Thanks!
  • Amor1516
    Amor1516 Posts: 19
    Options
    bump
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Yeay for this post....and using the very first post to figure it out, I've worn a body media fit for months on end so I know that on average I burn 2400 calories per day.

2400x7=16800 (sometimes I'm one of those people :))
    16800-3500 = 13300
    13300/7= 1900 calories per day rain or shine exercise or not. (the 2400 cals per day is exercising on average 3-4 times per week for 30-45 minutes a day either doing kettlebell or walk/run intervals)

For anyone just finding this thread - here are my stats in case you are thinking maybe you aren't eating enough... I weigh 213 and am 5' 4.5", 34 years old.

I'm going to lower by cals to 1900 and try it for a week and see what it gets me when I weigh in next week..and come back here to post. I may need help if I don't see the scale move in time.

THANKS!!
  • lokin4deer
    lokin4deer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    BUMP.
  • 69Greer
    69Greer Posts: 36
    Options
    The most informative thread I have read on MFP since I began. Thanks
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i think the way MFP sets up weight loss for the beginner is atrocious. Eating back poorly estimated exercise calories and setting most peoples daily calorie goal below BMR is terrible. No wonder 1/3 posts on this site is about stalling out. People leave themselves no where to go. Most of them exercise 5 times a week so its tough to add another day of exercise, and you sure as hell can reduce their calories anymore.

Yess! This is exactly what is happening to me! I started out at 1200, working out 5-6 days a week and its slowed wayyyy down. I have started doing more strength training and the inches are coming off a bit but Im still at least 20 lbs away from a healthy weight. I recently calculated my BMR at 1417 and TDEE at 1296 but im not sure where to go from there!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    totally reading this later.
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Love it! Definitely what I need to refresh and put things in perspective
  • mamato3babies
    mamato3babies Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks this post was very informative!
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    bump. great info.
  • sweetmspea
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Snubbleup
    Snubbleup Posts: 66
    Options
    Bump
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dypab
    dypab Posts: 19
    Options
    Bookmarking
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    AWESOME post totally favouring this to refer to later hahha
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i think the way MFP sets up weight loss for the beginner is atrocious. Eating back poorly estimated exercise calories and setting most peoples daily calorie goal below BMR is terrible. No wonder 1/3 posts on this site is about stalling out. People leave themselves no where to go. Most of them exercise 5 times a week so its tough to add another day of exercise, and you sure as hell can reduce their calories anymore.

Yess! This is exactly what is happening to me! I started out at 1200, working out 5-6 days a week and its slowed wayyyy down. I have started doing more strength training and the inches are coming off a bit but Im still at least 20 lbs away from a healthy weight. I recently calculated my BMR at 1417 and TDEE at 1296 but im not sure where to go from there!

If your BMRis 1417 your TDEE will be much much higher than 1296 (it cannot be below BMR as TDEE is calculated using BMR and multiplying it by a factor depending on how much you workout)

If you workout 5-6 days/week that multiplier should be in the rang of 1.55 or higher. At 1.55 that would give you 2196 (most likely that is what you meant to put in but reversed the 1 and 2) so depending on how much you have to lose and your BF% you should eat anywhere from 80-90% of TDEE (the less you have to lose the more of your TDEE you want to eat).

For you this would be 1757 to 1976 calories to lose weight. If you set your goal up like this you eat this amount everyday, and don't eat exercise calories back. what MFP does is give you less cals on days you don't workout and more on days you do, but for the week your net cals would be about the same give or take a couple hundred.