Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How Do I Get Help?!

124»

Replies

• munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    I've asked my family, doctors & various counselors for help. That I need help. They always tell me I'm overreacting, I'm faking it, I should just get over it or that they can't help.
    I'll be honest with you Dexy.. I'm not sure I believe you. Doctors and counsellors don't do that. There may be a few "bad eggs" but not every one you've seen. Not in our country. The worst thing is, if you are "faking it" that means you have REALLY serious problems that need to be looked into, and counsellors know that. People who "fake" having emotional/psychological problems really have them more severe than anyone.

apparently doctors and councillors aren't allowed to do that :\
    you could probably report them Dexy.. and drive to Sydney (or somewhere less regional) to try and talk to someone about it?
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    your crying out for help then keep searching and don't let anyone tell you no, for every no you hear someone will eventually say yes. keep searching for that one person who will listen to you and stay strong along the way.
  • Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    There are some less than great doctors and pyschologists out there, especially ones that are free (bulk billed) or very cheap. Of course that's a generalisation but I live in Melbourne and the first psychologist I saw said that online sites like beyondblue made everyone think they were depressed, that I should be grateful I didn't have an eating disorder, and suggested only going to bed earlier. The second concluded that I didn't have depression, just fatigue. So maybe Dexy has just been unlucky.

Dexy I strongly encourage you to go to a different psychologist, is there anyone you can ask for a recommendation of a good one? It's really important that you're honest about how you feel, write it down on a piece of paper and show that to them if you have to. I know how hard it is to drop the 'brave face' in front of a stranger when that's all you're used to but they cannot help you if they think it's not very serious.

I can understand not wanting to open up over the phone, did you know that the Kids Helpline is for people up to the age of 25 and has online counselling? Also make sure you get physical causes checked out (like thyroid levels) and it is worth trying St John's Wort but it doesn't work for everyone. Medication should not be a first choice like it seems to be for many doctors but it also shouldn't be something to be terrified of. There are many options out there and for many people you only need to be on it a short while. Finally, do your best to ignore unhelpful comments from family members. Remember, they stem from ignorance.
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    I hear you, LoveMyBodyNow, on the phone calling issue. I am also incredibly uncomfortable calling people and talking over the phone. I studied counselling last year and my tutor was also really uncomfortable with using phones. So you aren't the only one :) That being said I don't know a cure for it.. however if I need to call people for work related issues I have no problems. Only problems with making appointments and things for myself :-S

You could maybe try writing down all the things you want to say in point form so you have a referece list, and it might help you feel less flustered whilst on the phone to people. Just putting that forward because you living in a rural area must find it difficult to get help. LifeLine would be a great help to you, i think (though people can be on hold for a long time, sadly, as the lines get quite busy, especally during afternoon and night), as you do sound like you just need someone to talk to about your problems.

I also think everyone on here is pushing the drugs too much. Like taking meds for a mental problem is the only solution. I'd urge you to find a proper counsellor first... not even a psychiatrist... but just a plain old counsellor. Someone to talk to. And if that, and active life style changes, don't make you happier then maybe go with drugs, because some people do have a chemical imbalance in their brains which causes sever depression.