400 Calories in 4 Minutes - WDYT?

Options

Replies

• lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I dunno this sounds like a INSANITY warm up and I only burn 130 cals with that...but I wanna test this with my HRM whats a squat thrust???
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    There is no way you could burn 400 calories in 4 minutes. I do HIIT workouts and in 15 minutes I burn around 200 calories, it is true though that you're metabolism keeps burning calories at a higher rate over the next 24-36 hours after a HIIT workout. The afterburn is probably what they are referring to.

totally true.
    I did this workout multiple times, it is a good kickstarter for a workout if you ask me but I would NEVER use this 4 minutes as my exercise for the day lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If your wearing the right outfit.

GG-G620_0112-352x450.jpg

They don't burn additional cals (at least not many) what you lose in a sauna suit is water weight, no calorie burn necessary.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I do hip hop spinning and have burned as much as 1600 per hour..but this would actually have you burning 6,000 cals per hour? I will have to check it out but i am gonna say UMMM NOOO!!
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    This is one of Mike Changs six pack shorcuts routines- he has TONS of videos on youtube and these short workouts are INTENSE, sweat more doing these than on the eliptical for 30 minutes. Worth checking out for sure- his 4 minutes "corkscrew & figure 8 ab" routine is killer...

I did Mike Changs core exercises yesterday. i did it for 30 mins and its intense!
  • Elenazuniga
    Options
    i could eat 400 calories in 4 minutes, lol.

My thoughts exactly..Lol..
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    No,
    When you are really pushing hard you burn 10 calories per minute. You cannot burn 400 calories in 4 minutes.

:)
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think thier claims are a little reaching, but they may be factoring in the fact that it is like a weight training session in that you continue to burn calories after the workout is done.

^This^

They are a little misleading. Kinda like the government and the $600 toilet seat. During it's entire life, sure $600 could have changed hands, But selling for $21, then selling again for $22, then again for $23 makes it worth $23 NOT the total of all 3 transactions, or $66. Just hope all the sales are between suppliers and not users:)
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Im sure its a great workout, but 400 in four minutes? if this were true, you could lose 2lbs a day just by doing this workout for an hour...thats 14lbs a week, 56lbs a month (roughly) - just by doing this for an hour a day (roughly)

seems a little far fetched - if it worked, we'd all be doing it!!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you're taking rest...then absolutely not true. However, if you want a high calorie burn in a very short period of time check out BodyRockTV. Workouts are 10-20 minutes (average of 12-15minutes) & they burn @ least 200 calories. The main face behind it (Zuzana) is INSANE, as are all her counterparts.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It's a tabata workout and would take into account any 'afterburn'. I wouldn't believe 400 calories, though.

The intensity is meant to be exceptionally high - if you can do more than once through, you're not going hard enough.
    The original testing, it was integrated with some steady-state also (compared to people doing only steady-state)
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The most I've burned in 4 minutes is about 40-45 calories as measured by my HRM, and that's at max HR for my age. Could probably push that higher if I was pushing for only a 4 minute workout, but not 10x higher.
  • debtfre12
    Options
    Hmmm, I'll measure & weigh myself first, then try these everyday this week, starting with today thru Saturday, then re-measure & weigh-in on Sunday and see if I've lost weight and/or inches. It's worth a try ..... :bigsmile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    This is TABATA PROTOCOL. The first key is on Tabata that it is ALL out 100% on every single exercise. You jump as high and fast as you can for those 20 seconds. You do mountain climbers as fast as you can in 20 seconds. If you AREN'T laying on the floor and gasping for air like there isn't any left, after the protocol then you DIDN'T do it 100%. I instruct a Tabata class and KNOW if someone is doing it 100% or if they are doing just 70%.
    Now for 400 calories burned...............I'd say no. Even doing Tabata myself, I've never reached more than 200 calories burned in that 4 minutes, but it's what it does to your RMR that makes the difference. A higher RMR is what burns body fat when you're NOT exercising.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    absolutely not!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It';s Tabata and what it means is you do this on repeat for 40 minutes. Instead of running and burns as many calories, which is just about true.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It';s Tabata and what it means is you do this on repeat for 40 minutes. Instead of running and burns as many calories, which is just about true.

If you can do tabata for 40 minutes, you're doing it wrong!
  • bchmura
    Options
    There is no way you could burn 400 calories in 4 minutes. I do HIIT workouts and in 15 minutes I burn around 200 calories, it is true though that you're metabolism keeps burning calories at a higher rate over the next 24-36 hours after a HIIT workout. The afterburn is probably what they are referring to.

This explanation makes the most sense... I do CF workouts and a normal 60 minutes with warm up, skill work, then work out is about 400-450 calories. I wear a chest heart rate monitor so i consider this number to be pretty accurate.

There is no easy way, just accept it
  • InTenn
    InTenn Posts: 99
    Options
    Just for fun, I used a heart rate/calorie burn calculator.

A 20 year old male weighing 500 lbs with a pulse of 173 bpm (89% of max) for 4 minutes will burn 99 calories.

For a similar woman, it was 28 calories.

Not saying either is right, but that is what it reported.

I think a 400 calorie per minute burn would require that you burst into flames at some point.

Using the "over the next 24 hour" logic, one could easily point out that the best 10 second calorie burn comes from pushing away from the dinner table before dessert.