Does the cashier make fun of you?

Options

Replies

• Never happened to me...what part of the country to you live in? I live in California so eating clean is common.

midwest. fried food capital.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Tell her to go eat a damn twinkie
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Just once, when I bought one baking potato...I'm single so why am I going to buy more than that at one time???

I usually ask, "can you tell that I'm single?"
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Never had that happen before.

If I were you I would've complained to the store manager about them, because that's really rude!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i prolly would have told the store manager about the attitude of the cashier. who does she think she is to judge you on the food you eat???

this!

was the cashier fat by any chance?!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a couple ..."Wow, you guys eat healthy! My diet starts tomorrow" comments...
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    i prolly would have told the store manager about the attitude of the cashier. who does she think she is to judge you on the food you eat???

^^ this
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I only ever have issues with them not knowing the code for the produce I purchase. Or even what it is. Especially ginger root! I didn't realize so few people buy it. Shame, since it's delicious!

^ Exact same experience with GINGER.
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 320
    Options
    When I was a bit bigger this cashier at Tescos did pass some snide remarks about the amount of fruits I bought ; I guess two years later the joke's on her...
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Next time snark back I would have said "No I'm not going to eat it I am going to put it in my fridge and just stare at it. I'm heading to McDonalds after this, do you need something?"
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Just ignore what other people say about what you eat, everyone makes their own choices about everything including their diet. If you are happy with what you are eating now and it's working for you then I don't see how a comment like that should affect you in any way.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time. Midwest also.

Or 'I could NEVER eat like that!' / 'Isn't it hard eating 'like that'?!' Um, no...it's all about CHOICES. You choose the behavior (or food), you choose the consequence.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    wow lol some people!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    No...lol

Tell the girl to stuff it...
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I would have got the manager over and then told him/her about the cashier, and said he/she cost them a sale, and possibly more in the future, and leave.

If it's the only grocery store you have access to, then that won't work for you, of course.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Peeps crack me up "complain to the manager" "get her fire" ect ect have a pair and tell her to mind her own f'n biz, and have a great day.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Often the cashier and I will discuss certain items, recipes, etc. Frequently they'll comment very positively about my selection of fresh foods.... I have never had the opposite experience. My son is a manager at a large grocery store, I'm sure he'd jump on any cashiers who were rude or judgmental to customers.

Of course, there is usually a humorous way to deflect a potentially negative comment, realizing that the speaker may not mean to be coming across as critical. We, as a society, are too quick to be offended and find fault.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I have gotten it about a MILLION times. The grocery store closest to my house is a Fiesta store (not sure if they have those everywhere) and the part of town I live in is predominately large Hispanic families. The average grocery cart at that store consists of extremely large quantities of fatty meats, chips, white bread, sodas, etc. Lot of fresh fruits and veggies too, but a LOT of not so good for you stuff. The women in these large Hispanic families make amazing delicious homemade Mexican food for their families---not exactly nutritious, but SO DAMN GOOD (my boyfriend is Hispanic and I make excuses to go to his mom's house for dinner---nobody can cook like that woman). But anyway, generally not a lot of calorie counters in my particular part of town, so when I go through the check out line with my super health food and gluten free this or that, I get quite a few strange looks. I've gotten the "wow...all this is so...healthy" and "aren't you hungry all the time eating like that?" Or my favorite "What IS that?"--usually pertaining to a gluten free item.

Fortunately, once I explain my food choices, often times the cashiers will say "Oh wow, cool, I should try that" or something to that effect. I always try to educate others about my food choices if they have questions or comments :)
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    You know, I always shop at the same store and even before I started losing weight my purchases were always from the outer edge of the store with very few items of canned goods, soda or chips -- like a lot of people, generally the only questions I get are "that looks interesting, how do you cook it" or "does that (turkey/vegetarian" product taste good?" Never any judgement though.

I did however have a guy that was in line behind me at wal-mart last week tell me he was going home with me because he couldn't afford to eat "all those fresh vegetables, fruits and meats" mind you, the conveyor behind me was stacked with a large assortment of processed foods that most certainly cost more than the $120 I spent to feed my family of three for the next two weeks.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol. that's funny, I just shake my head at people. one cashier asked me in that yogurt helped me lose weight

first I was like :grumble:

then I was like :laugh:

after that :noway:

yeah it's the yogurt, ma'am, that and exercise, and the entire diet