WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options

Replies

• mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies :happy: ,

Buster the Poodle is going to have fun :happy: today It’s a between workouts day so I’ll be walking. I can’t work, and the sun is shining so I’m going to take him to Duck Lake and we’ll walk the *kitten* for at least 3 miles. I can let him off his leash there, so he can set his own pace.

Cindy, I have 4 Kindles (just the basic model) for my classroom as part of a research project. The Kindle has a text-to-speech feature, so students can read & listen. I want to find out if it improves reluctant readers' fluency and satisfaction with reading. So far, they think it’s uber cool to be the one with the Kindle, so that’s success on one count. I can download books that aren’t in our school library, that’s another success. That said, I have to use it to become the expert, right? And I love it! I think I may just buy a Kindle Fire for myself so I can continue to do my "research" on my own time this summer. :wink: The gadget girl strikes again!

Laura, it’s weirding me out to say this, :noway: but since I started weight training I do look forward to my workouts. The spin class is, well, it’s a different story.

“The Artist” is our cinema club movie this month, we’re looking forward to it.

Marcelynh: Your HOA Facebook page sounds a bit much. :grumble: It’s frightening that people are so quick to send vitriolic posts over the internet and say things they’d never dream of saying face-to-face. How was blueberry day?

Jane – pleased to hear the good news on your blood tests. Take care, and don’t push yourself too hard on the new knee. :flowerforyou:

Sarah, congrats on the 4 inches lost around the middle :flowerforyou: you must need to wear a belt with everything you own!

Wow, Beth, size 24w to a 14! Way to go! :happy:

I could not go to school yesterday, so accomplished a few interesting things around the house:

Ground a new batch of flour: 1 part spelt/2 parts red fife. It smelled sooo good.

Spent some time figuring out how to use the extra features on my WW scale. I can now track my body fat and bone density over time. That should be interesting. Another line on my spreadsheet :noway:

A final “thanks” to the folks who chimed in to help me resist the Tim Horton’s donuts, muffins and cookies while I was working at the union office yesterday. :smile: I work the 11:00 – 1:00 shift, forgot my lunch, and had to sit there surrounded by junk food. The best deterrent was the one who sent me the calorie/fat content of a Tim Horton’s chocolate chip cookie. :sick: Devastating!

All signs political and bureaucratic point to a return to work tomorrow.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

Goals for March:
    Log at least 35 hours exercise on the HRM
    Run two miles in 20 minutes
    Finish Phase One of New Rules, perfect my form doing lunges
    Make the bed, put away my clothes, leave the kitchen tidy.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Weds everyone. :flowerforyou:

Cody went to his new home last night, the daughter came and picked him up. I'm so glad. She has 2 other dogs and a very big yard so Cody will be fine. Plus, Cody knows her. She gave us a beautiful Thank You card for keeping an eye on her mom and taking care of Cody for a few days. I'm happy for Cody yet still sad about the whole affair. My neighbor was 65, she had just received funds to have surgery on her crippled knees. Then, just like that, a heart attack. And Cody's cancer prognosis is very short term. It's all just so very sad. This life is really something. :cry:

Later this morning I'll take my terrier for a long hike in the woods. Need to clear my head and burn off this sadness. I could probably use a good cry but you know how it is sometimes, the tears just won't come. I'll feel better after I get out and work up a good sweat. :wink:

We have another "visitor" this morning, I heard a chirping sound out in the garage. Rats don't chirp, do they? :noway:

Have a great day, and Go Salad Sistas! Can't wait for lunch. :tongue:
    jb
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I am still here. Still reading. not much posting. Yesterday's snow allowed me to work from home. Bodi and Ritter were muddy messes once it melted on the south side of the house. But they were happy.

I still haven't found my mojo. I just keep plodding along not gaining, not losing. I hope a new job will motivate me.

Have a great day ladies.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's a freezing rain Wednesday with snow expected this afternoon!

Virginia - HAPPY BIRTHDAY:flowerforyou: I'm sure you will find a special way to celebrate this one!

VickiM- Hope Beth's test finds what the problem is.:smile:

Suz- there is nothing like trying to fit stuff in a suitcase, at least you are driving so you don't have the weight restrictions that are found when you fly:wink:

yclayton- it sounds like you will have quite the weekend with your little foozes....we look forward to the pictures.:drinker:

Nancy- Wow it seems like it was just yesterday that the strike started and already you are saying you will be back to work, :smile:

jb-:laugh: :laugh: rats chirping:laugh: :laugh: you gave me my smile of the morning.

Marcaclynh- hoping your daughter gets her "release" to get back behind the wheel :drinker: and hoping your Mamogram isn't too bad. And speaking of Mamograms I thought I'd share this story from another web site that I read...it's quite humorous.....

Hanging by a Boob – by Gerikragh at Spark People

While conducting some business at the Courthouse, I overheard a lady, who
    had been arrested for assaulting a Mammogram Technician, say,
    "Your Honor, I'm guilty but . . . there were extenuating circumstances."

The female Judge said, sarcastically, "I'd certainly like to hear those
    extenuating circumstances."

I did too, soooo I listened as the lady told her story.

"Your Honor, I had a mammogram appointment, which I actually kept. I was
    met by this perky little clipboard carrier smiling from ear to ear and she
    tilted her head to one side and crooned, "Hi! I'm Belinda! All I need you
    to do is step into this room right here, strip to the waist, then slip on
    this gown. Everything clear?"

I'm thinking, "Belinda, try decaf. This ain't rocket science." Belinda
    then skipped away to prepare the chamber of horrors

With the right side finished, Belinda flipped me (literally) to the left
    and said, "Hmmmm. Can you stand on your tippy toes and lean in a tad so we
    can get everything?" Fine, I answered.

I was freezing, bruised, and out of air, so why not use the
    remaining circulation in my legs and neck to finish me off? My body was in
    a holding pattern that defied gravity (with my other breast wedged between
    those two 4 inch pieces of square glass) when I heard and felt a zap!

Complete darkness, the power was off!

Belinda said, "Uh-oh, maintenance is working, bet they hit a snag." Then
    she headed for the door.

"Excuse me! You're not leaving me in this vise alone are you?" I shouted.

Belinda kept going and said, "Oh, you fussy puppy...the door's wide open
    so you'll have the emergency hall lights. I'll be right back."

Before I could shout NOOOO! She disappeared. And that's exactly how Bubba
    and Earl, "maintenance men Extraordinaire" found me...half-naked with part
    of me dangling from the Jaws of Life and the other part smashed between glass!

After exchanging a polite Hi, how's it going type greeting, Bubba (or
    possibly Earl) asked, to my utter disbelief, if I knew the power was off.

Trying to disguise my hysteria, I replied with as much calmness as
    possible, "Uh, yes, I did but thanks anyway."

"OK, you take care now" Bubba replied and waved good-bye as though I'd
    been standing in the line at the grocery store.

Two hours later, Belinda breezes in wearing a sheepish grin. Making no
    attempt to suppress her amusement, she said, "Oh I am sooo sorry! The
    power came back on and I totally forgot about you! And silly me, I went
    to lunch. Are we upset?"

And that, Your Honor, is exactly how her head ended up between the
    clamps..."

The judge could hardly contain her laughter as she said "Case Dismissed".:bigsmile:

And with that I will say have a good day all, lets drink our water:drinker: and keep moving.

Laura80111:smile:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Virginia:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Yes, what a great birthday present you have given yourself...You should be very proud!

Marcelyn(sp?): Hope your daughter gets the go-ahead to drive and you are cut loose! How nice that she has had you to help out!

Nancy: Great job resisting temptation...in the mode I've been in past couple of days...I would NOT have made it! Good for you:flowerforyou:

jp: I am SO sorry for your loss:cry: Give yourself some leeway to be sad and be gentle with yourself. Take care:flowerforyou:

Robin: Glad to see you, but hope you find your mojo. I'm glad you are still checking in but don't beat yourself up. I think we all go up, down and all around...you're here and I'm glad!:flowerforyou:

Beth: AWESOME on the dress size! That's got to feel great!

SuzyQ: Hope your clothing fits and that you have a great road trip! Keep in touch when you can:drinker:

The sun is out, it is COLD.......but 7 new inches of snow, so we WILL ski today hard. We are happily waiting for it to warm up a few degrees before heading out. It will be good to burn a lot of calories after my day over yesterday! Thinking of all of you and sending good energy and kind thoughts to all of you who are struggling. Take care:heart: Kackie
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Laura: (We were typing at the same time)....That was a FUNNY but PAINFUL story:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Glad I just had my "squish test" last month!!!:noway:

Thanks, Kackie
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HAPPY BIRTHDAY VIRGINA!! Thinking of you today. How exciting to begin a new decade in the exact place you want to be. Enjoy your day!

AHealthier Suzy - Hope your trip goes well and that you have a lovely ceremony for your son.

Happy Wednesday All - Happy to be at hump day. We have had so much going on this week. Tonight is my only free night all week. Soaking beans for dinner and planning my walk around the neighborhood.

March looks like it is giving us a mild one this year. So many things are starting to bud out and bloom. Love Spring! It is so optomistic!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump day!Happy birthday Virginia:drinker:

hope Beth`s tests go good.
    jb-take care of yourself
    Everyone else enjoy your day,do what you can for yourself.
    Thanks for the love and support.
    Pt tonite,2 days no pain.So we`ll see how it goes tonite.
    HUGS:flowerforyou:
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody :flowerforyou:
    Scale has stayed the same now for about 4 weeks. It's good I haven't gained.
    I know the issue.....EXERCISE. Just can't seem to fit it in. Work from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. When I get home no motivation to get onto the treadmill. :sad:

I do try to fit in some kind of walking on the weekend -

Question: do you all only lose when exercise is involved? I remember "the good ole days" when I could cut back on the food and the lbs would come off......now....not so much :cry:

I'm aiming for 5 lbs in March. Birthday is near the end of the month so hope I can truly celebrate:flowerforyou:
    Thanks all for your input and suggestions.

DeterminedinAZ
    Barb
    I work 12 hour shifts. When i get home its feed the animals. Get fire going. And before it gets to warm. I do just dance on the Wii. Now 3 days a week strength training. It is for me. I tell myself that every day.
    Joyce
    Barb just so you know I don't care to exercise either. If I don't I will never lose this weight. I would rather clean horse stall or the chicken coop then get on a treadmill, Or walk everyday.Joyce

Thanks Joyce. I try on the weekend to at least to take a 30 min walk. I know some type of exercise need to happen. My daughter who is an MFP member used the wii fit. I tried it when I visited her in Nov. Maybe an investment like that may help????
    Thanks for your input. Have a good Wednesday!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody :flowerforyou:
    Scale has stayed the same now for about 4 weeks. It's good I haven't gained.
    I know the issue.....EXERCISE. Just can't seem to fit it in. Work from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. When I get home no motivation to get onto the treadmill. :sad:

I do try to fit in some kind of walking on the weekend -

Question: do you all only lose when exercise is involved? I remember "the good ole days" when I could cut back on the food and the lbs would come off......now....not so much :cry:

I'm aiming for 5 lbs in March. Birthday is near the end of the month so hope I can truly celebrate:flowerforyou:
    Thanks all for your input and suggestions.

DeterminedinAZ
    Barb

I think you may just want to take the word exercise out and replace it with "move". If you stand instead of sit, or walk a little further when you park, take a flight of stairs instead the elevator, you are moving and burning more. That little bit just may help.
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Here's an NSV (Non Scale Victory) that only women really understand.

I got new sports bras (Moving Comfort brand, Maia style, truly great for the "well endowed woman" who wants to move) in the mail yesterday. Six months ago I was a 36DD, today I am a 34E.

That's two inches off my ribcage/upper back. Oh yeah. Happy dance. :laugh:

Nancy

Truely exciting!! Love that your "horizontal surfaces" are clean too.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Here's an NSV (Non Scale Victory) that only women really understand.

I got new sports bras (Moving Comfort brand, Maia style, truly great for the "well endowed woman" who wants to move) in the mail yesterday. Six months ago I was a 36DD, today I am a 34E.

That's two inches off my ribcage/upper back. Oh yeah. Happy dance. :laugh:

Nancy

nancy how wonderful and also how encouraging.....continued success

@virginia....HAPPY BIRTHDAY....i hope you enjoyed your day....big hug

it was a long day with lots of appts and errands to run....so i just logged in will come back a bit later after i read all the posts ......yesterday i went to the doctor AGAIN, because of the shortness of breath i was having(i had a spin class yesterday and had to leave 40min into the class)the doctor recommends light activity(no exercise that will increase my heart rate)for another 4weeks and some meds, and that should be the end of the bronchitis ......so i am a bit bummed about my workouts, but will continued to do some form of exercise without exerting too much effort......i will try walking very lightly(since i have a bad hip, thats another story) and continue with my weights sessions.....

i will check back a bit later:flowerforyou:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Beth is fine and did well. she has internal cystitis. It is unknown as to how you get it and is incurable, but treatable. He blew up her bladder and filled it with antibiotics and says she should be good for several years. There are foods to avoid and herbal pill she can take to help.
    Will post later.
    vicki m
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I just read posts and had to comment on mammogram story. Oh my so funny but kind of scary. I never thought about what would happen if power went out while they were squeezed. Ouch just thinking of it.
  • patssy7
    patssy7 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm in! Skootch over a little, y'all. : )
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    kackie - When I use the Sudafed, I take the 12 hour. I seem to have found out that when it gets real bad, then it starts to affect my ears and I get dizzy. So I'm trying to keep this at bay. Oh, I've had sinus infections. I can tell when I have it, I usually need some sort of antibiotic (that stuff you take for like 5 days...I forget what it's called it's been so long since I've used it). Woke up today at 3:30. I don't think I'll go to the Y until later. I'll take that water aaerobics class, and it doesn't start until 8:30.

Debbie - don't let that injury of yours stop you from going to the gym! Get in the habit. You can work upper body until it heals. Heal better fast.

Viv - if you know what you're going to have for breakfast the next day, log it the night before. That's what I usually do.

Vicki - Glad to hear that Beth is doing fine.

Marcelynh - "hold your breath". I always laugh when they say that, as if I could breathe!

Nancy - you are one wonderful teacher. I'm assuming that you bought those Kindles

Did an hour of deep water today. Tomorrow I'll do a Jari Love Slim & Lean DVD (weights). Friday I'm planning to use the Stairmaster and then probably play mahjongg.

Did some food shopping today. Butter was on sale for $1.99 so I bought it and will put it in the freezer. Asparagus was $1.99/lb so I got some, roasted it, and am eating on it right now. Got Jessica some Oreo Double Stuff -- was $2.49 but I had two $1 coupons. I also got Jessica some crab, she was telling me how she got the imitation crab because it was cheaper. This crab was BOGO. Then went to the senior bowling. I didn't do too great at all. Wonder why I do so much better in practice than in league. Well, at least I'm keeping my handicap up!!!

patssy - welcome. My daughter graduated from Gwyned Mercy. Before that she went to Manor college.

Well, think I'll watch some TV, take a shower and hopefully get more rest than I have. My sinuses aren't acting up so maybe I don't need a Sudafed. So many people have suggested that I take Benadryl in the evening. I'll have to look into it.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options
    Beth is fine and did well. she has internal cystitis. It is unknown as to how you get it and is incurable, but treatable. He blew up her bladder and filled it with antibiotics and says she should be good for several years. There are foods to avoid and herbal pill she can take to help.
    Will post later.
    vicki m

glad to hear beth is fine. sounds icky but thank goodness treatable!!!!
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am finally getting better. I actually did some exercise today. I bought a Denis Austin low impact DVD last week and this afternoon, I finally did the aerobic part. I also taught my yoga class tonight so I really think I am on the mend. I realized how little I do move and I need to keep a goal in mind to move more. I think I need to ban myself from playing on the computer at certain times of the day. I also need to wear my pedometer daily (that is going to be my goal for this month and I will record my steps on my log)
    Barbiecat…glad you are back.
    Lilac Rose..welcome…glad you are back.
    Michele…I have the FT7 heart rate monitor and today it was acting strange but I just needed to tighten the chest strap! I was wondering how I would deal with battery trouble. I’ll have to look in the manual. I really rely on it to get my calories burned numbers because they are must lower than the machines at the gym or MFP.
    Debbie…I hope the Advil, ice and rest helps. It’s frustrating to have an injury.
    Nancy…I love my kindle too. I am retired from public school teaching. I use my kindle with some of my tutoring students—it’s a good motivator. One student has an Ipad now and he is reading a lot more.
    Virginia…Happy Birthday!
    Pam….I hope you are feeling better. Bronchitis can be tough.

Have a good night,
    Sally
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    @sallycc and @michele.....i the polar HRM i have a would have to send it to polar to replace the batteries....the last i found a local jewelry store and they replaced the batteries....hope this helps...
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow...miss a day and miss 3 pages of posts! Yesterday was a crazy busy day, and just didn't get here. After catching up I am relating to so many of your stories.

Virginia...happy birthday...You are AMAZING & such an inspiration.

My Zaggora Hot Pants came in the mail on Monday ...however needed signature, so I didn't get them. So, my hubby tried to pick them up at the post office yesterday & today. Our P.O. is open from 10 am to 4 pm and closed from 1-2 pm for lunch. That is pretty unavailable to us "working class folks". He's going to try again tomorrow, and hopefully by the weekend I'll be movin' in my hot-pants. I'd like to add that I explained to my hubby that these were not the "hotpants of the 70's" and he still agreed to get them for me. Love that man!

Yesterday I had dinner with a friend who has applied for a job with the company I work for and has an interview next week. She had some questions about the process, and it was an enjoyable evening. We ate at Cheddars, which is new to our area, and I felt pretty good about my selections. Ordered a Grilled Chicken & Shrimp dish with pineapple salsa over wild rice with sides of steamed broccoli & carrots. Ate about half of all & brought the rest home. I did sample two of the onion rings that my friend ordered ... which were amazing and almost as good as chocolate, since I can't remember the last time I had something deep-fried. I felt that the day was a successful challenge.

My weigh-in at WW felt the effects of the Onion Soup I ate on Monday night...up .2 pounds, but I know why, so will deal with that this week.

Been walking/doing intervals on the treadmill each morning and walk at lunch & evening. This interval running thing is really challenging my knees...so if anyone has any thoughts, I could use the advice. I would really like to be able to run a mile by summer!

Thank you amazing ladies for being the wonderful women you are. The compassion, love, pain & humor that you all share here is truly heartfelt, and I am so honored to be a part of this group.

Hugs to you all.
    MEG