Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - March Challenge!! Take 2!

Options

Replies

• allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Abby- just wanted to respond to the running questions, though the other ladies did a great job with their responses.
    i took a couple rest days before the race, though one more than i wanted due to my wack-a-doo schedule. i agree with keeping everything the same. Run with clothes/belt/ things that you know you're comfortable in. Also a common piece of advice is to not eat anything new the night before as it may give you issues come race time. The night before my last half I was out with my friend and ended up having an appetizer of basically all fried deliciousness. I took a couple pepto in the AM just to be safe and was totally fine.
    You'll be fine in the rain! I've ended up getting caught in some light rain/snow a couple times and really for the most part didn't notice. Your head will be elsewhere. Oh and I usually keep the music going the whole time. I also have my runkeeper going so I get the time update without having to look at my watch.

Best of luck!! I'm sure you'll be great, and remember to relax and enjoy yourself!!
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I have family visiting from Denver (Mom and Brothers) until Monday so I will be missing from here quite a bit but hope you ladies have an awesome weekend!! Be back on full swing Monday!! :bigsmile: Cynthia!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Mar 24th and we're only on page 4 ! :laugh: Can you believe it? I used to remember months when we would be pushing into a second thread because we were over 500 posts... By the 3rd week of the month! :blushing:

I guess things have really cooled off on the thread. Happy to see some of us are still kickin' it on here when we can though. I'd hate to see this group totally fall apart. NEWBS! You better start posting! We're counting on you! :tongue:

Cynth - Happy family visit! I hope you have a fabulous time with your family - cherish it and give us an update once you have some spare time :bigsmile: How did your run on Friday go? I hope you're feeling better about the major race FOUL last weekend. That race director needs a big finger wagging! haha

Allie - Great advice :) Definitely nothing new the day before or the morning of. Same clothes, food, drink, sleep schedule etc.

The only addition I can make to racing in general, is that the night before the night before your race (eg. Fri night for a Sun race) is the most important night's sleep you'll get so DON'T sink yourself with a late night on Friday! I've run some of my best races on very little sleep the night before - the nerves will inevitably keep you from getting your best night's sleep. So make sure you rest up the night BEFORE the night before. Don't get up any earlier than you need to, sleep in your own bed with your own routine, and get to bed early! You'll need the rest! :bigsmile:

I got mine last night. Unfortunately, I woke up at 6:30am tossing and turning and couldn't get back to sleep... I'm feeling a bit rough around the edges right now. Hoping to rest up today and just have a very easy day. A short few miles at an easy pace and then just taking it slow and getting lots of "me" time. I had a very hectic work-week and need some down time. Should be all rested up for the race tomorrow!

If anyone is interested in seeing my race progress tomorrow, you are able to track me live at the following website: www.sportstats.ca ** I totally don't expect anyone to track me, but just sayin' :blushing: My bib # is 2031.

OH! And I met another fabulous MFPal last night for dinner. Three of us (myself, my Pal Jen whom I met a few weeks ago, and Tim) met for the Expo, packet pick-up, and a delicious Thai dinner. It was a great time. Hoping to get some group pics tomorrow at the race to share. Love my Pals and meeting them in person has been such a fabulous experience. Yet to be disappointed with the awesomeness that I've met on this site!

OK I am going to get going. Have a great weekend ladies - I'll be back on Sunday with a race re-cap when I have some time! :heart:
  • 140Aimee
    140Aimee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Im 20 in 6 days, could i join for april? :)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Of course! You can join now :bigsmile: We'll post a new thread for April but feel free to jump in! What are your goals?
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice...I really appreciate all of your input!!

Allie - I also had a few extra days off due to my crazy schedule. I agree with keeping the things I normally run with the same. The music I do with and without when I run so I wasnt sure about that...still havent decided!!

Cynthia - Hope you have a great time with the family!!! Update us whenever you can!

Meag - Good Luck tomorrow!!!! I love the sleep advice...I am a horrible sleeper but I made sure to get a good nights sleep last night (friday). Although I still didnt fall alseep really early, I let myself sleep in until I woke up own my own without an alarm. It ended up being just before 10am when I woke up...so I got a little over 8 hours in total, a win for me!!

AFM - well the big race day is tomorrw and I am nervous and excited. They are still calling for rain though. I got a good nights sleep last night and am taking it easy today. I rested thursday and friday, mostly due to my schedule, and I am going to do an easy 2 miles today to losen upbefore tomorrow. I went and picked up my race swag bag today and get my bib, very exciting.....I am posting a pick below! They actually gave us very nice wicking t-shirts!! Anyway, going take my little run now and then take it easy for the rest of the day!! I will let you know how things go tomorrow!!

DSCF2520-1.jpg
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    for those of you racing tomorrow (Abby and Meag..anyone else?) goodluck!!!!

I would definitely track you if I weren't out for my long run in the morning (rest week so just 12 miles- haha just a few short weeks ago that seemed so far! ). but I will check-in when I get home!! you girls will rock it!!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    :devil: CAUTION :devil: CAUTION :devil: EXTREME SLACKER ALERT!!!

Well kinda!! I tried something new to attempt to bump by metabolism up a little but it only came back to bite me in the *kitten* but that's what I get for "cheating" right?? I had bought those Slimquick pills a year or so back. I had taken them for a little bit and then stopped but for some reason kept the bottle in my medicine cabinet. Well during my recent move, I found them again. Unsure of why I stopped taking them in the first place, I checked the expiration date, saw they were still good, and decided to take them again. BAD IDEA!!! I had zero energy at the end of the day to even think about exercising. I wasn't even making my daugher's lunch for school (I felt like a horrible mom)! And my food choices were beyond horrible. I could never get full. I now know why I stopped taking them in the first place and they quickly found themselves in the trash. So I'm back to do things the right way. My energy has gone way up. I came home last night and made homemade chicken nuggets for dinner and just took a batch of apple chips out of the oven. Tonight's dinner will be chicken enchilada casserole and tomorrow is chili since we are expecting rain. I have never cooked like this before but I think that bout of laziness made me learn a lot so in a sense, I am kinda happy it happened. Live and learn, right??

Abby and Meag - have a great time at your race tomorrow!!

Meghan and Meag - when are you lovelies headed out my way? Just want to make sure that I don't have anything planned for the time that you will be here.

Here's to a new day and a new start!! :drinker:
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Guam - Live and learn! There's no easy way about this thing - Just good choices, hard work, sweat and dedication, my dear. You know how to do it. And I am sure you'll be much happier with your energy back, lots of good healthy food in your tummy, and back on track :wink: My ticket to San Diego is booked for Apr 13th, arriving at 11am and we'll be leaving Monday the 16th around 10:30pm (redeye!) Tyler will be traveling with me but we plan to have some parts of the trip where we do our own thing, so depending on where you are and your schedule, I am sure we could find time to hook up for a coffee date or anything else you can suggest! :bigsmile: I'd love it!

Abby - GOOD LUCK! And thanks for the great idea - I got a SWANK tech shirt for my race and I adore it, so I'll be taking a picture of my bib and shirt in the morning, as well. Will post befores and afters - you know, all drenched in sweat :wink:

El - Thanks my dear! Enjoy your "short" long run tomorrow! Since when is 12 miles a cut-back :noway: Crazy Runners! hahaha I love it!

Have a great night everyone. Much love! :heart:
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello all! It seems I misspoke when typing my goals. When I said no cheat days I did not mean no indulging at all! I meant no cheating on my logging. Sometimes, after i log for the day, I'll eat one or two more things, and not log it because I know I am over my goal and I don't want to see it. I know a cheat day every once in a while is okay. I even build them into my weekly menus when I know I am going out. My mistake!

Guam: I have been there! about a year ago I ended up with some "metabolism increasing pill" I don't even recall what it was. I took it for about 4 days and turned into a monster! I was so cranky all the time and so lazy too. I felt miserable 24/7 so I threw them right in the dumpster. You just have to learn from stuff like this. You'll get back on track I'm sure.

El: 12 mile short run. Wow. I wish I could run 3 miles! I keep trying to start running. I love it once I get into a rhythm, but I have mild asthma, so I can't run in the winter well. Do you have any advice for a beginner? How did you get started? And how did you get to the point of running 12 miles and calling it short?

Abby and Meag: Good luck tomorrow. I can't wait to be to the point where I can run in races!

AFM: I've been having a hard time getting motivated to exercise. With all the school work and trying to apply for jobs is taking up so much of my time and energy. I need to get my act together and get organized. Once I can get organized, hopefully I will find time to start running, especially with my clinicals coming to an end. I have been doing okay eating though. I have been making nice healthy soups loaded with tasty veggies. I did forget to pack dinner Wed night and ended up with really low blood sugar, and even after I grabbed a sandwich from subway I still felt awful. It got to the point where I got paranoid about walking home. As soon as I ate I did feel better. Normally I am good about packing food and snacks when I am working late. I guess I have to be more careful about that in the future.

Have a good rest of the weekend ladies!
  • 140Aimee
    140Aimee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Of course! You can join now :bigsmile: We'll post a new thread for April but feel free to jump in! What are your goals?

Thank you. :) My goals for april would be to lose 7lbs and to start taking up exercise.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Welcome Aimee! I'll add you to the list tonight when I have some time to catch up...

I'll also be posting a race re-cap, but I've got to get to work :grumble: Hope all you beautiful ladies had a great weekend! We've got 5 days left this month so put your heads down and power through, make 'em count! And the weekend's over so get your butt's back here and post some awesome updates, puhlease :bigsmile: This thread is majorly dragging! haha

Will catch up with you all later tonight.

Have a FABULOUS Monday! :heart:
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Eleanor - Thanks for the good luck wishes and for the friend add....I didnt even realize we werent friends!!! I can't wait until the day that I can say a 12-miler is a shorter run!! Hope you enjoyed it!!

Bethany - I tried some type of pills once before (a long time ago) and they made me feel crappy too!! At least you remembered it right away. Its nice that you have been cooking so much!! Always fun and healthier that way!!

Meag - I saw that you had a great race!! Make sure you post all the details soon!!!

Abellone - Thanks for the good luck wishes!! Sounds like you're on the right track!! You have to let yourself indulge every now and then or you will never stick to a diet! And its hard to stay motivated and find time while in school and busy. Just do the best you can when you can!! Making homemade soups is my favorite!! I always like to make big batches so I can eat healthier during a busy week!!

AFM - I'm gonna give you all the play by play for my race and some pics below!! So, it was rainy when the race started and was around 40 degrees out....I was freezing and dreading it!! It kinda screwed up my plan of what I was going to wear. I wore my dry-fit capris like I always do to run and planned on a wicking tank....but since it was sooo cold at the start I ended up throwing on a thin long-sleeved wicking top over it. The first 5-6 miles was awesome, very flat and fast moving. I felt great running and stayed at about a 9:15min/mile avg for the first 6. Around mile 7 started the very long and slow uphill climb. It wasn't steep at all, just a slight uphill but it lasted for 2 miles!! The whole race had 1800ft elevation gain!! A lot for me. It was cute though, people had posted signs the whole way up the hill with things like "does this hill make my *kitten* look fat" and "Blister, pop, repeat" and the best one "bet your nipples are begging for bandaids right now" The signs kept me laughing and going the whole way up. I finally got too hot a little past mile 8 and had to walk for a minute or 2 to take off the long-sleeved shirt and re-pin my bib to my tank. Guess I should have just stuck with the tank!! Definately slowed me down. But I am happy to say that it was the only time I walked during the whole thing... and I always walk during long runs!! I started to feel the pain around mile 10, but luckily we hit a mile-long very slight downhill, not much but just enough to allow my legs to recover from all of the uphill. After that I kept telling myself that the end was in sight and pushed through any of the pain. The last 1/4 mile was a very steep uphill (who does that??) but being able to see the finish line got me to continue the struggle up to the top!! I was soo happy with my time and overall pace. My family and BF were there waiting at the finish cheering me on. Of course, I had told them to look for me around the 2:30 time so they almost missed me when I came in early!! My chip time was 2:10:18 I am insanely happy with that!!! Overall, I had an amazing time and feel so accomplished!! Last year I never would have even imagined myself being able to complete 13.1miles!!

DSCF2530-1.jpg
    Thats me in the white tank crossing the finish line...or at least the back side of me!!

DSCF2524.jpg
    And of course, the sweaty, ugly picture after the race!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Updating the goals list for the last few days of the month....

-CindyM29 -log in everyday, run at least 2 miles a day, lose 8 lbs this month, drink at least 8 cups of water a day, be able to do at least one pull up.
    -Eleanoreb (Eleanore or El for short)- find time for cross training (yoga, spinning, athletic conditioning, swimming..) eat healthy ( use up calories with healthy and nutritious foods rather then cookies etc)
    -Kendib - Get my MOTIVATION back! Get ready to rock the 5k race in the beginning of April.
    -lalonmeg000 (meghan) tell my job I quit! (scary but exciting). Start insanity back, keep up with the water intake, start using my planner again. Buy new clothes for Cali because I deserve it and I will have lost ssooo much weight ;)
    -Twisted88 - Bring dinners on school nights, limit my eating out to a maximum of 10 times total, workout at least 6 days a week, and lose 2 inches off hips and waist
    -Ratchettconde - Complete the 30 Day Shred, lose 15 lbs and at least 10 inches, drink more water, motivate my friends to stay on track, and I want to find 10 new friends on MFP to motivate and get support from. Oh, and I need to weigh less than my mother ( shes lost 150 lbs..... 370-220ish) Love you Mom lol
    -shattoy (Stephanie) - Go to spin class at least once a week and workout one additional day at the gym (weights, etc.), drink more water (at least 4 servings) and loose 1-2lbs. I also want to log more (at least 5 days/week) on MFP as I have been infrequent as of late!
    -mebohan--Master Push-ups and be able to do at least one pull-up/chin-up. Train for half marathon in April by at least running 2 times a week. Workout 5 days a week minimum. drastically decrease carb intake. lose more than 4 lbs!
    -rintin88 (Erin)- Workout at least 4x a week, up my water intake, no fast food, walk at least 5,000 steps a day, and lose 6lbs by the end of the month
    -SweetMelissa222 - Start running again, hit a total loss of 35lbs. (7 more lbs to go)
    -JessYas- finish the LA marathon in under 5 hours (hopefully close to 4:30!), continue weight workouts 2x/week, graduate from "girl" push-ups to "real" push-ups! happy
    -VLaaber (Vicci)- Lose at least 5 pounds within the month, start learning to really how to run, go to bikram yoga at least once a week, go to the gym at least 4 times and day and work on my upper body strength.
    -Award30 - Pass my oral qualifying exam for grad school, still lose 2 lbs this month while studying for said exam, complete my first half marathon in less than 2:20
    -Meagalayne- Run and finish the ATB 30K race and ENJOY the victory; no weigh-ins until Mar 30th (when I will update my weight and all measurements and set goals for Spring/Summer weight training); finish my novel and start a new one; plan another trip in April and register for at least 2 races this spring
    -GuamGrly (Bethany) - get into the 130s’s (5 pound loss), continue 5K training, try one new recipe per week, continue to up water consumption, and read one book
    -Allie7383- PR in the NYC Half (3/18), keep logging, get to 145 or below, start and complete Ripped in 30.
    -Abby459 --- My main goal this month is to keep training and then complete my first 1/2 marathon on 3/25!!! Secretly I have a goal of 2:30 but at long as I finish I will be happy!! My only other goals this month are to keep up water and fruit/veggie intakes.
    GreenHumanClay (Cynthia) Continue my training plan for my first 1/2 March 17th, weight train 3xs, sleep more, gave up weighing myself for Lent (not religious purposes), so no weighing-in, eat out < 3 times per week (actual challenge for a project) focus on school, and really appreciate life!
    -apple2107 - Lose 5 lbs from now til end of the month. Stick to Jillian M's 6 weeks 6 packs at least 5 times per week (the other two with different activities), drink at least 8 cups of water everyday and start tracking AGAIN.
    tiffintn- log all calories (no cheating). work out at least 4x a day (not cardio bunny style.. real lifting)...lose 29 more lbs then reasses body comp...most of all GAIN SELF CONFIDENCE>>>BE HAPPY WITH MYSELF!!!
    abellone7289- track EVERY day. No cheat days. Run 3 times a week. lose 4 pounds by my birthday (April 9)
    140Aimee- lose 7lbs and to start taking up exercise

OK! So how are you all doing?? :huh: Truthfully, I couldn't even remember my Mar goals! :blushing: haha ! I guess I'm just taking it day by day and trying to do my best. The good news is that it looks like I will have met them all! I guess that just means I need to set tougher goals come April :wink: And April is nearly here! Eep! Where has the time gone??

RACE UPDATE!

Welp - I ran 30-freaking-kilometers on Sunday! It was my longest run EVER and it actually logged as 18.92 miles. I was extremely lucky with this race and got to share my experience with two of my best MFPals - two incredibly beautiful, sweet, supportive and wickedly motivating friends and they made my race a million times more meaningful than it would have been had I raced on my own. It was a VERY tough race. The first 10K were flat and fast and I made up some time knowing the last half would just about kill me. The last 4kms, I was running on pure adrenaline. I have never wanted to *just stop* that much in my life. But I knew I couldn't. I had to keep going. I finished 30K with a Chip Time of 2:59:41.3 -- Under 3 hours, just barely, which was a HUGE accomplishment for me. That's an average pace of 9:38 and a major WIN for me. I would never have hoped to finish in that time last year. It really shows me how far I've come... Major progress in my running this past 6 months. I am very proud of myself. It didn't feel *great* -- But I did damn well, and I pushed myself, even when it felt like it might kill me. I proved that I can really push my boundaries and prevail. Now THAT feels good :happy:

It was a very emotional day - A friend struggled with injury and ultimately couldn't finish the race, which gutted us all, but she was so strong and her decision to walk away from the race demonstrated true courage. It was so moving to see that kind of emotion, power and strength. I can only hope that I would have the same courage if ever faced with that circumstance. She made us all proud and she was there cheering for us like a mad woman at the finish line - a testament to her character and serving only to re-enforce my love and appreciation for her (and for the community we have on here - the type of community I I have never experienced before).

It was an incredible day. The race was huge compared to anything I had run before... Nearly 11,000 racers total! Much much bigger than anything I've seen or experienced before. The crowds were huge and I was dodging people nearly the whole time. The whole experience was out of body. I cannot wait to race again with my Pals - Next MFPal race is already planned, too. April 29th Waterloo 1/2 Marathon. And here's hoping we all get to race our best :happy:

Here are a few pics from my day...
    IMAG0285.jpg
    IMG00061-20120325-1317.jpg
    IMG00062-20120325-1317.jpg

That's all I've got time for tonight, loves. Have a great Monday night and see you tomorrow! Sorry for all the selfish-ness! :blushing: Life's been a bit crazy hahaa... Did I mention I went to spin class tonight for an hour? :noway: I'm a MAD woman! :bigsmile:
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump - haven't been on mfp for a few months but would like to get in with the group in april.

i haven't been working out for the past few months but i worked out 6 days out of the past 8 days and have cut out chips/chocolate but i gained weight. i haven't had time to measure myself yet but i don't feel any skinnier (i know it's only been a week though). but it's not very encouraging!
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes...I haven't logged into MFP on the computer in a long time! Work got absolutely CRAZY and I ended up not even being in my office all of last week but working at a different department, helping them get things worked out. So I am going to try and catch up. Sorry if I miss anything.

Abby - Going to a nutritionist sounds like a good idea. Especially one that is a runner and knows what that is like. Congrats on your 1/2! Love the pics! I am still working towards my 5k and can see a 1/2 in my future at some point. The new running shoes have helped a lot and I feel much better after my runs.

Cynthia - I didn't grow up with humid weather so it still takes my by surprise sometimes. I love fitness classes and think they are a great way to change up the workout routines and keep things interesting. So sorry to hear about your run. I would be so frustrated and mad! Running cross country in high school I was always worried about getting lost cause the wind would knock down the markers and there were not always volunteers to correct your path. Glad that you are going back out to run and totally agree with the comment that now you get to have another first 1/2!

Allie - the NYC 1/2 sounds wonderful and will be on my list of things to complete in my lifetime!

El - Your running club sounds great. I am currently looking for a running buddy and I think I would love something like that.

Meg - I have read the Hunger Games and love love love the books. We went to the midnight showing and 15 of us dressed up! We thought there would be others that dressed up but we were the only ones. We have a Katniss, Prim, Effie and Cinna and the rest of us went as Capitol people and 4 of them dyed their skin with foundation and food coloring! We were the only ones that dressed up and the theater managers asked us to go visit the other theater showings to take pictures. We took a ton of pictures with people and it was nuts! Our Effie ended up on the news cause that character was the news anchor's favorite! Here is a picture of my outfit, mine is not as elaborate as some of the others cause I had to work later than expected that day but still had a great time.

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy270/skyjacker07/2012-03-22182758-1.jpg

abellone7289 - welcome! I'm pretty new as well and this is my second month with the challenges. I have asthma as well (only have 70% capacity of my lungs) and am running again. It takes me longer to get conditioned and have to be diligent about using my inhaler before my runs. I have had the mentality of not logging cause I'm over my cals anyway so what does it matter and have come to find out that it does matter. I will eat better the rest of the week if I mess up on a day.

Bethany - I love the live and learn mentality! I have had a couple of fresh starts during this journey and think it is part of learning about your body and what it can do.

meag - 30K!!!! Congrats on the race! I'm glad that you had some buddies to run with, I am sure that make it much more enjoyable. It is inspiring to see everyone's running successes and helps keep me motivated.

AFM - 9 days left to the 5k race! I ended up gaining 1.5 pounds last week but believe that is due to the high stress on the week. I tried to log everyday but barely got a lunch everyday and ate what was on hand. :frown: So this is a new week and ready to kick it up a notch to get ready for this race! I think the weight will come off pretty easily this week cause I am really watching what I eat.

I got my BodyMediaFit in the mail and absolutely love it! It stays are your arm and logs your sleep, steps, activity levels and calories burned. I am burning about 500 more than MFP was calculating so have upped my calories to compensate. I have been feeling hungrier than normal and this has helping my energy level a lot.

Kendi
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sorry that was a link, wanted a direct image, I'm still learning the upload ways, lol

2012-03-22182758-1.jpg
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Lovelies!! Although I almost put Monday cause I was completely out of commission yesterday with the stomach flu.

Meag – I think that is the one weekend that I have absolutely nothing planned. So let me know whether Saturday or Sunday work best for you and whether you want to do coffee or drinks at night and I will be sure to make it happen. And I totally don’t mind if Tyler tags along so that is totally up to you. And your race day sounds truly amazing!!! I am sooooo proud of you for pushing through it and seeing it til the end. Although there is really no doubt in my mind that you would do that each and every time. You are full of perseverance and endurance!! You are awesome girly!!!!

Abellone – I became a lazy bum that just wanted to eat. It was horrible!! Hopefully once you get organized, you will be able to schedule in your workouts and not let anything come in between you and your scheduled workouts. You can do it girly!!

Abby – great job on your run!!! You did amazing!!! Those signs would have kept me going too! I always thought that I needed music to keep me going but when I run on the treadmill at the gym, I do much better when watching tv.

Sounds like we had some great races!!!

AFM…I did great this weekend. Made dinner Friday night and Saturday night. I was going to make dinner on Sunday night but we had a minor crisis that morning which completely through my day off. And then Sunday night/Monday morning, I got another case of the stomach flu. Darn these kids and sharing. You can’t get them to share their toys but they are more than willing to share their germs. So it was probably a good thing that I didn’t end up making dinner Sunday cause I would have more leftovers than I know what to do with. So needless to say, I have yet to get back to my running schedule after attempting the get-slim-quick-but-crash-and-burn pills and then the stomach flu. I am still hoping to sign up for my race though and do my best. We shall see!!

We are on the downward slope Lovelies…lets make this week count!!!
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

Bethany Glad you're back on track I myself have been feeling a bit off, totally normal but finally back to the routine. Glad you're feeling better!! :flowerforyou: and great job cooking and eating healthy!!

Abby and Meag Congrats on your races you both did amazing and I love the pics and play by plays. :bigsmile: Meag you are a mad woman tearing it up with Mr. Carl, proves you wouldn't miss his class for nothing :wink:

Kendid your make up looks fun and it sounds like you had an awesome time!! That weight will melt off stress can definitely do that for you but it sounds like you're back on track! Is bodyfitmedia a type of heart rate monitor and you wear it to sleep?? sorry clueless

AFM I had family come to S.F. and stay for about 4 days. Did go on a tempo run and got some weights in (with the mom) :smile: , lots of dancing and a ton of walking I clocked in at least 7 miles in one day but I didn't bother to log since 1. my phone just stopped working ( 2 year contract was up) time for a new phone and 2. I didn't log my food. Had Bubba Gumps, clam chowder and a bunch of other salty delicious foods throughout the weekend. Hadn't seen my mom in about 6 years so it was great seeing her but bittersweet since I know it will be a while before I see her again, not your "typical relationship" but Im okay with that! I do hopefully plan to see her either in December or sometime next spring! It was great seeing my brothers and getting some great workout tips for learning how to do pull ups, need to improve upper body strength more although I can do about 20 push ups in one minute the "real" ones too lol... Went on a nice 8 mile trail run this morning and got some weights in not quite sure what the exercise for tomorrow is but beginning next week or the following week I plan to train for another half but in SF that will be a lot more inclined since The City is all uphill/downhill, plan to train on some trails by my house that I have never done cause they are pretty challenging. Next half is May 6th I believe so Im pumped for this one since my St Pattys one was a major fail... Other than that eventful weekend Im just trying to catch up with sleep, hw, proper food, exercise and catch up with you all! Until tomorrow have a great Hump Day!! :bigsmile: Cynthia!
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I am loving all of your pics!! I also love hearing about your races!!! So awesome, and motivating.

Cynthia- 6 years, wow that's a long time!! Glad you got to catch up and spend time with your family (while still remaining super active!! I am impressed). Did you end up running the half distance on your own, or gona wait for the next race? At least it's coming up soon!

Guam- Sounds like you are cooking up a storm!! That's awesome! What have you been making? Any recipes you could share? I'm always looking for more ideas..

Kendi- Love the makeup!!! I haven't seen hunger games yet but hopefully I will get a chance to soon!! How did the movie compare tot he books..I haven't read them either.. I am out of the loop/behind on times but I may try and read them before I see the movie.

Abellone- Totally udnerstand about eating healthy while in school. It's tough! Especially during exam, I used to think I deserved to eat anything I wanted to make up for the pain and suffering of studying until all hours, and i didn't want to waste a lot of time cooking and preparing meals. During my masters i had amazing roommates that would cook dinner and just leave a plate for me in the fridge so when i got home home i had a healthy meal for me. I'd try and do the same for them during their exams. It's also hard to fit in the gym etc.. I guess just do what you can and try and pak healthy snacks etc.

Abby- Congrats on your half!! That's an awesome time and a great accomplishment!!! Hill right at the end, who does that? haha least it's better then right at the start! You don't even look that dead in your photos!!

Meag- hugely envious of your under 3hour time!! It seems like you did all your 10ks in roughly the same time/pace. What did you eat along course? do you take a gel or? you definitely have come along way since last year, it's been awesome to see your progress!! And really nice about meeting your mfp pals :)

AFM- was supposed to have a 12 mile run sunday for 'rest week', and I showed up sunday morning expecting an easy run and our instructor/leader said it would be a good week to test out our race pace. We pushed the pace a bit on the run and then he made us really pick it up on the last km, to show that we could do it and that we should do that end of the race. The 12 miles did feel pretty short, which just goes to show how quickly your body adapts. It was encouraging to see that going a bit faster doesn't really make you that much more tired. i really find it's just about finding a rhythm.

I am training with the 4h15 marathon pace group..although for the actually marathon I'm hoping to do 4:30-4:45..or frankly just finish it.

Last night was 3.5 mile tempo run. I found it pretty tough. I'm at the point where I find short/fast runs a lot harder then long slow ones.. It was nice though because we got back to the store after ( we train out of Running Room) to this:

photo3.jpg

A lady in the group is moving back to Belgium so as a sort of goodbye party for her they surprised us all with waffles.

I really am loving my clinic, the instructor is amazing and so encouraging/inspiring/motivating. The people in the group are great too. We have an inspiration tree where we can put a photo of someone to inspire us. I posted a photo of my almost 90 year old amazing grandma and me.

photo2-1.jpg
    bottom right

photo-2.jpg
    closeup

Also last night one of my friends from the group brought in a huge map of the race course (he had sent it to a printer to get it blown up and printed) and had us all sign it. I signed my name right by a tough long incline//going over a bridge, just past the halfway mark. Hopefully I will remember this when I'm struggling through it..

photo4.jpg

They will then hang it up on the wall :) I loved this idea.

Tonight is hills- I know it's going to be brutal.. these hill runs are not getting any easier..but they are making other hills seem less bad in comparison. Guess that's something.