WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    So a question. I've lost 50 pounds and you'd think I'd know what I was doing but..... Can someone explain to me why I hear you can't count any water in your 8 cup count if you add anything to it? I understand no counting diet drinks and juices etc. but why does adding a flavor packet to it make it not count?
    [/quote]

I wonder this too, although I don't officially log my water, I drink water all day, and when I get home from work, I like to ad something, like the greatvalue Peach tea for metabolism
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody :flowerforyou:
    Scale has stayed the same now for about 4 weeks. It's good I haven't gained.
    I know the issue.....EXERCISE. Just can't seem to fit it in. Work from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. When I get home no motivation to get onto the treadmill. :sad:

I do try to fit in some kind of walking on the weekend -

Question: do you all only lose when exercise is involved? I remember "the good ole days" when I could cut back on the food and the lbs would come off......now....not so much :cry:

I'm aiming for 5 lbs in March. Birthday is near the end of the month so hope I can truly celebrate:flowerforyou:
    Thanks all for your input and suggestions.

DeterminedinAZ
    Barb
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow! I haven't posted in a few days and there are six pages to read already. Hugs :frown: to all of you struggling with losses, and hugs :bigsmile: for you with the happy times.

Yesterday, I wore my FT7 HRM for 24 hours. I was curious to see what it would say. Phew! There is NO WAY I burned that many calories (3964) because I intentionally did not do any special exercise. And NOOOOO, I did NOT eat back my calories...LOL

My partner, Vic, is going in for her second knee replacement surgery Wednesday. The first one, they ODed her with anesthesia and she ended up in Critical Care Unit (aka ICU). Her lung function tests come back at 31%, so any surgery is scary. This surgeon does all the knee replacements while the patient is under twilight sleep, a nerve block to the knee and a spinal block. They know how her crazy body works now, so they'll be better prepared, but I am still putting out a call for all prayer/healing circles to be active starting at 7 am CST on March 7th.

I'm scared. We almost lost her last time, but she in insisting on this surgery.

Sorry, I'll keep you all updated later...

Beth
  • shastar
    shastar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am back on the band wagon after I went for my annual physical last week. I have been doing exercise classes and lifting weights at the gym 3-6 days a week since we joined Jan 15th. I did not lose anything until that physical. I had gained back 10 pounds out of 30 I lost. So, since last Tuesday I have been tracking my food in MFP again and getting my self control in tack. I keep up the exercising too. I lost 3 pounds since last Tuesday and really happy. Pretty soon I will be back to where I was last time I updated my status on MFP last November. Then I will have to keep going down ten more pounds to my goal my doctor recommends. I think I am on the right track now. It just takes a lot of self-control. I am in control of what goes in my mouth.

I have an under active thyroid so I have to work so much harder to lose a pound!

Good luck to everyone this week!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I read all the posts :bigsmile: and have laughed and cried with all of you but won't be able to reply individually.

:flowerforyou: about water additives
    there is a lot of research about negative effects of artificial sweeteners so be careful with them.....unsweetened herb tea is a great choice for a change from plain water

:flowerforyou: the biggest reason to exercise is for health even if you don't need to burn extra calories for weight loss
    read "Younger Next Year for Women" or "Strong Women Stay Young" or "The New Rules of Lifting for Women"

:flowerforyou: I had to walk alone this morning before picking up the dogs but I walked them for over an hour this afternoon....they were ecstatic to be home.......Bernie is so happy to be home.....I have had to move him off the computer keyboard many times as I was reading the posts tonight.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I'm headed for bed early so I can get rested and be up early for dog walking

:flowerforyou: about squats.....I've been walking for hours every day for years along with dancing and riding an exercise bike so the squats seemed easier for me.....I do plie squats because I fall over when I do the traditional ones.....I do them in groups of 20 and keep track on the same paper I use to keep track of my water. In the group where I keep track of the squat challenge there are women young enough to be my daughter or granddaughter who do 500 squats a day........I compete against myself not against them :laugh: :laugh: the biggest challenge is to never, never, never give up.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where the sun was shining this afternoon after a morning of rain.
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I know the issue.....EXERCISE. Just can't seem to fit it in. Work from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. When I get home no motivation to get onto the treadmill. :sad:

Question: do you all only lose when exercise is involved? I remember "the good ole days" when I could cut back on the food and the lbs would come off......now....not so much :cry:

I'm aiming for 5 lbs in March. Birthday is near the end of the month so hope I can truly celebrate:flowerforyou:

DeterminedinAZ
    Barb
    I work 12 hour shifts. When i get home its feed the animals. Get fire going. And before it gets to warm. I do just dance on the Wii. Now 3 days a week strength training. It is for me. I tell myself that every day.
    Joyce
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    So a question. I've lost 50 pounds and you'd think I'd know what I was doing but..... Can someone explain to me why I hear you can't count any water in your 8 cup count if you add anything to it? I understand no counting diet drinks and juices etc. but why does adding a flavor packet to it make it not count?

JAKS, it's a myth. Recent research indicates that water is water regardless of what else is in it. Avoid putting unhealthy stuff in water, but enjoy your tea. Here are links to articles on the subject. Note that even the Mayo Clinic states that "all fluids count toward the daily total".

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/stories/2005/09/15/1460760.htm

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20020711213420data_trunc_sys.shtml
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    So I was not able to get out of bed to spinning yesterday morning, but instead of going home at the end of the day, went to the gym and did 45 minutes on the stairmaster. Came home, ate well, and then planned my meals for today. Really excited about my meals for the day. DID get up this morning to meet trainer at 6:30. Now if I can get some more cardio in this afternoon.

Keep on plugging.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Sisters (That’s union talk…:wink: )

JB So sad about your neighbour, and a blessing for all that you are able to take the dog.

Jeannie, good job adding exercise back on to your list of goals :drinker: . If you need yet another reason to persevere, read (or listen to) the book “Spark”, by John J. Ratey. He reviews the research that shows the links between brain chemistry and exercise. There’s no doubt exercise improves mood, delays dementia, reduces stress, etc. It’s not a text-book, actually quite a good read with lots of stories of “real” people.

Suzane I am right with you on the goals that are not directly food or exercise related, but still improve our quality of life – for example smiling at people :happy: When I’m in a good mood it’s easier to stick with the exercise/diet plan. So it makes sense to try and organize life for a good mood.

Kcsuze – Don’t let those machines get to you! :noway: They are not the best way to exercise anyway. If you want to use the gym equipment, see if you can get a trainer to give you an orientation before you start. That takes the fear right out of it.

Joyce, strength training is great. Have fun, lift heavy! :explode: (You probably already do lift heavy, I have an image of you hauling fire wood)

Cathy – great news about the house, and the closing date in June. :drinker: Onward and upward (or downward, in terms of the scale!)

Frogmama, you are “putting winter away” :smile: I like that expression. How about some daffodils or tulips for your dining room table?

Beth – I’ll be praying for your Vic and for you. What a worry.

Strike News Update: I am the “office manager” for two hours a day. Yesterday I answered two phone calls and tidied the kitchen. :noway: On the positive side, I was able to chat with teachers I don’t see often because we don’t work at the same schools, and I think I broke down some of the restraint they feel toward me because I was “the boss” and thus “the enemy” for a long time.

Today I am going to wear a T-shirt my brother-in-law gave my son. BIL worked at the car-plant in Oshawa for many years. The shirt has a UAW logo on the front and huge picture of a cobra snake on the back and the caption says “If Provoked, We Will Strike”. That’s funny on two counts, first the visual pun, and second because my surname is “Cobra”. :laugh: Really, truly. (It’s Ukrainian, “Kobra”.)

There are a few advantages to unexpected time off: I was finished my workout by 2 pm, and did a pile of extra kitchen & laundry chores. Today I am going to tackle tidying up my "office". All the horizontal surfaces have disappeared under piles of paper.

Hasta pronto, Nancy :drinker:

Goals for March:
    Exercise at least 35 hours
    Run two miles in 20 minutes
    Finish Phase One of New Rules, perfect my form doing lunges
    Make the bed, put away my clothes, leave the kitchen tidy.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Here's an NSV (Non Scale Victory) that only women really understand.

I got new sports bras (Moving Comfort brand, Maia style, truly great for the "well endowed woman" who wants to move) in the mail yesterday. Six months ago I was a 36DD, today I am a 34E.

That's two inches off my ribcage/upper back. Oh yeah. Happy dance. :laugh:

Nancy
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options
    good morning everyone!
    having trouble with sugar grams...i eat a lot of fruit and that sends it high! my daughter (major diet and fitness nazi) has made some suggestions, but i REALLY want my fruit! ok enough whining.

splashwags - good job!

shastar - understand about the thyroid issue...me too. my mother had problems her whole life so i have been checked yearly since i was 30 but no problems until last year when i got a bad upper respiratory infection...that ended up affecting my thyroid with thyroiditis.....pain, swelling, etc. had biopsies, bloodwork, all kinds of yuk. now on meds daily. i guess it is helping some, but i still have symptoms...and hard to lose weight is a big one!

beth - will be praying for vic (and you). had knee replacement when i was 51 and it was so dreadful. the concious sedation is not so bad, but if vic is sensitive to it, it can be tricky! hope she has amazing recovery from surgery.

JB - yikes about the deceased neighbor! we had similar story...neighbors family came to us saying they could not get him to door, hubby went over and called police to come. they refused to enter locked premises. so i took their kids home with me, my husband broke in and found neighbor. glad i took kids! so sorry you had to go thru it!

nancy - LOVE the shirt! been thru union issues w/hubby. stinks.

everyone who has lost - great job! stay motivated and keep on keeping on!

now i have to go figure out what i can eat at girls lunch out today. once every couple of months some friends get together who we dont see much....to catch up....and its always somewhere that is SO tempting, as the other girls are younger and slimmer than me!

cant wait for thurs...i will go and watch my grandchildren in their ballet and gymnastics class on friday then bring them home with me for the weekend and lily's first ever horse show on her pony! granted, it is only a leadline class, but she is only 4 and lives 2 hours away from her pony! so we are starting slow, but hopefully by the end of summer she will be ready for a walk class! can you tell nana is excited?

yvonne
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone:

I had a good day yesterday. This one has started off well too. Exercise is out of the way.

I'm off to the shower and I've got to take the dog to the vet this afternoon.

My husband gave me a Kindle Fire yesterday and I spent most of the afternoon playing around with it. I think I am going to enjoy it and especially that it will fit nicely on the Elliptical so I can get in some exercise while reading if I want to.

Have a good day all,

Cindy
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Another Sunny Tuesday in Denver,

Sunny today and supposed to get around 70...and then tomorrow is supposed to be mid to low 30's with the possiblity of a bit of snow...it's no wonder people get sick when the weather jumps around like that:noway:

Cathy- so glad you got an offer on the house, hubby would love to sell ours and get into a condo or townhome where he doesn't have to do the yard work, it's sure to be in our future someday. Just this past weekend we figured that we have lived in our current home for almost 20 years and let me tell you that's a lot of "stuff" that needs to be gone through:ohwell:

Jb- so sorry about your neighbor but glad you were there to take her dog:flowerforyou:

Barb- I have found that if I really want to lose I have to do some form of exercise...just wish I loved it:blushing: like so many of the others here do.

Beth- prayers for Vic and her surgery that it goes smoothly and for you to be her positive force for recovery:smile:

Splashwags- WOW up at 6:30 to meet the trainer:noway: That is determination!

Nancy- congrats on the 34E:flowerforyou:

Last Sunday we went and saw "The Artist", having never seen a silent movie I really enjoyed it:heart: the acting was really good and both hubby and I liked the story line.

The eyes are really tired this am and just to see this computer screen I am having to wear my glasses, hoping that it clears up soon.

I know that it's exercise that makes the difference for my body if I want to lose:ohwell: just wish I enjoyed it more. I know I like what the scale says at the end of a week when I've been good on my eating, drinking water and exercise...but I still manage to want to skip it so much of the time, maybe someday .....

Everyone have a good day, drink plenty of water:drinker: and let's keep moving (I do plan on getting on the exercise bike tonight when I get home)

Laura80111:smile:
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Last Sunday we went and saw "The Artist", having never seen a silent movie I really enjoyed it:heart: the acting was really good and both hubby and I liked the story line.

I have toyed with the idea of going to that movie. I don't go to a lot of movies these days but that one caught my attention. Might just be pushed into going with your recommendation.

Wow, our Home Owners Association has blown up into a big mess. They started a Facebook page to keep people up to date because nobody ever attends the homeowners meetings and it's turned into an attack everyone site. Not pretty to see. I'm staying out of it or I'll become a target. It's really kind of odd because we have a good HOA, they have money in the bank for future expenses they know are coming up (we have to maintain our own roads and the pool needs fixing) and they are not spending money that would just be wasteful (an example is people want a new entrance sign and fancy stonework... well they will be widening the highway in about a year and we'd have to redo it all in a year, much better to wait than spend the money twice... but all these folks complaining can see is the here and now. They're favorite line is, "what's a few thousand dollars?" uh...... a few thousand dollars is a lot to just throw away in my book). Anyway, it's become quite the controversy. I won't be surprised if they shut down the Facebook venue. lol

I bought ten lovely blueberry bushes. Pretty mature bushes in 5 gal. containers. I planted ten azaleas yesterday, I guess today is blueberry day. :)
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone

Just a quick post as I am falling asleep :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Still managing to do my exercises but seem to be losing the same few pounds over and over again :grumble: :grumble: I know I need to stop putting too much food into my mouth! :noway: I've cut down on eating bread at lunchtime which helps, but it's the biscuits - I can't seemto drink a cup of tea without a biscuit or two:embarassed: and I love my tea.

:flowerforyou: Beth here's hoping Vic recovers quickly from her surgery.

:flowerforyou: JB how kind of you to take in your neighbours dog.

Better post this before I fall asleep,

Take care ladies
    Viv :smile:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hey Girls,

Just a reminder that the foods in the foods log aren't always accurate. I just put in Southern Grove Roasted Salted Whole Almonds. It came up 80 fat grams! The package clearly says 19. I don't know who entered the numbers but, oops, that made my fat total go out the roof! So if you get something that seems screwy be sure to check it out.

I've entered the correct numbers so if you ever use that product be sure and select the correct one.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get incorrect information deleted?

Cindy
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Just popping in for a sec...Yes, Cindy's right, many, many food entries on here are incorrect! I've had to do lots of research on other websites to find correct nutritional values. You can "edit" an entry on here and correct nutritional values. Once you do that, the food will automatically be placed in "My Foods" on your food diary page.

Thanks everyone for your kind words about my neighbor lady and Cody. Found out it's actually spelled Kody. He's doing well, eating, drinking, even hauled a slipper and sock out of the bedroom wanting to play a little. He claimed the couch last night and slept there. He has a bit of a question mark on his face now and again, though, and sits by the front door wanting to go back home to his house. Poor boy, it'll take awhile to adjust. My other 2 dogs are being perfect angels and have accepted him, bless their little doggie hearts.

Sure hope I lose a pound this week, trying like heck!

Good day, everyone.
    jb
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

My partner, Vic, is going in for her second knee replacement surgery Wednesday. The first one, they ODed her with anesthesia and she ended up in Critical Care Unit (aka ICU). Her lung function tests come back at 31%, so any surgery is scary. This surgeon does all the knee replacements while the patient is under twilight sleep, a nerve block to the knee and a spinal block. They know how her crazy body works now, so they'll be better prepared, but I am still putting out a call for all prayer/healing circles to be active starting at 7 am CST on March 7th.

I'm scared. We almost lost her last time, but she in insisting on this surgery.

Sorry, I'll keep you all updated later...

Beth

beth i hope vic surgery goes well....good luck:flowerforyou:
  • westernjoy
    Options
    Woke to absolutely beautiful day sun is out. 1 more night of graveyard. Then I can really enjoy 3 days of nice weather . So need it.A few more weeks and day light savings time. Going to get the rest of my raised bed tilled, get my Walla Walla planted. On my days off. Everyone have a great day.
  • westernjoy
    Options

DeterminedinAZ
    Barb
    I work 12 hour shifts. When i get home its feed the animals. Get fire going. And before it gets to warm. I do just dance on the Wii. Now 3 days a week strength training. It is for me. I tell myself that every day.
    Joyce
    Barb just so you know I don't care to exercise either. If I don't I will never lose this weight. I would rather clean horse stall or the chicken coop then get on a treadmill, Or walk everyday.Joyce