Ugh, The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• nycko20
    nycko20 Posts: 31
    Options
    As a side note, Epcot has fantastic beer and wine and girlie drinks...and what do you know....it had the "fat exhibit"! :laugh:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    The exhibit should take shots at the parents but they're the ones spending the money so that's not going to happen.

Personally, I agree with this.

Whilst the exhibit did sound ok it is really obese kids who will bear the brunt of the teasing / stigma rather than the parents who are making poor choices on their behalf.

"Shaming" children won't work except in the minority of case in my view.

Very true. The kids aren't the ones buying the food in the house. Parents aren't parents anymore in America. They're friends to their kids. Remove the junk food from the house, remove the Xbox, the Wii, whatever and make your kids do something besides sit in front of the TV. YOU ARE THE PARENT FOR GOD's SAKE.

But the way I see it, many parents are not going to change. So sometimes kids have to count on themselves and make their own healthy choices unfortunately. And i think encouraging them to get active is a great idea
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    This country has gone to hell. God forbid we should set good examples! Instead we practice "acceptance" so no one has to do anything hard. Nothing great was achieved without hard work and it's no surprise that we are falling behind in every single category.

Faaawk.

Exactly.
    A few years back I read an article in a parenting magazine showing the results of a poll done many years ago as opposed to a current one. What did the parents want now? For their children to be "happy". The older poll showed "good character" to be what they most wanted for their children. There really is a difference. :smile:
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    The exhibit should take shots at the parents but they're the ones spending the money so that's not going to happen.

Whilst the exhibit did sound ok it is really obese kids who will bear the brunt of the teasing / stigma rather than the parents who are making poor choices on their behalf.

Agreed! Overweight kids have been teased forever.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ...ffs I hit reply instead of quote... Anyway, no it's not a real organization to the person who asked. xD It's from an episode of Family Guy.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Very true. The kids aren't the ones buying the food in the house. Parents aren't parents anymore in America. They're friends to their kids. Remove the junk food from the house, remove the Xbox, the Wii, whatever and make your kids do something besides sit in front of the TV. YOU ARE THE PARENT FOR GOD's SAKE.

I agree. My daughter does have a Wii but she is only allowed to play the active games, and she goes to the gym 4-5 days a week with me.
  • Brademert
    Brademert Posts: 17
    Options
    Honestly, I wish Disney would serve healthier foods within their parks.

And beer.

The Disney Adventure Park in Cali serves beer and margaritas. It was a great day when we found that.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Why not suggest all kids should eat healthfully, instead of implying only fat kids have to?

It's my understanding that predominately the fat kids that aren't eating healthy.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    geesh!!! maybe they should just play "Super-Size Me" over and over again!!!! McDonald's would have a fit tho! They should have invested in a school program so the kids are exposed to it. Not everyone can get to Disney!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

And beer.

The Disney Adventure Park in Cali serves beer and margaritas. It was a great day when we found that.

3 out of the 4 parks in Walt Disney World serve alcoholic beverages! It's only Magic Kingdom that doesn't, because they want to respect Walt's vision for the park, lol.
    Options
    Why not suggest all kids should eat healthfully, instead of implying only fat kids have to?

It's my understanding that predominately the fat kids that aren't eating healthy.

there are those who are thin because they're not... they just starve themselves by choice or because they have no food...
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

And beer.

Just don't go to Disneyland/magic kingdom and you can have beer.

I recommend World showcase at Epcot. Lots and Lots of yummy food in the country resteraunts (I recommend Italy and Japan... and if your willing to calorie splurge the carmal shop in Germany). They also have beer and wine and other drinks in each country... trust me there is no shortage of beer.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I wish just once a story would come up like this where they turn round and tell them to stop being so ridiculous.

That company would get my respect.
    Options

I agree. My daughter does have a Wii but she is only allowed to play the active games, and she goes to the gym 4-5 days a week with me.

my son plays games.... but he also takes gymnastics and will be playing soccer this school season. playing is he reward... oh, and he's slender and muscular for a13 year old.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I teach my kids not to eat too much junk, and to get exercise, so they don't get fat. I'm a monster.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I wish just once a story would come up like this where they turn round and tell them to stop being so ridiculous.

That company would get my respect.

Mine too.
  • rachelsholiday
    rachelsholiday Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as having a healthy weight. But that differs from person to person. Thin doesn't always equal healthy and fat doesn't always equal unhealthy. And lets face it, your ideas of "thin" and "fat" may be totally off from what is actually healthy or unhealthy.

I agree that all people (kids included) should be taught to have an active and healthy lifestyle. But you can't assume that because you view a person as "fat" means they are unhealthy.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Seriously?!?!?!

I think that exhibit is great! Kid friendly and a cute way to try and motivate kids to get active.

that's what it sounds like to me too!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I was in Disney World in late January and saw this exhibit's promotional signs which showed the characters. I didn't think it was a big deal, but I do remember thinking "that's lame, no kid is going to want to do that at Disney World". It's in the Innoventions building right next to the spot where you get to build and "ride" your own simulated roller coaster (which is a very awesome attraction).

Not all, but many of the exhibits in Innoventions are completely devoid of kids enjoying them because they are very educational and that's not what a kid wants to do at Disney World.

There are actually many healthy food choices in every single park. Disney World has gotten very healthy-eating friendly. They have loads of crap food too, and decadent food of course - it's Disney World. But I didn't have any problems finding healthy food to eat at any of the parks. Not every restaurant, but certainly several locations in each and every single park had healthy choices for me to enjoy! And beer, yes beer was readily available too if you know where to go!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Child-obesity campaigns are backfiring not only for fat kids:

School Obesity Programs May Promote Worrisome Eating Behaviors and Physical Activity in Kids
    ScienceDaily (Jan. 24, 2012) — In a new poll, 30% of parents report at least one worrisome behavior in their children that could be associated with the development of eating disorders

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120124151207.htm.
This discussion has been closed.