have any of you took the depo shot???? HELP!!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• may2490
    may2490 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So about 4 weeks ago my doctor gave me the depo shot.... i then went to see an obgyn ( i should have went there first) who told me i am basically doomed and will deffinately gain weight. This shot lasts for three months. I have already gained like 8 pounds. However i just had surgery and had a stint put in my kidney for kidney stones and my weight gain happened the day of surgery and over night. I am just wondering if any women out there have taken the shot and not gained... I have been hearing horrorible things about this shot.

Yup. I just stopped taking Depo because of the weight that I was gaining. I would gain about 5 -10 pounds within a week of getting my shot. That just about killed my workout motivation. My doc said its part of the depo and the way its designed, since it goes throughout your whole body, the hormones reacting with your body tend to make you gain weight. :/
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Wow, so glad i came across this. I'm scheduled to have the Depo shot tomorrow. :frown: I'm having it because I suffer with PMDD. The Dr. said this will help him determine which hormone is actually driving me crazy. Apparently, the Depo "shut off" either Progesteron or Estrogen, can't remember which. According to him, if while on the Depo for 3 months, my symptoms ease, then I don't need to have my Ovaries removed.

After reading all these responses about the weight gain, I'm really having second thoughts. :sad: I will have to talk to him about this tomorrow.

I don't have a problem watching my calories and exercising a few days a week. However, the posts from those who are very active and healthy eaters and still gained weight is really terrifying. At my age It will take really long to lose 20 or 30 pounds, on top of the 10 I have left to reach my goal weight.

Best of luck to the OP :flowerforyou:
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for 7 years and gained constantly from when I got it to when I gave it up! Starting weight of 50kg as a teenager, finishing at somewhere in the region of 80kg >.<

evil evil evil

For me the benefits of the whole no period thing outweighed the weight gain, well, until I "realised" how bad it really was - it really does creep up on you! Wouldn't go back there again for all the chocolate in the world!
  • AJs_Journey
    Options
    I am sure its possible to not gain very much but whne I had it I gained 60 pounds in 3 months... it was brutal. I hope that your experience is better then mine!
  • Hi,
    I have been on ity since october 2010 and i only put on 6 lbs in that time, i think that everyone is different. But the only problem with depo is once its in your system it will take 3 months or more to get out. You just have to take the chance. On the other had i had the implant fitted and had it in for 2 years and i gained 3 stone. And they both contain the same hormone. I wouldnt worry, just follow your calories and im sure you will be fine.

Nicky x
  • lmoore9107
    lmoore9107 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've never done the depo shot but one form of bc pill I gained 15lbs in a month and I was just mean person haha. I make sure I have my generic specific brand because I'm worried to try anything else haha!
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 8 years and had severe bone mass loss. I was told (by my doctor) to tell everyone I know not to take it!
    WARNING: LOSS OF BONE MINERAL DENSITY
    Women who use Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection may lose significant bone mineral density. Bone loss is greater with increasing duration of use and may not be completely reversible.

It is unknown if use of Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection during adolescence or early adulthood, a critical period of bone accretion, will reduce peak bone mass and increase the risk for osteoporotic fracture in later life.

Depo-Provera Contraceptive Injection should not be used as a long-term birth control method (i.e., longer than 2 years) unless other birth control methods are considered inadequate. (See Warnings and Precautions (5.1)).

I was told by my doctor, and my obgyn, that if I Increase my calcium via a supplement that I shouldn't really lose bone mass. And that it typically happens at least 5 years after being on the shot, and that not only does it not affect everyone, but that the effects are reversible when you stop taking the shot. Also my doctor told me the younger you are the less likely you are to experience this. There’s also a simple bone density test they can do every 5 years to see if you're losing any mass. It’s simple, like an x-ray but without the radiation. Yeah, there's a black box warning, because there are issues that some people have, but not everyone. Raising awareness and educating people about their options is helpful, but in almost 10 years of being on the shot I have not lost any bone mass at all.
  • rissasgunnadoit
    Options
    I DEFINITLY THINK IT DEPEDNS ON THE PERSON

i have been on the depo for almost 5 years non stop, right after i had my daughter and i went from 176lbs down to 125, and then a year later back down to 115 (no working out no dieting most likley just very active with a baby, i stayed "little" till my husband joined the army and i became a stay at home mom, and the pounds started tackin on, i went from 125 to 140 the first year, he deployed and i went back home to be with family and i went back down to 125 (i was back working and doing things with friends) then he came home from deployment and we moved back to texas where i became a stay at home mom again this past november....from november of 11 to today i went from 135 to 160......all because of being inactive......

bottom line, the depo does not make you gain weight, it slows your metabolizm so yyou just have to be a bit more active to refrain from gaining, it is NOT A DEATH SENTANCE!!!!!!!...

i started using MFP and within two weeks of being more active again (not going back to work just walking jogging etc light exercise) i have lost 5 pounds....

please everyone do not blame the depo for weight gain....and if your obgyn is saying "YOU WILL ABSOLUTLY GAIN WEIGHT" THERE FULL OF ****, MY OBGYN TOLD ME IT SLOWS YOUR MOTABOLISM TO JUST BE A LIL MORE ACTIVE AND BEING MORE ACTIVE WILL BOOST YOUR MOTABALISM BACK UP :)

feel free to friend me guys :)
  • jdlund09
    jdlund09 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have taken the shot for 3 years, and I gain TONS OF weight! I just recently went off of it, and My shot was due 2 days ago and I didn ot renew it because I want to find Birth Control that doesn't make you gain that much weight!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I took it about 10 years ago and gained no weight. I was considering going back on it last year but opted against it because I didn't feel comfortable with some of the side effects.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I was on it (Depo Lupron, but they are similar) for 6 months about 6 years ago after my first endometriosis surgery. It was hell. Did I gain weight? Yes. I had been between 125-138 my whole life and I got to about 150 in that time. But that wasn't even the worst - I was a moody, terrible person with less than 0 sex drive. I was self-conscious, cried a lot and will never do it again.

When I had my most recent endo surgery in December, the doctor asked if I wanted to go on Depo again. I started crying - she got the point. I've been on Nuvaring for years and I do really like it. We customized it so I only get a period once every 3 months, I've seen no adverse side effects, it's EASY and it helps manage my endo pain. Can't go wrong.