Does the cashier make fun of you?

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Midwest...there's the problem. I'm in rural Indiana...a challenge to find anything organic...impossible to afford if you do. Usually, I have the problem of the cashier not knowing what the produce even is. Haven't had them make fun of me though. That's just nuts!

I am in rural Southern Illinois and I have no problems finding organic and affordable food. I am less than 2 hours away from Evansville, IN and it is not hard to find these things.
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    I have never had it happen to me, but I live in SoCal, where healthy eating is the norm AND ever since I joined MFP I have been shopping at the local grocery store chains that cater to a more healthy lifestyle (I love Sprouts and Fresh and Easy!) I'm guessing it's just the area you live in. Plus, with it being winter in the rest of the world fresh fruits and veggies are more expensive, therefore cashiers must see less of those purchases. She really should not have been rude though. I would have given her attitude back and put her in her place or reported her to her manager. What grocery store chain was it?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I shop at Trader Joe's, so no, no one makes fun of the healthy foods I buy. Well, my husband sometimes makes fun the amount of fresh produce I buy, but that's because he's usually surprised that all of that goes into the food we eat.
  • Mellocare
    Mellocare Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had somebody pull a face years ago when I bought a box of donuts. But I've never gotten bad reactions from buying healthy stuff. In fact, I've had someone ask me about the almond milk because she wondered if it was really a good substitute. :)
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    maybe she doesn't like fruits and veggies?
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK but Hubbie worked in Atlanta for a while so we lived there. I was at my biggest (110kg) and while shopping in Walmart a woman who stocks the shelf criticised me for handling workout clothes when "look at you.....it's obvious you're not going to buy them". I was really shocked and walked off to burst into tears. Hubbie found me upset and went mad and demanded the manager.
    Now THAT is aweful!
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Really?? :noway:

This seems like an odd way to toot your own horn about your good food choices.

Exactly what I thought when I read this.
  • Laceypalooza
    Options
    I do have one pet peeve. (Only mentioning because of someone else's comment.) It's leaky meat. I don't care if you want to buy the whole store's supply of meat, that doesn't bother me. It's when a customer brings up a packet of chicken meat that isn't completely sealed and its juices are getting all over everything. I mean *everything*. There will be a puddle of raw juice on my belt, scanner, and half their food. That's just not sanitary and I can't help but make a face and do the dainty two finger pick-up. Maybe I'm being wimpy but we have plastic bags right next to the meat for this purpose.
    I couldn't agree more. I had a man come through and his order was big, he had lots of red meat, and it was leaky. leaked alllll over more than half his stuff. But I called back to the meat department and told them to wrap their stuff better, because it was clearly not wrapped well. I had to stop the next customer from putting their stuff on the belt so I could clean it, which held up my line, but it had to be done. Usually when handling meat, I grab a plastic bag and put my hands inside, grab the meat and scan it, and then send it down the belt already in a bag. Its easier for me and my bagger.

EDIT: Not blaming the man buying the meat :), just thought the meat department could have wrapped it better, ^_^
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I was at the grocery store and had my usual assortment of the best foods I could find this time of year, and the cashier made fun of me because I had too many fruits, veggies, and whole grains. She said "You aren't really going to eat this stuff are you?" and when I said of course I am , she preceded to sneer and give me dirty looks. This happen to anyone else?

An appropriate response would be 'I've been trying to quit, but meeting these life goals takes time and a LOT of determination. After I fix my food problems though I hope to quit my job and fulfill my dream of becoming a cashier at this supermarket'

EDIT: I should add I have nothing against folks who work at supermarkets. It's just if someone's going to be an *** to me I'll do the same.

The only times I get comments is when I do a yogurt run. But then the surprise is kind of expected when you're buying 30-40 lbs of yogurt and not a whole lot else.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Find a new place to shop (if possible); no need to make food shopping a poor experience, it can be fun when you find new things and don't get attitude! I love shopping at Whole Foods; check them out if they are in your area! http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/

Whole Foods is not in that area. Neither is Trader Joes.

She has Wal-Mart and Kroger at her disposal..............I am very familiar with the town she lives in.......

She does have a Coop to shop at in a nearby town which is 1,000,000 better than shopping at whole paycheck.
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The cashier sounds like a real *****! Report her *kitten* for her rude high and mighty attitude. So we're supposed to be fat *kitten* and buy crap at the store like pop and chips? What a dumbass. She probably has horrible eating habits because why else would she criticize someone for eating right?
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Nope. When the cashiers at my local store see me they ask me about when my next race is and tell me how good I look and ask to feel my muscles and spank my *kitten*.
  • JeanetteDee
    JeanetteDee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    this happens to me all the time!! so annoying!!
  • ackersb
    ackersb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good for you for buying so many healthy foods! Perhaps she wished she had that strength. Next time tell her to join myfitnesspal!

: ) Keep up the good work!

Becky
  • ctkennedy
    ctkennedy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just buy cucumbers and condoms next time and see what happens.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    no, they only pick on me because of my coupons. :laugh:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I had a cashier comment on how I must love to cook once, when I way buying pretty much nothing but raw foods and macros. No one has ever made fun of my though. I would have reported her to her manager.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've had a cashier ask about items in my order before, but usually because s/he hadn't tried them and was curious. I've never had anyone openly judge my purchases, that's just poor customer service and will likely come back to bite the person in the *kitten* eventually.

Ditto. They usually ask me what something is, and how I prepare it. It's just out of curiosity because they are unfamiliar with the item. Sometimes I get comments about how healthy the items are, but again nothing snide about it.

me too -- they might comment that "it looks like you're planning some baking", but that's as lose to criticism as I have ever experienced
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I was at the grocery store and had my usual assortment of the best foods I could find this time of year, and the cashier made fun of me because I had too many fruits, veggies, and whole grains. She said "You aren't really going to eat this stuff are you?" and when I said of course I am , she preceded to sneer and give me dirty looks. This happen to anyone else?

In all the years ive worked in retail as both a cashier and a manager I have never seen this happen,trippy
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Midwest here and happends a lot. Just last week someone asked me what I was going to do with "that!" (swiss chard). I happily replied I was going to drink it in my smoothie! Ha! Silence followed........

My father in law decided to get into the smoothie thing trying to eat healthier about a month ago. His first "smoothie" was ice cream, milk and cookies! We kindly informed him that to the rest of the world that is not a smoothie but a milkshake!