have. I'm going to cut oatmeal out for two weeks, see what happens.
    I am guessing your craving for oatmeal will increase over this time period.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!

I am guessing your craving for oatmeal will increase over this time period.

100s of oats will be saved!
    someone think of the oats.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You know, this is a good point. On a side note, none of them had any disease since there wasn't agriculture.

wut
    Truthfully, this is far off topic from the point at hand. People who get into the science knows that the argument some use to say "before agriculture no one had modern diseases, so we should eat like them" is entirely, 100% flawed. Haha yeah - they didn't live too long with the whole hunting thing and getting mauled by animals lol

I think this could be such a cool and interesting discussion if we really focused it in on the science - not the silly flawed statements I hear both sides throwing around. My most recent interest in all of this is various foods' affect on the gut lining. If anyone has any good info on this, please share.
  • Sublog
    Options
    Here's the trick:

Of course you'll feel better when you cut out grains and lose weight as a side effect of lowering carbs and working out.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/all-diets-work-the-importance-of-calories.html
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I never eat anything that comes out looking the same way it went in

hahahaha! Good advice!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Who needs that when you have skeletons of Paleo man?

wut

Throughout time, humans live longer. Our life line is what, on average about 80-90? Yet most people have some form of illness or disease. Their life long was about 30yrs, which was free of most diseases.

Free of most diseases that can be diagnosed from skeletal remains. How many modern 30-year-olds have diseases that will be obvious from their remains 10,000 years from now?
  • Sublog
    Options
    This is a good read on paleo -

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/static-stretching-and-refined-grain-intake-by-paleo-man-research-review.html

Mercader J. Mozambican grass seed consumption during the middle stone age. Science. (2009) 326(5960):1680-3.

Abstract:
    The role of starchy plants in early hominin diets and when the culinary processing of starches began have been difficult to track archaeologically. Seed collecting is conventionally perceived to have been an irrelevant activity among the Pleistocene foragers of southern Africa, on the grounds of both technological difficulty in the processing of grains and the belief that roots, fruits, and nuts, not cereals, were the basis for subsistence for the past 100,000 years and further back in time. A large assemblage of starch granules has been retrieved from the surfaces of Middle Stone Age stone tools from Mozambique, showing that early Homo sapiens relied on grass seeds starting at least 105,000 years ago, including those of sorghum grasses.
  • Ender928
    Ender928 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't really care if everyone eats corn or not, I found it interesting because the Mayans and others who switched to a more corn based diet, um, basically vanished, died of illness etc. We are a corn feed society and WE have many health issues as a nation, could this be related, yes? no? I don't know. I am not an expert, I posted an article from a nutrionalist with a degree, so why not read about what is out there instead of bashing it! I gave up wheat and I feel great! So, why not see how my body reacts to no corn. Why not, try it for two weeks or NOT! Whatever, I really like this site and I have enjoyed reading the forums. I posted something and get bashed for sharing because I am new, what is this high school?

War and drought contributed more to the demise of the Mayans than corn flakes.

Really? Like I want to know if you seriously believe the Mayans vanished because they switched to corn. There is no evidence to suggest that at all. Where you got that is crazy. They vanished to war and drought. And not all vanished there are still 100% Mayans alive today. Not debating the health aspect just stating actual facts here.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    I never eat anything that comes out looking the same way it went in

hahahaha! Good advice!

you dont like chocolate pudding then?
  • mkgraz
    mkgraz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Corn is rich in folate, Vitamin B12, thiamin, niacin, Vitamin A, Vitamin E.
    It is rich in phosphorus and magnesium.
    And-high in fiber-of course.

Many people who eat gluten free diets, have no trouble with corn.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't eat grains because of an autoimmune reaction (celiac and possible sjrogrens), even ones like corn and rice. Some celiacs have problems with the proteins in all grains, not just gluten/gliaden. But I didn't quit them to lose weight, and I haven't lost any weight due to quitting them. My son (adopted) also has problems with grains. He is gluten-free, and still eats corn and rice, but both of them cause him problems as well. His bmom was, we know, allergic to grass, and grains are all grass family.

I am not paleo; in fact, I am vegetarian and dairy-free, as well as having a few other allergies. But despite what you may think, it is possible to still eat a wide variety of foods even with these restrictions. And to overeat!
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    1. Corn, like anything, is fine in moderation.

2. As for the "corn doesn't digest" thing. Simply untrue. The only part of corn that doesn't digest is the cellulose shell on the outside of each each kernel. The human body does not produce the enzymes needed to break down the shell for digestion.Everything inside the kernel digests just fine.
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I love corn, I indulge only when it is in season, around August. Picked the same day at the farm, peaches a cream kernels.... it tastes nothing like imported corn. I can't ever give up my August indulgences...

For me ^^^This statement is so true! I love the fresh picked, unprocessed, non GMO, organic kind myself. I feel a million times better since I went to eliminating all PROCESSED corn products (maltodextrin, dextrose, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup.....many others....)

I tend to believe that the processed stuff that's in everything, combined with overindulgence of one item is going to result in problems with it. But total elimination, forever? Not going to happen.