Piercings & Gauges... Like them, hate them, or have them?

Options

Replies

• BetrayedBeauty
    Options
    *Disclaimer-- all "you" references in the following post are general and not directed solely at the quoted person.

You absolutely have the freedom to look however you want. I also have the freedom to think it makes you look like a freak. I completely and totally disagree with anyone becoming violent because of it but I don't need to "accept it" and I don't need to hire you if you don't fit the norm of how I want my company to be represented. Oh I'm sure someone will come back and say "Well you may be missing out on hiring someone wonderful then." Yea, I doubt that someone with Hotwheel tires in their ears is really going to be the absolute best fit above and beyond a person who looks normal.

Why should I have to accept you as looking normal when you've gone out of your way to intentionally try to look abnormal? That makes no sense at all. You didn't get tattoos and piercings and stick Hotwheel tires in your ears so you would fit in with regular society. Why would you get offended when it works and you no longer fit in? If I wear short shorts and skimpy tops and try to look like a tramp I'm not going to get offended if someone thinks I look like a tramp. That's my goal. If I put my hair up, put on my glasses, button my collar to the top and wear a long skirt I'm not going to get offended if people think I look like I'm uptight. That's my goal. So why do people who do weird things to alter their body get offended when people think they look weird? If that wasn't your goal then what was? It's obviously not to look normal. You wouldn't have Hotwheel tires in your ears and neck tattoos if that were the case.

Sure you're entitled to your opinions, to hire or not whoever based on your judgmental mindset, that doesn't mean you're a better person than the freak who has piercings, tattoos and a weird haircut, etc. Appearances have nothing to do with the quality as a person. And trust me, I'm not offended by any of your comments or classifications towards those like us with piercings and tattoos, I'm just stating my opinion in a general way that it is amazing people would rather jump into conclussions just because of how someone looks instead of seeing what kind of person they really are. Clear example? Priests who sexually abuse children. They all look neat and give the image of men of God, yet they do evil things. Those who wear ties and suits, yet they sexual harasse women at their workplace or even rape them in some cases. And the list goes on and on.

This stupidity starts at a very early age, and although adults focus more on classifying people with "names", when in school kids go beyond names and make the life, of those other kids with an alternative style, impossible. They only grow to be less aggressive physically but they're still playing the name calling.
    I never said I was better than someone else and I never said it shows the quality of the person. But my first impression of someone with a neck tattoo and a spike through his nose isn't going to be the same as that of the person without those things. Yours won't be either. Whether you think the tattoos and spikes and hotwheel tires in the earlobes makes the person look cool or the khakis and polo shirt make the clean cut guy look boring, everyone makes a judgement based on first impressions and those first impressions are more often than not how someone looks.

To the last bit in this mess:

Actually, to base your opinion on appearance, in my opinion, is SHALLOW. Everyone is different in their own ways, and some like to make it more evident as to how they like to present themselves. First impression, or 1,000th one. It shouldn't matter what the person looks like. I've known plenty of ALL types to be not even close to what they looked like they would be. Some with tattoos and piercings may be overly religious (I know quite a few.), or the ones in A&E actually being quite giving and modest. Everyone does their own thing, but it is not a reason to judge them. As the last post said, " everyone makes a judgement based on first impressions and those first impressions are more often than not how someone looks." But I could not agree less.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    *Disclaimer-- all "you" references in the following post are general and not directed solely at the quoted person.

You absolutely have the freedom to look however you want. I also have the freedom to think it makes you look like a freak. I completely and totally disagree with anyone becoming violent because of it but I don't need to "accept it" and I don't need to hire you if you don't fit the norm of how I want my company to be represented. Oh I'm sure someone will come back and say "Well you may be missing out on hiring someone wonderful then." Yea, I doubt that someone with Hotwheel tires in their ears is really going to be the absolute best fit above and beyond a person who looks normal.

Why should I have to accept you as looking normal when you've gone out of your way to intentionally try to look abnormal? That makes no sense at all. You didn't get tattoos and piercings and stick Hotwheel tires in your ears so you would fit in with regular society. Why would you get offended when it works and you no longer fit in? If I wear short shorts and skimpy tops and try to look like a tramp I'm not going to get offended if someone thinks I look like a tramp. That's my goal. If I put my hair up, put on my glasses, button my collar to the top and wear a long skirt I'm not going to get offended if people think I look like I'm uptight. That's my goal. So why do people who do weird things to alter their body get offended when people think they look weird? If that wasn't your goal then what was? It's obviously not to look normal. You wouldn't have Hotwheel tires in your ears and neck tattoos if that were the case.

Sure you're entitled to your opinions, to hire or not whoever based on your judgmental mindset, that doesn't mean you're a better person than the freak who has piercings, tattoos and a weird haircut, etc. Appearances have nothing to do with the quality as a person. And trust me, I'm not offended by any of your comments or classifications towards those like us with piercings and tattoos, I'm just stating my opinion in a general way that it is amazing people would rather jump into conclussions just because of how someone looks instead of seeing what kind of person they really are. Clear example? Priests who sexually abuse children. They all look neat and give the image of men of God, yet they do evil things. Those who wear ties and suits, yet they sexual harasse women at their workplace or even rape them in some cases. And the list goes on and on.

This stupidity starts at a very early age, and although adults focus more on classifying people with "names", when in school kids go beyond names and make the life, of those other kids with an alternative style, impossible. They only grow to be less aggressive physically but they're still playing the name calling.
    I never said I was better than someone else and I never said it shows the quality of the person. But my first impression of someone with a neck tattoo and a spike through his nose isn't going to be the same as that of the person without those things. Yours won't be either. Whether you think the tattoos and spikes and hotwheel tires in the earlobes makes the person look cool or the khakis and polo shirt make the clean cut guy look boring, everyone makes a judgement based on first impressions and those first impressions are more often than not how someone looks.

To the last bit in this mess:

Actually, to base your opinion on appearance, in my opinion, is SHALLOW. Everyone is different in their own ways, and some like to make it more evident as to how they like to present themselves. First impression, or 1,000th one. It shouldn't matter what the person looks like. I've known plenty of ALL types to be not even close to what they looked like they would be. Some with tattoos and piercings may be overly religious (I know quite a few.), or the ones in A&E actually being quite giving and modest. Everyone does their own thing, but it is not a reason to judge them. As the last post said, " everyone makes a judgement based on first impressions and those first impressions are more often than not how someone looks." But I could not agree less.

it doesn't matter if you agree or not, it's human nature...that humans pass judgement within 3 seconds of seeing someone...doesn't mean their judgement can't change, it just means that it's there. Welcome to the psychology of *kitten* my dear.
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have 10 at the moment: 2 in each ear lobe (4), 1 in each upper ear (2), my tongue (1), my nips (2), and my belly button (1). I plan to hopefully get 3 more (non ear), but I'm still figuring out the placement.

No gauges, and I doubt I'll gauge out any of my piercings.
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    I have
    3 pt spiral on left ear,
    3 other earrings on left ear,
    3 earrings on right ear
    I have a Micro dermal right by my right eye
    Nose ring
    and 2 micro dermals on my right collar bone

so for now 13 piercings Ill be getting more eventually
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    I currently only have the one set of 'normal' ear piercings and lip rings - snakebites.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I had:
    Snakebites
    A Monroe
    Angel Bites
    Cartilage Piercing on the ear
    Nose piercing
    Septum piercing
    And three rings on the cartilage of the ear.

I took out:
    Everything but the piercings on the ears and nose piercing.

I occasionally re-pierce my snakebites..
  • thoma74
    thoma74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Love them! I don't have any due to work mostly, but my boyfriend has a few in his ears stretched and his a 0g in the center of his tongue, a 14g on each side of that and a 12g on the tip. Plus his "mr. happy" has a prince albert and it's stretched too. :happy:
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Used to have my eyebrow, nose, and tongue pierced...but I have a "real" job now, so that doesn't fly. They let me keep 10 gauge plugs in my ears. It's not much, but I'm thankful for that, at least.

my workplace is the same way. i actually had to meet with HR twice and the board of directors to keep my one 'out of the ordinary ' piercing. i have regular earrings in my lobes - double pierced but i have a 10g diamond studded plug in a right ear cartilage piercing. even the jewelry had to be specially approved for me to even keep it.
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    I think certain people can pierce certain things and get away with it... I work around all kinds of judgemental people that I have to keep happy, so none for me! Used to have my ears and cartilage pierced, all came out.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Eyebrow and one ear.
    Not quite the fashion these days, but when I wanted these things I was in the army so had to wait.
    Now well, reinvented myself, lol
  • BCKS
    BCKS Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but seeing people with those really big gauges in their ears makes me queasy. :sick: :noway: :sick:
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    1/2 inch gauges, lip ring. had snake bites at one point. :)
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Normal piercing in one ear
    6mm gauge in the other

Used to have an eyebrow bar and a scaffold

Wanted a labret piercing for ages but when it came to it I chickened out and got the scaffold done.

Wouldn't mind getting eyebrow re-done at some point but can't at the moment because of my job :(
  • mamadragon
    mamadragon Posts: 110
    Options
    just had an industrial cartilage done last friday, now it's infected..... did it as a mother/daughter for my daughter's birthday. Her's is fine and healing nicely and mines all red and swollen. :sad: no dr office open right now (today's the 4th july) so I'll have to wait till tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment. LOL other than that, I have a belly button done, my left ear has 4 "regular" piercings and my right a normal ear piercing plus the new inudstrial one done
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am contemplating a hood peircing....

I have little 16's in my lobes, I got my conch done a while back, had my tounge and eyebrow but took them out...
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Lobes, helix, belly-button :)

Wanting to get another one for my birthday (hopefully I'll be at goal by then!)
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    To those who don't like them, what do you think about gauges that look like the blue earrings in my profile photo? Would you even know what they are?

Nope. I won't notice a thing until your lobes are flopping around. :)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Had: x4 ear piercing, tongue, navel, and nose.
    Only got the 2 normal ear piercings left!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I have my tongue pierced, an industrial and tragus piercing and my ears are 7/16''. When I was younger I had pretty much everything on my body pierced at one point. I don't think today I could sit through a piercing. The thought of it now kind of freaks me out.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I agree with a couple other people in the thread- it IRKS me when people call STRETCHED piercings gauges. A gauge is a measure of size. I'm of half a mind that if you don't know what something is called, you haven't done your research and you should NOT get that modification.

Secondly- I have my left lobe stretched to about 8mm, which is around 0g. I have a wooden spiral through it, with a dragon/bear head made of bone on the end. I love it. My other ear has just two normal holes, but it used to have a tragus and a helix piercing. I'm intending to get a few more holes in there, but I'm keeping my left ear stretched only. I also don't intend to go any bigger.

I also have my nose and right eyebrow pierced. Kind of starting to feel in two minds about the eyebrow bar, I got it when I was fifteen, and I suspect it's slowly migrating anyway. I want some sort of lip piercing, maybe a septum, and I keep debating nipple bars!