Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You should read this thread. It really explains why plateaux happen and how to fix it. Basically the closer you get to your goal, the more you should eat closer to your TDEE (maintenance) calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/501511-great-read-on-plateau-ing
  • laurajplus4
    laurajplus4 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Inspiring thread! I have sent some friend requests, as I need them :)

I haven't really hit a plateau yet, but haven't lost in weeks. My question for all of you (my apologies if it has been answered, but I only have gotten through the first couple pages of responses so far), are we talking 1800+ net, or before excercise? I have been pretty close to 1800 before workouts, but am considering upping a bit, just to see if I can ge tthe scale to move again :)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Inspiring thread! I have sent some friend requests, as I need them :)

I haven't really hit a plateau yet, but haven't lost in weeks. My question for all of you (my apologies if it has been answered, but I only have gotten through the first couple pages of responses so far), are we talking 1800+ net, or before excercise? I have been pretty close to 1800 before workouts, but am considering upping a bit, just to see if I can ge tthe scale to move again :)
    most days i try to net 1845... so im eating closer to 2400 before exercise some days
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best posts I have seen here. I get nervous about eating too much but I try to eat 1400-1600. Getting my fitbit made me more comfortable upping it as it showed me that I was more active than I had thought so I changed MFP from sedentary to lightly active.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1990 but I started at about 2450? My starting weight was 354 and I'm down 35 lbs since Sept. 22, 2011

I did go off track a little so that's why it's taken so long....but I am still losing on average between 1.5 and 2lbs a week.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    awesome thread! i would never be able to make it on 1200 cals a day doing my Insanity workouts.
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... maybe I need to eat more! I'm currently set at 1440...
  • LoriInIowa
    LoriInIowa Posts: 113
    Options
    My starting cals on MFP is 1700. I'm 6' tall and weigh 189. I work out (bike, Zumba, Leslie Sansone DVDs) 5-6 days a week 30-75 minutes/session. BMR is basic metabolic rate, right? What is TDEE? Someone help a girl out?

I haven't seen any taller gals stats on this thread, so I'm not sure if I'm way off base on my numbers? I usually eat most of my exercise calories...saving my family from being cannibalized. :)

Thanks OP for starting the discussion!
    Lori
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I think I've been starving my body of much needed calories. i'm going to up my calories and see what happens!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    My starting cals on MFP is 1700. I'm 6' tall and weigh 189. I work out (bike, Zumba, Leslie Sansone DVDs) 5-6 days a week 30-75 minutes/session. BMR is basic metabolic rate, right? What is TDEE? Someone help a girl out?

I haven't seen any taller gals stats on this thread, so I'm not sure if I'm way off base on my numbers? I usually eat most of my exercise calories...saving my family from being cannibalized. :)

Thanks OP for starting the discussion!
    Lori
    yes, bmr is what you would need if you were in a coma.
    tdee is Total Daily Energy Expenditure ... the calories you need based on your daily activities.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I think MFP sets BMRs very low. Most sites I have visited with BMR calculators puts my BMR over 100+ calories up from MFP. I wonder how MFP comes up with their BMR formulas??
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bumping this up so I can go back and read ALL responses and check out all the links tonight at home after work and gym. Also will be sending out some friend requests to some of you (hope you don't mind) but I find you all inspiring and want to learn from you!

See you all soon!

Jennifer
  • LoriInIowa
    LoriInIowa Posts: 113
    Options

yes, bmr is what you would need if you were in a coma.
    tdee is Total Daily Energy Expenditure ... the calories you need based on your daily activities.

Thanks, rocker.

So how do you accurately determine TDEE? So appreciate any/all help. 72 pounds down....you'd think I'd have this figured out. Ha!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Thanks, rocker.

So how do you accurately determine TDEE? So appreciate any/all help. 72 pounds down....you'd think I'd have this figured out. Ha!
    MFP does it for you based on your stats and activity level, so no hard sums required!
  • Songbirdy
    Songbirdy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been loving this thread. I'd lost 60lbs+ on Weight Watchers but had plateaued since about November. (lost only 5 lbs from November through February).

In January/February I'd been struggling so much with feeling hungry *all the time* on the points system. And then my blood iron levels crashed. I went to the doctor because I'd been getting sick all winter which is so atypical for me. Plus I was gaining and loosing not breaking free really from the 200 lb mark, so frustrating!

He said to maintain for 3 months and take supplements to get my iron up as I'm drastically low.

WW's ended up kicking me off program because of the doctor's note. Which peeved me something fierce. I ended up here and for the last bit have been eating enough net calories to maintain my weight (over 2000) and feeling *so full all the time!*

Ironically I've shed 6 lbs just like that while here. Then I've read this thread and realized... WW's had me on far to few calories (I checked a series of random dates of my food diary there).

Now I'm pretty pleased to be here!

Another person for whom eating more has not resulted in weight gain!

For the record, between 5'11" and 6' tall, 195 lbs; heaviest weight (several years ago) was 287 lbs (nearly 10 yrs ago); started this time around at 256 lbs (May 2011).
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I normally eat 1700-1800 cals a day. Some days I'm not as hungry and it's closer to 1600, some days I'm ravenous and it's 1900-2000.
    I remember year before last when I went to my doctor about a knee problem, and I asked him about weight loss. He told me that for the activity I do (MMA), I should be taking in at least 1800 cals a day. I thought that was just crazy. I was on the Jillian Michael's diet at the time, taking in 1400 calories a day, and was losing ~very slowly~. Eating *more* did not make sense to me!
    Well, I got pregnant after that, then breastfeeding the baby, and once I got ready to start working out and dieting again, I wanted to make sure I did it safely. I read about how restricting calories can cause the toxins that are stored in your fat to be released into your breastmilk. So I just starting making daily exercise a priority and eating more calories. I also made nutrition more of a priority than weight loss--making sure I get enough protein, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, plenty of water.
    And I am down 30 pounds in 9 months. :happy: I now weigh the same as I did when hubby and I got married, except that now I'm toned and muscular to boot!

It makes me sad when I see my friends trying to stay around 1200 calories and beating themselves up when they go over that. I try to tell them to EAT! Take care of yourself!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I average between 1800 and 2100 a day, burn through cardio and heavy lifting, 600-800 cals 5-6 days a week. I've lost 70 lbs (90 if you count my pregnancy gain and re-loss :laugh: ) No way I could survive on 1300-1500 and still workout like I do..I'd be ripping people's heads off!

I re-qouted my original post cuz I wanted to provide an update for those just starting to up their calories and those who are still skeptical. As stated in oringinal post I have lost 70 lbs eating over 1800 cals/day. I have had a pregnancy during this process so if you add the pregnancy gain of 20 and re-loss of 20 lbs then it's 90 lbs lost lol My update to this is recently I have gotten serious about losing these last 50 lbs and in the past 5 weeks I have lost 11 more lbs bringing my total to 101 lbs lost eating MORE than 1800 calories a day. Last week I had a procedure done and had to take it easy a few days, continued eating at least 1800 cals and my workouts since have not been as intense as normal so I'm only doing 400-500 calorie burns and still lost 2 lbs this week. If you're just starting out you will probably see some gains at first as your body adjusts but trust your body and keep with it. I bet you see some amazing resluts!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Question to those who are eating 1600+ and losing...what are your macros? Where are most of your calories coming from - protein or carb??

I eat tons of protein, some fat and carbs. Most of my carbs come from fruit and veggies, not a lot of grains. Not because I'm a low carber or anything just what I prefer. I get about 180 grams of carbs, 50 gr healthy fats and 100 gr or more protein/day. Those are averages as I don't look at my cals/macros on a daily basis, I go by my weekly totals and average it out that way.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    This is an exciting thread !