Ugh, The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Really? It's not ok that your obesity exhibit suggests fat kids have poor eating habits? give it up already
ORLANDO, Fla. — Walt Disney World is retooling an Epcot exhibit on childhood obesity after critics complained it was insensitive to obese kids and reinforced stereotypes.

The interactive exhibit, Habit Heroes, featured animated fitness superheros Will Power and Callie Stenics and super-sized villains Snacker and Lead Bottom, who eat junk food and watch too much television. Critics said the exhibit reinforces stereotypes that obese children are lazy and have poor eating habits.

Doctors say obesity can sometimes be attributed to genetics and certain medications, and food can be used as a coping mechanism.

“We’re appalled to learn that Disney, a traditional hallmark of childhood happiness and joy, has fallen under the shadow of negativity and discrimination,” the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance said in a statement.

“I was really disturbed to see the most negative habits were attached to really fat bodies,” Peggy Howell, a spokeswoman for the group, said after viewing a companion website. “These pictures further the stigma against people of higher body weight.”

The exhibit was closed shortly after its unofficial opening in February, the Orlando Sentinel reported Thursday. The official opening has been postponed indefinitely.

Blue Cross and Blue Shield partnered with Disney to create the exhibit. Blue Cross spokesman John W. Herbkersman said the exhibit was meant to be helpful.

“Our goal is to ensure that the attraction conveys a positive message about healthy lifestyles in a fun and empowering way,” Herbkersman said. “To work on further improving and refining the experience, the attraction is closed for the time being. We look forward to officially opening it soon.”

Added Disney spokeswoman Kathleen Prihoda: “That’s why we have a soft opening. So we can open it up to others and listen. We’ve heard the feedback.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/1/disney-retooling-obesity-exhibit-after-complaints/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Front-TheWashingtonTimesAmericasNewspaper+(Front+Page+-+The+Washington+Times)

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wish Disney would serve healthier foods within their parks.

And beer.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Seriously?!?!?!

I think that exhibit is great! Kid friendly and a cute way to try and motivate kids to get active.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like a GREAT exhibit!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    The exhibit should take shots at the parents but they're the ones spending the money so that's not going to happen.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Omg there should be no such organization.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Teaching kids about healthy habits is obviously a bad thing because then they'll want to better themselves. Who wants that?
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    Yeah, they really do care, that's why their parks are loaded with deep fried fatty foods, funnel cakes, corn dogs, ice cream, etc...maybe they can start there and then move on from that!

Honestly, I liked the idea of it, but I also understand not "villianizing" fat people. It's the fat and habits we want to get rid of, not the people! I think there was a better way to do this one!
  • nycko20
    nycko20 Posts: 31
    Options
    I say open it. The public needs honesty and it has to start somewhere. I think they way they were going about it was great. It could have been worse. Come on America...lets help out youth before there is no hope!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    This country has gone to hell. God forbid we should set good examples! Instead we practice "acceptance" so no one has to do anything hard. Nothing great was achieved without hard work and it's no surprise that we are falling behind in every single category.

Faaawk.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    They made a big deal out of this movie too
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxvToVwVTx1OVRn6OImCANo7NAdCwLd01hHxXc0XUvfU_j3VWP4w
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Damn.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    “We’re appalled to learn that Disney, a traditional hallmark of childhood happiness and joy, has fallen under the shadow of negativity and discrimination,” the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance said in a statement.

Well, fat people are jollier.

My conspiracy theory for the day: I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this organization is funded by the drug companies.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The exhibit should take shots at the parents but they're the ones spending the money so that's not going to happen.

Personally, I agree with this.

Whilst the exhibit did sound ok it is really obese kids who will bear the brunt of the teasing / stigma rather than the parents who are making poor choices on their behalf.

"Shaming" children won't work except in the minority of case in my view.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wish Disney would serve healthier foods within their parks.

And beer.

They DO serve healthier foods now, fruit and yogurt everywhere. The fruit goes bad while they can't stock the ice cream Mickeys quickly enough. Sad, but true.

Epcot for the beer. :wink:
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    Also...

I think it's the parents job to do the educating on health, though we know how well that works with a lot of families. I have already heard my 7 year old daughter criticizing fat people and that is just wrong! She told me that they must drink a lot of milk because school told her that milk makes people fat, and that she didn't want to drink milk anymore. Amongst other things I've heard her say.

I like the idea of the exhibit, I just wish it wasn't the overweight characters that were the villains, rather, the foods themselves should be the villains.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    This country has gone to hell. God forbid we should set good examples! Instead we practice "acceptance" so no one has to do anything hard. Nothing great was achieved without hard work and it's no surprise that we are falling behind in every single category.

Faaawk.

Word. And guess what, the world is not all rainbows and warm fuzzies. Stop getting your feelings so hurt and do something to better your life. Kids need to learn how to take care of themselves and be healthy, and we need to stop kidding ourselves into thinking that one day everyone is going to hold hands and sing in harmony. No matter who you are, somebody is not going to accept you. Whether you're too fat, too thin, too white, too black, whatever. DEAL WITH IT. It's just the way things are.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Personally, I agree with this.

Whilst the exhibit did sound ok it is really obese kids who will bear the brunt of the teasing / stigma rather than the parents who are making poor choices on their behalf.

"Shaming" children won't work except in the minority of case in my view.

Very true. The kids aren't the ones buying the food in the house. Parents aren't parents anymore in America. They're friends to their kids. Remove the junk food from the house, remove the Xbox, the Wii, whatever and make your kids do something besides sit in front of the TV. YOU ARE THE PARENT FOR GOD's SAKE.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Why not suggest all kids should eat healthfully, instead of implying only fat kids have to?
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Faaawk.
    Word. And guess what, the world is not all rainbows and warm fuzzies.

My world is all warm fuzzies. As a matter of fact I've got some warm fuzzies in my pocket... Would you like to reach in and get them?
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Really? It's not ok that your obesity exhibit suggests fat kids have poor eating habits? give it up already
    ORLANDO, Fla. — Walt Disney World is retooling an Epcot exhibit on childhood obesity after critics complained it was insensitive to obese kids and reinforced stereotypes.

The interactive exhibit, Habit Heroes, featured animated fitness superheros Will Power and Callie Stenics and super-sized villains Snacker and Lead Bottom, who eat junk food and watch too much television. Critics said the exhibit reinforces stereotypes that obese children are lazy and have poor eating habits.

Doctors say obesity can sometimes be attributed to genetics and certain medications, and food can be used as a coping mechanism.

“I was really disturbed to see the most negative habits were attached to really fat bodies,” Peggy Howell, a spokeswoman for the group, said after viewing a companion website. “These pictures further the stigma against people of higher body weight.”

The exhibit was closed shortly after its unofficial opening in February, the Orlando Sentinel reported Thursday. The official opening has been postponed indefinitely.

Blue Cross and Blue Shield partnered with Disney to create the exhibit. Blue Cross spokesman John W. Herbkersman said the exhibit was meant to be helpful.

“Our goal is to ensure that the attraction conveys a positive message about healthy lifestyles in a fun and empowering way,” Herbkersman said. “To work on further improving and refining the experience, the attraction is closed for the time being. We look forward to officially opening it soon.”

Added Disney spokeswoman Kathleen Prihoda: “That’s why we have a soft opening. So we can open it up to others and listen. We’ve heard the feedback.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/1/disney-retooling-obesity-exhibit-after-complaints/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Front-TheWashingtonTimesAmericasNewspaper+(Front+Page+-+The+Washington+Times)

How abotu someone create a National Association to teach better eating habits!
This discussion has been closed.