Ugh, The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Funny how people are up in arms about body shaming fat people,but its totally ok when someone posts one of those hotter than pics totally shaming thin people and people fill pages an pages with comments like "LOVE" and ewwwww look at the skeletons

Yes overweight kids get teased but you know what ALL kids get teased weather it be for weight,glasses ,clothes ect ect.
    Maybe we need to stop shoving this polticly correct acceptance *kitten* down everyones throats because you know what EVERYONE judges and everyone gets judged. We need to teach our kids not to base their self worth on what others think of them.

seriously how many of you have looked at someone and said"oh she needs to eat a sandwhich"
    how many of you have judged peoples clothes,spelling,grocery carts,food diaries,what they logg as exercise ect ect .world acceptance for weight or anything is something that will NEVER happen,just like world peace

I was an overweight teenager who was teased relentlessly about my weight. I was obese by the time I was 16, and I used to have people throw food at me. There were periods in my life where I had literally 0 friends, and I tried to take my own life because I was so depressed. When I was at my biggest I honestly didn't think I'd make it past the age of 30, and I didn't care.

I've never made fun of an underweight or slim person. I don't think it's appropriate to tease people at all. Don't justify fat bashing by saying 'well sometimes they make fun of thin people' - it's bad either way and shouldn't happen.

I didnt justify it,also my very best friend in junior high was very tall and very thin,she also had food thrown at her called skeletor,teased relentlessly she commited suicide its not exclusive to fat people. I was teased relentlessy about my speech problem (think elmer fudd meets the priest from the princess bride) i was also teased relentlessly about my very old messed up clothes the fact that my parents had no money,the diffrence between me and my friend i didnt give a ****.she was my ONLY friend BTW

once again i never justified fat bashing i think you might be reading more into what i said than what was there and seriously if you have NEVER judged someone for how they look you are lying EVERYONE does its basic human nature

It's not human nature, and not everyone does it. You can't excuse bigotry by saying "everyone does it" and "it's human nature." Psychology has proved conclusively that they don't and it isn't.

I didnt excuse it so stop putting words in my mouth I SAID everyone has judged someone else based on apperance and if they said they havent they are lying. The point I was making is that everyone gets picked on everyone gets judged its not exclusive to overweight people. I personally got way more crap from people when I weighed 110 versus 230. everyone has it tough,it has always been this way show me a time in history when it hasnt. earliest recorded history shows bigotry and people being judged for religion,race,body,sexual orientation,rich or poor,and on and on funny for something that psycholgoy has proven isnt normal. me saying it is not excusing it just pointing it out. we can not change the world reacacts to us only the way we react to the worlds reaction

And I still call bullsh!t. The world HAS demonstrably changed, and it can and will keep changing as long as we refuse to accept intolerance.
    really how has the world changed? there is still racism people cant marry for love people are judged for thier religion their sexual orientation,if they are homeless,if they are a single mom. if its not one thing its another. you can refuse to accept intolerance all you want but it will always exist in some form or another. My original point which was twisted was people are way more accepting of skinny bashing than fat,you see it time an time again on this site alone people saying things about skinny girls they would NEVER say about heavy ones. I firmly belive that the biggest problem we face is that we are raising our kids to care to much what others think of them. People are becoming more and more over sensitive to EVERYTHING someone is always offended. This is not a happy happy joy joy world,it never has been and never will be.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    unbelievable, fat acceptance. Are we supposed to pretend that being overweight and obese isn't unhealthy. After having 3 kids I found myself 20 lbs into the obese category. I'm ashamed of myself for letting it get this bad. I speak openly with my almost 5 and 3 year old about my weightloss and exercise. I want them to know that my weight and lack of exercise was unhealthy. I feel very fortunate that my children are healthy and active and that I'm getting my weight under control while they are still young.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    unbelievable, fat acceptance. Are we supposed to pretend that being overweight and obese isn't unhealthy. After having 3 kids I found myself 20 lbs into the obese category. I'm ashamed of myself for letting it get this bad. I speak openly with my almost 5 and 3 year old about my weightloss and exercise. I want them to know that my weight and lack of exercise was unhealthy. I feel very fortunate that my children are healthy and active and that I'm getting my weight under control while they are still young.

I think it's not about pretending that obesity is healthy, it's about not belittling fat people or making them feel like second class citizens because of their weight.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    People who are keying off on the name of the organization please at least go to http://www.naafaonline.com/dev2/ and look through the website a little bit. If you still disagree with the message that's fine...but I'm certain many haven't and are just speculating as to what the group is about based on a single word in their title. It will make any kind of debate less asinine.

To folks referencing everyone getting bullied. I do believe that's a slippery slope. Saying 'everyone does it' rather than fighting to change things is how some of the worst atrocities in history happened. I'm not saying this is going to cause a mass obesicide or anything, just that commonality doesn't excuse you from responsibility for your actions. Doing something wrong is no less wrong just because more people are doing it.

People are going to be offended by things, and others are not. The roots of that anger, in my opinion, are often highly personal and deeply linked in that person's own life. That really makes it difficult to effectively debate with any hope of swaying someone's opinion one way or another. Some people will be offended by lead bottom...others won't. I'm personally not offended by the exhibit, but if someone else is they have every right to be.

What's more reasonable to discuss, again in my opinion, is the effectiveness of the exhibit at delivering its message and effecting real change.

For folks who haven't, please at least try to do some research before assuming what something is about. I had done some, but apparently not enough. The disney official site is no longer up and all I had been able to find was pictures of the snacking, gluttony, and lazy villians and the two heroes, both which seemed to line up with the 'fat people being made into villians skinny people made into heroes' idea. I just found this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108811/Disneys-tool-shame-Florida-resorts-Habit-Heroes-attraction-closed-accused-stigmatizing-fat-kids.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Noting that Insecura is a villain and is obviously not being portrayed as fat, I take back some of what I said previously. I still believe it holds that just because someone is fat doesn't mean they are less healthy than someone who is skinny, and vice versa.

To get back to the effectiveness of the exhibit, I still think that it would have been ineffective in promoting healthier lifestyles in children. I think that tying certain types of people or certain body types to negative personalities reinforces negative stereotypes. In children especially, making all fat kids lazy gluttons or all extremely skinny kids emo has the effect of fostering an environment where those children are ostracized for their appearance. Whether it would have happened anyway for some other reason or whether the cause of their physical appearance is their own doing or not is irrelevant, I still believe the associations will cause the mockery. I relate that, in a slightly more direct and extreme example, to screaming at someone who is having trouble with math that they're stupid and worthless because they can't solve the problem like everyone else. A very common reaction to this kind of abuse is to shut down completely, and withdraw emotionally from the situation. That certainly didn't help the kid learn math. It doesn't matter if the kid couldn't do the problem because he had decided to stay up all night the night before watching TV, the actions of the person yelling still didn't help the situation.

I don't really care if the exhibit offended parents, they can deal with it or not go. I also am not as concerned with the actual mockery caused by the exhibit, I feel that children can and will be awful wicked with or without Disney's help. What I do think, based on what little information I was able to find on the exhibit in my internet search (which, it is fair to say, was not an exhaustive vetting), is that the exhibit would not have caused more children to eat healthy, and as a result of the aforementioned mockery, could actually worsen the situation. If the creator's goal was to foster a positive attitude towards living a healthier life, I don't think he or she succeeded in that endeavor.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    really how has the world changed? there is still racism people cant marry for love people are judged for thier religion their sexual orientation,if they are homeless,if they are a single mom. if its not one thing its another. you can refuse to accept intolerance all you want but it will always exist in some form or another. My original point which was twisted was people are way more accepting of skinny bashing than fat,you see it time an time again on this site alone people saying things about skinny girls they would NEVER say about heavy ones. I firmly belive that the biggest problem we face is that we are raising our kids to care to much what others think of them. People are becoming more and more over sensitive to EVERYTHING someone is always offended. This is not a happy happy joy joy world,it never has been and never will be.

I personally disagree with you that skinny bashing is more accepted than fat, but I don't have statistics to confirm one way or another so I think this is probably something we will just have to disagree on.

You're correct, they're a lot inequalities in the world today, but that doesn't make them ok, nor does it justify the folks who reinforce or take advantage of those disparities.

I also believe there are worse things being imparted in today's youth than sensitivity, but I also find reasonable the argument that political correctness has gotten out of hand.

My other post pretty much sums up anything else I'd have to say beyond this.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I always find it hysterical to come into these threads and watch former or current fat people criticize other people who haven't made perms ant change. The WORST is the current fat people as they haven't even practiced what they preach! They're still overweight! I will never ever judge a fat person for not being ready to lose weight. Weight loss is HARD WORK. I've failed at it many times. I have days that I have to force myself to continue with it. Sometimes I don't. But degrading people who haven't done what you have is horrible.

I got abused at the gym today. This is the second time it's happened at my gym. The first time I cried and left. This time I ripped into the *kitten* (and cried after he left) That *kitten* has NO IDEA what I've done and how much weight I've lost. (I whipped out my phone to show him where I've been) No-one has any right to make someone feel like ****. Or to not give them a job because of how they look. That's what that organization is about.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

I personally disagree with you that skinny bashing is more accepted than fat, but I don't have statistics to confirm one way or another so I think this is probably something we will just have to disagree on.

You're correct, they're a lot inequalities in the world today, but that doesn't make them ok, nor does it justify the folks who reinforce or take advantage of those disparities.

I also believe there are worse things being imparted in today's youth than sensitivity, but I also find reasonable the argument that political correctness has gotten out of hand.

Maybe around here it's more acceptable but I can tell you how much changed when I lost weight. More job opportunities, more friends, people nicer, I didn't get ignored when I was waiting to be served, I didn't get laughed at when I went to buy something to eat or have someone yell "whale" at me when I walked down the street. Oh but I am sure slim people get that sort of thing ALL the time.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to reanfource to kids the benefits of eating right and excersize, it's another thing to make it out that "fat" people are vilians, so what a kid that has a over weight mom get's to think her mom is just like the villain?

I am all for teaching kids healthy eating habits and excersize but if what this article say's is true then that's CRAP, I will spend my money to go to knotts berry farm instead

oh and I was a over weight kid but I was super active, I just eat a lot of fast food and candy,as a kid I was made fun of for being over weight, and it didn't motivate me to loose weight it caused me to cut myself and eat out of self loathing, way to go Disney you piss of dog pop
  • gnrduff1
    gnrduff1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I think it's not about pretending that obesity is healthy, it's about not belittling fat people or making them feel like second class citizens because of their weight.

Holy poop on a stick someone finally gets it!
  • Barbara98
    Barbara98 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Also...

I think it's the parents job to do the educating on health, though we know how well that works with a lot of families. I have already heard my 7 year old daughter criticizing fat people and that is just wrong! She told me that they must drink a lot of milk because school told her that milk makes people fat, and that she didn't want to drink milk anymore. Amongst other things I've heard her say.

I like the idea of the exhibit, I just wish it wasn't the overweight characters that were the villains, rather, the foods themselves should be the villains.

I work in a school cafeteria. I have worked cooking food for kids for almost 10 years. ALOT has changed in the way we cook and how much the kids have. They get 3oz's of meat unless they have cheese which is another protien. They have two vegetables 1/4c each to choose from every day and fruit. We barely do any frying anymore everything is baked. They are getting more strict with these standards next year they are uping the amount from a 1/4 cup of vegetables to 1/2 cup also with the fruit. Its going to be more fresh fruit and vegetables. We also serve 1% milk and skim. The children have a choice. In our school we have what you call a offer verses serve program. Were we cup up all vegetables and fruit on the line and the children grab what they want. I work in a k-2 school and i can tell you some of these kids have not even seen some of these vegetables that we put on the line cause i assume the parents don't serve vegetables at home. Alot of kids are really picky about what they pick up on the line. In my experience in working as a cook in a school kitchen and i've worked highschool and primary is that Its not really the schools making these kids fat. Its not having physical education everyday and after elementary school they have no physical activity unless you pick it as a class for a credit and thats only required 2 years. I have seen that school meals which are getting more healthier are sometimes the only meal that some children get all day. Society has got to busy to go home and cook a meal. And its really surprising of how many women can't cook cause they rely on fast food or take out or they say they don't know how to cook. Take out a cook book. If you can read you can cook! So what if its not like the picture. The sad thing is, is this only meal that some children get everyday is getting so expensive for public schools to make. The standards that have to be implemented by 2014 is going to put kitchens so over budget that i'm afraid its going to put school cafeterias the thing of the past. All menus are going to be made i assume by a nutritionalist cause each meal is going to be so many calories. I guess the point that i'm trying to make is... People say its schools that make the kids fat. Ahhh Nooooo... It begins at home. Parents need to make salads and vegetables and start them at a early age eating them. Also you parents out there if you don't like a vegetable or any food for that matter, Don't react with a EWWWW or YuK. Kids copy what there parents do. Suck it up and eat it or hide it without you childrens seeing. Also get them involved in sports or take them to the park, get them walking at a greenway. Get them active. Why do parents let there children stay in front of the tv and gaming system all day? To get them out of there hair! Y'all need to get involved. I'm not saying all parents are like what i've described above. When my son was a teenager the first thing he would do is come home and eat something cause he was so hungry. I think parents need to start visiting their school cafeteria especially next year when all the standards are implemented. Before y'all start blaming the school cafeterias look at your own standards of what you do at home. Be accountable! :smile: Ohh and shame on that cafeteria for telling that child that. I can guarantee that would NEVER happen at our school!
  • DieVixen
    Options

Maybe around here it's more acceptable but I can tell you how much changed when I lost weight. More job opportunities, more friends, people nicer, I didn't get ignored when I was waiting to be served, I didn't get laughed at when I went to buy something to eat or have someone yell "whale" at me when I walked down the street. Oh but I am sure slim people get that sort of thing ALL the time.

Lots of people have it bad not just you and yeah most of the people Ive known in my life that are really thin naturally do get it everywhere they go. you are not the only one in the world that has suffered and there are plenty of people who have had it just as bad as you for diffrent reasons. it is not exculsive to those that are overweight. and when you lost weight i bet your attitude change as well,more cofidance ect people react to that.
    I have been obese and I have been underweight,when i was underweight i had people tell me i need to go eat a hamburger,i had people ask how i ever found a boyfriend because "only dogs like bones".
    I am not say people dont get *kitten* for being overweight but they get just as much for being under or being gay,or being an atheist,or being poor,or having a speech speech impediment
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Funny how people are up in arms about body shaming fat people,but its totally ok when someone posts one of those hotter than pics totally shaming thin people and people fill pages an pages with comments like "LOVE" and ewwwww look at the skeletons

Yes overweight kids get teased but you know what ALL kids get teased weather it be for weight,glasses ,clothes ect ect.
    Maybe we need to stop shoving this polticly correct acceptance *kitten* down everyones throats because you know what EVERYONE judges and everyone gets judged. We need to teach our kids not to base their self worth on what others think of them.

seriously how many of you have looked at someone and said"oh she needs to eat a sandwhich"
    how many of you have judged peoples clothes,spelling,grocery carts,food diaries,what they logg as exercise ect ect .world acceptance for weight or anything is something that will NEVER happen,just like world peace

I was an overweight teenager who was teased relentlessly about my weight. I was obese by the time I was 16, and I used to have people throw food at me. There were periods in my life where I had literally 0 friends, and I tried to take my own life because I was so depressed. When I was at my biggest I honestly didn't think I'd make it past the age of 30, and I didn't care.

I've never made fun of an underweight or slim person. I don't think it's appropriate to tease people at all. Don't justify fat bashing by saying 'well sometimes they make fun of thin people' - it's bad either way and shouldn't happen.

I didnt justify it,also my very best friend in junior high was very tall and very thin,she also had food thrown at her called skeletor,teased relentlessly she commited suicide its not exclusive to fat people. I was teased relentlessy about my speech problem (think elmer fudd meets the priest from the princess bride) i was also teased relentlessly about my very old messed up clothes the fact that my parents had no money,the diffrence between me and my friend i didnt give a ****.she was my ONLY friend BTW

once again i never justified fat bashing i think you might be reading more into what i said than what was there and seriously if you have NEVER judged someone for how they look you are lying EVERYONE does its basic human nature

It's not human nature, and not everyone does it. You can't excuse bigotry by saying "everyone does it" and "it's human nature." Psychology has proved conclusively that they don't and it isn't.

I didnt excuse it so stop putting words in my mouth I SAID everyone has judged someone else based on apperance and if they said they havent they are lying. The point I was making is that everyone gets picked on everyone gets judged its not exclusive to overweight people. I personally got way more crap from people when I weighed 110 versus 230. everyone has it tough,it has always been this way show me a time in history when it hasnt. earliest recorded history shows bigotry and people being judged for religion,race,body,sexual orientation,rich or poor,and on and on funny for something that psycholgoy has proven isnt normal. me saying it is not excusing it just pointing it out. we can not change the world reacacts to us only the way we react to the worlds reaction

And I still call bullsh!t. The world HAS demonstrably changed, and it can and will keep changing as long as we refuse to accept intolerance.

We have become entirely too tolerant as a society. Everybody has a bullsh*t excuse for everything and it's politically incorrect to call anyone out because we have to be "tolerant" of everything. Where do we draw the line? Do we start tolerating criminal activity because most people who commit crimes have mental health issues? I know that *seems* like a huge jump, but there ARE people out there who feel that way. It seems like there's no right and wrong anymore, only a huge gray area.

That can't be good.
  • DieVixen
    Options

We have become entirely too tolerant as a society. Everybody has a bullsh*t excuse for everything and it's politically incorrect to call anyone out because we have to be "tolerant" of everything. Where do we draw the line? Do we start tolerating criminal activity because most people who commit crimes have mental health issues? I know that *seems* like a huge jump, but there ARE people out there who feel that way. It seems like there's no right and wrong anymore, only a huge gray area.

That can't be good.

EXACTLY.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Such a stupid thing to advocate.... Fat Acceptance? I see Fat Acceptance as a bunch of people basically saying yes they're fat, and no they're not going to do anything about it, and rather than spending all that extra energy getting their bodies in shape they form organizations trying to convince people that being fat is OK as they continue to eat themselves into an early grave.

Have you gone to their website and looked at their mission or are you just going off their choice of title?

Yeah. Because their vision statement: "A society in which people of every size are accepted with dignity and equality in all aspects of life" is something to look down upon. If you have made choices the poster disapprove of you don't deserve dignity or equality.

Ofcourse everyone shold be treated with respect! One of the things I saw on their website was that no one overweight should be discriminated against for a job. Guess the U.S. Army should start allowing morbidly obese recruits. Wouldn't want to upset this organization.

You know, I'm disabled. I walk with crutches. The US Army doesn't have to hire me, because I can't perform the "essential functions of the job" of being a soldier. That's not discrimination. But the job I do, computer programming, I CAN perform "the essential functions of the job." Should they have the right to choose not to hire me because they don't like the idea of me representing the company because I need crutches? If this hypothetical fat person of yours can pass the Army's physical, s/he should ABSOLUTELY be allowed to be a soldier. If not, s/he can't perform "the essential functions of the job" and not hiring them is not discrimination. And s/he should be allowed to do a job like mine as well, even if the boss thinks fat is "ugly" or isn't how he'd like his company represented. THAT'S what NAAFA wants to prevent. Do you disagree? Should a qualified fat person, or a disabled person like me, be denied a job because someone doesn't like fat people or "cripples?"

See, I don't think you really believe fat people deserve to be treated with respect. I suspect you don't care for "cripples" much either. You seem pretty focused on perfect health...

LMAO! Now I hate cripples. You are really reaching for straws there pal. I don't respect lazyness or excuses. Got it? As long as we are making assumptions I am sure you are full of both.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options

That can't be good.

obese people are not criminals. it's weird to me that you are tying this discussion into moral issues. perhaps the line could be drawn at keeping to your own personal endeavors and butting out of everyone else's.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fine, let the obese people stay obese. Consider it population control, for when they all die off way younger than they should due to the myriad health problems they will have, and then once they're gone, insurance rates should go back down because we won't have to pay for them anymore. I can only assume this must be the answer that people arguing against telling obese people that they are unhealthy must want, because that's the end result of "fat acceptance." :huh:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Like alcoholism, drug use and other "self destructive diseases" our society took a down turn when suddenly these problems were recognized as "diseases" and that those people should be treated as handicapped or accepted for their condition.

You didn't get exposed to some chemical that caused you to eat more, or to take that drink of alcohol or to inject that drug into your arm. You did it by making a choice. Now, for the small population with thyroid problems, that is a recognizable disease but to say its genetics that is such a fallacy it is not even funny. I come from a big family, yeah... I do... and they eat a lot of food. They aren't big because of some sort of genetic thing that makes them gain weight by eating apples.

Our society is changing, it is no longer survival of the fittest competition it is a nation of acceptance and the general pussification of America.

Yeah I am fat, but I didn't realize this until recently and expect no acceptance of what I have done to myself. My choices have lead to my health and the fact that I am a contributing factor as to why insurance rates are higher, as to why furniture is broken etc. I am doing something about it and it makes me sick that such organizations exist, but hey it is America and every body wants to be loved. The concept of discrimination is so skewed now it is not even funny. Discrimination is based on sex, race, religion and the truly disabled, being fat unless you have a thyroid or other medical problem is not a disability it is a choice that you continue to make.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

That can't be good.

obese people are not criminals. it's weird to me that you are tying this discussion into moral issues. perhaps the line could be drawn at keeping to your own personal endeavors and butting out of everyone else's.

Obesity is largely, although not entirely, a moral issue. Gluttony isn't looked upon favorably in most cultures. ETA: My point in my previous post was that once we start accepting the behaviors that cause people to be obese, it's a slippery slope. There's a HUGE difference between being tolerant of people for something they cannot control (i.e. race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, etc.), but for the overwhelming majority of people obesity is caused by poor behavioral choices. People who make poor choices should NOT be considered a protected group in the same category as race, gender, etc. It blows my mind.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

That can't be good.

He/She wasn't saying obese people are criminals. You know exactly what that post meant. And obesity is everyone's business because it's a major factor in health care/insurance costs, which affects EVERYONE!! So unless they start making different prices for obese and the non-obese I'll continue to make it my business.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options

That can't be good.

Obesity is largely, although not entirely, a moral issue. Gluttony isn't looked upon favorably in most cultures. ETA: My point in my previous post was that once we start accepting the behaviors that cause people to be obese, it's a slippery slope. There's a HUGE difference between being tolerant of people for something they cannot control (i.e. race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, etc.), but for the overwhelming majority of people obesity is caused by poor behavioral choices. People who make poor choices should NOT be considered a protected group in the same category as race, gender, etc. It blows my mind.

thanks for the clarification - i can roll with that.
This discussion has been closed.