400 Calories in 4 Minutes - WDYT?

Options

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    That sounds like the training I do at my gym, except I do it for 40 minutes. And I certainly am not burning thousands of calories.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I think a 400 calorie per minute burn would require that you burst into flames at some point.

400 cals per 4 minutes even
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think thier claims are a little reaching, but they may be factoring in the fact that it is like a weight training session in that you continue to burn calories after the workout is done.

I think you hit it on the nose. Notice they say, "Increases metabolism for next 36 hours" at the bottom. They must be counting that increase to get to 400 calories.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Don't believe that! X
  • carramel0705
    carramel0705 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I think a 400 calorie per minute burn would require that you burst into flames at some point.

LOL
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my guess is that during the workout you burn significantly less, but for the next 6 minutes or so you'd end up burning 400 calories or so.

i've tested that theory out with a 12 minute HIIT workout that proposed that it would burn 1000 calories in an hour. the actual workout ddidnt burn much but i kept my HRM on for an hour after i finished the workout and sure enough i finished at a little over 800 calories burned.

i'd say test it out, where your HRM but have a good idea of what you burn normally without exercise, what you would burn an hour after less intense workout and then what you'd burn after this workout.
  • shaynawess
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1720

The above is a link to a great article about this over on Spark People.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    my guess is that during the workout you burn significantly less, but for the next 6 minutes or so you'd end up burning 400 calories or so.

i've tested that theory out with a 12 minute HIIT workout that proposed that it would burn 1000 calories in an hour. the actual workout ddidnt burn much but i kept my HRM on for an hour after i finished the workout and sure enough i finished at a little over 800 calories burned.

i'd say test it out, where your HRM but have a good idea of what you burn normally without exercise, what you would burn an hour after less intense workout and then what you'd burn after this workout.

You HRM will over estimate your burn if you keep it going once you stop working out. As the HR is only used to estimate intensity, if you are not moving your HRM thinks your are still working out at X intensity. THe calculation in the HRM assumes a certain oxygen uptake based on intensity, while at rest with your HR up, your intensity is not up, therefore the amount of oxygen uptake would be much much lower then the HRM estimates, which means the cals burned will be over estimated by a long shot.
  • airie797
    Options
    Put it to the test. Put your HRM on and do it and see what happens.

5499814.png

My thoughts EXACTLY! Measure it with a Fitbit or Bodybug & work out!!! :)
  • airie797
    Options
    LMAO!!! Hook me up with one of those sweat suits!!! LOL :)
  • gaberieger
    Options
    Do you think it can be true?
    103371753916833097_5lTL6mKf_f.jpg
    Lies! She's using a speed/agility ladder! :drinker:
  • giag09
    giag09 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump
  • finfeet
    finfeet Posts: 15
    Options
    The actual Tabata protocol really is only 4 minutes long. Total calorie expenditure comes from the after-burn, not just from the exercise session itself. From what I've read elsewhere, really only people who are extremely fit can do the 4-minute Tabata protocol intense enough to probably get a 400 calorie burn, or anything close to it, even after-burn is factored in. I've read that if you don't feel like puking when you're done with the 4-minutes, you haven't done it fast enough. I've tried it a few times. While I've never felt like puking, I have felt light-headed and dizzy and really couldn't imagine repeating it. I do think it's probably something you could do on days when you just don't have time for your regular workout. However, I was so spent after doing it that I've not been anxious to repeat it. I'd rather get that spent by lifting heavy. YMMV.

Metabolic profile of high intensity intermittent exercises.
    Tabata I, Irisawa K, Kouzaki M, Nishimura K, Ogita F, Miyachi M.
    Source
    Department of Physiology and Biomechanics, National Institute of Fitness and Sports, Kanoya City, Japan. tabata@nih.go.jp
    Abstract
    To evaluate the magnitude of the stress on the aerobic and the anaerobic energy release systems during high intensity bicycle training, two commonly used protocols (IE1 and IE2) were examined during bicycling. IE1 consisted of one set of 6-7 bouts of 20-s exercise at an intensity of approximately 170% of the subject's maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) with a 10-s rest between each bout. IE2 involved one set of 4-5 bouts of 30-s exercise at an intensity of approximately 200% of the subject's VO2max and a 2-min rest between each bout. The accumulated oxygen deficit of IE1 (69 +/- 8 ml.kg-1, mean +/- SD) was significantly higher than that of IE2 (46 +/- 12 ml.kg-1, N = 9, p < 0.01). The accumulated oxygen deficit of IE1 was not significantly different from the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit (the anaerobic capacity) of the subjects (69 +/- 10 ml.kg-1), whereas the corresponding value for IE2 was less than the subjects' maximal accumulated oxygen deficit (P < 0.01). The peak oxygen uptake during the last 10 s of the IE1 (55 +/- 6 ml.kg-1.min-1) was not significantly less than the VO2max of the subjects (57 +/- 6 ml.kg-1.min-1). The peak oxygen uptake during the last 10 s of IE2 (47 +/- 8 ml.kg-1.min-1) was lower than the VO2max (P < 0.01). In conclusion, this study showed that intermittent exercise defined by the IE1 protocol may tax both the anaerobic and aerobic energy releasing systems almost maximally.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9139179

^^Thank you!!! The whole point of tabata is to increase you VO2max so that later your running/biking/excercise can be done longer and more efficiently. tabata for weight loss means doing other excersises as well.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If that burns more calories than a 40-60 minute run, you must be sleeping during 35-55 minutes of that run.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    your heart rate can only be raised a certain amount without dying, so no you cannot burn 400 calories in 4 minutes. More like 60 calories.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I did one of these workouts on Pinterest and it claimed to burn 1000 calories. it was 6 different exercises done 7 times. I burned 250.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    the only way to burn that much in that little bit of time is to have a seizure.... 1000-2000 cal in 4 minutes that way!
  • krypty
    krypty Posts: 14
    Options
    More like 40 or 50 calories....400? HAHAHAHAHAHA ... MAYBE FOR THE PEOPLE WHO LOG 500 CALORIES BURNED FOR 30 MINUTES OF BREASTFEEDING
  • krypty
    krypty Posts: 14
    Options
    Not to mention there are 8 rests in a 4 minute workout.... this is the laziest workout ever,,,this is how people fool themselves