WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2012

Options
1313233343537»

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:flowerforyou: : :flowerforyou: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
    :flowerforyou: JipsyJudy, I agree with you about being cautious and not doing something dangerous just to raise my heart rate. I use my heart rate monitor more as a tool for observation to find out what my heart rate is when I am doing different things. Before I had it, I had no idea what my heart rate was for doing anything. I’ve discovered that line dancing is pretty low on the exertion scale compared to dog walking and even walking across the parking lot to get to class. As I’ve increased weights in my weight training I’m finding which exercises are the most challenging. I’m able to observe how quickly my heart rate returns to normal after something challenging or how low it goes when I’m sitting and relaxing.

:flowerforyou: Dawn, congrats on getting a pedometer and using it…….I’ve found that carrying one challenges me to walk more.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, there’s no way I can compete with you on the weights you’re using but I am so inspired by what you do that it challenges me to work harder. Today I started doing lunges with one dog on a leash to improve my focus and balance. Lunges raise my heart rate more than squats (yes, I am entertained by my HRM)

:bigsmile: Laura, congrats on your NSV……the way my underwear fit was my first evidence that my new eating plan was working. No one knew but me, but it energized me to keep going.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Jaks, Paisley is adorable, congratulations to all of you.

:flowerforyou: Sarah and anyone else in a short term funk, just start over and don’t waste any energy beating yourself up…..keep on keeping on.

:bigsmile: We had a potluck to go to this evening so I made coleslaw, ate my regular dinner at home before I went and enjoyed my time talking to all my friends. That works well for me and I always have a great time.

:heart: :heart: Hugs to all of you my wonderful, inspiring friends.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where it has been alternating rainy and sunny all day.
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Whew there you all are lol. I am not very good at this social networking thing I did not see a new thread had started and was just checking in on the old one wondering why no one was posting haha Oh well so Im a bit slow I am still glad I found you all again I missed all the posts and chatting with everyone. I am still at it, Chris is finding new ways to torture me and I still have know idea what I weigh but I feel great. Yesterday he made me do 50 push ups I told him he was out of his flipping mind but he just smiled at me and said get your mind right you got this and I'll be darned if I didn't do 50 pushups so now I am beginning to figure out alot of this is just mental don't get me wrong it was so hard and I didn't know if I was going to make it but I was gonna get my mind right and give it all I had so thats my new montra get your mind right Fitz and just do it. Thanks for letting me share and thanks for all the advice, help, and encouragement, I love this website

:flowerforyou: Jaks Congrats on Paisley what a beautiful name for a beautiful baby

:smile: SallCC hang in with the back pain I know haw you feel had back surgery in 96 Ice was my best friend that and mild strecthes good luck to you nothing worse than back pain its super frustrating
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello my friends and welcome to the new ladies and the new babies! Congratulations!!

I am still battling this cold which now seems to have settled in on my chest ... ugh! I think I may need to drop in to see my gp next week if it's not better.

We were supposed to be going off to the Isle of Wight for the weekend but had to cancel so I am working at the gallery today instead. It's a chilly day in London and I'm sitting at my desk sipping hot blackcurrant juice and wadding up tissues. DH is two flights up from me and wants me to do some cataloguing for the website. A tedious job, but at least it will keep me occupied. There are not that many people around the centre of London at present, but I'm sure it will be busier later in the day and I have a guy coming in to look at a £27k atlas this afternoon. I really hope he buys it - my commission on it would be lovely and I've already got my eye on a new handbag to spend it on!

Better do some work and run some stairs now.

Have a great weekend my lovelies.

Love to all
    Amanda x
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Jaks: Congratulations on the darling grand baby...they are the BEST!:love:

SallyCC: SO sorry you are feeling down. Glad to see you here though and keep in touch please:flowerforyou:

Amanda: Hope the cold gets better or your doctor gives you something to help. Take care:flowerforyou:

Michele: It does seem like I was just heading out here...time has flown by! Your daily activities leave my head spinning. You are a busy lady!

Barbie: I use my HRM the same way that you do and I appreciate your motivation in getting one. It is an awesome tool and I can't believe I was so reluctant to get one. I love to see how much my body still works after a long period of exercise and continues to burn calories. That is motivation for sure!

Off and running today. Take care, Dear Ladies!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    An automatic update just wiped out my post. :cry:

I was so proud of myself for getting on and reading the past page of posts and writing a reply. Now, my spare time is gone and I have to go find a cooler to bring snacks to my DD's soccer game. I don't understand why NO ONE be me can find a big purple cooler in an otherwise drabe garage.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Jeannie
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Yay! Sold the atlas .... the commission (and therefore the new handbag!) will be mine!

x
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good rainy morning! :flowerforyou:

April (and March) showers bring May flowers, right. Promised myself I wouldn't get involved with complaining about the weather this year. I mean, what good does it do. That being said, I'm up and rolling, feeling on top of it and ready to face the day. I've just completed 40 pile squats, warming up the lower bod. Thanks for the links, Barbie, it does help seeing how the moves are done.

Thinking I'll gear-up and go jog/walk a couple miles on the track this morning. Then again I could do aerobics indoors since I'll be out walking doggies later on. In my day somewhere I'll have to sit for an hour or two and get some work done on the beaded bag I'm making for my niece. Oh, and I simply must research some new recipes! Will be going out this evening for a game of cards and a pint of stout. I said "a" pint, didn't I. :bigsmile:

Have a real happy Sat everyone. It's sunny somewhere. :wink:
    jb
  • dlpappas
    dlpappas Posts: 14
    Options
    Happy Saturday!

I'm having the same problem as Jam0525. This is the 3rd time I've tried this so I'm keeping it short.

You all have kept me so motivated that I lost 2 lbs at my first weigh-in! Thank you:flowerforyou:

The only thing that will move on my body right now are my fingers! I just finished Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred DVD - level 1 and thought I was going to die! It was the longest 20-mins of my life. My goal is to get to the modified version of everything :laugh:

Barbie, you're amazing - 17000 steps a day plus all the other things you do. Thanks for the tips on exercise, etc.
    Amanda, i hope you feel better.
    Jaks, congrats on the new grandbaby!
    I'd say more but I'm afraid this computer will kick me out again.

So this is the end of the month an I guess a new thread starts tomorrow. I can't find the post that explained what will happen tomorrow. Could someone repost to remind us newbies? Thanks!

Have a wonderful weekend Ladies.
    Diane
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: "tomorrow" is a relative term :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: it will be tomorrow for Amanda in London a lot sooner that it will be for all of us in the Pacific Northwest.

:flowerforyou: at my bedtime (about 8 PM PDT) I will start the new thread and let you know with a post and the link at the bottom of this thread.......so if you log on to the March thread, just read the posts the way you always do and when you get to the bottom of the page, you'll see a post from me telling you how to find the new thread........don't start to reply until you've read all the posts
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday, I have had Trevor Since Thursday and today mom dad and baby sister left the hospital. Met them at hospital and unloaded big brother. Time for them to bond as a family of 4 now as Trevor says. Went to look for stronger women stay young can't find it. Wanted to look at it before I bought it. Went to grocery store got things to get back on track, will pick up Trevor tomorrow and take him to toys r us to pick up the toys Grammie bought for him today. i can't help but spoil him, and will I am sure spoil his sister as well. Off to drink more water, and I bought resistance bands yesterday need to get working on it.

Sherry
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 116
    Options
    After a week of being in a funk, not going to the gym and making some not so great food choices, today I went to a yoga class, did some weight training and then rode my bike for an hour this afternoon. I have a delicious chicken curry bubbling on the stove and made some kick *kitten* spicy eggplant. I got my mojo back!! :smile:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Awesome news I got tonite.My son and daughter in law were over for dinner.They gave my husband a wrapped box.In it were shirts that said I`m a proud grandma of 4.I had to think a minute,before I got it.baby due in Oct.
    How exciting!!
    Have a good week-end!!
    HUGS
    jane
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,370 Member
    Options
    barbie - I remember a few years ago I had a stress test. One of the nurses administering it was really shocked at how fast my heartrate came down! I've gotten to the point right now where I can pretty well tell if my heartrate is too high or not, except when I'm in a spin class. I find that when I'm in a spin class, my heartrate goes up when I stand up versus sitting in the seat. Which makes sense, it takes more work for the heart to pump the blood from a standing position.

There was a segment on Dr. Oz recently where he talked about "bulking up" foods by adding veges. Makes lots of sense. So I tried it last night. Had shirataki noodles (I really like them) but added asparagus and mushrooms to them. Not bad at all, and quite filling.

fitz - we're glad you found us, too. Every month there is a new thread, so I'll be looking for ya!. Good job on the pushups! I'm constantly amazed at how much my body will do that I never thought it could

Amanda - big congrats on that sale!

Went to an hour of yoga today, then came home and made the cookies for the ginger lemon whoopie pies but the dough needs to be refrigerated. So while it was cooling, we went to this fundraiser, got my car washed. There are three students battling cancer in this one school (one of the kid's mother is battling breast cancer), so they had a fundraiser for them. We got all 3 cars washed. Admitted, I think I probably do a better job myself, but it was for a good cause and at least now I'm driving a fairly clean (on the outside) car. Stopped at WalMart then came home and baked and assembled these ginger lemon whoppie pies. Actually, they aren't bad. I'm going to try to get my bangs trimmed this week, and I usually take something to the hairdresser. So I'll take her some and probably give some to the bowling alley. Didn't realize the time and almost misssed church. The church is having a fish fry (not the church one I went to a few weeks ago, but my church), and I asked what they are serving. Everything is fried, but they do have some broiled fish. Hush puppies, the only vege is french fries. I think I'm going to have to skip that. I know that all that fried food just doesn't sit well with me and I honestly can't see spending money knowing that I'm not going to feel good afterwards. Will do an hour of balance games on the Wii tomorrow.

scompton - glad you got your mojo back! I knew you could do it!

Jane - congrats grandma!

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
    who has a hankering for a grapefruit -- weird, huh?
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Awesome news I got tonite.My son and daughter in law were over for dinner.They gave my husband a wrapped box.In it were shirts that said I`m a proud grandma of 4.I had to think a minute,before I got it.baby due in Oct.
    How exciting!!
    Have a good week-end!!
    HUGS
    jane
    What a cool way to announce it--congrats!
    Our DD announced their second one by serving a cake with 2 pacifiers on it (they had an 11 mo. old at the time). It didn't take long for the 4 grandparents to realize what the cake meant.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

It is nearing my bedtime so I've posted the new thread for April

Here is the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/546968-women-ages-50-for-april-2012?page=1#posts-7677660