peanut butter- yay or nay ?

Options

Replies

• jenbooks
    jenbooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter but it's hard for me to get the right amount. I've come to understand that peanut butter & apples are a no-go for me, because my peanut butter to apple ratio is WAY too high. Other than that, I can properly ration it out though. :laugh:
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    I dig it.
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If I want pb, I need to eat a lot of it. Cuz my dog has these big brown eyes that stare me down until he gets half my toast :sad:
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is the best. Tastes good and fills you with energy. Id suggest eating it before a work out.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    PB is one of those things that I really have to weigh when I measure servings though. If I don't, then I'm almost 100% likely to over serve myself.

As far as brands go, I usually get Simply Jif.
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    HELL YAY!!! It's a great way to get some protein and healthy fats. Besides, it's so tasty. I add it to most of my shakes along with some chocolate protein powder and maybe a banana. :-D
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter's a great way to boost your calorie intake if you find it hard to get them all. Even though it is quite high in calories it's filling and yummy too!

That is one of the many reasons why I love PB :) I haven't got much of an appetite so it's perfect for me!

(I say "one of many reasons": actually, the only other reason why I love it is because it's so so yummy!)
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    IF and only IF you measure carefully and control your portions. I forgot this little fact and just eye balled peanut butter. After 1 week I had gained 6 lbs...very very bad! But with control it is good source of protein and fat (yes, the good fat that everyone needs a little of in their diet).

To gain six pounds in a week, you'd have to overeat by 21,000 calories. At 100 calories / tablespoon (I've round up), that's 210 tablespoons, or 30 per day..or about 1 pound of peanut butter a day. That's a lot of PB....
  • brookebattaglia
    Options
    I have to say that I absolutely LOVE peanut butter, but today when I was putting it into MFP to look at the nutritional value I was shocked by how many calories a little dabble of peanut butter really is....I'd much rather have a 90 calorie pack instead!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I've had 5Tbs today. Very yay.
  • Foxyroxy14
    Options
    I eat peanut butter on an apple just about every day and find it is a great tool for loosing weight. Yes, it has lots of calories so measuring is important, but the protein and fat (combined with the natural sugar and fiber in the apple) are very satiating.

THIS IS ONE MY FAVORITE TREATS WHEN I'M CRAVING SOMETHING SWEET. ALSO I USUALLY EAT PETER PAN LOW FAT AND SARA LEE 45 CAL BREAD EVERY MORNING.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter....YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
  • tigerkittyskf
    Options
    Total YAY!!!! Great source of protein and a spoonful helps fight off the afternoon munchies. :)
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It's great before or after a workout. I usually eat a spoonful before a workout.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I eat it regularly.....but I have to weigh it and put the jar back in the pantry!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Yay, Smart Balance Peanut Butter with flax oil is wonderful. Only 48 calories for 1/2 tablespoon.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to love P.b.
    It' s has a decent amount of sugar and salt which makes it tasty and addictive. It's hard to stop at a little.....
    (I'll probably cop a bit of flack, so I'll go now!)

Don't get the crap that calls itself peanut butter. There are plenty of brands that are simply peanuts.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    PB. I LOVE PB!!! However, one of my children is allergic so we don't keep it in the house. :cry:
  • vabrewer33
    Options
    IF and only IF you measure carefully and control your portions. I forgot this little fact and just eye balled peanut butter. After 1 week I had gained 6 lbs...very very bad! But with control it is good source of protein and fat (yes, the good fat that everyone needs a little of in their diet).

To gain six pounds in a week, you'd have to overeat by 21,000 calories. At 100 calories / tablespoon (I've round up), that's 210 tablespoons, or 30 per day..or about 1 pound of peanut butter a day. That's a lot of PB....

Well when you put it that way....so it wasn't all from the peanut butter but I don't think it helped. my body is very picky and gains weight even when I do everything right. I think PB is just not a good choice for me except on special occasions.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Dude, it's peanut butter! What could you *possibly* have against peanut butter??