cursing + having little kids ==

Options

Replies

• Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    Well I'm not a parent, but have parents who curse all the time! Ye I have picked up some of the bad language habits, but it doesn't define who I am as a person!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I curse sometimes, but I don't like the fact that I do. It's a bad habit to get into, and I think it makes a person look bad. I rarely swore when my daughter was growing up. I don't think there's anything wrong with protecting your children from the negative things in the world for as long as you can. My (17-year-old) daughter doesn't swear in front of me, and I dare say she rarely swears when she's away from home. She doesn't even like it when I do it.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Im all for cursing!!!

And reading
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    "All of you over here, you seven, BAAAAD WOOORDS!"
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I had my head in a book a lot and you know what it got me? Smart. Not only am I smart but I am social, communicate well and have all the necessary words in my head for an intelligent conversation.

Just because I curse doesn't mean that my kids are being raised in a household with no respect for community and others. I curse. My kids don't. We discuss the adult words, bad words and good words as well.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    "All of you over here, you seven, BAAAAD WOOORDS!"
    <3
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I was putting my son to bed early the other night for being a brat all day and disrespecting his mother.(he was tired) Anyway, on the way up the stairs he called me a "Vagina". It was hard not to laugh. Vagina- ha ha ha!
    Lol ur son is hilarious, how could u not laugh at that!
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm actually having to watch my mouth at the moment as my 12 year old daughter has started & justifies it with "I'm allowed to, you do!!"

The other morning her alarm didn't go off & when I woke her up a bit later she leapt up & started the day with "My f**king alarm didn't go off grrrr"
    That afternoon after school she continued to drop the F bomb so I did a deal with her that if I watch my mouth then she will too.

She's tactful in that she doesn't speak like that in public or at school but I'm still uncomfortable with her potty mouth.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a bad mouth but our children (7,4 &3) know they aren't old enough to say words like those. My boys are very smart for their age and my eldest does really well in school. Just because someone curses doesn't define who they are. Hell, my husband is in school to get his degree in Physics and Engineering.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    My parents didn't curse, but when I was in highschool I tried it. It seemed fun so I tried it some more. Trying to make it sound 'natural'...after a while, I realized that it was becoming a part of me...like an opinion I couldn't change if I wanted to. I stopped. I didn't want something having that kind of influence over my own selections.

As time went by, I had a child. When I was angry I said a cuss word in front of him. Later I apologized to him..not about being angry at him...because i was angry at somebody else and he overheard it...but about cussing.

I simply told him what I wrote to you in the first paragraph and added that like it or not...some things in this life define who you are and how much self control you have and what kind of reputation you will carry. If you don't care about those things, then bear with the consequences quietly.

What he appreciated...now that he is 20 and has discussed this with me...is that I said 'I'm sorry, please forgive me."

That's what he took away from the whole thing. He realized he could make a mistake, say he is sorry, still be loved, trusted, and keep going along life's way.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal - they're just words.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont think it matters. kids arent stupid. my parents never cursed in front of me but i know they did and i learned the words when they didnt think i was listening, from hearing other grown ups, but the majority were learned from other kids.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    what kid/teen wants to read? I dont know anyone who reads for fun...
    Im saying id rather her not read, but, if she ever wants to, then ok.

Smart people. Smart people read for fun.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on these boards.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    WOW I must be old fashioned, I have a four year old daughter & put her to bed early for saying god damn only last week! I don't swear in front of her & if people wish to visit us I encourage them not to swear in front of her. Swearing in public is an erosion of basic common courtesy, where the "self" has become more important than the "community" & people question why the world is going to hell in a handbasket. I am not saying swearing is the worlds or a childs greatest issue but respect for each other has to start somewhere!

Funny I don't allow my daughter to stay up late or watch inappropriate programs on television & as for reading if you don't encourage your children to read & to ENJOY reading you are quite simply wrong! IMO :)

Russ

Completely agree on all accounts. I was raised this way and don't care what the majority agree upon, it is stupid to cuss in front of children and see them do it. I think it's "cute" in the right moment but absolutely embarrassing and uncalled for in public or in front of older family members. We should be able to keep some manners... can't get rid of it all. IMO. And reading is the BEST THING EVER! :frown:
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I havent read through all the replies but we raise our kids like OP. They hear them, and yes they have said them. But we have taught them there is a time and place for them and that they are adult words. I would rather they learn how to use them now than go around thinking it is cool to say the bad words when they are older and get in trouble.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    WOW I must be old fashioned, I have a four year old daughter & put her to bed early for saying god damn only last week! I don't swear in front of her & if people wish to visit us I encourage them not to swear in front of her. Swearing in public is an erosion of basic common courtesy, where the "self" has become more important than the "community" & people question why the world is going to hell in a handbasket. I am not saying swearing is the worlds or a childs greatest issue but respect for each other has to start somewhere!

Funny I don't allow my daughter to stay up late or watch inappropriate programs on television & as for reading if you don't encourage your children to read & to ENJOY reading you are quite simply wrong! IMO :)

Russ
    You are NOT old fashoined. Just a decent, loving parent.
    My 6 yo daughter was strutting around in my heels with no skirt on the other day singing "I'm sexy and I know it". Just seemed wrong somehow. I got her to stop:-)

So are you implying that parents that curse aren't decent, or loving? My dad swore a storm when I was growing up..I am now a mom, a teacher, and I'm currently working on my 3rd degree. (An EdS...it's a basically a doctorate without the diss, so I won't have the PhD after my name.) I coach my son's soccer team, we eat dinner as a family most nights, we read together, go to the park, laugh, learn and love as a family. Wow, my sh!tty dad really did a number on me, didn't he?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine does the most brilliant thing with his kids... he tells them they can say whatever word they want, but some words are "garage words." You can only say them in the garage, not in school, not in front of grandma, etc. His kids are fantastic, and know proper context. :wink:
  • AmyJo54915
    AmyJo54915 Posts: 103
    Options
    eh, not a big deal. they're going to be around it ALL the time when they get older.
    My parents cursed all the time too. & i also turned out ok :P

I honestly think its cute/funny to hear a little kid curse, especially when they mispronounce it...OMG adorable xD

Id rather have my little girl curse & listen to rob zombie rather than have her nose in books all day. EW!!

Ha! whats wrong with books? Do people who curse not read? Did I miss the memo?

what kid/teen wants to read? I dont know anyone who reads for fun...
    Im saying id rather her not read, but, if she ever wants to, then ok.
    my 4 and 5 year olds love reading - and i think is awesome
    i also read for fun - dont get me stuck in a book or i wont stop until im done lol
    i dont think ive ever met a parent who would prefer their kids not read

My 18 year old daughter has always loved reading...I was reading to her from the day she came home from the hospital. My boys, not so much, but I love to read! I like Rob Zombie too, but I'd much rather my children be well educated in something other than metal.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Lorina,that's a brilliant idea!
  • kemccarty
    kemccarty Posts: 33
    Options
    Women and profanity is neither attractive nor classy. Regardless of your educational background and career, if your vocabulary is not extensive enough to where you must use vulgar language in order to make a point, you will appear as uneducated.