March Walking Challenge

Options
This is continued from previous Walking Challenges, but its nice when each month has its own thread.

*** Anyone can join in at any time, the more the merrier, lets keep each other motivated****

Walking seems like the easiest way to start getting exercise, and even if you can't track distance (or don't want to), tracking time is good too...go for a 10 min walk after dinner, or up it to 30 minutes, you'll be amazed at the end of the month how much more exercise your getting in. :)

Check in everyday with how far you walked or how long, this is just to motivate us to get in at least some exercise everyday, and keep an eye on each other.

I want to try to keep this mostly to walking or walking type exercising. treadmills and ellipticals are A-OK.

Hope to see some more faces in this challenge, we'll start tracking March 1st.

Replies

• NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Replying so I remember where this thread is :) Thanks so much for starting it!
    I use my ipod Nano to record my steps every day, so I'll report steps/miles. My goal for March is 10k every day. I usually average around 8k (long lunchtime walks).
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I try to walk 3-5 miles a day, and I use my FitBit to keep track of calories burned, but I track the time for MFP. This post is a great motivational tool. Thanks for starting it
  • jesusislove1526
    jesusislove1526 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Writing in so that this can be in my topics section. I will post on each Sunday.
  • Riyanna
    Riyanna Posts: 11
    Options
    Good luck to everyone! :)
    I'm gonna join you guys next month, after I finished my personal challenge!
  • debdptg
    debdptg Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Writing in so that this can be in my topics section. I will post on each Sunday.

That is a great idea, thanks. Posting the amount walked each week is a good way to keep track for myself, too!

Is anyone going to use a device? Pedometer? HRM? And are you taking anyone with you? My dog is a given, but I might get the kids motivated a bit - maybe the man if I promise to talk dirty while we walk...
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I did a mile today. I try to get in usually about 1.5 - 2 miles a day. I biked after walking this morning, tho!
  • annasgyal
    annasgyal Posts: 1,692 Member
    Options
    I am in!
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i like walking but it's cold and wet outside.. not very attractive.. :(
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,085 Member
    Options
    I'm in, i just registered for a 3 mile walk in May so I need to start walking daily now
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can do this!! I try to do 5-6 miles a week
  • ford8709
    ford8709 Posts: 140
    Options
    Will try to do this. I really need to start walking again
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I walk about 25-35 miles a week.
  • candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Pretty excited to come across this tread I just got back into walking last week I was at 6 miles today :)
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm in.

3/01/2012 2.81 mi, 238 cal, 35 min - elliptical (right hip pain)

Total miles: 2.81
    Total calories: 238
    Total minutes: 35
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I walk almost every day. This will just push me to push myself a little bit more!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Date: 3/1
    Today: 16286 Steps = 7.21 Miles = 527 calories
    For the month: 16286 Steps = 7.21 Miles = 527 calories

I'm using the accelerometer on my ipod nano for the numbers.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    45 minutes today

exercise.png
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to walk home from school every day, and that's about 3 miles.. I go to the gym now though 'cause I'm up in university, but I'd love to get back in to walking again. :)
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Glad i found this post - AND its only the 2nd day of the month :-)

does anyone use RunKeeper? Its a free app on my android, its a great tracking system it tracks miles, time, calories and its pretty cool to look and see how much you've done after a month or so!
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    3.25 miles this morning :-) were dog sitting so there are 3 dogs at the house right now, each got a mile (3 at one time was too much for this dog walker)