peanut butter- yay or nay ?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter can be healthy, but only if you get the natural kinds... not the Jif or Skippy we grew up with. Those have lots of bad stuff in them.

The Jif and Skippy natural versions do not have "lots of bad stuff in them."

Just sayin'.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I LOVE peanut butter, that's why I can't buy it or have it at home.
    Because it's a severe weakness and I can't control myself.

So, out of my sight, out of my heart.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Love the pb2 powder. All the protein, much less fat etc. Adds nice to yogurt, smoothies, etc. Good protein source for muscle recovery after a hard workout.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Yay. And I go for the natural kind. Just ground peanuts. No sugar, no added oils.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day Im an addict and I lose consistantly. :)
  • marcjx
    marcjx Posts: 20
    Options
    I love peanut butter and im gonna eat it no matter what, just cutting it down as it's really fatty, but small amounts are fine im sure.
  • jaguar101570
    Options
    Absolutely yay- it contains mono and poly-unsaturated fats and the good ones contain more protein than carbs! Eat away!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Yay. And I go for the natural kind. Just ground peanuts. No sugar, no added oils.
    How do you use that stuff? Do you have to mix it up every time you use it? What happens if you dump the oil out
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Hell to the yes

I would suggest all natural without all the added sugar and crap.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    PB2!! It's muh friend!!
    I made an AMAZING dessert with it last night...

Get a skillet & cook down apples in some orange juice & 5 TBSP of PB2. Once they get semicooked, dump the mix in a casserole dish. Sprinkle some flour, quick oats and pour in some almond milk...maybe toss in a couple of flavored creamers. Top with a little bit more oats & finish with spray butter!! Bake until it's all bubbly & the oats are like a crust!!

OMG..it was awesome!! only 99 cals a serving!!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I mostly just do pb2 now because peanut butter is hard to stop at a serving. Plus, I can't usually afford the calories. I have a huge appetite, so spending 200 calories on a tiny amount of peanut butter doesn't usually make sense in my day. However.... if you have room for it in your calories... DEFINITELY go for it, because it's just so freaking delicious :D
  • whasara
    Options
    I eat a very thin layer on my toast every morning. If you only eat one serving it is very good for you. BUT, it is a challenge to stick to one serving. If you can have just one serving and can afford the 180 calories, go ahead. If you can't eat just one serving, then stay away. I have found cheese to be the same way for me!
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love love LOVE Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter with strawberries. It's a go to snack for me, completely addicted. When I'm on the go I'll mix 2T PB with no sugar added applesauce and it's pretty awesome too :)
  • jpfrimmer
    Options
    I love peanut butter! But we make our own. Just put raw peanuts into a food processor and let it go. It turns to a dust at first but then it balls up and turns into peanut butter. No added salt, sugar, or oil. It's better for you and it has a few less cals than store bought! Next I want to try PB 2 but I haven't found it in any stores around here.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have heard that after a workout a person should have some sort of protien to help the muscles reboost. My Son always had a spoonfull or two of peanut butter after his runs. I did it the other day but only a teaspoon because of the cal. count.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    How do you use that stuff? Do you have to mix it up every time you use it? What happens if you dump the oil out

you mix the natural stuff once then into the refrigerator. It gets stiffer but doesnt seperate again. If you dump the oil out it will be very dry and you will loe some of the good taste and good fat.
  • lapointemarie
    Options
    I say nay, I prefer to make almond bark with dark chocolate & enjoy the benefits without all the sugar & unnecessary calories. The dark chocolate helps boost the immune system & the almonds are great for protein etc. Old wives tale: Almonds are good for decreasing arthritis inflammation.
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter! But we make our own. Just put raw peanuts into a food processor and let it go. It turns to a dust at first but then it balls up and turns into peanut butter. No added salt, sugar, or oil. It's better for you and it has a few less cals than store bought! Next I want to try PB 2 but I haven't found it in any stores around here.

I looked up the PB2 on the manufacturer's website and you can search by your area to find stores in your area that carry it. I am planning on getting some this weekend after all the positive comments. Going to also try your method on the homemade natural PB!
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Every. Single. Day.

Smucker's natural if I have the calories to "spend"

PB2 if I don't.

mmmm... peanut butter...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Some health food stores do carry PB2. I order it on line from Netrition.com You can also get it from Bell Plantation.com, but their shipping is pricier.

Re: protein - it's not as high in protein as regular PB, but the fat is reduced by 85%. It also comes in Chocolate & peanut butter flavored. I use PB2 in my morning oatmeal - Yum!