Ugh, The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    This country has gone to hell. God forbid we should set good examples! Instead we practice "acceptance" so no one has to do anything hard. Nothing great was achieved without hard work and it's no surprise that we are falling behind in every single category.

Faaawk.

This for sure. God forbid anyone should be offended about anything. God forbid that anyone should lose at anything. The "I showed up" awards for kids are out of control, as well as the acceptance of everything. Sometimes you need to be told that you are fat, or stinky or lazy, or whatnot....
    I can see the same argument being used towards minorities.

Anyway, the image of fat has changed over time. So, I really don't see the big deal. They should be accepted as human beings instead of being labeled as fat. If they choose to be over weight then so be it. How is that messing with your life?

Ever sit next to an extremely obese person on an airplane? Also, health care costs have increased significantly in part due to the rampant obesity related illnesses in this country. As we keep getting fatter, there ARE negative impacts on society as a whole. Just sayin.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    This is the reply of a person who clearly did not grow up in poverty but wants to say they did to add credibility to their post. No one who has ever had to work two jobs just to get by would say it is just as easy to make healthy food as it is to go to McDonalds and that does not ever consider the cost.

If you really want to eat a healthy diet then it is far more expensive and time consuming than eating fast foods. In this country, a lot of people want to think they grew up poor because they could not afford to go to Mexico on spring break. Real poverty is a much different thing.

To say having no time and no money and no safe place to get exericse are not excuses to be fat is to shout oout to the world that you have never lived that life.

You have no idea what my background is or how I grew up, so I'd appreciate you not making those assumptions. I was taught not to use my circumstances as an excuse to live poorly and to always do the best with what I have, period. If you think that means I'm lying about growing up poor, whatever. Like I said, you have no idea.

If you really want a REASONABLY healthy diet and are living in poverty it CAN be done, and it's not all that hard. Canned vegetables are cheap, as are many in-season fresh vegetables, which I am aware are not available cheaply in all areas. Rice is cheap, potatoes are cheap, beans are cheap, whole chickens are cheap, as are chicken breasts in bulk. Seasonings are not cheap, but a little can go a very long way. Ramen noodles can even be made reasonably healthy if they're cooked in chicken broth (also cheap) and seasoned with salt and pepper rather than that god awful seasoning packet. Many people living in poverty also have some assistance like food stamps, and it's possible to buy reasonably healthy food with food stamps. I'm not denying that it's very difficult, if not impossible, to eat an optimally healthy diet with very little money for food.. but a reasonably healthy diet is an entirely different story.

I don't know if you live near an Ocean State Job Lot but seasonings are 89 cents a bottle there. :-)

There's one 5 miles from my work....that's awesome! I guess they really gouge you at the grocery store...
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Why not suggest all kids should eat healthfully, instead of implying only fat kids have to?

It's my understanding that predominately the fat kids that aren't eating healthy.

Hell nah. I know sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many thin people who eat *kitten*. EVERYONE should be healthy, not just fat kids. Gtfo.
  • HizGlory
    HizGlory Posts: 18
    Options
    As a parent of a 9 year old "chubby" girl this is a hard one. She is in soccer and does hapkido 3 days a week. I pack her healthy lunches because the hot lunch options at school are too grasy and unhealthy. I alwys have a bowl of fruit out that is the "help yourself" bowl, and we play wii together (wii fit or just dance) and still she gets picked on at school for being "FAT". I also have a friend that pushed her daughter too far and has recently caught her vomiting after eating. Long story short...we all just want to do whats best for our kids so that they are happy and healthy.

THANK YOU FOR BEING THAT PARENT!!! The parent that makes healthy choices for their child, has their child in sports and other activities and more importantly is teaching their child "healthy" lifestyle habits, but your child is still labeled as "fat" by her peers. Her peers parents have probably had conversation on what you're "not" doing to that is causing your child's "fatness". Continue to encourage to work hard, make good life choices, eat healthy & exercise, but most importantly...love herself!

Sometimes all you can do is your best!!! THANK YOU FOR DOING WHAT'S BEST FOR YOUR CHILD!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why not suggest all kids should eat healthfully, instead of implying only fat kids have to?

It's my understanding that predominately the fat kids that aren't eating healthy.

I hope that was sarcasm. I was at my absolute thinnest in my life when I had the absolute worst diet.
    [/quote]
    All through high school, all I ate was pizza, Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's ... And you couldn't pay me to eat a vegetable! I weighed 110 pounds and wore a size 3.
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I will go against the grain here... Yes we should concentrate on teaching our children to eat healthy and be active but in a positive and enabling way, not by providing negative images and sending the message that fat people = bad people.

habit_heroes-460x307.jpg

I dunno...snacker looks like a pretty nice lady.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I will go against the grain here... Yes we should concentrate on teaching our children to eat healthy and be active but in a positive and enabling way, not by providing negative images and sending the message that fat people = bad people.

habit_heroes-460x307.jpg

She does! Wish I had a magic wand shooting out donuts and cupcakes... :love:
  • HizGlory
    HizGlory Posts: 18
    Options
    "Everyone, reach one..." How many of us commenting is willing to create a program in community centers or the like to share our struggles and be leaders & examples in our community on regaining or maintaining a healthy lifestyle? How many are willing "adopt" a family in poverty to teach and empower the family to live healthy? How many are willing to vote for school levies that would give school systems the money they need to serve healthier food choices. It's very easy to sit behind a keyboard & discuss (with passion I may add) that this organization shouldn't exist, or fat kids are lazy or poor = fat... But no matter what side of the issue you sit...there is an old saying..."if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem..." IJS And if you are out there making a difference....THANK YOU!!
  • tlath70
    tlath70 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wish Disney would serve healthier foods within their parks.

And beer.

They DO serve healthier foods now, fruit and yogurt everywhere. The fruit goes bad while they can't stock the ice cream Mickeys quickly enough. Sad, but true.

Epcot for the beer. :wink:

And they do have grilled meats and salads as options in the park restaurants. I went with my family in 2010 and was able to make good choices at all of the Disney parks I visited. But we did indulge in the Mickey ice cream bars once a day...yum! :love:
    I agree with all of the posters here that say it is up to the parents to help their children. I try to limit the salty and sugary snacks for my kiddos and always have lots of fruit choices and other better snacks around...not to say they are never allowed sweets, just in moderation. I want them to learn at an early age to make better choices than I did, so they do not have to struggle with their weight like I am now!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    This country has gone to hell. God forbid we should set good examples! Instead we practice "acceptance" so no one has to do anything hard. Nothing great was achieved without hard work and it's no surprise that we are falling behind in every single category.

Faaawk.

This for sure. God forbid anyone should be offended about anything. God forbid that anyone should lose at anything. The "I showed up" awards for kids are out of control, as well as the acceptance of everything. Sometimes you need to be told that you are fat, or stinky or lazy, or whatnot....

I was raised to be tough and if you want it, do it yourself. You take all the bad in with the good. If you don't succeed, get back up. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on. In general, our societal ideals are way too wimpy.
  • ZarrX86
    ZarrX86 Posts: 38
    Options
    The exhibit should take shots at the parents but they're the ones spending the money so that's not going to happen.

Personally, I agree with this.

Whilst the exhibit did sound ok it is really obese kids who will bear the brunt of the teasing / stigma rather than the parents who are making poor choices on their behalf.

"Shaming" children won't work except in the minority of case in my view.

Very true. The kids aren't the ones buying the food in the house. Parents aren't parents anymore in America. They're friends to their kids. Remove the junk food from the house, remove the Xbox, the Wii, whatever and make your kids do something besides sit in front of the TV. YOU ARE THE PARENT FOR GOD's SAKE.

But the way I see it, many parents are not going to change. So sometimes kids have to count on themselves and make their own healthy choices unfortunately. And i think encouraging them to get active is a great idea

it is a great idea, but how can a kid know he needs to make a change if his parents eat terribly and they buy terrible food. Kids have no other example to follow but that of their parents. and at some point the kid is going to have to make his own changes but if the parent instilled a healthier lifestyle from the get go then the kid would be fine. A kid cant go out and decide he wants a grilled chicken sandwhich instead of fried chicken and gravy, if thats what moms making thats what your eating.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Hell nah. I know sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many thin people who eat *kitten*. EVERYONE should be healthy, not just fat kids. Gtfo.
    Agreed. Having a six pack equals healthy. What a load of ****.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options

habit_heroes-460x307.jpg

She does! Wish I had a magic wand shooting out donuts and cupcakes... :love:

And she can fly! :)
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    Bottom line, skinny does not always equal healthy and fat does not always equal unhealthy. Read up on the Edmonton Obesity Staging System and the studies surrounding it.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, skinny does not always equal healthy and fat does not always equal unhealthy. Read up on the Edmonton Obesity Staging System and the studies surrounding it.

I've read most of the posts on this thread and I'm tired of reading this excuse. Yes we know skinny isn't always healthy but please explain to me when FAT is healthy??!! I can never think of a time when someone was called fat and that meant healthy.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised we are being forced to except any wrong life style that comes down the road.
  • AntWrig
    Options

Faaawk.

I can see the same argument being used towards minorities.

Anyway, the image of fat has changed over time. So, I really don't see the big deal. They should be accepted as human beings instead of being labeled as fat. If they choose to be over weight then so be it. How is that messing with your life?

Ever sit next to an extremely obese person on an airplane? Also, health care costs have increased significantly in part due to the rampant obesity related illnesses in this country. As we keep getting fatter, there ARE negative impacts on society as a whole. Just sayin.
    I have.

Okay, I can see healthcare cost. But were talking about being accepted as people and not fat people.

Regarding healthcare. Maybe they should give me credit for trying to be healthy. Oh wait...
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I'm not surprised we are being forced to except any wrong life style that comes down the road.
    Oh wow.

Being overweight is now being "wrong". Please explain to the class the "right" life style.
  • archgrrrl
    archgrrrl Posts: 62
    Options

I've read most of the posts on this thread and I'm tired of reading this excuse. Yes we know skinny isn't always healthy but please explain to me when FAT is healthy??!! I can never think of a time when someone was called fat and that meant healthy.

Did you read the post from the parent of a 9 year old "chubby" girl who plays soccer and does hapkido, eats healthfully and still gets picked on at school for being "fat"? Sounds healthy to me!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

I've read most of the posts on this thread and I'm tired of reading this excuse. Yes we know skinny isn't always healthy but please explain to me when FAT is healthy??!! I can never think of a time when someone was called some fat and that meant healthy.

People who are overweight and claim to be healthy often cite normal bloodwork (healthy cholesterol levels, blood pressure, etc.), but what they don't realize is that the real risk is the long term damage to the body caused by excess fat. Long-term obesity more than doubles the risk of certain types of cancers on top of the numerous long-term cardiovascular issues associated with it. This doesn't even address the issue of quality of life. If you are carrying so much weight that you can't go do fun things with your family, can't walk around the block, can't stand up or sit down without pain, you've lost a lot of your quality of life there. That's the saddest part about it all. I don't think there should be any promotion of this lifestyle as "normal" or "healthy" at all.
This discussion has been closed.