What to put in my coffee.....

Options

Replies

• jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with this. I tried giving up coffee altogether and after 5 days i was still sick from it. I dislike splenda (some controversy about the alcohol and production process) and truvia and stevia all leave a bad taste in my mouth. I still wish I could find a new substitute, but I love sugar in my coffee. I limit it now to 2 (giant) cups a day and do not drink it during the middle of the day anymore. I still consume about 80 calories a cup between sugar and creamer but I account for it and accept it. You are not alone in this dilemma.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    Truvia is a great product. I have also found with stevia different brands taste different. If you can find one that you like stevia really is the way to go because it is made from a leaf instead of from something artificial. it will burn cleaner in your body which you need if you are still drinking coffee. if you are using plant milk in your coffee you could get the chocolate or the vanilla which will add a few extra calories but may be worth it if you can't find an alternate to table sugar
  • GangstaMa
    Options
    I add a little splash of skim milk :drinker:
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I used to take my coffee with at least two creams and two sugars. About a year ago I started to slowly reduce the sugar in my coffee until it was gone. I also slowly changed the cream to milk.

Now I love coffee with just milk. A treat for me is a bit of sugar and cream.
  • Dawn50y
    Dawn50y Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try Truvia- it's a Stevia blend. I also don't like Stevia straight up, but I've found Truvia to be good. I like the taste of splenda, but it triggers my IBS.
  • sazzet
    sazzet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am going totally natural and nothing processed. I drink 3 cups of coffee a day with skimmed milk and a tsp of honey in each. Honey is healthy. I have not had white sugar, white flour, and white rice for 35 days. It's working for me.
  • treasurebox1
    treasurebox1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I drink herbal Teeccino coffee, (mocha) and I ALWAYS use Stevia as a sweetener for whatever I need sugar for. I use the liquid w/ dropper. Teeccino is excelent for iced coffee drink, too! I use Rheddi Whip on top (only 3 cal's.) and it gets me through the afternoon, it is soooo good!
  • elizasgoals
    elizasgoals Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    milk it add a few cals but they are good ones.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find a good zero-calorie sweetener to use in my coffee instead of sugar. I tried to just cut out the coffee completely, but that's just not happening. So I tried stevia extract and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth and a filmy feeling. Anyone have any good suggestions to sweeten up my coffee without adding calories??

whiskey, it adds calories but after about 10 minutes who cares!!!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Xylitol is the only low calorie sweetner thats natural and doesn't have a chemical aftertaste.
    I use xylitol in anything I would have used sugar in before, except if it needs yeast since xylitol kills it. And I rarely ever bake.

I can afford the 10 calories for a teaspoon in my coffee.

If you can't, black is the only way to go.
  • gluvdjs4e
    gluvdjs4e Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I add peppermint essential oil... ahhhh. :flowerforyou:

I really don't think you are supposed to ingest essential oils. They are more for topical and aroma. You should check into that, they can be toxic.
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've been using Truvia lately but I really don't like it. All that Stevia stuff seems to leave an aftertaste.
    I truly love Splenda in coffee. It's one of the few artificial things I allow myself, and there's no aftertaste whatsoever. I even prefer it to real sugar, as far as coffee in concerned.
    Also, agave syrup is great, but it does add calories. I used to add 1/4 a teaspoon and a tiiiny bit of splenda to cut down on calories and to cut down on unnatural things. A packet of splenda would last for days when I did that. But these days, that's just too annoying.
  • mcandyr
    Options
    I used to use cream...yummy...but I ran out and had to drink it black for a few days, I got used to it fast and haven't put anything in my coffee for about 3 years now. 0 calories.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Stevia drops...they come in all kinds of flavors from original, mocha, hazelnut etc!! plus the drops dont have the aftertaste that products like Truvia have.
    I love it because it is a plant derivative and does not have the cancerous rep. :noway:
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I use Truvia and skim milk. Not much though.
  • Jewels_Ka
    Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    drink it with no sugar , it may take a few days but you will get use to the taste

This is what I did. It really only takes a few days to get use to it. I do put almond milk in mine still.

I do the same thing! Almond Breeze from Blue diamond is great!!!
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    How much sugar do you usually add? If only a spoonful you might invest in the flavored coffee mate cups. they add flavor and sweetness. One will do the trick, or Equal. My friend swears by it. She says it does not taste artificial. I have also heard there is a new sweetener made from sugar, but no calories??? It looks like sugar on the commercials, but sorry I don't remember the name of it. Any way... I only put creamer in my coffee... I'm sweet enough! LOL I don't even include it in my chart. I drink one to 3 cups a day and I have lost 23 pounds so far. I eat normal foods, but have been a stickler in writing down EVERYTHING I eat. It's helping me be more concious about how much I eat. I watch what my caloric intake is supposed to be and post in the afternoon to see how much or what I can have for supper and snacks, then I post again while I watch the news. LOL That way it reminds me! But, whatever your goal and your method just be comfortable and try to keep it to something that you can LIVE with the rest of your life. Changing things dramatically to lose weight may make for a quick success, but once you've attained your goal and you go back to what and/or how you eat you will again LOOK the same way you did before. So try to keep a food plan revolving around things YOU like. I hope you win!
    Donna

Great post! And I agree 100% about including foods you enjoy in your diet. I love food and if I had to cut out everything unhealthy and only eat what is "good for you", I'd be miserable!! I'm just learning limit how often I eat those things and moderate the amount! :)
  • coe28
    Options
    Maybe your calories are set too low if you have to worry about 50 calories worth of nonfat milk and a little sugar.

MFP set me at 1200 calories a day and those add up quick. Especially on days that I can't get a workout in to offset it.
  • coe28
    Options
    whiskey, it adds calories but after about 10 minutes who cares!!!

I'm guessing my boss would care! LOL :drinker:
  • coe28
    Options
    Thank you all!! So many good ideas to try :)