Who hates running?!

Options

Replies

• emfilomena
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with running. It's my main source for cardio, but there are days when I absolutely despise putting on my running shoes, ugh. The benefits far outweigh the negatives (there are hardly any).

You could try exercise DVDs. A lot of people seem to be a fan of the 30 Day Shred, anything involving Jillian Michaels, P90x, Insanity, Zumba, etc.

There's also classes you could take at a local community center or gym such as yoga, pilates, kickboxing, dancing, amongst others. If you can get to a gym they usually have ellipticals, stair masters, stationary bicycles, arc trainers, etc.

There's also swimming, jump rope, bicycling, hiking, rowing, rock climbing, etc.

I hope some of these ideas pique your interest : )
  • tmlandis
    tmlandis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hate running and I'm in the military where we need to run for our Physical Test.

I was the same way! I was in the Army and I HATED running. Now that I'm out I find I really enjoy it, but it's because I can run at my own pace, when I want to and nobody is yelling at me to run farther or faster. It took me TWO YEARS to get off my *kitten* after I got out. I refused to ever do a pushup again or even think about running, but hey that really wasn't working out for me.

Elliptical is a good option, a lot less impact and you can distract yourself with some TV or music.
  • lightstruck1
    lightstruck1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love running! haha.
    Have you tried hiking, cycling, roller blading, or just walking?
    If you want something inside I would recommend stationary bike or elliptical.
    If you hate running because of people seeing you, try inside! I do both, but when I run inside I put on an intense TV show and I'm distracted the whole time!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    rollerblade.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh.... you're not joking. I used to rollerblade as a kid. I would DIE now. Kinda like riding a bike, yea you never forget, but it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt like a mofo!

crash pads. padded shorts that make the pain not happen.

not that i've ever used such a thing :smokin:

more or less talking aching muscles pain! lol
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I LOVE exercising and doing very high intensive cardio but I've never enjoyed running. Try Kickboxing or HIIT (Circuit Trainings) if you want to do anaerobic exercises. I really "hate" running but I've always wanted to run a marathon so I signed up for a half marathon and am now training for it! Let's see if I learn to love it.
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    rollerblade.

I love rollerblading. SO much!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    <snip>
    There's also swimming, jump rope, bicycling, hiking, rowing, rock climbing, etc.

I hope some of these ideas pique your interest : )

I actually really like jump roping!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I do walking, cycling, swimming, and ski machine. Just don't like to run.
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm not particularly fond of it, but I do it anyway. It's really hard, but It's a good calorie burn, and I hate the feeling that I *can't* do something, so when I find something really challenging I push myself to do it even if I don't like it.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    I'm not particularly fond of it, but I do it anyway. It's really hard, but It's a good calorie burn, and I hate the feeling that I *can't* do something, so when I find something really challenging I push myself to do it even if I don't like it.

this is where my problem lies. I HATE running, so I don't want to do it, and I don't make myself because my mind hates it too...
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i hate running. my knees and back hate it. i can't breathe properly and look and feel like i'm going to have a heart attack.

i don't do it, because the risk of injury is just too high for me, so i don't risk it anymore. my body isn't made for running, so i don't want to destroy my knees running, therefore ruin all my hard work over something i hate doing.
  • Venomous36
    Venomous36 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...thisis funny but so true. Try finding local trails and parks and enjoy the scenery :)
  • abbiecat
    Options
    I have the same problem: I hate running. It's boring and you only burn 100 calories per mile (roughly).
    Try spinning, it's a really good cardio-vascular exercise and gets you very fit, it's also low impact for your joints and far from boring! Or try aerobics classes like body combat or zumba, there's so much variety in the routines you won't get bored and before you know it, an hour has passed. Also you don't have to worry about being outside looking hot and sweaty, everyone else in an aerobics class is in the same boat, they'll be just as sweaty and gross looking!
    Oh and I feel your pain re: duct taping down your boobs! Try shock absorber level 4 bras.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Eff running. Yay everything else.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hate running and I'm in the military where we need to run for our Physical Test.

Uncle Sam and his PFT are exactly why i find running to be morally reprehensible!! When i was light enough, Mountain biking was my torture of choice. In a few more pounds I will be able to dig the old bike out of storage and resume the torture yet again.
  • trail_turtle
    trail_turtle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...thisis funny but so true. Try finding local trails and parks and enjoy the scenery :)

^^What she said! :)
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Oh I hate running. My shins are apparently not built for that activity. Knees, ankles and feet do fine, but my shins... I can barely walk the next day. I LOVE the elliptical, and biking. Step classes are fun, and Zumba looks fun, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I always loathed it too. Now that I'm starting slow and working my way up gradually I enjoy it a lot more. Having a plan to go by has helped tremendously, I think.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Do you have a group of friends who run?

The only times I've enjoyed running and kept with that as training is when trail running or when running with some friends. Trail running is so varied you never get into that plodding, constant pace (ie...boring), but that is also why it's harder. Running with friends provided motivation to keep up / keep going and distraction from how my body felt.

If the shoes are a comfort or fit problem, go to a good running store and have them fit you with a pair of shoes.

As for alternatives: Walking, swimming, rollerblade (already mentioned) and cycling. Best calorie burning exercise I've found is hiking in the mountains, but you may or may not have mountains nearby.