Ugh, The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I think I may send ol NAAFA a link to my latest blog entry ...

(Maybe they will electronically picket me. That'd be cool. Ha!)
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    It's like elementary school contests, where everyone gets an award, even the losers...
    They're called participation ribbons. I wanna see a kid who has a wall full of participation ribbons. Probably won't happen because its not an accomplishment. Instead of "accepting" obesity how about doing something about it.

i think pretty much everyone who has posted on this board are batting for the same team. i think the issue with so much controversy is at what point can a person be expected to 'do something about it'. adults, sure, can try and fix things, like everyone on here. but what would you suggest a nine year old do? they are pretty much harnessed to their parents' habits until they can leave the house of get a job and buy their own food.

I award you a participation ribbon:flowerforyou:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeIEEBYPLbKTVjJ7tm_z0tTmava63pw4CH03_Kn4-_x7qeNRYY
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    This is the reply of a person who clearly did not grow up in poverty but wants to say they did to add credibility to their post. No one who has ever had to work two jobs just to get by would say it is just as easy to make healthy food as it is to go to McDonalds and that does not ever consider the cost.

If you really want to eat a healthy diet then it is far more expensive and time consuming than eating fast foods. In this country, a lot of people want to think they grew up poor because they could not afford to go to Mexico on spring break. Real poverty is a much different thing.

To say having no time and no money and no safe place to get exericse are not excuses to be fat is to shout oout to the world that you have never lived that life.

You have no idea what my background is or how I grew up, so I'd appreciate you not making those assumptions. I was taught not to use my circumstances as an excuse to live poorly and to always do the best with what I have, period. If you think that means I'm lying about growing up poor, whatever. Like I said, you have no idea.

If you really want a REASONABLY healthy diet and are living in poverty it CAN be done, and it's not all that hard. Canned vegetables are cheap, as are many in-season fresh vegetables, which I am aware are not available cheaply in all areas. Rice is cheap, potatoes are cheap, beans are cheap, whole chickens are cheap, as are chicken breasts in bulk. Seasonings are not cheap, but a little can go a very long way. Ramen noodles can even be made reasonably healthy if they're cooked in chicken broth (also cheap) and seasoned with salt and pepper rather than that god awful seasoning packet. Many people living in poverty also have some assistance like food stamps, and it's possible to buy reasonably healthy food with food stamps. I'm not denying that it's very difficult, if not impossible, to eat an optimally healthy diet with very little money for food.. but a reasonably healthy diet is an entirely different story.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    It's like elementary school contests, where everyone gets an award, even the losers...
    They're called participation ribbons. I wanna see a kid who has a wall full of participation ribbons. Probably won't happen because its not an accomplishment. Instead of "accepting" obesity how about doing something about it.

i think pretty much everyone who has posted on this board are batting for the same team. i think the issue with so much controversy is at what point can a person be expected to 'do something about it'. adults, sure, can try and fix things, like everyone on here. but what would you suggest a nine year old do? they are pretty much harnessed to their parents' habits until they can leave the house of get a job and buy their own food.

I award you a participation ribbon:flowerforyou:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeIEEBYPLbKTVjJ7tm_z0tTmava63pw4CH03_Kn4-_x7qeNRYY

oh! thank you - i'm thrilled! i would hang it up with all my others, but luckily, i came before that generation so this one's my first! hurray! :drinker:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    This is the reply of a person who clearly did not grow up in poverty but wants to say they did to add credibility to their post. No one who has ever had to work two jobs just to get by would say it is just as easy to make healthy food as it is to go to McDonalds and that does not ever consider the cost.

If you really want to eat a healthy diet then it is far more expensive and time consuming than eating fast foods. In this country, a lot of people want to think they grew up poor because they could not afford to go to Mexico on spring break. Real poverty is a much different thing.

To say having no time and no money and no safe place to get exericse are not excuses to be fat is to shout oout to the world that you have never lived that life.

You have no idea what my background is or how I grew up, so I'd appreciate you not making those assumptions. I was taught not to use my circumstances as an excuse to live poorly and to always do the best with what I have, period. If you think that means I'm lying about growing up poor, whatever. Like I said, you have no idea.

If you really want a REASONABLY healthy diet and are living in poverty it CAN be done, and it's not all that hard. Canned vegetables are cheap, as are many in-season fresh vegetables, which I am aware are not available cheaply in all areas. Rice is cheap, potatoes are cheap, beans are cheap, whole chickens are cheap, as are chicken breasts in bulk. Seasonings are not cheap, but a little can go a very long way. Ramen noodles can even be made reasonably healthy if they're cooked in chicken broth (also cheap) and seasoned with salt and pepper rather than that god awful seasoning packet. Many people living in poverty also have some assistance like food stamps, and it's possible to buy reasonably healthy food with food stamps. I'm not denying that it's very difficult, if not impossible, to eat an optimally healthy diet with very little money for food.. but a reasonably healthy diet is an entirely different story.

My aunt get so much money in food stamps that she lets us have 150 dollars to help us out from time to time....and she buys all the chips and junk and still has THAT much left over......But one summer i did lose 40 pounds because all i ate was top ramen and we had no cable so my girlfriend and i just walked EVERYWHERE just to kill time....if you want to lose weight, you will find ways, poor or rich
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

You don't know what you are talking about.

I grew up in a poor area. You had liquor stores, carry outs and fast food places on every corner. The "supermarket" was loaded with canned veggies, chips and the like.

If you don't have a car good luck.
  • Okieace
    Okieace Posts: 56
    Options
    I certainly don't favor this group. But seriously, when I go to Disney I don't want to be preached about lifestyles. I'm pretty sure these types of things has Walt rolling in his grave.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I really hope someone else besides me googled images of Peggy Howell...

Who is Peggy Howell

Re-read the original post
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wish Disney would serve healthier foods within their parks.

And beer.

Sorry...I didn't read this whole string, however, I was at Disney in California last June. They had totally healthy food choices and beer all over the place. Both at Disney and California Adventure. I was a WAY happy camper!

:)
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    This country has gone to hell. God forbid we should set good examples! Instead we practice "acceptance" so no one has to do anything hard. Nothing great was achieved without hard work and it's no surprise that we are falling behind in every single category.

Faaawk.

This for sure. God forbid anyone should be offended about anything. God forbid that anyone should lose at anything. The "I showed up" awards for kids are out of control, as well as the acceptance of everything. Sometimes you need to be told that you are fat, or stinky or lazy, or whatnot....
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't favor this group. But seriously, when I go to Disney I don't want to be preached about lifestyles. I'm pretty sure these types of things has Walt rolling in his grave.

No, allowing African American people and Jewish people to go to Disney World has Walt rolling in his grave.

FYI--Walt Disney was a huge racist and anti-semite (in case y'all didn't know)
  • archgrrrl
    archgrrrl Posts: 62
    Options
    [/quote]If you really want a REASONABLY healthy diet and are living in poverty it CAN be done, and it's not all that hard. Canned vegetables are cheap, as are many in-season fresh vegetables, which I am aware are not available cheaply in all areas. Rice is cheap, potatoes are cheap, beans are cheap, whole chickens are cheap, as are chicken breasts in bulk. Seasonings are not cheap, but a little can go a very long way. Ramen noodles can even be made reasonably healthy if they're cooked in chicken broth (also cheap) and seasoned with salt and pepper rather than that god awful seasoning packet. Many people living in poverty also have some assistance like food stamps, and it's possible to buy reasonably healthy food with food stamps. I'm not denying that it's very difficult, if not impossible, to eat an optimally healthy diet with very little money for food.. but a reasonably healthy diet is an entirely different story.
    [/quote]

A "reasonably" healthy diet IS hard if you don't have access to purchase those "cheap" foods you mention (lots of those living in poverty don't have a way to get to a grocery store), or the time or energy to prepare them. If your family was able to take a difficult situation and work hard to ensure you all ate a reasonably healthy diet, that's awesome! Not all families living in poverty are able to make it work despite their best efforts.

You are absolutely right that it is very difficlt, if not impossible, to eat an optimally healthy diet while living in poverty conditions.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    This country has gone to hell. God forbid we should set good examples! Instead we practice "acceptance" so no one has to do anything hard. Nothing great was achieved without hard work and it's no surprise that we are falling behind in every single category.

Faaawk.

This for sure. God forbid anyone should be offended about anything. God forbid that anyone should lose at anything. The "I showed up" awards for kids are out of control, as well as the acceptance of everything. Sometimes you need to be told that you are fat, or stinky or lazy, or whatnot....
    I can see the same argument being used towards minorities.

Anyway, the image of fat has changed over time. So, I really don't see the big deal. They should be accepted as human beings instead of being labeled as fat. If they choose to be over weight then so be it. How is that messing with your life?
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

I grew up in a poor area. You had liquor stores, carry outs and fast food places on every corner. The "supermarket" was loaded with canned veggies, chips and the like.

A child could eat a fast food meal for dinner every day and still not be obese. I GET that the quality of food is abhorrent in most poor areas. Obesity in the poor doesn't JUST come from eating junk, it comes from overeating junk because it's cheap and accessible. Have to feed your kid fast food? Fine. Have to feed your kid fast food to the point where they're obese? Not fine. It's common freaking sense.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

No, allowing African American people and Jewish people to go to Disney World has Walt rolling in his grave.

That's an urban legend. I've researched that one.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    As a parent of a 9 year old "chubby" girl this is a hard one. She is in soccer and does hapkido 3 days a week. I pack her healthy lunches because the hot lunch options at school are too grasy and unhealthy. I alwys have a bowl of fruit out that is the "help yourself" bowl, and we play wii together (wii fit or just dance) and still she gets picked on at school for being "FAT". I also have a friend that pushed her daughter too far and has recently caught her vomiting after eating. Long story short...we all just want to do whats best for our kids so that they are happy and healthy.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

That's an urban legend. I've researched that one.

Eh I dunno. I mean, it was pretty normal to be a racist bigot back when he was alive...
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

I don't know if you live near an Ocean State Job Lot but seasonings are 89 cents a bottle there. :-)
  • AntWrig
    Options

A child could eat a fast food meal for dinner every day and still not be obese. I GET that the quality of food is abhorrent in most poor areas. Obesity in the poor doesn't JUST come from eating junk, it comes from overeating junk because it's cheap and accessible. Have to feed your kid fast food? Fine. Have to feed your kid fast food to the point where they're obese? Not fine. It's common freaking sense.
    When 3 checkers(rallys) burgers are $1.50. You have 3 kids and work at a min wage. You decide.

Of course it's calories in vs calories out. However, look at the calories of those burgers.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

When my father was in grad school and driving a school bus and my mother was working any temp job she could find and we lived in one of the poorest parts of town while I was a baby, with three cats and a dog to feed and vet and my parents were on food stamps, they managed to buy and prepare healthy foods at home every day.

A friend of mine who was a SAHM of three girls with a husband who did not make a lot of money managed to feed them all healthy, home-cooked meals using food stamps with extra food stamps left over every month.

*I* was a single, teenage mother trying to finish high school and college and managed to cook healthy foods for my daughter and me and not go broke and still had time for a job and full-time college (including homework).

It most certainly can be done. And I AM speaking from experience.

However, I think it's sad that everyone assumes that people who are overweight eat junk and sit in front of the television all day. My mother has been overweight her entire life. She eats the healthiest diet of anyone I know and when she was younger, she walked or rode a bicycle EVERYWHERE.

She is an emotional eater and she ate too much HEALTHY food.
This discussion has been closed.