TDEE is everything

Options

Replies

• HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Thank you, but I am pretty sure we'll still see daily posts from people who don't know how it all works
    Can we sticky this somehow?

I was considering making some sort of animated YouTube video which explained all the basic principles of weight loss in a way that anyone could understand.
  • 2012dancingqueen
    2012dancingqueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you, but I am pretty sure we'll still see daily posts from people who don't know how it all works

I was considering making some sort of animated YouTube video which explained all the basic principles of weight loss in a way that anyone could understand.

That would be awesome. i've been on here two weeks looking thru the boards and still am confused.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    How many times do you workout?

I work in a office, but I workout 3x a week. I started my TDEE x 1.35.

This is better anyway.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

I work out 3x a week also. So - on my workout days i would eat at TDEE x 1.35 then? Or everyday including the days i dont work out?

I was told not to eat my exercise calories by my nutritionist cuz it defeats the purpose of working out.... but seems like there are two big schools of thought on this.
    Read the link posted.

Yes, start off at 1.3 or 1.35. Regardless, you are going to have to monitor for two weeks. If you don't drop weight, reduce calories by 100. Start by ALWAYS reducing carbs first!

Your nutritionist is wrong.

If that was the case, applying activity levels would be irrelevant.

You create a deficit through diet not training. Once you factor in your activity level, exercise is factored in. Note, cardio is not included.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Stickies would be nice.

I just added a link to this thread from the "TDEE" entry of the unofficial faq. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390142-what-is-tdee

The faq would be a lot more useful if we could have a way that new (or even old) members could see it.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options

Those of us who do have BMF's are finding this calculator to be quite close to what the BMF gives us.

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

I just did this one, and it says my BMR is 1344 and my TEE is 2160 - i did not calculate in any intentional exercise as I figure I can calculate that into my calorie deficit that I want to create. So if I want to lose a lb a week, then I would need to net 1660 cals a day! that seems really high and i'm seriously afraid to try it as I really want to make sure I meet my goals this month... MFP has me at 1200 cals a day... and i know that is low - i usually try to get between 1300 - 1400 a day and that seems to work well for me.
  • ESP12
    ESP12 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I should know this, but I don't remember. What are some of the best equations for estimating TDEE w/ a body fit media?

Nothing is 100% but these formulas are some of the more popular ones used:

Miffin-St.Jeor:
    MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
    WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161

BUMP*

Katch-McArdle: (requires you to know your bodyfat%)
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100
  • BigCat175
    BigCat175 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I love TDEE. I was using MFPs recommended 1200cals, lost for three months (~15 lbs) and then was at a plateau for 3 months (weight fluctuated 1 to 2 pounds up or down, but never a consistent loss over three months). I upped my calories to 1500/day based on a deficit from my TDEE and I have started losing again. I like TDEE because I don't log my exercise (I have learned what it feels like when my body is really working so I don't need to pin down the exact # of cals I burn) and TDEE accounts for my exercise already. As I start to increase my running I will probably work up to 1800 cal/day.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I love TDEE. I was using MFPs recommended 1200cals, lost for three months (~15 lbs) and then was at a plateau for 3 months (weight fluctuated 1 to 2 pounds up or down, but never a consistent loss over three months). I upped my calories to 1500/day based on a deficit from my TDEE and I have started losing again. I like TDEE because I don't log my exercise (I have learned what it feels like when my body is really working so I don't need to pin down the exact # of cals I burn) and TDEE accounts for my exercise already. As I start to increase my running I will probably work up to 1800 cal/day.
    We have a winner!
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LawRahB
    LawRahB Posts: 12
    Options
    Bump for once I get a HRM and can calculate my TDEE!
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    saving for later, thanks!
  • rebeccap13
    Options

Those of us who do have BMF's are finding this calculator to be quite close to what the BMF gives us.

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

I just did this one, and it says my BMR is 1344 and my TEE is 2160 - i did not calculate in any intentional exercise as I figure I can calculate that into my calorie deficit that I want to create. So if I want to lose a lb a week, then I would need to net 1660 cals a day! that seems really high and i'm seriously afraid to try it as I really want to make sure I meet my goals this month... MFP has me at 1200 cals a day... and i know that is low - i usually try to get between 1300 - 1400 a day and that seems to work well for me.

Try it for a month and if it doesn't work go back to what you were doing. You're not going to gain weight at 1660 cals if your TDEE WITHOUT exercise is 2160, especially if you keep your exercise intensity and frequency the same.
  • Evelyn_22
    Evelyn_22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    1g protein for every pound? That is a lot. I was told you only need 40-60g a day for women. Maybe that's sedentary?
  • rebeccap13
    Options
    1g protein for every pound? That is a lot. I was told you only need 40-60g a day for women. Maybe that's sedentary?

I eat 150g of protein, working out three to five times a week. You should eat about 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass at a minimum if you are working out.
  • FindingTotalHealth
    Options
    This might have been asked already but at 8 pages it is hard to read it all. My question is this: I have a desk job (I work as a high school counselor) but I work out intensely 2 times a week (where I also lift heavy ) and moderately 2 times a week where I also do yoga. Do I consider myself sedentary for estimation purposes bc of my job or do I consider myself active?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This might have been asked already but at 8 pages it is hard to read it all. My question is this: I have a desk job (I work as a high school counselor) but I work out intensely 2 times a week (where I also lift heavy ) and moderately 2 times a week where I also do yoga. Do I consider myself sedentary for estimation purposes bc of my job or do I consider myself active?

This is a point of contention. The wording on the settings screen implies that one should exclude exercise when they choose activity level; However for many people, such as myself, we need to set it to something like 'Active' to get the numbers to work out to reality.

This is why it's often useful to figure your TDEE with other means, then work backwards from there to figure how to set your MFP settings.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    We have a winner!

i'm in a very similar situation, thank you for your input :heart:
  • Nessalee77
    Nessalee77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later - also hi everyone! I am a newbie to this site although I've been on Calorie King for a long time, this thread is really worrying me but I am trying to keep an open mind!
  • AntWrig
    Options

I eat 150g of protein, working out three to five times a week. You should eat about 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass at a minimum if you are working out.
    Yep.