Women who eat more than 1800 calories a day !!!!

Options

Replies

• hjfischer
    Options
    Love this thread.

I typically eat between 1600-2000 calories a day depending on my exercise level. I have Sunday as my 'cheat day', but that is also the day that I run 12-14 miles. I don't track calories that day. I am still trying to lose weight and have not lost anything for a few months, so I am back to tracking closely and trying to maintain 1600-1800 a day.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    On exercise days, I eat 2000-2200 usually, if I wind up counting. I probably eat that much on my rest day as well but definitely don't count. I'm down almost 30 lbs,most of it since October. I've lost over 37", including 5" off my belly, hips, and butt, each.
    I want to look and feel great but I like food too much to go hungry. I have a cold/ sinus infection right now that's giving me a pounding headache anytime I move and I'm trying to stick with 1500 calories per day since I haven't done a bit of exercise since Saturday. The lower calories/ lack of exercise is starting to make me cranky. I can't imagine trying to stay at 1200!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Bump * Great topic
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • b1791
    b1791 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread!

I started MFP last summer at the recommended 1200/day and after the first day I thought I was going to pass out! So I upped it to 1500/day and lost about 10lbs then I hit a plateau which I've been at ever since. I found if I was really good for a day at 1500 I would literally want to pig out the next day. Yesterday I upped again to 1800/day and for the first time in a long time I went to bed without feeling hungry. I'm crossing my fingers this will help.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm now on maintenance at 2000 calories a day....net. I've lost about 20lbs since last year, and had a 1/2lb per week goal, which allowed me 1770-1820 net. However, it is very rare I eat under 2000 calories. I usually average about 2200 probably, but stay around 1800 net with my exercise. I like food too much, I couldn't do the 1200 calorie thing....I'm usually at or over 1200 after lunch!
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I can't even tell you how good that run yesterday was and how STRONG I felt.... my legs were like pistons... bahahaha
    ( not really but felt like it)

I am loving this thread and your comment. I lost 75# years ago with WW (and kept it off) and over the past 2 years started getting serious about losing 20# more. I've lost a grand total of 5# since June 2011. I've been a major gym rat and runner for about 4 years. When I started working out I saw amazing gains in my speed, strength, and endurance. Once I got serious about counting calories (started with Lose It) I noticed not just a leveling off but a decline in my workout performance. I was eating 1200-1500 total per day and burning 750-850 a day/6 days a week doing HIIT, cardio, and strength training. The math made no sense (not losing) and I assumed my performance was declining because of aging. This thread makes me rethink that, especially with so many 'shredded' girls on here eating so much food. I've lifted heavy for 2 years and see no definition like some of you are seeing. Yesterday I read a thread that convinced me to try 1750 a day regardless of exercise and I'm going to give that a month, even though it scares me to death.

I wonder if I will see a gain in the beginning and how long it might last be\fore the numbers start going back down.

If I only see an increase in my workout performance I'll be thrilled. In the past two years my running speed has slowed and my max number of pushups has declined. I really wonder if fuel could be the culprit.

Stats:
    51 years old
    5'6"
    31.5% BF (in spite of working out hard 6-7x/week. This number has not changed in 2 years)

PS, be thankful if you have a good nutritionist. I took a 29 page spreadsheet that included my calories eaten, exercise, macro nutrients, etc. to a nutritionist and all I got was, "You're doing everything right. I don't know why you aren't losing. That will be $150 please." I'd love to find one who understands fat loss and muscle building.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've shed over 130 pounds and decreased my body fat from 56% to 23%

I eat an average of 2000-ish calories/day now - usually more.

Then:
    37600_139117492784657_100000592214278_278412_3914396_n.jpg?t=1313509239

Now:
    106_0702.jpg
    017-6.jpg?t=1330218788
    **Please ignore the ugly tummy skin (side effect of shedding massive amounts of weight after being obese for years after having a 9 pound child at the ripe old age of 18)

Don't be silly you have done so well- look at your arms! Your body fat is way lower than mine too!

I think you look amazing and would not likely have noticed!!! I agree with the above poster, your arms look great - well done!! :flowerforyou:

To the OP - thank you sooo much for this post, great information here and it is good to see what people have accomplished with higher caloric intake.

Welcome ! I am so very glad I asked the question and for some responses.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    I can't even tell you how good that run yesterday was and how STRONG I felt.... my legs were like pistons... bahahaha

I am loving this thread and your comment. I lost 75# years ago with WW (and kept it off) and over the past 2 years started getting serious about losing 20# more. I've lost a grand total of 5# since June 2011. I've been a major gym rat and runner for about 4 years. When I started working out I saw amazing gains in my speed, strength, and endurance. Once I got serious about counting calories (started with Lose It) I noticed not just a leveling off but a decline in my workout performance. I was eating 1200-1500 total per day and burning 750-850 a day/6 days a week doing HIIT, cardio, and strength training. The math made no sense (not losing) and I assumed my performance was declining because of aging. This thread makes me rethink that, especially with so many 'shredded' girls on here eating so much food. I've lifted heavy for 2 years and see no definition like some of you are seeing. Yesterday I read a thread that convinced me to try 1750 a day regardless of exercise and I'm going to give that a month, even though it scares me to death.

I wonder if I will see a gain in the beginning and how long it might last be\fore the numbers start going back down.

If I only see an increase in my workout performance I'll be thrilled. In the past two years my running speed has slowed and my max number of pushups has declined. I really wonder if fuel could be the culprit.

Stats:
    51 years old
    5'6"
    31.5% BF (in spite of working out hard 6-7x/week. This number has not changed in 2 years)

PS, be thankful if you have a good nutritionist. I took a 29 page spreadsheet that included my calories eaten, exercise, macro nutrients, etc. to a nutritionist and all I got was, "You're doing everything right. I don't know why you aren't losing. That will be $150 please." I'd love to find one who understands fat loss and muscle building.

It would not surprise me if FUEL has been your issue. I don't even know how to describe yesterday's run, I was properly fueled and had tons of water in me, ( so much so I had to get off the treadmill and go pee then back on it lol ) I just felt energized and full of myself haha.... had not felt that in weeks.

By the time I went to the gym yesterday for my run I has 1055 calories into me already ..... that's why I felt great !
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread!!! Glad I ran into it. Very motivational!!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I've shed over 130 pounds and decreased my body fat from 56% to 23%

I eat an average of 2000-ish calories/day now - usually more.

Then:
    37600_139117492784657_100000592214278_278412_3914396_n.jpg?t=1313509239

Now:
    106_0702.jpg
    017-6.jpg?t=1330218788
    **Please ignore the ugly tummy skin (side effect of shedding massive amounts of weight after being obese for years after having a 9 pound child at the ripe old age of 18)

You are such an inspiration!!!
  • larlab
    larlab Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Stats:
    51 years old
    5'6"

This is how I feel, except I'm in the distance runner category not a gym rat (all my cross training is done here at home- plus pilates/yoga etc). :) The ONLY time I saw weight loss while running was when half marathon mileage peaked w/ long runs of 9-11 miles.... otherwise, it looks perfect on paper- but it DOESN'T WORK RE WEIGHTLOSS.

I'm trying to net at least 1700 cal per day, which means I have to eat 1900-2200 depending on workout. I wish I enjoyed it more- perhaps if I actually start losing weight again at some point, I won't feel like I'm choking down food.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting - it is so nice to see so many people eating! I got as low as 1300 calories but was exercising so I'd be able to eat back the exercise calories. I did lose about 15 lbs this way and decided I had enough and upped my calories to 1500 plus my exercise calories. It took about a week to adjust to the change, but I was losing weight there (though a little bit slower). I felt so much better - had more energy and worked out for the enjoyment not just to prevent the hangries. I then decided to start NROL4W and so upped my calories again. I'm still playing with them to find the magic number (i haven't lost or gained in the last two weeks - at least according to the scale). Currently I eat at least 1800 a day (though I net closer to 1400). I love it and really, really feel bad for my friends who only eat 1200. Life is too short!
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Bumping to read later! I just upped my calories and this is just what I needed to read today!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My maintenance NET seems to be around 2400 or so. I lost at 1200 because mfp said I should, but lost so fast that it must have been mainly muscle (my arms looked horrid!). So if I want to lose, in future, I'll stick to 2000 kcal, take it slow and lose less muscle.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    Good thinking Oishii !!
  • Cityperks
    Cityperks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump....
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    My diary is public, you can take a look at it. i eat anywhere from 1700-2000 calories.

i've lost 30lbs so far, went from a size 16 pants to a size 11(and they're getting baggy) and an XXL top to a L

from this
    meaug1shirt.jpg

to this
    jan19-2-1.jpg
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump