The HOT mommy at the gym debate

Options

Replies

• emfilomena
    Options
    I'm young, only 17, but I certainly notice when other women (or even men at times) are coming in trying to look hot and hardly exercise the entire time. They talk amongst themselves, maybe use a little 3 - 5 lb dumbbell, or are walking on 1.0 speed on the treadmill, hardly working out that hard. I suppose any exercise is better than none, but it can get annoying. And by annoying, I mean when I have to wait for these people to shut up and share the strength training machines instead of being on one for 15 - 20 minutes straight.

I will come into the gym with or without makeup, my hair done, etc, but the only reason I'd be wearing makeup or have my hair done is because it's the afternoon / night and I've finished my day at school. I usually come in looking like a scrub in spandex and leaving with rosy cheeks and drenched in sweat.

If I'm at the gym, I'm there for the gym. Not to socialize, not to make friends (though I'm not opposed to making friends, or striking up conversation), but to WORKOUT.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Well I think it is important to look decent when I go so I do wear cute workout outfits and if I workout after work then I might have on makeup. I work hard, sweat a lot, and really pump iron and really don't watch what others are wearing or what they looke like. Now what does catch my eye is another heavy female lifter...tqhat is so rare....
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty 'hot' after I run the treadmill for 60 minutes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont even notice to be honest. i usually have my headphones in rocking out to my music and too busy wiping sweat off my eyelashes to even notice other people in the gym.

as far as looking nice at the gym, that depends on how close i am to laundry day. my cuter outfits get worn first, so by the end i'm scraping the bottom of the workout gear barrel and am wearing some really strange combos :laugh: and you know what, I dont care how i look on those days, i'm there to do the work..

on the rare occassion i do look it's either because there's a really hot guy OR there's another woman in the weight room and i want to give the wassup head nod..
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If they want to get dressed up to go to the gym and pretend to work out I could care less but the thing that bothers me about hot mommies at the gym is the amount of perfume they wear!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER wear makeup to the gym. I am there to work out, hard and sweat. I like to look good when it matters not try to win a beauty contest hovering around the sit up station and 5lb dumbells.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    What I find interesting is that both genders try to impress members of the same gender more than the opposite. For example with males it's about "how much do you bench/squat/dealift bro?" or "my biceps measure 18 inches". Where you would think that they would rather have attention from the opposite sex, it seems they are more noticed by the same sex.
    Lucky for me I'm impressed with both sexes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    The only time it has ever bothered me if someone wants to do their hair and makeup before working out is when it holds me up from getting to it.... Had 2 friends visit me and friend 1 and I were in our sweats and ready to go walking at 6 am while friend 2 was doing her hair and putting on makeup. We almost left without her. Otherwise, do your thing.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I barely have time to put myself together once a day, so if I manage the gym or a run in the morning it's straight out of bed, hair in a ponytail. My motto is that I work out to look hot someday, not in the moment. I don't care much about the women who feel they have to wear makeup or girls who wear too little to the gym in a bid for attention. (If their bodies are truly excellent, all I feel is admiration and envy. I do feel scorn if gals jump the gun and wear too little to the gym when they still have much work to do. Sports bras worn alone are a privilege, not a right.) That said, I do feel sad for the women who try *so* hard to be "hot mommies," like they have something to prove. There are certain gym ones you can tell are trying to keep a wealthy husband with frantic workouts. I have been going to the same gym (wealthy neighborhood) for 10+ years, so I have seen the evolution of a few aging stay-at-home moms, when the surgeries start, and they are getting too old to wear as little as they do to show off that they haven't lost anything physically. They emit a certain desperation that makes me sad. You have kids, you get older, it's life--I admire people who try to be the best they can at any age and stage, but trying to prove that they're not any different because they've had kids is weird. You should be different, in a good way. But maybe that's something that comes with emotional maturity.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    All this hot mommy talk is making ME hot!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What's funny about these "hot mommies" is that, in the gym, the girl with no make up on, messy hair, and sweating buckets is 10,000 times sexier to me than the dolled up, full makeup and hair designer woman that's doing her best to look pretty and not sweat.
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Real beats fake any day. I agree with the above post
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I just have one question:

Why does anyone care what anyone else looks like at the gym as long as it's not offensive?

And I mean genuinely offensive not just some other female's version of offensive.

I must be getting old because what someone ELSE is doing just doesn't concern me like it used to in my petty, younger days.

JMO
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I just have one question:

Why does anyone care what anyone else looks like at the gym as long as it's not offensive?

And I mean genuinely offensive not just some other female's version of offensive.

I must be getting old because what someone ELSE is doing just doesn't concern me like it used to in my petty, younger days.

JMO

I agree with this. Why does anyone really care? The number of threads I've seen about this is astounding.
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mommy, but I do have something to say re: how I look if I were to go to the gym. I'm more of a workout-at-home kind of person, but if I were to go to the gym I would probably already have makeup on. It's part of my morning routine to put on makeup. For me, it's not about having 'ulterior motives' or trying to get people to look at me at the gym. I have always hated the way I look without makeup, so it makes me feel better about myself when I have makeup on. I sweat like a pig when I work out, but I guess I wear the kind of makeup that doesn't look disgusting when I'm all sweaty.

I don't know. I'm not sure why people judge others so much. I suppose I would laugh if I saw a bunch of women standing around talking and pretending to workout, but what about the women who are there busting their butt with a full face of makeup on? Why are they judged? Maybe they're insecure like me and just want to make themselves feel a little better.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Before I post my thoughts... just a quick question... how many of you men do a quick 10 push-ups before heading out the door, just to get a little 'pumped' up before going to the gym??

As to the other women, that's cool. It may be the only time these ladies get out of the house at all, so let them do it up but don't be gabbing up and taking up space where I need to be working out.

As for me, I USED to at least wear mascara when I went to the gym, then I moved to a small country town and not a soul knows me. I work at home, so my gym time is MY public time.. and honestly, I don't care one bit.. Most of the time, I wear no make-up. Mostly, because, it is sadly all I can do to get myself there. If I had to worry about how I looked too, I would never get there!

Now for any other occasion, except maybe running to Walmart (yes, we really do have one of those!), I really don't leave the house without make-up on, EVER!
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't care what others do as long as they are not disruptive to my own workout.

For me, 30ish (and heading to 40) has been a difficult time. Long gone are the days of youthful beauty. Maybe they dress themselves up because they just need to feel beautiful for themselves (not others) and being there like that is helping them. It's hard to know why people do the things they do, but maybe they have a reason other than showing off.

^^^This.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm usually very focused on what I'm doing, so I probably wouldn't even notice/be bothered

..now if they're huddled around the lifting machines, using them as their own personal lounge..that's when i go into b*tch mode..
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't know why women get so hung up on how other women look at the gym.

Agreed, if you really didn't care, you really wouldn't notice them
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't really care what people look like at the gym,im just there to exercise.