Ugh, The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, skinny does not always equal healthy and fat does not always equal unhealthy. Read up on the Edmonton Obesity Staging System and the studies surrounding it.

I've read most of the posts on this thread and I'm tired of reading this excuse. Yes we know skinny isn't always healthy but please explain to me when FAT is healthy??!! I can never think of a time when someone was called fat and that meant healthy.

Did you ever see a lineman for a NFL team? I wouldn't consider most of these "atheletes" healthy either. Just because someone has some "healthy" habits does not make them actually healthy. NEXT!

Did you read the post from the parent of a 9 year old "chubby" girl who plays soccer and does hapkido, eats healthfully and still gets picked on at school for being "fat"? Sounds healthy to me!

Just providing an example of a person (a child) who leads a healthy lifestyle and is still labeled "fat" by her peers. NEXT.

Once again, healthy habits does NOT mean a totally healthy lifestyle.

So what? If that was the point of your original post, I misunderstood. I thought you were asking for an example of when a person could be healthy and yet still be considered or ridiculed as fat.

If the person is actually "healthy" then I don't understand why they would be labeled as "fat".

Did you read this post?:

"http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.c7aaeb7940626693fa418a1eab2291f6.81
    (And no, I don't know the full merit of the study, but someone said name one instance)

There are overweight people that are in better physical health than skinny people, and vice versa."

Just because you don't understand how it could possibly be true doesn't mean there's the possibility that it isn't.

YEAH I GOT IT! SOME OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE ARE MORE HEALTHY THAN SOME SKINNY PEOPLE! NOT MY POINT!
    Nothing in that statment says fat people are healthy. My point is that I have never seen a "fat" person I would classify as healthy, EVER! I challenge you to post a picture of someone who is FAT and HEALTHY.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I really don't get he outrage.

They are using the fact that some people have illnesses which make them gain weight as one of the main points behind their argument, but this is a small proportion when compared to the amount who simply eat unhealthily and have poor portion control.

People are asking why Disney think it's their place to educate children. Why do you have an issue with education coming from outside of parents and schools. Disney are providing somewhere that PARENTS can take their children where they can play and learn at the same time. Much like watching Sesame Street or going to children's museums. There is some assumption that parents are using this as the sole nutrition education that their children will get. It isn't something Disney are doing as they feel it's their place - they put these things in because that's what parents want.

Regarding the fact that the characters are fat and the heroes are thin (though I presume they aren't actually 'thin', but in fact somewhat athletic or 'healthy'), that's because eating lots of bad food makes one fat, and eating healthily and properly and exercising appropriately makes one healthy. They are not trying to vilify fat people - rather showing the effects of poor nutrition.

Also - someone was saying about the main hero being called Will Power, asking how many people succeed on will power alone? I would like to put my hand up among the number that have. I don't use any special tricks. I try to eat right and I exercise. What motivates me to do this is looking in the mirror and seeing someone I am happy to be, and also just plain feeling healthier and more energetic.

Someone made an argument about people living below the poverty line not being able to afford to go on 'organised activities. If you are below the poverty line, but are feeding your children junk food and enough of it to make them overweight, then you are spending too much on junk food. There are cheaper options that are healthier. My parents had very little money when I was growing up. Instead of holidays I would get taken to the park or to other free places. All my food was cooked from the ingredients, not bought in a cardboard box and microwaved, mostly because that was how my parents did things, but also because it is cheaper that way!

There is far too much pressure on people to cater for those who might feel insulted in society today, and we end up catering for no one. Our sense of entitlement is at an all time high, whilst at the same time our sense of responsibility for ourselves is at an all time low. Johnny isn't eating right and is fat - it's McDonalds fault for making their food so tasty and advertising it on tv. Sophie isn't doing well at school - it's her teacher's fault for not raising my child for me. Tommy becomes a criminal - it's society's fault, he had no choice.

No one wants to take responsibility for themselves and for those who are in their care, and this makes me sad for our future.

I agree with the last line of this SO MUCH. I don't think this exhibit sounds like a terrible thing. It seems to be unpopular because it makes people realize how unhealthy their lifestyles are. If it solely emphasized being skinny as the ideal, and not being active/eating well, then I'd take issue with it being displayed. But in this day and age where people seem more content buying fast food for themselves/family for dinner every night vs preparing it, any signs telling them that this behavior is bad are vilified. Before I made the decision to make my life healthier, I was guilty of doing this myself.

While there are many factors contributing to why fast food may be the easier/ more accessible option in some neighborhoods, it is not impossible for someone/a family to sustain themselves on a healthier diet paying the same (if not less than) what they spend eating out.

Hell frozen, steam in the bag vegetables are one of the easiest things to prepare for people with little free time (myself). Just put it in the microwave! While fresh is obviously the best choice, frozen is imo next up - many nutrients are preserved by freezing it, plus you have a much longer shelf life to work with.

This and This!! So many people don't take responsibility for their actions and the results it has on their lives. Obesity is no better or worse than any other disease. Slowly it is a killer, so it is something children need to be educated about and shouldn't be offended by the education. It's not personal, and it's not teasing, it is THE TRUTH. It doesn't matter if poor health choices, and health problem, or genetics brought you here... if you are obese you are at risk of many health problems. Some parents don't want sex ed taught because they think it will take the innocence away from their children but at the same time knowledge is power, and children need to know these things so they can make educated decisions for their futures! And there is ALWAYS a healthier decision, that is cheaper. Last time i checked water is free, and soda is not. Frozen veggies cost the same as canned veggies and are healthier. Whole grain breads and pastas cost the same as enriched grain products. And nuts cost just a tad bit more than chips, but not much. I used to think eating healthy was expensive. But i've saved so much money from NOT eating out that i can buy more fresh foods, and lean meats. I've found it to actually be relatively cheaper if you know what decisions to make. And i had to teach myself that, and at this point i'm already overweight. Wouldn't it have been better if i had been taught this at a younger age and never had to battle being overweight!? I plan on teaching my daughter healthy eating habits and educated decisions. I won't vilify obese PEOPLE in the process, but if you ask me obesity itself is a villain. And the only way to keep yourself from the obesity epidemic is to be educated. A lot of kids eat McDonalds because it tastes good and that's all they know and care about. It's the adults job to show them a better, healthier way.
  • archgrrrl
    archgrrrl Posts: 62
    Options
    Bottom line, skinny does not always equal healthy and fat does not always equal unhealthy. Read up on the Edmonton Obesity Staging System and the studies surrounding it.

I've read most of the posts on this thread and I'm tired of reading this excuse. Yes we know skinny isn't always healthy but please explain to me when FAT is healthy??!! I can never think of a time when someone was called fat and that meant healthy.

Did you ever see a lineman for a NFL team? I wouldn't consider most of these "atheletes" healthy either. Just because someone has some "healthy" habits does not make them actually healthy. NEXT!

Did you read the post from the parent of a 9 year old "chubby" girl who plays soccer and does hapkido, eats healthfully and still gets picked on at school for being "fat"? Sounds healthy to me!

Just providing an example of a person (a child) who leads a healthy lifestyle and is still labeled "fat" by her peers. NEXT.

So what? If that was the point of your original post, I misunderstood. I thought you were asking for an example of when a person could be healthy and yet still be considered or ridiculed as fat.

If the person is actually "healthy" then I don't understand why they would be labeled as "fat".

Did you read this post?:

"http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.c7aaeb7940626693fa418a1eab2291f6.81
    (And no, I don't know the full merit of the study, but someone said name one instance)

There are overweight people that are in better physical health than skinny people, and vice versa."

Just because you don't understand how it could possibly be true doesn't mean there's the possibility that it isn't.

YEAH I GOT IT! SOME OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE ARE MORE HEALTHY THAN SOME SKINNY PEOPLE! NOT MY POINT!
    Nothing in that statment says fat people are healthy. My point is that I have never seen a "fat" person I would classify as healthy, EVER! I challenge you to post a picture of someone who is FAT and HEALTHY.

LOL Okay clearly I'm not understanding the point you are actually trying to make here, so I'm done.
  • forgottenfraggle
    Options
    I've just got done reading this entire thread and I'm so angry I don't know where to begin. The judgement oozing out of most of you is shameful. AND the reason this association exists in the first place. For those of you who do believe that the Disney display is complete reasonable, I have a few questions:

How many of you spent the majority of your life overweight? How many of you were latchkey kids with your parent(s)/guardian gone 90% of the time you spent awake and at home? How many of you didn't have a yard growing up? How many of you had role models who were depressed/addicted/working all the time/constantly behind on the bills? How many of you are "reasonably" attractive? How many of you can comfortably go or take your children to see this exhibit? How many of you have employment that gives you vacation pay? Health insurance? How many of you have full use of all of your faculties and all of your limbs? And finally, and I hate to say this, but how many of you are white?

The exhibit shames fat people, you are shaming fat people, the medical community has been shaming fat people for decades, businesses shame fat people, children shame fat children, restaurants shame fat people, television and movies shame fat people, schools shame fat people.

The athletic activities taught to children are all competitive. And if you aren't competitive, you generally sit the sidelines and learn that you are not athletic. Then you go to the cafeteria where you have access to massive amounts of fatty foods filled with corn syrup, or wilted lettuce and three day old boring sandwiches.

The number of times I read the word "should" in here is appalling. Shaming people doesn't work. If it did, we'd have less unhealthy people. Instead, what we have is, at least in the US, a generation of children who for the first time in HISTORY have a shorter life expectancy that their parents.

And my final point is this: If somebody is living an unhealthy life style, what the heck business is it of yours, you judgmental gossipy drama mongers? SOOOO glad your much healthier, and wiser, and better than those people. Good for you.
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options

I like the idea of the exhibit, I just wish it wasn't the overweight characters that were the villains, rather, the foods themselves should be the villains.
    I like this ^

Can't we all just work together as a society to help kids make better choices?:huh:

To make overweight people the villains is just wrong. To assume that "fat" people are "bad" people is completely absurd!

And to teach children that it is acceptable to be anything (including liars, cheaters, & murderers:devil: ) but "fat" is also absurd!

Teach them to love themselves as well as others. No matter what the cover looks like.

Grow up! :angry:
  • GoldspursX3
    Options

Did you read this post?:

LOL Okay clearly I'm not understanding the point you are actually trying to make here, so I'm done.

Clearly....peace out
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    We will be a nation of people bearing a striking resemblance to those in the movie Wall-e.
  • samanthakre
    Options
    Also...

I think it's the parents job to do the educating on health, though we know how well that works with a lot of families. I have already heard my 7 year old daughter criticizing fat people and that is just wrong! She told me that they must drink a lot of milk because school told her that milk makes people fat, and that she didn't want to drink milk anymore. Amongst other things I've heard her say.

Well said. I go through the same with my children...they never say anything about me [although I am positive they want me to lose weight], but I have heard them comment on other people and how they must do this or that to be overweight....we have had several talks about it.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    With some of the posts on here where adults have "absolutely no idea" what is healthy or where to start, I'm think there should be a Disney exhibit for adults to learn from as well as the children. I agree with what someone said on the first page or so, it should be the foods themselves that are the villians.
  • GoldspursX3
    Options
    I've just got done reading this entire thread and I'm so angry I don't know where to begin. The judgement oozing out of most of you is shameful. AND the reason this association exists in the first place. For those of you who do believe that the Disney display is complete reasonable, I have a few questions:

How many of you spent the majority of your life overweight? How many of you were latchkey kids with your parent(s)/guardian gone 90% of the time you spent awake and at home? How many of you didn't have a yard growing up? How many of you had role models who were depressed/addicted/working all the time/constantly behind on the bills? How many of you are "reasonably" attractive? How many of you can comfortably go or take your children to see this exhibit? How many of you have employment that gives you vacation pay? Health insurance? How many of you have full use of all of your faculties and all of your limbs? And finally, and I hate to say this, but how many of you are white?

The exhibit shames fat people, you are shaming fat people, the medical community has been shaming fat people for decades, businesses shame fat people, children shame fat children, restaurants shame fat people, television and movies shame fat people, schools shame fat people.

The athletic activities taught to children are all competitive. And if you aren't competitive, you generally sit the sidelines and learn that you are not athletic. Then you go to the cafeteria where you have access to massive amounts of fatty foods filled with corn syrup, or wilted lettuce and three day old boring sandwiches.

The number of times I read the word "should" in here is appalling. Shaming people doesn't work. If it did, we'd have less unhealthy people. Instead, what we have is, at least in the US, a generation of children who for the first time in HISTORY have a shorter life expectancy that their parents.

And my final point is this: If somebody is living an unhealthy life style, what the heck business is it of yours, you judgmental gossipy drama mongers? SOOOO glad your much healthier, and wiser, and better than those people. Good for you.

I haven't seen a single post advocating to point at the "fat kid" and laugh. No one is trying to demonize fat people. If seeing an exhibit that promotes a healthy lifestyle shames someone then maybe they should not go to it. It's about educating people on a healthier exsistence.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

health·y/ˈhelTHē/
    Adjective:
    1) In good health: "feeling fit and healthy".
    -> Football Lineman, Rugby Props, Sumo Wrestlers. Many are in the overweight category by BF%
    2) (of a part of the body) Not diseased.
    ->The article I linked, for me an added 6 to 7 year life span counts

I get what you're saying. I also pointed out that I thought the stigma around obesity is the problem. If you just want to say that fat is bad that's fine, do whatever you want. In my opinion though, to actually help others develop healthier lifestyles, a different kind of message is needed.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

I like the idea of the exhibit, I just wish it wasn't the overweight characters that were the villains, rather, the foods themselves should be the villains.
    I like this ^

Sorry, but food isn't the villain. Doesn't even make sense to me. Food didn't make me gain weight. I made me gain weight by not knowing when to get off my *kitten* and stop eating. It was MY fault, not food's. Food didn't hold a gun to my head and force me to eat it. Even unhealthy foods like fast food are ok to eat in moderation....that's the key though: moderation.

Parents need to take responsibility for the habits they teach their children, plain and simple. Stop blaming genetics, society, McDonald's, or whatever, and take some responsibility for your health and the health of your children.

Furthermore, to tell children that the food is the villain is a really good way of setting them up for an eating disorder.

Instead of crying about being obese and people not being accepting of it, look at yourself and figure out "What can I do to make this situation better?" The only change you can make is a change for yourself.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I haven't seen a single post advocating to point at the "fat kid" and laugh. No one is trying to demonize fat people. If seeing an exhibit that promotes a healthy lifestyle shames someone then maybe they should not go to it. It's about educating people on a healthier exsistence.

The argument many are making is that the nature of the exhibit will have the effect of fostering an environment where children will ostracize obese kids and mock them. They believe (and I agree with them) that the nature of the exhibit will cause associations to be drawn between overweight kids and the villains from the exhibit, making them 'bad' or 'wrong' or 'different'. I have been trying to state that changing tone of the message would do a better job of promoting a healthy lifestyle and that the exhibit listed does not effectively promote a healthy lifestyle. I don't think anyone has said we should NOT promote healthy living.
  • GoldspursX3
    Options

The argument many are making is that the nature of the exhibit will have the effect of fostering an environment where children will ostracize obese kids and mock them. They believe (and I agree with them) that the nature of the exhibit will cause associations to be drawn between overweight kids and the villains from the exhibit, making them 'bad' or 'wrong' or 'different'. I have been trying to state that changing tone of the message would do a better job of promoting a healthy lifestyle and that the exhibit listed does not effectively promote a healthy lifestyle. I don't think anyone has said we should NOT promote healthy living.

This mentality, IMO, is what causes many people to be overweight. Blame the enviroment or the situation and not the individual or the actions of said indivdual. I had more weight than I cared to because I became less active and ate a bunch of crap. It was no one's fault but my own. I accept that and I corrected it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This country has gone to hell. God forbid we should set good examples! Instead we practice "acceptance" so no one has to do anything hard. Nothing great was achieved without hard work and it's no surprise that we are falling behind in every single category.

Faaawk.

This for sure. God forbid anyone should be offended about anything. God forbid that anyone should lose at anything. The "I showed up" awards for kids are out of control, as well as the acceptance of everything. Sometimes you need to be told that you are fat, or stinky or lazy, or whatnot....
    I can see the same argument being used towards minorities.

Anyway, the image of fat has changed over time. So, I really don't see the big deal. They should be accepted as human beings instead of being labeled as fat. If they choose to be over weight then so be it. How is that messing with your life?

Ever sit next to an extremely obese person on an airplane? Also, health care costs have increased significantly in part due to the rampant obesity related illnesses in this country. As we keep getting fatter, there ARE negative impacts on society as a whole. Just sayin.

A little OT but I recently flew back from Halifax with an obese couple squashing me against the bulkhead (yay - I had the window seat). The whole trip back they *****ed about not having an extra seat to share between them (it was a full flight) as if being obese was a disability that should receive special accommodation, meanwhile they ate absolute garbage junk food non-stop and took umbrage to me suggesting that if they laid off the doritos they might not need 3 seats for 2 *kitten*.

Thankfully, it's not a long flight.

****end of insensitive complaining*****
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Instead of crying about being obese and people not being accepting of it, look at yourself and figure out "What can I do to make this situation better?" The only change you can make is a change for yourself.

Yeah, I'm sure all the obese people making positive steps in their lives aren't hurt at all by all the crap they have to go through while they're doing it. Or maybe you think they deserve it? Perhaps it's a penance for being so irresponsible? I hope you don't; that would be fairly terrible.

It's not a switch. Not everyone can just say to themselves "Oh it's ok, I know they'll stop hating and judging me when I don't look fat anymore. If only they knew I'm changing my life." Do you honestly believe that kind of affirmation does anything?

As much as I like to say that the opinions of other people aren't any of my business, it has limits. And when it comes to fat people, society is more than willing to not only test those limits but transgress them.

Heaven forbid we actually treat people with dignity, regardless of our opinions of health.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    This mentality, IMO, is what causes many people to be overweight. Blame the enviroment or the situation and not the individual or the actions of said indivdual. I had more weight than I cared to because I became less active and ate a bunch of crap. It was no one's fault but my own. I accept that and I corrected it.

And you are fully entitled to that opinion; I just happen to disagree with you on how best to promote healthier lifestyle choices in others, specifically young people in this case..
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Omg there should be no such organization.

Right. It should be okay to judge people on how they look and how "healthy" they are. Because fat people aren't really people, you know.

It's not my or your job to "encourage" people to be healthy. And they don't stop being people because they made choices we disagree with. Weight isn't as simple as many people think, and healthy isn't synonymous with virtuous, nor is unhealthy the same thing as evil, whatever you might think. People virtually never get healthier because people mistreat them, and I believe that an organization that advances the idea that fat people are still people is a valuable organization. It saddens me that you don't agree.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm sure all the obese people making positive steps in their lives aren't hurt at all by all the crap they have to go through while they're doing it. Or maybe you think they deserve it? Perhaps it's a penance for being so irresponsible? I hope you don't; that would be fairly terrible.

It's not a switch. Not everyone can just say to themselves "Oh it's ok, I know they'll stop hating and judging me when I don't look fat anymore. If only they knew I'm changing my life." Do you honestly believe that kind of affirmation does anything?

As much as I like to say that the opinions of other people aren't any of my business, it has limits. And when it comes to fat people, society is more than willing to not only test those limits but transgress them.

Heaven forbid we actually treat people with dignity, regardless of our opinions of health.

No, obviously I don't think people deserve getting shi!t thrown at them like that for being overweight, but I think people spend too much time whining about what they can't change instead of working to change what they can.
  • forgottenfraggle
    Options

^ This. The "villains" in the exhibit are overweight, with problems like eating junkfood and being lazy. The heros are skinny. Most people who are overweight know what it takes to lose weight, but there are other issues getting in the way. And saying to those people, who already know what to do, "All it takes is eating healthy and getting some exercise, what's the big?" is telling them that they are fat and lazy. That in and of itself is shaming, and the exhibit, and most of the "This exhibit is educational" merely perpetuate that thought pattern.
This discussion has been closed.