400 Calories in 4 Minutes - WDYT?

Options

Replies

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    This is TABATA PROTOCOL. The first key is on Tabata that it is ALL out 100% on every single exercise. You jump as high and fast as you can for those 20 seconds. You do mountain climbers as fast as you can in 20 seconds. If you AREN'T laying on the floor and gasping for air like there isn't any left, after the protocol then you DIDN'T do it 100%. I instruct a Tabata class and KNOW if someone is doing it 100% or if they are doing just 70%.
    Now for 400 calories burned...............I'd say no. Even doing Tabata myself, I've never reached more than 200 calories burned in that 4 minutes, but it's what it does to your RMR that makes the difference. A higher RMR is what burns body fat when you're NOT exercising.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor

Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

THIS^^ But what the thing means is that you do it 10 times over!!! Instead of running for 40 minutes...i.e is as good even though you don't "work" the entire time. Tabata protocol is a form of interval training where you work max effort for 20 seconds, rest 10 and repeat. Normally 8 sets of each exercise which will take you 40 minutes per block of 8 (20secs+10secs = 30secs x 8 = 4mins)
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    It';s Tabata and what it means is you do this on repeat for 40 minutes. Instead of running and burns as many calories, which is just about true.

If you can do tabata for 40 minutes, you're doing it wrong!

Not strictly true... a proper Tabata workout is between 20 and 40 mins and as you get fitter anaerobically the better and longer you can go for ...which is the point of it... to develop your anaerobic threshold and endurance. As opposed to steady state intense aerobic cardio which will just develop your Aerobic capacity and endurance mostly.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options

I think a 400 calorie per minute burn would require that you burst into flames at some point.

400/minute would be ridiculous.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    wonderful and high intensity, but 400 cals in 4 min? maybe if you weigh quite a Lot.
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    I burned 85 calories according to my HRM (so take that as you will for accuracy I'm 5ft 9, weigh 71Kg, female, Maximal test V02max 50 and RHR 49BPM, Exercise about 8-12 times a week mostly steady state high intensity AEROBIC cardio so at 80-85%MHR) this morning doing 2 sets of Tabata Burpees and JackKnife crunches this morning. That's 8 minutes of Tabata (20secs bursts, 10 secs rest x 8 for each exercise). If that helps give an estimation.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    it's possible if you are running at a speed of 48 miles per hour.

otherwise, probably not.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    No.....I would say that is impossible.
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    Options
    IDK how much it burns since I didn't have a HRM the last time I did one of those workouts, but they are a very good, very hard workout. You push yourself as hard as you can during those 2o seconds and it is hard work.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    No way. I'd say 30-40 calories tops in 4 minutes and that's pushing yourself hard!
  • caddygarcia123
    caddygarcia123 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    No not possible at all, Insanity workout does all that and still only burn about 400 per video :( but if you leave me in an all you can eat buffet im pretty sure i can do 400 calories in 4 mins!! lol
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think a 400 calorie per minute burn would require that you burst into flames at some point.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    The actual Tabata protocol really is only 4 minutes long. Total calorie expenditure comes from the after-burn, not just from the exercise session itself. From what I've read elsewhere, really only people who are extremely fit can do the 4-minute Tabata protocol intense enough to probably get a 400 calorie burn, or anything close to it, even after-burn is factored in. I've read that if you don't feel like puking when you're done with the 4-minutes, you haven't done it fast enough. I've tried it a few times. While I've never felt like puking, I have felt light-headed and dizzy and really couldn't imagine repeating it. I do think it's probably something you could do on days when you just don't have time for your regular workout. However, I was so spent after doing it that I've not been anxious to repeat it. I'd rather get that spent by lifting heavy. YMMV.

Metabolic profile of high intensity intermittent exercises.
    Tabata I, Irisawa K, Kouzaki M, Nishimura K, Ogita F, Miyachi M.
    Source
    Department of Physiology and Biomechanics, National Institute of Fitness and Sports, Kanoya City, Japan. tabata@nih.go.jp
    Abstract
    To evaluate the magnitude of the stress on the aerobic and the anaerobic energy release systems during high intensity bicycle training, two commonly used protocols (IE1 and IE2) were examined during bicycling. IE1 consisted of one set of 6-7 bouts of 20-s exercise at an intensity of approximately 170% of the subject's maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) with a 10-s rest between each bout. IE2 involved one set of 4-5 bouts of 30-s exercise at an intensity of approximately 200% of the subject's VO2max and a 2-min rest between each bout. The accumulated oxygen deficit of IE1 (69 +/- 8 ml.kg-1, mean +/- SD) was significantly higher than that of IE2 (46 +/- 12 ml.kg-1, N = 9, p < 0.01). The accumulated oxygen deficit of IE1 was not significantly different from the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit (the anaerobic capacity) of the subjects (69 +/- 10 ml.kg-1), whereas the corresponding value for IE2 was less than the subjects' maximal accumulated oxygen deficit (P < 0.01). The peak oxygen uptake during the last 10 s of the IE1 (55 +/- 6 ml.kg-1.min-1) was not significantly less than the VO2max of the subjects (57 +/- 6 ml.kg-1.min-1). The peak oxygen uptake during the last 10 s of IE2 (47 +/- 8 ml.kg-1.min-1) was lower than the VO2max (P < 0.01). In conclusion, this study showed that intermittent exercise defined by the IE1 protocol may tax both the anaerobic and aerobic energy releasing systems almost maximally.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9139179
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It';s Tabata and what it means is you do this on repeat for 40 minutes. Instead of running and burns as many calories, which is just about true.

If you can do tabata for 40 minutes, you're doing it wrong!

Not strictly true... a proper Tabata workout is between 20 and 40 mins and as you get fitter anaerobically the better and longer you can go for ...which is the point of it... to develop your anaerobic threshold and endurance. As opposed to steady state intense aerobic cardio which will just develop your Aerobic capacity and endurance mostly.

I think you're confusing it with general HIIT
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    True Tabata is only 4 minutes long. If you can go 40 minutes, you are doing intervals and not Tabata.

IDEA Fitness member
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    common sense tells me no.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    THIS^^ But what the thing means is that you do it 10 times over!!! Instead of running for 40 minutes...i.e is as good even though you don't "work" the entire time. Tabata protocol is a form of interval training where you work max effort for 20 seconds, rest 10 and repeat. Normally 8 sets of each exercise which will take you 40 minutes per block of 8 (20secs+10secs = 30secs x 8 = 4mins)
    Disagree here. If you can go 40 minutes and do that much, the you're doing HIIT training and not Tabata. Tabata is ALL out 100% effort for 4 minutes. In those 4 minutes you should be spent and done. If not, then it wasn't Tabata training.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure that your body literally can't burn cals at that efficient rate...
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i could eat 400 calories in 4 minutes, lol.

Love it!:laugh:
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Yeah, calling BS on this one unless there's something crazy going on that I don't know about. If this were true, I'd burn 4,000 calories during an Insanity Workout and I definitely don't come anywhere close. The most I've burned is just shy of 1,200 and that was in roughly 90 minutes. Speaking of, that's the workout I'm doing tonight. Yay!!!