What words do you have trouble pronouncing?

Options

Replies

• Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    OMG.. the word Rural .. it just sounds rediculous.
  • wdruker
    wdruker Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Penelope. Every time I see it, I start saying Penny - lo- pe. It's quite embarrassing!
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    Glomerulus (I tend to pronounce it Growl-e-murus)

It's part of the kidney. Its a medical term that I can NEVER pronounce. Once I am done my licensing exams I intend to never use that word again.
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    CAR i say caaa
    APARTMENT i say apaaatment
    GARAGE.... garaaaage

LIFE OF A TOWNIE AS SOON AS I TALK PEOPLE ARE LIKE WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU FROM?
  • kymberly316
    Options
    rural and murderer (damn r's!). Also I know it's wrong, but when someone says nuclear correctly, I have to think about it because I am so used to hearing "nuculear" that I'm not sure who's right or wrong anymore. Oh and realtor..I like to say real-a-tor
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options
    I call Pancakes Pan a Cakes, And I ALWAYS will =D

My daughter pronounces it that way, and I love it!

I have trouble saying rear-wheel drive. It comes out like "rer-wer drive". I have to say it really slow, or I just say back-wheel drive, lol, and my husband makes fun of me all the time.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Rural. I get stuck on the r sound and then try to salvage it by throwing in the l sound and end up sounding like I'm being strangled.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. :noway:

Can you believe I ran into this word TWICE (!) in the last year.

And by the way, it's the fear of long words.

I love this! Can't believe I've never come across it before.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Since I'm Canadian, usually anything that ends in "-ouse" and been (I pronounce it bean, not bin).
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    philanthropic.....I have a serious mental block saying this one
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of words on this thread that I don't even know much less have the ability to pronounce.
    WOW. I like your username. LOL

back on topic.... I cant roll my Rs..... so anything that requires that, i cant say. I have lived in several places in the US... so I don't have any particular accent, but I will subconsciously change how i pronounce words... and grammar for that matter, depending on where I am.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    poem... is it po-ahm or poym?

I also get stuck on pronouncing people's last names. I started listening to them pronounce them, then, running to a post it note and writing it phonetically.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    wolves - unless I concentrate it comes out like 'wuvs'
  • ShellyAnnPaulson
    Options
    Ambulance and pinterest
  • JenniferCiardo
    Options
    "Culture"... I have to say it very very slow.......smiles!~
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    There are a lot of words on this thread that I don't even know much less have the ability to pronounce.
    WOW. I like your username. LOL

Dude... ditto.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    worcestershire sauce

I honestly believe it's stranger if you CAN say this.

:laugh:

Yes - this one is crazy - can anyone say it!

Woostah-shurr.

Really :-)
    Yup, town in Massachusetts of Worcester is pronounced Woostah.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    pure and bra

apparently I say brawls instead of "I need some bras" turns into "I need some brawls" lol
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    aspartame.
    I know how it is supposed to be pronounced, but it will always be "as-part-uh-me"

I got made fun of so bad for thhis ... I also have trouble with salmon. People correct me saying its SAMON but I say salmon.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Anything with an R and a W. I have a speech problem and I have to try really, really hard. xD I get them confused so things come out like this if I speak too fast (or without thinking), "She rowe a wed dwess at the redding." (Translation: She wore a red dress at the wedding.)

I have a speech problem as well :cry: For me it's words with the letter R in them. Example: Park they ask me when I say it if I am from New York bc I say it differently. That and when I say peaches ppl think I am saying pizza:noway: Also ppl make fun of the way I pronuce spaghetti:blushing: