Am I a b*tch?

Options
mnishi
mnishi Posts: 422 Member
A friend of mine from high school (not anyone I’m close to anymore) posted a picture of herself wearing pants much too big for her (you know, the typical weight loss pic, stretching out the waist to show the difference). Under the pic was the caption, “So, I’ve lost over a hundred pounds, what have you been up to?”
I happen to know that my friend had lap band surgery (which she failed to mention in the caption). I feel like she’s fishing for compliments, which I would be more than happy to give out if she had worked hard and lost the weight on her own. I’m really annoyed that she’s bragging about weight loss when all she did was choose to have unnecessary and invasive elective surgery. Or maybe I’m just annoyed that I’ve been working my butt off for a few lousy pounds.
What do you think?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    A b*tch would've pointed out that you've been 'not putting 100lbs on'
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you're a *****. She is too, but that doesn't excuse you from being petty.
    -wtk
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    I had a friend who had that surgery, but I feel as though it depends on the person..........my friend worked his *kitten* off, still does too, to lose the weight.........he just needed help doing the whole portion control thing I think which is why he did it in the first place. Some people have more trouble than others in that area I think......so you probably COULD cut her some slack.

On the flip side though, if all she's done was to do the surgery but no move to change her lifestyle habits like you and I have done, then yeah........you have the right to feel the way you do cause she took the easy route while just sitting on her butt not doing one ounce of exercise or lifestyle change for that matter.

So bottom line, it matters whether or not you work your *kitten* off to change those habits, behaviors, and totally shake things up to make room for improvement like going to the gym more.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think having those feelings makes you a b*tch:heart: . I think that your feelings are probably based more on the type of person that she is, and not the way that she lost her weight.
    I used to believe that bands, bypasses etc were the 'easy' way out... Until i started reading about people on here who have had it:smile: . I don't think that it is easy... I think that there are those that definately use it as something that it shouldn't be for.... Like for instance I know a girl that told the doctors that she did WW. Yep, she joined...went to meetings for a couple weeks...but ate burgers and fries at McD's all the time. Told doctors that she joined a gym...yep she did. Walking around the room doesn't count though. Bought books etc. Do I believe that she could have stopped stuffing her face and gone for a walk? Yes, yes I do. But that situation isn't EVERY situation. :flowerforyou:
    You are allowed to have bitter feelings... you knew her:bigsmile:
    Yes, I use a lot of emoticons... i like em. period. :laugh: :laugh:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    -wtk

Yes, yes it does. :laugh:
  • mnishi
    Options
    No, I don't think having those feelings makes you a b*tch:heart: . I think that your feelings are probably based more on the type of person that she is, and not the way that she lost her weight.

You're probably right, she can a very boastful person. If I thought she had really tried to lose weight the hard way and couldn't, I'd probably be more inclined to cut her some slack.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, lap band is no easy street. It is a tool. So, yeah, petty, imo.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did it too. I'm not jealous of her success. I don't think it makes you a ***** to think that way!

Plus, last time I checked MY legs looking f-ing hot from all the running, sweating, aerobics, etc I've done... I wonder what my friends' legs look like? :devil:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    From what I can see from your ticker, you only need to lose 40 lbs.

This person needed to lose over 100 lbs. Maybe it was medically necessary. Maybe she had health issues that needed to be addressed quickly. Whatever the reason, she chose the surgery and it was apparently successful. Why would you begrudge her that? There is a LOT of work involved both before and after lap band surgery. It's not like they go in, have a rubber band tied around their stomach and suddenly they are skinny.

I wouldn't say you were a b*tch, but I would say you are acting petty.
  • mnishi
    Options
    -wtk

I knew what I was getting myself into when I typed this.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    -wtk

Uh no, it doesn't. Two b!tches just make the world 2 steps closer to hell.

But for the record, unless she ACTED on those thoughts, I don't think the OP was a B just for thinking them.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    -wtk

HAHAHHAH
  • mnishi
    Options
    There is a LOT of work involved both before and after lap band surgery. It's not like they go in, have a rubber band tied around their stomach and suddenly they are skinny.

Honestly, that's what I thought happened. What do they have to do before and after? (Not being sarcastic, I'm curious)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 of weight loss: stop competing with everyone else and focus on you.

This eliminates any problem you have in this situation.

Also, yes, it is petty to be annoyed so much by it. You will always have someone who lost faster, looks better, was able to do it easier, etc. than you. It's just part of it. Your best bet is to say, "YAY congrats" and bust your butt to hit YOUR goals.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I sense a case of the green eyed monster! If shes your friend why can't you just be happy for her.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    A b!tch would have pointed it out to her and all her friends on the comment thread of her photo...lol
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 of weight loss: stop competing with everyone else and focus on you.

This eliminates any problem you have in this situation.

Also, yes, it is petty to be annoyed so much by it. You will always have someone who lost faster, looks better, was able to do it easier, etc. than you. It's just part of it. Your best bet is to say, "YAY congrats" and bust your butt to hit YOUR goals.

Very well stated. Please accept this Takei Oh My as a token of my respect.
    OhMy.gif
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    without reading the post, if you have to ask then I think the answer is obvious.

edit: now that i've read the post, i see my gut instinct was correct.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options

What do you think?

I think . . . To each their own. I would just say, congrats on your weight loss. Keep up the good work. And then move on.

I really believe that a healthier lifestyle includes being at peace with who you are. You are working hard to reach your goals. You should be proud of that. Period! What other people do, or do not do, does not change or diminish what you are doing.

Keep up the great work!

Michelle
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    For some..Lap Band surgery is necessary....for others..they can do without. I think the main issue you have is that she didnt do a full disclosure.

I know for myself..I did post a pic on FB...to show others what I did...and people did ask..I said I changed my diet and exercised like a mad woman..

And if she hasnt changed her ways..that weight will creep back up..It doesnt matter at the end if you get to the goal..its if you can maintain it..