Replies

• joeyt1959
    joeyt1959 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Yes......as long as you can fit it in your calories it is a good idea......It helps to preserve lean mass while in a caloric defecit.

that one and also this one on the same site: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/calorie-calculator.html

those two and the other one someone posted a few posts back all have me at about 2100 for normal TDEE.... so i think i'm going to up my daily calories to about 1600 a day and not count my exercise calories (since i included them this time around in those calculators)... and see what that does for me.

HOWEVER - i am not doing weights - i run 3 days a week, and i do 30 Day Shred Daily right now... with that said, should I still be getting 1 gram of protein per lb of lean mass?

requoting myself because i was really hoping someone had an answer for me :D

pretty please :D:D:D
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

that one and also this one on the same site: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/calorie-calculator.html

those two and the other one someone posted a few posts back all have me at about 2100 for normal TDEE.... so i think i'm going to up my daily calories to about 1600 a day and not count my exercise calories (since i included them this time around in those calculators)... and see what that does for me.

HOWEVER - i am not doing weights - i run 3 days a week, and i do 30 Day Shred Daily right now... with that said, should I still be getting 1 gram of protein per lb of lean mass?

Short answer is yes. Getting ample protein won't hurt your goals. You might not NEED quite as much as someone who is heavy lifting, but you still need adequate protein and that number is supposed to be a target minimum anyway. I'd still use it as a target if I were you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

[/quote]

During a deficit, it's a good idea to keep protein there.

So since you have the idea of the math down, does that 1600, minus your real 30DS calorie burn, cause you to end up under your BMR on constant basis?

Then that 1600 should be higher.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options

So since you have the idea of the math down, does that 1600, minus your real 30DS calorie burn, cause you to end up under your BMR on constant basis?

Then that 1600 should be higher.

Thanks for the info on the protein. gotta work on that....

Ok, so I'm actually eating 1500 cals daily no matter what I do - whether I exercise or not. If I exercise I do not eat back my exercise calories. If I just do the 30DS, I am only burning 200 cals - so that puts me right at BMR roughly. If I run+30DS, I am burning an additional 300 - 400 cals, bringing my net down to around 1,000. I eat back any calories to brink my net back up past 1,000. But see, on days that I don't workout, I'm actually netting 1500... so it should all balance out. If not I might consider eating back my exercise cals to put me at my BMR net. It's all a test. I am losing inches, but the scale hasn't been budging.

I guess I don't really care so much about the # on the scale as much as I care about the # on my jeans label.
  • emhill21
    emhill21 Posts: 130
    Options
    bump to reference later
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the protein. gotta work on that....

Ok, so I'm actually eating 1500 cals daily no matter what I do - whether I exercise or not. If I exercise I do not eat back my exercise calories. If I just do the 30DS, I am only burning 200 cals - so that puts me right at BMR roughly. If I run+30DS, I am burning an additional 300 - 400 cals, bringing my net down to around 1,000. I eat back any calories to brink my net back up past 1,000. But see, on days that I don't workout, I'm actually netting 1500... so it should all balance out. If not I might consider eating back my exercise cals to put me at my BMR net. It's all a test. I am losing inches, but the scale hasn't been budging.

I guess I don't really care so much about the # on the scale as much as I care about the # on my jeans label.

Good for you, you got the idea down.

And indeed, when you are working out a bit, you'll lose inches, but weight slowly if at all. Especially after switching to this method, and your body has been itching to get better.
    Until - you reach point of enough muscle to support your level of exercise, and then the weight will drop with the fat.
    Or you'll reach the point you realize those extra lbs as muscle is great and fits better anyway!
  • briteyes
    Options
    yay! now if i can just get my sweet hubby to ignore what the scale says! he is expecting me to be at 125 tomorrow, and well, i'm not there, but i'm still losing inches and liking how i look (and feel)!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    yay! now if i can just get my sweet hubby to ignore what the scale says! he is expecting me to be at 125 tomorrow, and well, i'm not there, but i'm still losing inches and liking how i look (and feel)!

Not to pass judgement but I do hope that was a joke (hard to tell in typing). Your husband shouldn't care what the number on the scale says. He should love you for you. It's great that you are making positive changes......but it shouldn't be "expected".
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • briteyes
    Options

Not to pass judgement but I do hope that was a joke (hard to tell in typing). Your husband shouldn't care what the number on the scale says. He should love you for you. It's great that you are making positive changes......but it shouldn't be "expected".

actually, it wasn't a joke. a couple months ago, when I started my diet, he asked me what my goal was. at the time i was 135 and I said, I would like to lose 10 lbs in 2 months (5 lbs a month). The first 5 lbs came off very easily, but now it's all about hard work. Anyways, he went out and bought me something that i've been wanting for a while that costs a pretty penny as motivation/incentive and of course gave it to me right away, with the deal that I would stick to my plan and reach my goals. At the time I did explain to him, even though my goal is to lose 10 lbs, it's not always that cut and dry - he doesn't get it though because he is the guy that struggles to not lose weight. He has a high metabolism + a very physical job (i know because I figured out his TDEE is about 4,000 calories a day!) The guy never stops moving! Anyways, tomorrow marks the 2 mos mark - so I know he's going to want to know if i reached my goal. He is going to assume that just because the scale doesn't say 125, that I didn't reach it - but all of us on here know that it really isn't as simple as a number on a scale, so i hope he realizes that too when he sees how much better I look.

oh and it doesn't really affect how much he loves me - that's a different story - he just likes his eye candy too - but he would love me either way - he is more or less wanting to see my stick to my goals and achieve them
  • debtfre12
    debtfre12 Posts: 203
    Options
    How do I calculate my TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expedenture ? Is there an instrument I can purchase that calculates TDEE? Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanking you ALL ahead of time!

Sincerely,
    Leah (aka debtfre12)
  • scubahsteve69
    scubahsteve69 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How do I calculate my TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expedenture ? Is there an instrument I can purchase that calculates TDEE? Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanking you ALL ahead of time!

Sincerely,
    Leah (aka debtfre12)

Yep...go here http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators.html
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    My Body Media is IN THE MAIL. I can't wait to see what this is! Especially on my 3 class days. I'm mathematically challenged, so thanks for the break down. LOL!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Sys:> sudo get download.info
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    TDGee is everything? Please please don't tell him that!! Oh wait...:tongue:
  • poofycat
    poofycat Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • flibberdajibbitt
    flibberdajibbitt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    TDGee is everything? Please please don't tell him that!! Oh wait...:tongue:

That's what he said......I think that every time, too.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later