TDEE is everything

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later - also hi everyone! I am a newbie to this site although I've been on Calorie King for a long time, this thread is really worrying me but I am trying to keep an open mind!
    You are being worried, that you're learning how to fuel your body correctly?
  • imcountingcalories
    imcountingcalories Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Nessalee77
    Nessalee77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am worried that what I am currently doing is wrong, and may be harmful, at least to my future results if not to my long term health. But with a lot of conflicting info out there it is so difficult to tell what is the right thing to do. I am paralysed by too much information. I have a lot more reading to do!

The TDEE calculator linked on page 7 of this thread is interesting, but if I can eat that many cals and maintain, why did I get so fat in the first place? I need to go back over my old food diarys, enter them in, allow a bit for dishonesty and see if I was really eating that much.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    bumping for later.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The goal of most people is to lose fat while retaining what muscle mass they do have regardless whether you are a man or a woman. Most people want to achieve this. In order to do this, follow the guidelines of knowing your TDEE and eating a calorie deficit while consuming 1g of protein per lb of LBM along with doing some sort of resistance weight training, and lift heavy. This will retain as much lean muscle mass as possible while you burn fat.

Honestly folks, you don't even have to do any cardio. If your diet is 110% in check , your protein in check, and you lift (even using machines instead of free weights...this is enough to achieve your goals with consistency, discipline, and dedication.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I am worried that what I am currently doing is wrong, and may be harmful, at least to my future results if not to my long term health. But with a lot of conflicting info out there it is so difficult to tell what is the right thing to do. I am paralysed by too much information. I have a lot more reading to do!

The TDEE calculator linked on page 7 of this thread is interesting, but if I can eat that many cals and maintain, why did I get so fat in the first place? I need to go back over my old food diarys, enter them in, allow a bit for dishonesty and see if I was really eating that much.

Finding out your TDEE is your first step. As long as you can get roughly 90-95% sure of how many calories you burn in a 24 hour period, the rest is just discipline and consistency.

It takes some time and some patience, but it's very doable.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Bumping to bookmark
  • Nessalee77
    Options
    joejccva71, thanks for replying. Do you think a 500 calorie deficit is appropriate as MFP reccommends?

Cheers,
    Ness
  • lulua123
    lulua123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • joejccva71
    Options
    joejccva71, thanks for replying. Do you think a 500 calorie deficit is appropriate as MFP reccommends?

Cheers,
    Ness

That's fine. That's 1lb per week. Depending on how much weight you have to lose you can get away with eating more of a deficit than 500. 1000 calorie deficit per day will give you a 2lb per week loss. Unless you are obese, I wouldn't go any more than that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

Cheers,
    Ness

That's fine. That's 1lb per week. Depending on how much weight you have to lose you can get away with eating more of a deficit than 500. 1000 calorie deficit per day will give you a 2lb per week loss. Unless you are obese, I wouldn't go any more than that.

Ness only has less than 10kg to lose.....So 500 deficit is the absolute max, Ness - and may be too high. Set your goal to 1/2 pound per week, about a 250 deficit.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Maybe I miscalculated, but instead of finding I need to eat more calories than MFP is recommending, I came up with less - based on my TDEE calculation, which I then used to roughly estimate calories I needed to burn per day to lose 1 lb a week.

Or maybe it's just because I slightly adjusted down the number of calories I expected to burn per day (I'd rather underestimate than overestimate). Anyway, I came up with around 1225 calories/day to lose 1 lb a week, vs the 1550 MFP allocates to me.

This IS scaring me a little, because I'm not really sure I can get enough exercise in to counterbalance what I eat each day... 1225 seems pretty low... especially just starting out after eating probably 2x or more that number of calories each day.

Nonetheless, I'm determined to try my best, because I really can't go on like this... literally... I'm fearful for my health.

I really appreciate all the detailed info!

Edit: Sorry, posted this before reading all the way through the thread... I think now I have a better understanding of why there is such a differential.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump~! and thank you:smile:
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    bumperoonie!
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great info!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Good post Joe. Without knowing TDEE, it's kinda hard to figure out if you're at the right calorie deficit and this is why many people who diet go with the defacto 1200 calorie diet, then end up failing miserably.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition[/b
  • bennjammin
    bennjammin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump! Good Read!
  • Nessalee77
    Options
    Thank you to joe and cmriverside for your responses!
  • kdunning53
    kdunning53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump