cursing + having little kids ==

Options

Replies

• schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband swear but wouldn't dream of doing it in front of our children. It's frown upon in our house. When children swear, it just sounds like they are being dragged up. It's not cool, it's not hip and it's certainly not clever. My children are 6 and 8 and they hear other children using swear words at school etc, the odd one on the telly... There's no way you can shield a child from hearing such words, it happens, it's out there and for many people, it's vertually their first language! In my personal opinion, i just dont think its right, it sounds common and trashy but.......each to their own
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    A flow chart?

Can I Swear? ----> Are you in a suitable environment? At home, or at a football match?
    >

Yes > You can swear.
    No > You can't swear.

:laugh:
    Is there a handbook and what's suitable? There are many different situations and interpretations of said situation.

And I swear for emphasis. They don't hear it often, but when they do, they know the *kitten* is hitting the fan.

I tell my kids it is ok to swear when it's part of the lyrics of a song.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    eh, not a big deal. they're going to be around it ALL the time when they get older.
    My parents cursed all the time too. & i also turned out ok :P

I honestly think its cute/funny to hear a little kid curse, especially when they mispronounce it...OMG adorable xD

Id rather have my little girl curse & listen to rob zombie rather than have her nose in books all day. EW!!

Ha! whats wrong with books? Do people who curse not read? Did I miss the memo?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i swear a lot and my kids are 4 and 5.. theyve both dropped the f bomb (in front of the grandparents even >.>) and that was it.
    i dont swear AT them, but im sure they hear me swearing while talking to hubby, or playing video games.
    when they were fist born i was on the "dont swear in front of the kids" boat, but it obviously didnt work lol and to me, theres a time and place. id never swear in front of my nana, or to my kids teacher and i think they need to learn that as well.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    My Dad taught me all of the swear words before I started school & told me they were adult words & that I wasn't allowed to use them, so I never did.
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    eh, not a big deal. they're going to be around it ALL the time when they get older.

I honestly think its cute/funny to hear a little kid curse, especially when they mispronounce it...OMG adorable xD

Id rather have my little girl curse & listen to rob zombie rather than have her nose in books all day. EW!!

what kid/teen wants to read? I dont know anyone who reads for fun...
    Im saying id rather her not read, but, if she ever wants to, then ok.
  • amac1072
    amac1072 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i talk like a sailor and have since i was about 8 or 9.. it's a coping mechanism because i feel inadequate because i'm short. at least, i'm sure that's what a shrink would say. ;)

my kids (boys) are 3 and 10. i try to "keep it clean" around them, but they've heard plenty of "dammit" and "****" and the occasional f-bomb. i'm also a substitute teacher working toward an education masters, and not cursing in school is probably the hardest part of the job. ;)

my kids aren't at all ruined for life because of my verbal expression choices. in the words of the late, great george carlin, "there are no bad words...bad thoughts, bad intentions, yes, but not words." i figure if dropping the occasional f-bomb in front of your kids is the worst you do, you're doing better than a helluva lot of parents out there.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

I'd rather have my kid listen to Rob Zombie & read, at least she'd be an educated little Metalhead.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    hahaha - you have THREE children? I have four adult children- cursing was the LEAST of the problems. Raising children is enough of a challenge and you will face MUCH bigger problems than some naughty language. Obviously it's bothering you so - watch your mouth. Here's MY tip- DO be that mom. DON'T be too permissive- this NEVER works out well. BE a role model, whether you want to be or not, they WILL pattern their behavior after you. Love your children but DO NOT treat them like little adults. They are NOT adults. They DO NOT see things the way you do.
    They are absorbing everything you do and say and believe me, it WILL come back to haunt you. Basically, they're like flowers. They need fresh air, sunshine, healthy food, a caring environment and ROOM TO GROW. However, they are flowers with voice recorders and photographic memories.
    And I think you're all dead wrong about reading. The best thing I did was encourage a love of reading in my children. People who DO NOT read have NO advantage over people who CAN NOT read. My kids learned to read at a VERY young age (I'm a reader). I turned off our tv for one hour every day & they had to read something - it could be a comic book, but they had to read & tell me what they read.
    Also in summertime I didn't let my kids get stupid all summer. They had to read & do a book report. I also quizzed them on spelling. The most tragic waste in all of history is a wasted mind. Our brains are fantastically complicated- challenge them to think & use their brains. Who knows what you'll get? on the other hand, imo there are more than enough mindless bots on the planet now
    Good luck
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

my 4 and 5 year olds love reading - and i think is awesome
    i also read for fun - dont get me stuck in a book or i wont stop until im done lol
    i dont think ive ever met a parent who would prefer their kids not read
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options

Wow. What a sad world you live in.

I teach middle school Language Arts and the majority of my students love to read.

I digress...

Husband, The Boy's dad, and I all curse...a lot. Both kids have dropped f bombs before 3. In fact, Baby Girl told my MIL (who is also her preschool teacher) a few weeks ago that "fvck it" was a bad word and she's not supposed to say it. :laugh:

They know the words are "grown up" words and they can say them when they're older. There's definitely worse things the could do..l
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have 2 military brats (2.5 and 15mo), so they've totally been exposed to bad language. I have never asked any one to moderate their language around them. I think that is unrealistic. My 2.5 year has said shi+ a coue times, but we just don't make a big deal out of it besides telling her theybare bad words and she shouldn't say them. Luckily all our friends kids are military brats too so their parents understand if bad laguage slips out of their little mouths lol:drinker:
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My parents AND grandmother never censored themselves in front of my sister and I, and we turned out perfectly fine (my sister has her Master's, and I'm booking for one).

Now, having friends from many different backgrounds, the ones who were sheltered as children throw around curse words like it's something special that must be in every sentence..THAT'S annoying.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My boys are 16, 12 and 10. My husband and I have always cursed in front of them. Moreso swearing out of anger than in normal conversasion (though when I'm with my friends the word "f" might happen more). So it's not a constant day to day thing. They hardly swear themselves. Except my 16 yr old , and he does it more because he's influenced by his peers language, not ours. Oh. And music. He listens to hip hop, which is filled with f-bombs and worse. My 12 and 10 yr olds rarely, if ever, have sworn.

The funny thing is, my parents NEVER swore in front of me. "Hell" was considered a swear word. In fact the word "suck" was not allowed in our house either (as in "that sucks").

And I wound up with the mouth I have. Go figure.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

I've loved reading since elementary school... I've always read for enjoyment, and still do.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i don't swear. i'm sure occasionally one will fall off my lips, but it's VERY rare! i wasn't raised in a house where people swore. and since i don't swear, i really don't want my kids doing it.

their dad swears, a lot. they have picked up the words from him. but, i don't think i have ever heard any of them swear after like the age of 3. they wouldn't get "in trouble" so much as i would tell them that it's not a nice word and they shouldn't use it.

the "bad" words in our house are NOT bad words. they are like "dumb," "shut up, " " stupid." stuff like that. i don't want my kids saying those things to each other or to other people. i just think they are mean.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of lost as to what loving to read has to do with anything else. But whatever. I love to read and I love Rob Zombie and love the F word.
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    if my child is reading constantly, she'll never have a chance to get out & hang out with friends, because she'd be too obsessed. My friends mom is like that, & i think it's crazy...she has no friends at all D:
    I want my child to have friends. And be smart from reading.

As in not wanting her to read, I mean it as an all day thing. If she wants to read an hour a day, I dont mind. i think that awesome..but all day and not wanting to do anything else? that wouldnt be acceptable to me. She needs communication in her life too. Communication is more important than a book.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options

' I'd rather her not read'

I've never heard anyone say that before, ever.

People read for fun, they read to expand their little worlds, they read to learn what it's like to be someone else for a while. My metalhead 15 year old son reads as does his 17 yr old brother. How can you expect them to write good lyrics if they are not encouraged to read?! To not encourage a child to read is to deny them a lot of the world. To lead their own lives and make their own choices, they need to know what's out there and how to avoid the mistakes that others have made. You don't have to miss out on other things in order to read......you can do that as well. I read avidly as a young child and still do - didn't stop me dyeing my hair purple or moving to another continent for a while when I was 21. You don't have to be a conservative nerd to read!
  • p_barron
    p_barron Posts: 63
    Options
    okay, so anyone who knows me, knows i curse. a lot. all the time. sure, it's not ladylike, but i don't really give a fu@k.

anywho ... i have 3 little ones (3, 6 & 7) and i never did that "oh, i'm not going to curse in front of them" thing. I figured I'm not going to keep them sheltered from something as inane as bad words. Yeah, they all dropped the f bomb before the age of 3, but that was it - they never cursed again. They know they are bad words, they know they can't say them, they are sensitized to that they are not "special" words at all.

am i ahead of the curve or have i ruined my children for life? Only time will tell. (maybe they'll end up rebelling and they'll stick their noses up to punk rock and listen to xtian music and go to church. who knows.)

What do you do about cursing? yay or ney?

I am doing the same thing right now with my 2 year old. He has dropped every "bad" word a couple times but he has always done it in the ways I use the word and he has basically stopped now. I don't believe there are any "bad" words just words people put bad connotations on