Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - March Challenge!! Take 2!

Options
12346»

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Wow - I have ZERO time to post and catch up, but your post was so inspiring tonight El :bigsmile: Just what I needed on a tough, emotional day. You are fabulous! And it really sounds like you have found an awesome running community. There is nothing that I love more than the community of runners - and I barely ever run with anyone else. But my experience with fellow runners in races, at running stores, and from MFP has been overwhelmingly positive. The community is so supportive and filled with truly beautiful people - yourself included - and it sounds like you have quite the niche there.

It makes me want to join a running clinic! Alas, I think I'm a bit too much of a lone wolf :blushing: I love running solo and making my schedule work for me. I run when I have time and can't imagine being tied to the weekend training runs. Just not happening right now, especially with work as it is.

I'm sorry I can't contribute more tonight. I have LOADS to say. But I'm exhausted, I slept in today, and I am hoping to get up early tomorrow to get in a tempo run before work. At lunch hour I'll be donating blood, so I must get my run in beforehand. Not too sure about tomorrow night but hopefully I'll have some time to catch up. I've been following you all and loving your updates.

And thank you all for your support and kind words about my race. I've been overwhelmed with feelings of pride, accomplishment and just so much love from my MFPals. And if I wasn't so damn busy I'd be relishing it a little more :laugh:

Cynthia - I am very happy to hear you had a positive visit with your family. It sounds like you really needed it :happy: We all have our own weird family relationships. We just do what works for us. I'm sorry that it was bittersweet but at least you have December to look forward to!

Bethany - Sorry to hear about the stomach flu but glad that you are over it now. Damn germy kids at school! *fist shake* Let's work something out for the weekend I'll be in San Diego. How much of a trip will it be for you to make? Let me know how far out you are, in which direction, and I'll talk to Tyler about it. I'd rather he didn't join us, so maybe we can set aside some time to do something fun without him which he's off doing Tyler stuff. Let me know. If it's a huge trek for you and I will only have 1-2 hours to give, then perhaps we can meet halfway or so? Let me know!

Kendib - Great pic! And glad you had SUCH a fun night! Sounds like a blast....

Wait - What's the Hunger Games? :blushing: Jeeeeez I'm so out of the loop!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day Lovelies!!

Cynthia – glad to hear that you still enjoyed the visit with your mom and brothers!! And it was great that you were even able to get some tips out of it. Any extra knowledge can be great!! I’m sure your half on May 6th will turn out amazing because you will be so determined to finish strong because (in your opinion) you feel that the last race didn’t do it for you. I still think you did a great job on the St. Patty’s day one but I understand where you are coming from.

Eleanore – I made chicken nuggets and chicken enchilada casserole. Chili was on tap for Sunday’s dinner but that just didn’t work out. I am not known to cook so this is all new to me. I love to bake!!! But love being able to provide my kids with a home-cooked meal so I am really trying to make more of an effort. And I love the idea of the inspiration tree!! I think I just might create one on my wall in my room at home. And thanks for sharing the picture of you and your grandma…she is too cute!! Makes me miss my grandma!!

Meag – thanks!! Just glad to be over the stomach flu and I’m seeing it as a fresh start!! And as far as San Diego, I will definitely come to you so don’t worry about how long it takes me to get there. Just let me know whether Saturday or Sunday works and what you would like to do and I will be there. I love doing touristy stuff so if you find something down there that you would really like to do then lets go for it. I’m not sure exactly where you are staying down there but there are a few big breweries in San Diego. Coronado Island is also really cute. I have never walked around there and am really not sure what there is to do there. But looks like we have some time to come up with something.

Kendi – great pic!! I think we were posting at the same time last night. I have yet to get into the Hunger Games but I imagine its only a matter of time before I pick up the book and become a part of the hype. I’m one of those nerds that likes to read the book before seeing the movie.

AFM…food wasn’t too bad today but my stomach is not completely back to normal. But I made my own oatmeal this morning and I was so very proud of myself. Not being able to eat at work has really turned this food thing into a chore. And I have decided to not run the 5K on April 22. Between visiting my mom, those dumb pills, and getting sick, I am just not prepared and don’t want to stress about it. And I really think that my heart is missing kickboxing. I think I need to start seeing (or feeling) some physical changes in the right direction before I pick up running again. So beginning next week, its back to Turbo Kick and I am soooooo looking forward to it. And since everyone else is posting pictures, I wanted to join along. Here is a picture of my kids and I from our very first Spring Training game…

032.jpg
  • sive1990
    sive1990 Posts: 38
    Options
    This looks like such an absolutely fantastic and MOTIVATING group! I would love to join this! You all look like such great girls, and I LOVE how everyone supports each other here! Amazing. Guess I better introduce myself a little hey..

I'm (almost!) 22 years old, and I live on a game farm out in the bush of Africa. I moved here about a year ago (it has always been my dream! Bush girl through and through :) ) when I met the man of my dreams! Within a week of meeting, he brought me here, and I kind of have never left haha!

I spent my first 8 years of life in South Africa, then moved to New Zealand until March 2011. Then moved back to South Africa, met Ken (the guy!) and here I am, as happy as I can be :). I am studying a degree through correspondence, am part of a team organizing a massive concert against rhino poaching (we had a rhino poached from us last year!!) and spend my free time exploring the farm with my boy, or with the animals. We have the Big 5 here (Elephant, rhino, leopard, buffalo, lion) and all the other animals from the lion king. So a busy girl but always time to fitness and friends!

I am currently 57-58kg and my goal weight is 55-56. So I am almost there! Yippee. I am 5'5.
    I want to focus on toning up, any added weight loss would be a benefit.

There are no gyms around, and I can't go for runs around the farm because it may attract predators and that is NOT a good idea haha! So I do most of my workouts at home :). I love keeping fit & maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and I am SUPER excited to meet you all & hear your life stories :)

xxx Jacqui
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Selfish post tonight.

I have been so stressed out lately and I do not feel like myself one bit. I am grumpy and bitter and I have cried 3 out of 4 days this week. It's not about my food or exercise (although I wish I had time to run more...it usually helps with my stress). I have no idea where I am going with my life.

I know, I know I'm 23, I have time to figure it out. But the reality is I graduate in 52 days. I don't even know what state I am going to be living in 52 days from now. If I don't get a job, I move back home, which I don't want to. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my family, but I have no friends there anymore and I get so bored and then eat everything in the house. If I do manage by some luck to get a job here, I don't have a place to live and no roommate. =( All everyone keeps telling me is "You are going to be a nurse, there are so many jobs for nurses." But no one wants a new grad. Not around here (or at home) anyway. They all want experience. One place has 12 spots for more than 350-500 applicants. Sure I applied anyway, but it's just stressing me out even more.

Because of all this I am considering joining the Navy. I grew up in a military household so it's kinda in my blood and I have been thinking about it for over a year now, on and off. I just don't want to leave my friends and boyfriend here. S I looked into the reserves so I could stick around and still be in the Navy. and even THEY want experience. So it's active duty or bust on that front. My boyfriend isn't crazy about it, but I know he would support me if I chose to do it. if we could just find time talk about it. I tried to talk about it to him last night and he said he would rather wait to talk, even though I got upset about it and needed to talk it out. I just need to talk to someone about it and he is my biggest support and my best friend. I know he's scared but I need to figure out my life and I don't know who to talk to. So I guess this is me turning to you guys. I don't really need advice. I just want and ear and maybe a shoulder to cry on. These are huge life changing times and I just don't know what to d about them. =(

Thanks for listening. I will try to catch up with everyone else Monday after I take my exam
    -Manda
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bethany - I hate the stomach bug. I am out of commission for days when I get it. I'm glad your feeling better. I always read the book before the movie and often read it again after the movie. This was my first midnight premier and was fun! I was glad I read the book before the movie though. You have a super cute family and it looks like y'all were having fun. As for the kickboxing. I think you should do what is best for you. Running isn't for everyone and if kickboxing works for you, you should do that. I think you should do workouts that you love to do, otherwise the motivation will lack. I'm glad you are following what you like.

Cynthia - The BodyMediaFit is an armband that tracks your movement. It measures calories burned, steps, moderate and vigorous activity and sleep. There is an app on your phone that can track it as well. I did lots of research before buying it cause I didn't want to waste my money and absolutely love it. The website for it is: www.bodymedia.com. I was afraid that I would notice it when I slept but I don't notice it at all during the day. I'm glad you got to see your family and had a good time with them.

El - the movie was way different than the book, but that is to be expected. I like it but had to not think of it in terms of the book. Your marathon pace is incredible! I am going to try to run a marathon next year and am hoping to run it in under 6 hours. I'm still at a 5k right now but am excited to increase my mileage. Like your pictures, it's good to see a glimpse of everyone's life.

meag - I'm sorry your life is so busy. The Hunger Games is the first book of a trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I am usually behind on the book trends but caught this one right before it took off and love it. I am a big reader though and can get through a book in a couple of days.

Jacqui - first off welcome! I joined this group a couple of months ago and love getting to know everyone. Your life sounds so unique. I couldn't imagine. I grew up in the country but that is definitely not the same thing. I look forward to hearing more.

Manda - I am so sorry for what you are going through right now. It is not fun! I worked full time the last 2 years of college and finished in 4 years and never wish to repeat those years. Good luck on your exam. Let us know how if goes.

AFM - I have had a awesome week! It has flown by but feel like I have made some big achievements!
    #1 - have figured out some of my calorie issues. I have been been consistently been burning 3,000-3,300+ calories a day at a desk job! More like 3,000 on rest day and higher on workout days*. So eating 1,950 calories still gives me a deficit but I am fueling my body the way it should be!
    #2 - I lost weight! My weight has barely been coming off and I was starting to get discouraged. I weighed today just to see and am down over a pound. I am not officially logging it till my Monday weigh in but know I am on the right track. It seems the higher calories are working!
    #3 - and MOST exciting! I had my best 5k time today! I also almost double my actual running time. I ran a 5k in 42 minutes and ran 30 minutes of that! This is the best I have done.

Kendi
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Hey ladies quick little post from me....

Kendib - awesome work on figuring out your calorie burn, TDEE, and what your body needs in terms of fuel to lose! I'm a BIG promoter of the "eat more to lose more" philosophy. I know some people stick to 1200 cals a day, but that's just not what I've found to work when one wants to lose weight, keep it off, and work on body composition and building strength. It also just sounds miserable. I know it's possible to eat that little but I'd be so hungry and drained all the time... And sad that I couldn't eat more delicious food! 1950 calories/day sounds like a really wonderful place to start. I eat between 1800 and 2200 cals a day on maintenance and it keeps me around 123-125lbs. Simply can't imagine going back to 1200cals/day... I'd be the biggest grouch EVER! Congrats on your 5K PR as well - Nice achievements this month!

Jacqui - Welcome! Sounds like you will have some great perspective and very interesting stories to share with us. I hope you stick around and join us in April for our challenge, as well.

Manda- Giiiirl sounds like you needed a vent! I am glad you felt like you could share it with us :happy: We're always here to lend an ear and support when times get tough. I know nothing about the Navy or American military in general, so it's hard to speak to your situation. Would you be joining the Navy as a medic/nurse in active duty? I know it can be hard to leave family and friends - I have done it a few times and it has been lonely, but you always get to choose if you're going to make the best of a situation. Looking at it as an opportunity for personal growth, independence, and discovering who you are on your own, could be the other side of the coin. Especially if you've been sharing in everything in life with your boyfriend and friends for a while. Heading out on your own could be an enlightening, empowering and positive experience, as well. Whatever you decide, I am sure you'll think long and hard about it. You just have to be committed to making the best of whatever you can't control. Nothing is going to be perfect - just gotta roll with the punches and have no regrets! :wink:

Beth - Sounds great ! I know NOTHING about the area and have no idea what we could do... Sunday would probably work better for us, and I will probably only have 2 hours or so of free time without feeling guilty about leaving Tyler to his own devices on our trip (we'll only be there for a few short days), but I am up for whatever. I'm not terribly keen on touristy stuff but if there's something really neat or fantastic to see, I am definitely open to ideas. What is Coronado Island, exactly? If the weather's nice I am totally up for something outdoors, as well. Just let me know what you think would be best. You're the local! :tongue:

Update from me in the 2 mins I have left - Weighed in today for the first time since Feb 3rd and I am exactly the same weight. 123.5lbs. Pretty anti-climatic. I took all my measurements again and am going to try and focus on gaining some muscle in my upper body and toning my mid-section.

I did a killer tempo run yesterday morning before work and my legs are reeling today. Still debating if I want to hot yoga tonight, but I've actually got a friend date with my spinning buddy this evening at some point so I may have to skip it. Still working out the details. My body may be in need of a longer rest, anyway. We'll see!

I've got lots of other personal life updates but that will have to wait... Gotta log my food quickly and get to work. Much love ladies! XO :heart:
    Meag
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Holy smokes - ONE DAY LEFT IN MARCH LADIES!!! :noway:

Where did the month go!

Tomorrow's our last kick at it so make it count!

QOTD - How are you going to Kick some *kitten* tomorrow to ring this month in with a bang?

My answer - I'm hitting the gym early to knock out at least a mile on the TM and hit my 100 miles for the month of March, then I'm going to get in some spinning I hope. Major errands to do tomorrow and then dinner and something fun at night with Tyler, I think. I'm not really too excited about the date-night right now, as things are very dicey between us, but I'll try to make it great.

Kick it tomorrow my dears! :drinker: I'll be posting our new challenge tomorrow night when I have a chance (before or after date night...)
    Ciao :heart:
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Selfish post!!

Didn't run that "half" last week but did get a good tempo run outdoors in the rain and all. I have my "2nd" half on May 6th but Im sure I will run that distance way before then!

QOTD! I plan to do some circuit training and do some stairs! Today was the first time running Quicksilver trails which is basically inclined to super inclined trails but only did the "easier" ones and actually had to walk several times, didn't realize how fast my HR rose up! As far as tomorrow it's the BF's Dirty 30 so we will be celebrating with Mexican food our have restaurant him and his whole family yippee NOT! lol its ok its just one day! I bought him a gift, nice home made card, and store bought mix for some brownies his favorite!. I haven't ate the brownies yet, but I already added two to my diary because I KNOW I WILL eat at least two and have calories for a third one Im such a piggy! lol Tomorrows goal is to enjoy my weights and the outdoor stairs and get a good calorie burn to afford my calories for some Chile Relleno and dessert!

Thats it for me ladies until next Month! have a great weekend and hope some of you pull some April fool pranks, I still got to think of something clever but no one ever falls for my jokes cause I joke a lot as it is!! Good Night Cynthia! :bigsmile:
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Kendi - Thanks!! And I am glad to hear that the new shoes are helping...I know getting mine made a huge difference for me!! I'm sure you will be seeing a 1/2 in your future too. This time last year, I never would have dreamed of doing one. Keep it up and you will get there in no time!! And love the pic, its good to put a face with the name!! Glad you had some calorie and weight successes this week!! And amazing job on that 5k!! Great time and progress!!

Bethany - Its great that you had a good weekend, weekends are always a struggle for me foodwise!! And you're cooking soo much...thats awesome!! Sorry you got another stomach bug though...that stinks. I think that if your heart isn't in the running that you will dread every workout...so if you love kickboxing then stick with that!! You have to do what makes you happy!!

Cynthia - Glad to hear that you had a great time with your family!! Even if you dont see them often, you all still make the effort to get together when you can!! And you will knock em' dead at your 1/2 in May......you are more then prepared!! Hope you have fun at the BF's 30th!! And I can tear up brownies too!! They are just soo good. Chili Rellenos are one of my favs....just wish they werent horrible for you!! I get them once in awhile on my higher calorie burn days too!!

Eleanor - Thanks!! My boyfriend said the same thing, that I didnt look dead enough when I finished...haha, I felt dead enough though!! I was just inredible happy that I had made it. And its crazy that you're finding a 12miler short....I hope I feel that way someday!! Sounds like you had agood practice...and those waffles look amazing!! I am jealous! The inspiration tree is a great idea, I bet it helps to keep you all going.

Jacqui - Welcome!! Sounds like you have an interesting life with a lot going on!! I love that you are doing something against poaching....it's horrible that people hunt down these animals!!

Manda - I completely understand your stress level. Graduating school puts you at a difficult spot in your life...the time to make serious decisions. But just remember that nothing is set in stone and even though you may not feel like it, you will figure it all out in time!! The Navy may be a good option for you, just make sure you think through all of your choices before putting anything in writting. Hang in there!!

Meag - You are out of the loop if you havent heard of the Hunger Games!! I read all of the books a little while ago and just saw the movie...very good books and not a bad movie either, although it leaves a lot out. I can't believe you did a spin class the day after your race...I felt like I could barely walk after mine!! You are so inspiring!! Congrats on hitting your 100 mile mark, thats awesome!! Sorry things are still dicey with Tyler....fill us in more later.

AFM - I have been having a rough time this week staying on track....took a few days off running to recover for the race. Then ran on Wednesday and walked thursday. Ran again yesterday but work all weekend so no running this weekend. I will get back on my normal workout schedule this week....but its really the eating that I am struggling with. Right now, I just feel like I don't really care anymore and don't want to have to deal with it...I hope it passes soon...I need to get myself back on track!!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hey all, wow so many good things going on with you all, so a here's a big major congrats to all on racing, miles, weight loss, and all that good stuff!
    Ugh this week I've been dealing with being sick like I've never been I swear. It set in Monday and by Tuesday morning I was so completely stuffed in my nose that I couldn't sleep. I was literally crying in bed over it. It took some nighttime Theraflu, a vapor patch, and a sleeping pill for me to get about 3 hours at one time then 1 additional hour later on. I wanted to call out of work, but didn't want to make my friend/co-worker have to cover me so I stuck it out. This led to an entire day of not being able to taste food, horrible! So when I got my sense of smell/taste back I just ate whatever for about 2 days. Finally ran yesterday and have a running/walking date with my friend tomorrow. Still recovering and feeling lazy today but keeping track of the cals. I was able to see 143.5 on the scale pre-sickness, which I haven't seen since last July. The other day I was up to 146, which is hopefully temporary.. Getting back on track again, and hopefully finishing up Ripped in 30 in April.. Oh and finally, I signed up for running classes so it will be nice to have some in-person guidance and a somewhat custom plan for my goals, and mostly to have other people to talk to about running and be social with, yay! Def ready for a new month!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Hey ladies - I really want to catch up but only have time to post the new challenge tonight. I'm actually at Ty's and making him wait for me to get this done so making it a quickie!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/546897-kicking-a-in-our-twenties-april-challenge-take-2

Please post your Mar results in the new thread along with your goals for April. I really hope you stick with us - This month's been tough and slow on the threads, but we've made some major accomplishments and I am super proud of every one of us.

Let's keep it going ladies! :drinker:

Much love!