Who hates running?!

Options

Replies

• JenS_1678
    Options
    I don't hate running, I actually sometimes enjoy it. But I get such anxiety about going running that I can never get myself to go- I'm always too concerned about people judging me.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Why do you hate running?

Actually I used to hate it! Now im really getting into it. I did my first 5k last year just to challenge myself, now I'm signed up for a 10k.

Try kickboxing at a real boxing club! Its a brutal work out.. You'll never sweat so hard in your life.

what's not to hate? You have to wear tennis shoes, I have to strap down my boobs with duct tape and tight bras so my boobies don't bounce all over the place (ok, not duct tape, but you get the point) people drive by you and see your red, sweaty face and giggling body, you run and run and run and end up where you started.... IDK I just hate it

I am so with you on that!
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I get nightmares when I think of running. I remember when I was in the army and we had running days. My heart would drop into my stomach just dreading it cuz I just couldn't find a breathing rythm plus it doesn't help when you only have 1 1/2 lungs working. But if it was any other type of cardio I was just fine.
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    I used to hate running too, but now I find it very rewarding (took quite a while) :wink: . How about biking? Just a scenic but not quite as difficult to wrap your mind around.
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Skipping is always a fun alternative. But only if you sing at the same time.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I used to be in your same boat...I HATED running. And I grew up with a father who ran daily, and a sister who did, too. Heck, I even did triathlons as a kid and hated running then. I am doing the Couch to 5k plan now and LOVE it. In fact, this past weekend I realized I was actually looking forward to it. Granted, I doubt I will feel that way on my 2 mile run with no walking this week, but hey...
    However, if it is something you don't want to try, try swimming. It is physically the best work out you can do with the most impact and lowest risk of injury to the body.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I tried running. I really did. I hated every step. My knees, shins, ankles and feet would be burning within a few steps. Better shoes only helped a little.
    I rollerblade instead. Really. Monday through Thursday I go to the local greenway on my lunch hour. I burn twice the calories of walking for the same time. I had to relearn how to skate but within a few weeks I was going 4 miles in 36 minutes. Now I'm doing 4.8 miles in 38 minutes. I would go longer but right after the 1.2 mile mark there's a bridge and downhill s-curve that is suicidal on skates. I go to the 1.2 mile mark and back twice. It's good for my legs and gets my heart rate up. Best of all, it's not running.
  • AActon28
    Options
    I also HATE running. In high school I ran an 11.3 sec 100m but chose to throw shot and discus because I hate running (coach wasn't happy). Now that I've been out of HS for ten years and packed on about 60 lbs I have developed bad shin splints or medial tibial stress syndrome. As such, I can't run comfortably even if I wanted to. I have found a number of alternatives such as walking, hiking, biking, walking stairs, rollerblading *self-loathing scoff*, p90x, insanity, rushfit, etc. I would highly recommend Insanity if you don't mind paying $100+ or, if you are against SOPA, downloading illegally from Pirate Bay, BTjunkie, etc. For some reason, the high impact plyometrics of Insanity do not phase my shins but a simple 7 mph run destroys them within 1/2 mile.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I do!
    Well, I always have... I'm thinking about giving another shot this spring though now that I am more fit from doing p90x and Jillian's dvds. We shall see.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i wish i could run. i love the feeling of "yes i'm moving this quickly under my own power!" but unfortunately i'm too fat to do it comfortably as yet and my knees and particularly my right ankle which is still strengthening after having a torn ligament, do not like me running.

so instead i do the elliptical or stationary bike in front of the tv during my favorite hour long TV shows, i play dance type games on my wii, i do DVDs with instructors that i feel are trying to kill me, and i walk as much as possible. once we settle down and aren't moving annually i will be purchasing a bicycle, roller blades, and probably some good hiking boots. and hopefully getting a membership at a gym or Y with a pool so i can swim. (my inner fitness nut is dying to get out)
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it and will never do it again!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Not fond of running my self, too jarring on my joints. I will walk fast to hell and back though LOL.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options

What song do you sing when you skip?
  • alli4350
    Options
    I also hate running but I really enjoy kick boxing.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Hate running and I'm in the military where we need to run for our Physical Test.
    Yea twice a year, it's a joke.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Hate running and I'm in the military where we need to run for our Physical Test.

Love running and in the military! The military made me love it from hating it... after getting me fit on brutal runs, as soon as I could run because I WANTED to at my own pace and knowing I could do decent runs, made me love it...

What makes you hate it?

Same here, hated running before, after military, was LOVING IT.
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options

What song do you sing when you skip?

Something you'd likely sing if on a yellow brick road or if you were a little blue creature that lives in a mushroom.
  • catherinepodmore
    Options
    Do i need to do the exercise in my plan for my weight loss to be on track or is just sticking to my planned kcal enough?
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I use to love running, then I hated running for a very very long time.

The reason I use to hate running was 1. it would hurt my shins, 2. I always felt out of breathe.

But now I love running. I love it because I have better cardio vascular fitness, I don't get shin splints any more and I don't get out of breathe.

The reason you are getting shin splints is most likely that you are going to hard to fast. And breathing right will also help too. I just changed my breathing technique and made a world of difference, stopped hyperventilating and feeling like I was always gasping for air.

try intervals or fartlek (it's a sporatic interval training program).

There are loads of other suggestions for cardio alternatives that the others have posted. hope it helps.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I spent the whole time fantasizing about getting hit by a car so I could stop.

You made my day :bigsmile: