Friends Who Actually Comment!

Options

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I hope the friends I have on MFP realize I have a full time job, I work out, I'm a mom and a grandma. Sometimes life just gets in the way of making a comment on every status update.

It's nothing personal. We all lead busy lives. I not offended when people don't acknowledge my updates. My hope is they're not offended when I don't comment on ones they post.
  • tcpowell25
    tcpowell25 Posts: 292
    Options
    I agree with you. I just cleaned out my friends list yesterday for this same thing. I feel like if I can take a moment out of my day to support everyone on my list (even the ones who don't log on for a while) then do me the same way. This shouldn't be a one way street. I understand there are times when you can't do it, but at least put forth the effort occassionally. I'm not saying it has to be everyday. I had almost 80 friends on my list and only about 4-5 people would comment for me on a regular basis. So needless to say, I cleaned house. Add me if you like. I'm all about support and motivation.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This is why I am very selective about who my friends are.

YAY So glad we're friends KB!!! You are an awesome poster!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I log in daily and try and cheer people along! Always looking for more people who will encourage me also (although I do have some great people on my friends list, I do also have people I NEVER hear from) so feel free to add me! :)
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I don't need to see WTG 85x on each and every one of my statuses, and I don't like leaving these generic comments on peoples statuses. I think as long as people are generally showing you support you should not count them out because they didn't congratulate you for logging in for the 5th day in a row or say something on ALL of your statuses. In one day one person can have about 5 regular updates, generated by the system! If you have 50 freinds, that would mean you would have to say something 250 times!! seems a bit much to me. Just my 2 cents :happy:

I DO however, try to post on all non-system generated updates and milestones. :drinker:
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Also, while looking for comments, are you commenting on others statuses? It's a two way street. I do my best to comment on the 200+ friends' statuses (or the 30 or so who actively leave updates) but I try to leave motivation comments and updates so that even if I don't give you a personal shoutout, I am still here for you and will give you uplifting words to help you along your journey. =]

Congrats on all your hard work you have put forth thus far!

5499814.png
  • megs2003
    megs2003 Posts: 90
    Options
    I try my best to reply to everyone but there are days when I just can not find the time. I only comment on diaries that look nutritionally sound, I do not cheer people on just for being under the calorie goal if they are eating too little etc. Feel free to add me and I will do my best to encourage you. BTW I reached my goal in November and I am currently maintaining in case you decide to add me and wonder why I eat so darn much hehe.

I agree - I only comment on diaries where they are eating adequately and not starving themselves. I don't want to judge people but at the same time I can't ethically cheer that on. That being said, if someone is making positive changes like adding more vegetables I'll definitely make a positive comment.

I travel a lot for work, so I there are weeks where I'm not able to log on (except through my blackberry where I don't have access to my news feed)... feel free to add me if that won't be a problem.
  • achief192
    achief192 Posts: 192
    Options
    Every time I log on I try to comment on at least the most recent updates. Unfortunately I don't get to everyone everyday. Doesn't mean I'm not thinking about them though :)
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would rather only get a few comments from people who actually read what I may say or actually look at my journal than people who give generic comments..states like wtg irk me bc it shows your masses encouraging..I always comment after really reading bc Im just like that I suppose. Same with the comments on profiles I like to give heart felt once not fake ones..

Same here. I only have a small amount of friends, but I still do not comment on every single status. I make sure I comment once a twice a week on something and if I haven't seen someone online after 3 days I will leave a comment for them asking how they are. But just like you, I don't like the wtg comments if they are on every single status. If someone has an intense workout or has logged in for 100 days then I put a comment. Or if a friend posts a status update not generated by mfp I will comment on it.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    This is what I have committed to do for my friends on MFP.

1. Be honest. Yes even about the ugly stuff.

2. Be available at least for an hour a day.

3. Comment on their achievements with a personal take and a motivational remark. (usually aim to make them laugh)

4. Go through my MVP email list and if I haven't heard from somebody in a couple days, send them a note.

5. Review their food diary and make suggestions if they ask for them. Or at least be ready to if they hit a snag.

I follow this almost to the tee.
  • LauritaS767
    LauritaS767 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm actually looking for more friends. I do my best to reply on status' (i'm on here at least 2 or 3 times per day!). I like to help out whenever I can, and the encouragement is great also!
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who actually comment on my accomplishments, successes, and disappointments. Those are the friends I make sure I comment on, but I also comment on the friends who are not so supportive of me. I'm the type of friend who is dedicated, motivating, and encouraging, and those are the qualities I'm looking for in a friend.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    We are all busy and can't comment on everything every day but, I try to comment on a few posts every day. And, I would hope that everyone else does the same.

Support is why we are here & what keeps us all going in life :heart:

Anyone please feel free to add me so we can support eachother :smile:
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm in!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I only keep the ones who want people in their lives and who want to be in people's lives. I don't "collect" friends. I only add the people who give a good reason why they want to be friends with me, and who I know want to actually communicate on here. For me, the friends on MFP are a support system. If you don't update, or you don't help anybody else, why am I friends with you? So I clean out my friends list regularly. People I don't recognize, people I haven't heard from, people who I never see on my feed, etc.
  • LilysMom28
    LilysMom28 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    thats the point of MFP right?? :) I try and say something on everyones posts. But you are right, I have friends that I never hear from (or even see anything that they've posted). Anyone who is up for supporting another friend can feel free to add me and I will be there to do the same for you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I enjoy listen and commenting on my friends. Feel free to add me if you wish.
  • allnewskinnyme
    allnewskinnyme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you :) I know how great the encouragement feels so of course I give it back x
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else but I feel like only 10% of the people on my friends list comment on my updates regularly (I only have a couple a day which are all health and fitness related). This is one of the major things that motivates me. I like to know that my accomplishments are being recognized so I thought I would make a thread for everyone who actually comments. I'm not saying you need to post on every status but occasionally just to show your support would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to this thread and we can all add each other and grow a big support system!

Good luck to everyone with achieving your goals :)

i keep my friends to a mimimum, with those i know who will support me and i support them...i really dont know how its possible that you always comment and support every single one of your friends with 101 friends.....i was going to add you until i saw that, you wouldnt even have the time for me. thats just my opinion.
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options
    I try to add as many comments as possible in the time I can get on here. Feel free to add me. The more support the better IMO.