CEREAL!!!

Options
Hey everyone just wanted to post a topic on the amount of SUGAR and soooooooooo many calories in CEREAL!!!!

I was eating a bowl of Alpen 'light' (blue box with no added sugar) nearly every morning for breakfast and its nearly 500 calories for 100g or something silly! That basically KILLS my calories and i have to be soooooo careful for the rest of the day! Its a bowl of CEREAL why is there SO many calories its ridiculous!

Can anyone offer a tasty alternative?!?!?!? - im reverting back to protein shakes for breakfast for now and porridge tastes horrible to me (i usually have with sweetners and water and leave half the bowl YUK)

Replies

• birdieman75
    birdieman75 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When cycling into work I usually have a bowl of Special K with milk which is roughly 187c, pretty bland but you can always add fruit or have with yoghurt.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Cereal is evil :laugh:

I alternate between:

Eggs, scrambled in the microwave with ham, spinach, cheese, tomatoes, whatever I have in the fridge
    Natural yoghurt with fruit or nuts and seeds
    Wholewheat toast with peanut butter.
    Occasionally smoked fish, though it's high in fats, so maybe once a week.

Porridge oats are nice made into proper Bircher muesli: soak a handful of oats overnight in fruit juice (or water) Next morning grate a whole apple into it, add a blod of youghurt and any other nuts or seeds you fancy. Drizzle with honey, or sprionkle with cinnamon.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Oatmeals :-)
    Here is a home-made muesli recipe that would helps you to be filled, and enjoy :
    #1- Nuts : ground aldmonds (around 1 tbsp), dried raisins and abricots (or as you like)
    #2- Coulis (strawberry coulis, blueberry coulis, etc...)
    #3- Liquid swettener (Hermesetas, Stevia, Bio Xylitol)
    #4- Oatmeals (Quaker oats)
    #5- Smashed banana or apple for fun

> ENJOY :glasses:
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Porridge with chocolate protein powder added improves the taste :)
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    100g of cereal is a huge amount. A normal amount is 30g which is a decent sized portion. I don't think it's particularly high calorie for that amount :/
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bircher muesli sounds lovely, I will have to try that one :happy:
  • michael300891
    Options
    Hey everyone just wanted to post a topic on the amount of SUGAR and soooooooooo many calories in CEREAL!!!!

I was eating a bowl of Alpen 'light' (blue box with no added sugar) nearly every morning for breakfast and its nearly 500 calories for 100g or something silly! That basically KILLS my calories and i have to be soooooo careful for the rest of the day! Its a bowl of CEREAL why is there SO many calories its ridiculous!

Can anyone offer a tasty alternative?!?!?!? - im reverting back to protein shakes for breakfast for now and porridge tastes horrible to me (i usually have with sweetners and water and leave half the bowl YUK)

Cereal is such a hidden killer and most people dont realise it. Did you know cornflakes have a higher Glycaemic Index than dark choclate? Yep thats right, if you ate the same number of calories from dark choclate as you would from cornflakes for breakfast it would actually be healthier for you (reduced insulin spikes etc). For an alternative try an Egg on toast - Theres your protein and if you use wholemeal bread its better than cornflakes - just dont bother with any butter. If you have the kcal I would recommend two eggs on two toast - breakfast is important - and hey it contributes to your protein intake to =)

Do not just eat protein for breakfast tho (i.e. just a protein shake) - youve gotta have some carbs

Hope this Helps.

Mike.
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    behind_blue_eyes_83 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to have a nightmare with cereal! Seriously, my boyfriend would dread getting to the cereal aisle in the supermarket, as I'd never know what to choose, and I'd get reaaaally bored with whatever healthy choice I was currently eating. I'm currently so into porridge, which I didn't think I liked. I soak the oats beforehand in a mix of skimmed milk and water, which makes it really creamy. I have it usually with cinnamon, agave nectar, and blueberries - but this week I've had also sometimes plums and apricots. I think I would hate it too with just water and sweeteners, yech.

Pairing fruit and/or greek yoghurt with whatever cereal you choose is a good way to bulk it up without needing to eat so much cereal (if 100g was your serving size). Weekend brekkie is so much fun too - either eggs and granary toast, or blueberry wholemeal pancakes, or I love porridge so much now I sometimes have it instead! I love breakfast now!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of cereal you guys are eating, but a bowl (1cup) of Kashi Go Lean is 140 cals, 30g of carbs (6g sugar and 10g fiber). What you are describing sounds like granola, and more than a serving of it. Cereal is awesome, and what is wrong with sugar anyway? To each his own, but cereal is the ****. I just ate some at like 3am.
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Weigh out 40g of cereal , use a glass of water and 80mls of milk ( you need the calcium for your bones ) to moisten it ...add a sweetner if you can't get used to the taste but add some FRESH fruit , 6 large strawberries , blueberries or banana or whatever. You should use around 300-400 calories on breakfast, its the most important meal of the day , it will set up your metabolism. 100g of cereal for breakfast is wayyyyy too much .
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    porridge/oatmeal can be good its all about how you make it!

I use this and I love it! (reese's oatmeal)

1 cup publix original quick cooking oats (any store brand will do)
    1 tbsp unsweetened nestle cocoa powder
    .5 - 1tsp sweetner (amount and kind Depends on your preference, I use splenda)
    1 Tbsp jif peanut butter with omega 3's ( I am going to switch off with PB2 here soon)

add sweetner and cocoa to the water for the oats and bring to a boil. Add oats and stir remove from heat and let stand a few minutes to absorb liquid and finish cooking.

Put it in a bowl and drop the peanut butter on top it will get nice an melty and yummy in a few minutes. mix lightly into your oats and enjoy!

390 calories and it will keep you full for hours! :)

(Pumpkin pie oatmeal)
    Another variation is to add a 1/4 tsp cinnamon along with the sweetner to the water and cook oats then add a TBSP or so of libbys canned pumpkin.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options
    Cereal is such a hidden killer and most people dont realise it.

Did you really mean this? A KILLER? Cereal? Seriously?

Hypertension is a hidden killer. Cereal? :noway:
  • 09Demelza
    09Demelza Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Porridge is good choice for cereal. 50grams cooked up with 300mls of semi-skimmed milk and 150mls of water takes 10minutes to cook and it's a slow-burn carb so will keep you energised all morning. I don't take sugar, but some do - or a little fruit compote on top is nice - maybe blueberries or pomegranate and raspberry. Use the jumbo whole porridge oats for best slow-burn energy, not quick cook Quaker style. Without sugar/fruit that will be approx 319 (approx - lol :laugh: ) which shouldn't blow your day.
  • addykins1
    addykins1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bircher muesli is so worth the effort in making it. Puffed wheat/corn/kamut are good, then just put fruit or a bit of honey or maple syrup on it to sweeten, its like 60cal a cup so you can go nuts with the toppings :)
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    behind_blue_eyes_83 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Maybe it's a CEREAL KILLER. Buh-boom, tish. Uh, I'll get my coat...
  • michael300891
    Options

No I didnt actually mean this but now im here im going to dive into proving that it can be a killer...

Many people eat cereal with sugar or fruit (Both contain FRUCTOSE (i.e. fruit sugar, table sugar = sucrose made of glucose + fructose). OK so now we know that eating cereal can potentially contain a lot of fructose..

Fructose has been shown to increase risks of developing the "metabolic syndrome" . This is because it causes insulin resistance, increases LDL-cholesterol (the bad one) and is highly corrlerated with increased obesity. Many scientific papers have shown the dangers of fructose (will link if you wish) and some even suggest to actively minimise fruit consumption (taking micronutrients in through other sources such as vitamin tablets).

Obesity and insulin resistance have both been shown to cause increases in blood pressure -

Insulin resistance because Insulin has a vasodilatory effect on blood vessels - This doesnt happen so blood vessels contrict raising blood pressure.

Also Increased Insulin resistance and LDL-cholesterol have both casually been related to increased obesity and all-cause mortality (heart attacks, myocardial infarcation etc).

So there, I absolutely guarantee that someone in the world has died at least partially due to the excessive consumption of cereal containing fructose.

=D
  • BrilliantSugar
    Options
    Porridge! Seriously, it's so versatile... Honey, fruit, syrup, milk, low cal hot choc, you can do so much with it. And it keeps you energised for longer. I find it hard to trust myself with portion control when it comes to cereal (it's a habit that's hung around from my eating disordered days) so I usually buy the box of sachets from the supermarket, that way I know Im not over indulging with huge bowls of it!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options

Maybe it's a CEREAL KILLER. Buh-boom, tish. Uh, I'll get my coat...

I like your corny joke :smile:
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I tend to have weetabix or cinnamon porridge both are really filling and tasty.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Metabolic syndrome

Excess fructose consumption has been hypothesized to be a cause of insulin resistance, obesity,[40] elevated LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, leading to metabolic syndrome.[41] Fructose consumption has been shown to be correlated with obesity,[42][43] especially central obesity, which is thought to be the most dangerous kind of obesity. A study in mice showed that a high fructose intake increases adiposity.[44]

Although all simple sugars have nearly identical chemical formulae, each has distinct chemical properties. This can be illustrated with pure fructose. A journal article reports that, "...fructose given alone increased the blood glucose almost as much as a similar amount of glucose (78% of the glucose-alone area)".[45][46][47][47][48]

One study concluded that fructose "produced significantly higher fasting plasma triacylglycerol values than did the glucose diet in men" and "...if plasma triacylglycerols are a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, then diets high in fructose may be undesirable".[49] Bantle et al. "noted the same effects in a study of 14 healthy volunteers who sequentially ate a high-fructose diet and one almost devoid of the sugar."[50]

Fructose is a reducing sugar, as are all monosaccharides. The spontaneous chemical reaction of simple sugar molecules binding to proteins, known as glycation, is thought to be a significant cause of damage in diabetics. Fructose appears to be equivalent to glucose in this regard and so does not seem to be a better answer for diabetes for this reason alone, save for the smaller quantities required to achieve equivalent sweetness in some foods.[51] This may be an important contribution to senescence and many age-related chronic diseases.[52]

A simple, partial explanation stolen from wikipedia =)