starting C25K tomorrow! =)

Options

Replies

• usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I want to start the C25K, just wondering what the best way is to know how long you are walking/running? Do yall use a stopwatch, heart rate monitor combo? Can you program it? JW. Thanks. :)
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I go with podcasts for my ipod that were specifically created for the programme, you can download them for free from the NHS. Others have apps that do the same thing. I couldn't imagine having to try and pay attention to a stopwatch whilst putting myself through it! :)
  • usedasbrandnew
    Options
    Thanks! Found an app for my droid! :) I'm excited.
  • usedasbrandnew
    Options
    Just did W1D1. My calves are a little sore, and the last bit of jogging nearly killed me. I think I may need to do the first few week 4 times a week like someone mentioned, or I don't see how my endurance could possibly get that much better. I can run so much longer on a treadmill than I can outside for some reason, probably the heat. I feel great though. :)
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Just did W1D1. My calves are a little sore, and the last bit of jogging nearly killed me. I think I may need to do the first few week 4 times a week like someone mentioned, or I don't see how my endurance could possibly get that much better. I can run so much longer on a treadmill than I can outside for some reason, probably the heat. I feel great though. :)

Awesome! U will be surprised what u can do! I know i was! Im starting week four and thats five mins of jogging monday! Am a wee bit nervous! Im sure i will be running sooooo slllooooowwwwww! Lol
  • rainbowfaye
    rainbowfaye Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new and kind of a lurker but I wanted to say that because of this thread I completed W1D3. It is rainy outside and I didn't want to go at all but I came to this thread and said heck with it all. :D
  • Reckabek
    Options
    Hi I'm new and kind of a lurker but I wanted to say that because of this thread I completed W1D3. It is rainy outside and I didn't want to go at all but I came to this thread and said heck with it all. :D

Good wtg! Im glad u did and im sure u r too
  • whutzup1
    whutzup1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rainbowfaye
    rainbowfaye Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Good wtg! Im glad u did and im sure u r too

I am really glad I went out. Aside from some small hiccups (One part of the track was flooded and there were ducks living there and I realized my shoes had holes in them AFTER I started running) it was an amazing experience. Afterward I felt really good about myself too.
  • Reckabek
    Options
    Wonder how u guys did w5d3? With the 20 min run?
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    This is a great way to ease into running. I did the program last year and dropped about 15 lbs. I didn't find MFP until halfway through C25K so all my weight loss isn't reflected on here.

Stick with it and don't get discouraged if you don't complete a run the first try. I had to repeat runs from time to time.

Good Luck!
  • KristenStone
    KristenStone Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just started today too! Add me if you would like! :)
  • kaned_ferret
    Options

Good for you, it's definitely worth keeping up with, cos then you can start having silly crazy victory moments each time you manage to go onto the next week - I've just done w4d1 and was so chuffed with myself that I actually posted my first success story about it lol :)

To everyone that's still with me, keep it up, we're doing GREAT! Nearly half way through the program!! O.O
  • NicoletheFaye
    NicoletheFaye Posts: 19 Member
    Options

The first few minutes were the hardest, for some reason {it's pretty hilly here, so that may have had something to do with it}. I was on awful terrain and inappropriately dressed, but I kept going and I made it!

2 days after my Week 5, Day 3 session, I was able to run a solid 22 minutes and then another 15 minutes with just a few minutes in between. Week 6, it looks like, gets easier. Or at least it looks a lot like Week 5, which now I really know I can do.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Finished week 1!
  • Reckabek
    Options
    Wow just did w4d1! It was not fun! Very hard to run five mins! But i did it! I think mondays are hard for me cause i do it in the evening! Whereas the other days r in the morning! Needless to say, i did it. But didnt like it! But am proud of myself! Still hope to be a runner one day, just hopefully at more pleasure then today!
  • Reckabek
    Options

The first few minutes were the hardest, for some reason {it's pretty hilly here, so that may have had something to do with it}. I was on awful terrain and inappropriately dressed, but I kept going and I made it!

2 days after my Week 5, Day 3 session, I was able to run a solid 22 minutes and then another 15 minutes with just a few minutes in between. Week 6, it looks like, gets easier. Or at least it looks a lot like Week 5, which now I really know I can do.

Are u still doing it? I am sooo not looking forward to week five
  • LoFoSho
    LoFoSho Posts: 11
    Options
    I go with podcasts for my ipod that were specifically created for the programme, you can download them for free from the NHS. Others have apps that do the same thing. I couldn't imagine having to try and pay attention to a stopwatch whilst putting myself through it! :)

Hi I wanted to more about where I can find these podcast. I'm gearing up to starting the C25k program and I would love some music to go with it! What is NHS?
  • kaned_ferret
    Options

Hi I wanted to more about where I can find these podcast. I'm gearing up to starting the C25k program and I would love some music to go with it! What is NHS?

The NHS is the health service in Britain :) Here's a link to where you can get the info and podcasts:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx
  • NicoletheFaye
    NicoletheFaye Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Are u still doing it? I am sooo not looking forward to week five
    Great job getting through that 5 minutes! It was TOUGH that first time and just about every time I did it that week!

The 22 minute run followed by a 15 minute run was just this Sunday. I had obligations from early in the morning until late late late at night the last two days. But I will start Week 6 today after work. I'm ACTUALLY looking forward to it!

Keep it up you guys! I've NEVER been a runner. I got winded blowing up a balloon as a child. But I am running and so can you!