EX-SMOKERS PLEASE.

Options

Replies

• tina9988
    tina9988 Posts: 369
    Options
    I quit about 6 weeks ago and I started on MFP about 4 weeks ago. I say quit first then deal with the weight, just don't wait too long. Carrying an extra 5lbs is a lot better than lung cancer. Quit today! Nobody is ever sorry that they quit smoking! If you are really worried about the weight then stock up on healthy snacks like carrots and celery or grapes.And drink a lot of water. Good Luck!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    There's always a good reason to keep smoking.
    There are a lot more good reasons to quit.
    Quit. Stay on here. There's plenty of support.
    Put aside your fear.
  • Kidjwhite
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight. I smoked for 15 years at least a pack a day. One day I had enough. I was tired of walking up stairs and being out of breath. I just quit cold turkey and have only had 2 cigarettes in the past 3 years. What worked for me was I found out I liked doing exercise again b/c I COULD ACTUALLY BREATHE. All I did was walks and didn't put on a pound. You got this!!
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just quit smoking yesterday so I guess I can't really tell you yes or no, BUT I went on Wellbutrin to help me quit and it's said to reduce symptoms of withdrawl and help curb the weight gain because it's an appetite suppressant.

Smoking burns an extra 200-250 calories/week because it helps raise your metabolism...so burn an extra 200-250/day and you should be good!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking doesn't cause weight gain. Over-eating does. The benefits of quitting far outweigh the few pounds you "may" gain if you temporarily compensate with food. You can lose a few pounds. Cardiovascular disease, lung cancer, emphysema, heart attacks, stroke, etc. are forever. Quit today! Quitting was one of the best things I did for myself. :smile:
  • LadyFluff
    Options
    So everyone keeps telling me if I stop smoking I'll gain weight, is that true? They had proof behind it too... but I still don't know.. :/

I've always heard you gain some weight.. IDK I quit smoking 2 years ago and in my experience I did gain weight in the beginning but I'm back in track now :)

good luck
  • foramanwhohashope
    foramanwhohashope Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think it'd be easy to quit smoking if I was back home, but I'm overseas on a deployment.
    There's so much stress everyday that it's like what I look forward to. I mean, other then working out there's nothing to do with the spare time that I get.
  • tcmay72
    tcmay72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When i quit i did gain, however it was before i found this site. I must say even with the weight gain its SOOOOO worth it:0)
  • butterfliespink
    Options
    GUM!! Gum is my best friend. And I take straws and cut them into thirds and chew on them when I am out of gum. And I chew on pens lol!! But I only smoke 2 a day now (trying to kick the after dinner smoking).
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I gained, but I quit when I found out I was pregnant with twins, so that doesn't count. But I can say that after I had the little ones I went back to my pre-pregnancy weight. It has been almost 4 years and I am so glad to be a quitter!

I agree with everyone here. It all depends on how you work it. How are you going to deal with the stress and frustration? If it's food then you will gain, if it is exercise then you will be fine. Have a plan on how you will deal with the tough situations!
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    I quit smoking 4 months ago, i have not gained any weight. I do feel much better!!
  • LuLuSUPER
    Options
    You can chose your way to quit. Smoking kept my appetite away and once I quit EVERYTHING tasted better! Like having 24hr munchies ! So it took me 4months to balance out but after that I worked out more and building endurance turned me away from munching and smoking all together. But I made up mind that I was going to live better. So cliche, but you will chose your destiny. Good luck and remember MFP family got your back!!
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It's just a craving killer ... I remember when I was smoking I would want to grab a candy bar, but said eh, I'll go have a smoke ... that's healthier ... lol ... I'm sure there are two sides to that! :)

I guess I'm just saying that nicotine calmed my appetite ... made me want to eat less ... probably cuz I was making my body slightly sick each time ;) ... so when the smokes were gone, I wanted to reach for something else.

I'm sure people have some great tips ... but it comes down to the fact of reminding yourself you want to quit ... it is GOING to be a struggle ... no tricks ... and yes, you may develop cravings ... so it takes effort and strength.

On the flipside ... unless you go nuts, so you gain 10 pounds the first few months after quitting ... I'd rather work at losing that 10 pounds than having to continue dealing with smoking ...

Just don't beat yourself up ... it will take effort, but it's worth it.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Focus on other things and you will be fine, you are already combatting the weight gain just focus more on your workout routine and cooking healthy.

I quit 1.5 years ago and gained a bit, I joined MFP and have thoroughly enjoyed my journey back to healthy and smoke free. I also lost everything I gained and am in better shape than I have been in since being a teenager.

The weight gain effects of quitting smoking are temporary and not evryone has weight gain. Giving them up will be the best thing you could ever do for yourself.
  • sweettooth29
    Options
    I have been quit smoking for 13 months now and I gained allot of weight after quiting but it was because when I would normally smoke for example before bedtime I would snack instead. I realized I was doing it and tried to avoid snacking but still gained and did so up untill the last two months and now I am doing good and loosing weight. I wish you best of luck with both,If you have good self control you can quit and not gain. Even if you do gain you will be glad you quit smoking it was worth it to me.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Its up to you whether you gain weight or not. The act of quitting doesn't make you gain weight. The sitting on your *kitten* and eating does that. I gained 10 lbs. when I quit smoking but I don't carry that 10 lbs. anymore. Quitting was the best thing I ever did for myself. I used the patches and my brother quit at the same time so we supported each other. That was 15 years ago. Good Luck.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 30 years; quit cold turkey in 2009 and have gained about 10 or 12 pounds. I hate that I gained, but I am working to take it off. I know there are many people with a lot more than 10 pounds to lose so I am grateful I haven't gained more.

I was careful not to eat more but the food tasted SO GOOD. I guess what they say is true - a smoker's sense of taste isn't as keen as a non smokers. Be careful of that. I never ate sweets as a smoker, but now adore them. Oh and smoking did raise my metabolism.

Looking back, quitting was the healthiest gift I could give my body. I'm now working on losing, toning and getting healthy. It's my gift to myself! That being said - I still crave a cigarette on a daily basis! I just don't give in.

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you need some support. It's difficult, but it can be done.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on your body. I quit December 9th At the time I had lost 45 pounds and worked out every day. I have given up pop and was eating a lower sodium, lower carbs, lower fat and WAY lower calorie diet. Everything I changed in my diet was met with no resistance. When I quit smoking and took the nicotine away from my system my body threw a temper tantrum! My metabolism tanked and even with increased exercise and watching calorie intake I still gained almost 15 pounds! I spoke with doctor about it and started taking a metabolism boosting vitamin. (gnc women's ultra mega active packs) In the past 3 weeks I have started losing again and my energy level has increased.

It was worth the 15 pounds to be rid of the smoking albatross that has been around my neck for 28 years.

If I was to do it again I would start taking the vitamins the day I quit smoking....
    My craving fighter?? Jumping jacks! I hate them. Every time I would crave a cigarette I would force myself to do jumping jacks until the urge passed!!!
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ohhh and set your quit date far enough in advance to give your brain time to prepare. I set my date 2 months in advance so I had plenty of time to smoke myself silly!
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I quit cold turkey about 2 years ago. I was afraid of the same thing, but I fixed my fixations with sugar free gum and started drinking wayyy more water. As long as you don't try to treat your fixations with food, you should be good to go!