CEREAL!!!

Options

Replies

• flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cereal is a 'killer' for me because 30g is too small a portion for me personally. I end up going for seconds and thirds.
    It also sets me up with a sweet tooth for the day, end up getting cravings for other sugary things.

Have turned to porridge slowly. Didnt like at first but now its become a versatile friend, like others have said, adding banana & hazelnuts or seeds, nuts & raisins etc. Much more filling. Feel healthier too.

Also like a boiled egg in the morning with ryvita or a small slice of homemade wholemeal bread.
    Or scrambled egg with spinach, tomato (and a small bit of cheese) as a treat at weekends
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Heres the best Ill do...

Cereal in overquantity can easily take up a larger than expected portion of your daily calorie intake.

Cereal (just like any other food in the world) has its own set of potentially harmful side affects.

Variation, Consideration and the use of your own CRITICAL THINKING are the only ways forward.

Feel free to rely entirely on your common sense but good luck if you develop any medical conditions (e.g. Diabetes Mellitus) - I just hope the doctor doesnt say "Just rely on your common sense."

^^This combined with your other post retracting the cereal is a killer statement. I'll take it! Thank you. If you want to talk about cholesterol and fructose with a more scientifically sound audience, you should check this thread later tonight. You'll probably have a lot of responses. My primary care physician is a neuroscientist who went to Wake Forest, is published, and still actively engages in research. He tells me to rely on my common sense quite often.
  • michael300891
    Options

^^This combined with your other post retracting the cereal is a killer statement. I'll take it! Thank you. If you want to talk about cholesterol and fructose with a more scientifically sound audience, you should check this thread later tonight. You'll probably have a lot of responses. My primary care physician is a neuroscientist who went to Wake Forest, is published, and still actively engages in research. He tells me to rely on my common sense quite often.

He tells you to rely on your common sense. He isnt relying on his common sense to treat you, hes relying on scientific research and inferential statistics (That he helps to conduct).

I just got around to reading melanie cheeks article posted above. Its a very good and accurate read in plain english that makes my point a lot clearer than I have. Feel free to disregard anything I say but I strongly encourage you to read this article and maybe youll begin to understand the point.

My trainer linked to this article this week on his Facebook page:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242214-Cereal-Scandal-A-Britain-Consumer-Expert-Reveals-Truth-About-Sugar-and-Fat

Cereal has its place - but it's not the super-healthy breakfast that it claims to be.
  • Jodieh75
    Jodieh75 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    [
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options
    OP- I hope I answered your question. There are different cereals and you may find one you like with lower cals/sugar. I am sorry if I am thread hijacking, but this topic and the responses are a fun diversion from work.
  • orchidsand
    Options
    When I go shopping for cereal I read each label looking for those with sugar. I have found that Cheerios and Special K have the lowest sugar. When I set up breakfast I have lots of fruit, 1/2 serving of cereal & my homemade granola, then top it off with lots of berries (what ever I can find in season). I have also switched to Silk unsweetened soy milk (found the regular milk has more sugar than I want), and then I am good to go until noon. This combination works great for me & I love it!!! I could eat it 3 meals a day.
  • orchidsand
    Options
    I love cereal but I've found recently it just doesn't fill me up enough in the mornings anymore. Since I've switched to porridge I manage to feel so much fuller for longer. I used to eat Special K and I loved but it didn't fill me up for long at all and the "serving suggestion" of 30g I just found was never enough. Now I enjoy a big bowl of porridge with mashed in and also chopped banana in the mornings.
    Cereal by itself will not fill you up. I add my homemade granola (oats, nuts & seeds) and that way I can control the calories, but find that it fills me and holds of the hungries until noon.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Assuming you want a cold cereal--all will be pretty comparable to what you're already eating--maybe a but lower @100 calories per oz so a bit less than 400 for 100g

I like kashi cereals--go lean, honey sunshine, and heart to heart

You'll need to be careful of portion sizes with ANY cereal though.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options

He tells you to rely on your common sense. He isnt relying on his common sense to treat you, hes relying on scientific research and inferential statistics (That he helps to conduct).

I just got around to reading melanie cheeks article posted above. Its a very good and accurate read in plain english that makes my point a lot clearer than I have. Feel free to disregard anything I say but I strongly encourage you to read this article and maybe youll begin to understand the point.

My trainer linked to this article this week on his Facebook page:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/242214-Cereal-Scandal-A-Britain-Consumer-Expert-Reveals-Truth-About-Sugar-and-Fat

Cereal has its place - but it's not the super-healthy breakfast that it claims to be.

Mike, you can totally ignore me. I am just here to be the voice of reason telling people to ask themselves if they *really* believe cereal is dangerous. You are also making me giggle a little. You should not discount science, but you should use your common sense. I think you agree with me but you don't want to admit it. Come on, it will only hurt for a minute. Anything in excess can be problematic for a healthy, calorie conscious diet. If cereal is a killer, so are bananas, corn, apples, grapes, turkey, etc. There are a lot of ridiculous posts in the forum that actually say this too. I don't want to see you, at 20 years old, while still a student, get this insanity permanently etched in your brain.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options
    Assuming you want a cold cereal--all will be pretty comparable to what you're already eating--maybe a but lower @100 calories per oz so a bit less than 400 for 100g

I like kashi cereals--go lean, honey sunshine, and heart to heart

You'll need to be careful of portion sizes with ANY cereal though.

Agreed.
  • DRees10
    DRees10 Posts: 16
    Options
    I enjoy 2 wheat biscuits with 125ml of skimmed milk and 1 tsp of sugar - 205 cals. Was having a protien shake but looking to cut down on sugar so this does the job.
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    I found a kashi cereal that only has 80 calories per serving, honey crisps or something like that. I don't eat a ton of cereal bc it doesn't fill me up, but this cereal was good, I had it as a snack sometimes. Good luck!!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Coco Pebbles Rule
  • michael300891
    Options

Mike, you can totally ignore me. I am just here to be the voice of reason telling people to ask themselves if they *really* believe cereal is dangerous. You are also making me giggle a little. You should not discount science, but you should use your common sense. I think you agree with me but you don't want to admit it. Come on, it will only hurt for a minute. Anything in excess can be problematic for a healthy, calorie conscious diet. If cereal is a killer, so are bananas, corn, apples, grapes, turkey, etc. There are a lot of ridiculous posts in the forum that actually say this too. I don't want to see you, at 20 years old, while still a student, get this insanity permanently etched in your brain.

The only thing I have agreed with you on is this...

OP- I hope I answered your question. There are different cereals and you may find one you like with lower cals/sugar. I am sorry if I am thread hijacking, but this topic and the responses are a fun diversion from work.
    Avoiding work is the exact same reason im here haha.

Let me ask you a few questions - Firstly, have you actually bothered to read the article?

Secondly, when you have children (assuming you dont already) - do you really want them to eat whatever a corporation making stacks of money tells you is good for them without actually questioning it?

Your not the voice of reason your the exact opposite.

Your not just disagreeing with me about the cereal thing, your suggesting the entire foundation of research is lies and that we should ignore anything that resembles "science".

Theres an order to things. Scientists discover something, everyone denies it, everyone accepts it, it becomes common sense.

By the time its common sense that cereal containing stacks of sugar can harm you, youll already be dead =)
  • michael300891
    Options
    I dont mean sugar will have killed you by the way, I just mean itll take a long time for it to become common sense.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    When cycling into work I usually have a bowl of Special K with milk which is roughly 187c, pretty bland but you can always add fruit or have with yoghurt.

This is what I have with the exception of using almond milk instead of dairy.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Been eating cereal through this whole weight loss thing.... Use to mix cereal's, used Multigrain Cheerios and chocolate coco pebbles... But a few months back I started eating Kashi Go Lean Crunch (almond/flax one) and mix in some Kellog's double chocolate Crave cereal....... As long as it fits into your calories alotted for the day.... I don't see a problem with cereal, I have managed to lose a little weight eating it......
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Cereal (and oats) are a poor choice of food... full of sugar and carbs for starters and high anti-nutrient content!

Not to mention the effects on insulin first thing in the morning!

If you have to eat them then do it in the evenings.

There are so many more nutrient rich foods you could be having for breakfast which will help weight loss no end!

Give me eggs and bacon over that rubbish anyday!
  • michael300891
    Options

Give me eggs and bacon over that rubbish anyday!

The truest comment I have read in a while.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of cereal you guys are eating, but a bowl (1cup) of Kashi Go Lean is 140 cals, 30g of carbs (6g sugar and 10g fiber). What you are describing sounds like granola, and more than a serving of it. Cereal is awesome, and what is wrong with sugar anyway? To each his own, but cereal is the ****. I just ate some at like 3am.

^^^^ THIS!!! This is what I eat too and Love it! Has the same amount of protein in it as egg