Bump...and thanks good post:flowerforyou:
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i think the way MFP sets up weight loss for the beginner is atrocious. Eating back poorly estimated exercise calories and setting most peoples daily calorie goal below BMR is terrible. No wonder 1/3 posts on this site is about stalling out. People leave themselves no where to go. Most of them exercise 5 times a week so its tough to add another day of exercise, and you sure as hell can reduce their calories anymore.

Yess! This is exactly what is happening to me! I started out at 1200, working out 5-6 days a week and its slowed wayyyy down. I have started doing more strength training and the inches are coming off a bit but Im still at least 20 lbs away from a healthy weight. I recently calculated my BMR at 1417 and TDEE at 1296 but im not sure where to go from there!

If your BMRis 1417 your TDEE will be much much higher than 1296 (it cannot be below BMR as TDEE is calculated using BMR and multiplying it by a factor depending on how much you workout)

If you workout 5-6 days/week that multiplier should be in the rang of 1.55 or higher. At 1.55 that would give you 2196 (most likely that is what you meant to put in but reversed the 1 and 2) so depending on how much you have to lose and your BF% you should eat anywhere from 80-90% of TDEE (the less you have to lose the more of your TDEE you want to eat).

For you this would be 1757 to 1976 calories to lose weight. If you set your goal up like this you eat this amount everyday, and don't eat exercise calories back. what MFP does is give you less cals on days you don't workout and more on days you do, but for the week your net cals would be about the same give or take a couple hundred.

haha yea sorry typo its 2196
  • glissongal
    glissongal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am so intrigued by this! I am definitely looking more into this. :) Thanks for the information.
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i think the way MFP sets up weight loss for the beginner is atrocious. Eating back poorly estimated exercise calories and setting most peoples daily calorie goal below BMR is terrible. No wonder 1/3 posts on this site is about stalling out. People leave themselves no where to go. Most of them exercise 5 times a week so its tough to add another day of exercise, and you sure as hell can reduce their calories anymore.

Yess! This is exactly what is happening to me! I started out at 1200, working out 5-6 days a week and its slowed wayyyy down. I have started doing more strength training and the inches are coming off a bit but Im still at least 20 lbs away from a healthy weight. I recently calculated my BMR at 1417 and TDEE at 1296 but im not sure where to go from there!

If your BMRis 1417 your TDEE will be much much higher than 1296 (it cannot be below BMR as TDEE is calculated using BMR and multiplying it by a factor depending on how much you workout)

If you workout 5-6 days/week that multiplier should be in the rang of 1.55 or higher. At 1.55 that would give you 2196 (most likely that is what you meant to put in but reversed the 1 and 2) so depending on how much you have to lose and your BF% you should eat anywhere from 80-90% of TDEE (the less you have to lose the more of your TDEE you want to eat).

For you this would be 1757 to 1976 calories to lose weight. If you set your goal up like this you eat this amount everyday, and don't eat exercise calories back. what MFP does is give you less cals on days you don't workout and more on days you do, but for the week your net cals would be about the same give or take a couple hundred.

thanks! this is helpful. my body fat percentage is 25.8 %. That seems like so many calories to eat though! I am only 5'1"!
  • maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    When dieting and either trying to lose weight or even gain weight if you are bulking, the most important aspect of your plan is knowing your TDEE. You cannot proceed forward and make progress for the long term without knowing what this is, how to obtain it, and what to do with it.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expedenture

TDEE is basically how many calories you burn in a 24 hour period. This is all of your activity including exercises, eating, sleeping, driving a car and yelling at stupid drivers on the highway...whatever it is. If you're doing something, you're burning calories. In all actuality even if you're just sitting down at a desk you're still burning, just not as much.

In order to avoid making this thread a TL;DR thread, I'll be quick and simple. (no snide comments please and you know who you are)

Example to lose weight:

Take a weekly average of your TDEE. Let's pretend you use a Bodymedia FIT and you burn 3000 calories on your workout days (5 days a week), and 2500 calories on your rest days (2 days a week). This would be a weekly average of 20,000 calories for the week.

For the mathematically challenged that's: 3000x5 = 15,000 and 2500x2 = 5000 which equals 20,000. (Yes I really had to break this down for some people)

Moving on....

You are burning 20,000 calories per week. This is your WEEKLY TDEE. Let's pretend you want to lose 1lb a week. Since 1lb is 3,500 calories then you do the math (again):

20,000 - 3,500 = 16,500

This means that you need to eat 16,500 calories PER WEEK in order to lose 1lb for that week. If you are really bored and just don't care, you could technically eat 16,500 calories in ONE DAY and not eat anything the rest of the week and still lose 1lb although you will be completely miserable and you'd probably end up extremely sick if not comatose...but anyways.

Normal people will break this down to eating roughly 2350 calories per day and they will still lose 1lb a week. In order to minimize muscle loss you will need to eat approximately 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, or if you don't know what that is, you can just use bodyweight. Also, you need to do some sort of resistance weight training and lift heavy to minimize muscle loss as well.

As I typed this, I realized it's not as "short" as I wanted it to be, but I figured I'm making a comeback on the forums so ..... =)

Anyways, take this explanation for what it's worth and above all, you don't need any "diet pills" to lose weight.

Stay disciplined, stick to your plan, make sure you document your food and the weight will come off.

Peace.

Thanks!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

thanks! this is helpful. my body fat percentage is 25.8 %. That seems like so many calories to eat though! I am only 5'1"!

it may seem like a lot but if you MFP goal was say 1350, it would be like eating that and eating back cals you burn from exercis if you average a 500 cal burn 5 days/week.

If you are not losing at the pace you should be it is possible that your activity level is overestimated and that maybe it should be 1.375X BMR which would be 1948 which would have you eat 1558 to 1753 to lose weight (80-90% of TDEE) You may need trial and error to see where you fit in the 1558 to 1976 range. No measure is perfect as calories expended vary from week to week and day to day.
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    Thank you for the link ! I had not seen that before and it's so much help
  • Littlerunner0514
    Littlerunner0514 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thank you for this. I have been trying to understand this whole thing. MFP told me i should only eat 1200 calories on non workout days and almost 2000 on workout days..that was too extreme. this is all helping a lot.
  • stevenc78
    Options
    bump
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    Bump
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

Or what I suggest is everyone out there educate themselves on how to calculate your TDEE and Macronutrients the manual way. This is the best write up I've seen on how to do it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

I love that tool - http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

great :)
  • vickystrand1
    vickystrand1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Or what I suggest is everyone out there educate themselves on how to calculate your TDEE and Macronutrients the manual way. This is the best write up I've seen on how to do it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

I love that tool - http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

great :)

Can someone explain this link to me?

I looked at it, entered my data, and it confused me? What exactly does the "spread sheet" looking area supposed to tell me?
    I see it's called a "fasting calculator" HELP!!!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Cant agree more with this - Discovering yor TDEE has to be the first step you take when you start this process. Just posted similar on a different thread.

MFP is a great tracking tool, and for some people the numbers it spits out for losses are perfect to enable them to lose fat healthily. BUt it is just a calculator, not a doctor or nutritionist, and it does not know your individual metabolism.

For me, when I first started it gave me 1200 calories to lose 1lb per week. I did not question it, I just went with it as I didn't know any better.

Then after a few weeks I was feeling lightheaded and dizzy, feeling cold, and discovered those were signs of undereating. I sought advice from MFP friends, increased my goal to 1600, (TDEE - 20%) and have lost steadily every week since then.

I actually think I am sedentary, but that MFP setting gives me too low an allowance. It is actually impossible for MFP to give me an allowance of 1600 to lose 1lb a week, even when I chose the most active setting it gives me 1580.

I was a bit shocked at the 1600, but I decided to give it a go, and reduce if it didn't work, but thankfully it is working perfectly.

You just need to find your own sweet spot. For most people that will be a moderate deficit from your TDEE.
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great post!!
  • fruitful9
    fruitful9 Posts: 32
    Options
    Bump....thanks for info
  • Rennae9
    Rennae9 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump