T.H.E (Trying Hard Everyday) Team - Week 13

Options

Replies

• lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    AJ ~ Way To Go Girl!!!!!!!!! Happy dance for you!dancing.gifWhat an awesome two weeks!!

Manda ~ Meditating in nature - fabulous! Sounds like a refreshing weekend ~ :flowerforyou:

Healthymom - Love to have you check it and don't feel bad ever if you don't have time to catch everything - we can all be pretty chatty and there's not always time to catch up ~ It's most important that we check in and stay accountable ~ and I love that you are doing that! It's great to hear from you today!

Sheila ~ I don't think you should feel uncomfortable about fitting into your daughter's clothes ~ My daughter is plus size - has been bigger than me since she was about 14 years old. (She's now 23) In the last couple of years she and I could share some clothes, but her pant size was still larger than mine. She commented a couple of times about my losing weight after I started MFP and I just keep saying that I want to be healthier. I would never want her to feel bad about her size - she is so beautiful and I only want for her to feel beautiful. But I really do want to set an example for her- better late than never - and just a few weeks ago she started logging onto mfp - she doesn't post, but logs food and exercise - and calls me now for recipes and to tell me how long she rode her bike or exercised - she kicks my behind in exercise. The point is ~ when it comes to weight, we are all what we choose to be ~ and my daughter makes her own choices, of course, she's older than yours ~ but I wish I'd educated her a long time ago about healthy foods and exercise. I am responsible for her weight as well as my own because as a parent I didn't treat her with proper nutrition and instead, I comforted her with bad food and inactivity. A reward consisted of snacks and a movie or a day at the mall, never rollerblading or biking or swimming. Jeeze, I wish I could do all that over. Sorry, I didn't mean to get into a retrospective about my own situation, I just wanted to encourage you to be open and honest with your daughter about the struggles of being overweight and help her make whatever changes she can while she is still young and impressionable ~ and if you get healthy together, then you can share clothes for a looooong time!:bigsmile: I think that's part of my daughter's motivation, becuase she liked that we could borrow from each other:huh: Hey, i.m.o. - whatever it takes:heart:

DWray - Was this the weekend your friend came to visit? Hope it was fun! Take care of that knee - fingers crossed!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Hi ya'll.... just finished lunch, leftover BBQ boneless pork ribs, wow, can my hubby BBQ. I skipped the sauce and ate some baked beans so that was as good as any sauce (also about the same number of cals, but more food).

Had a surprising weekend with what I ate - had chocolate cake 3x, it was really yummy, but knew it put me way over on cals. But I did it 'by choice' and accepted that this was a big weekend and a big treat for me (I ate fine with everything else, that's the only treat I let myself have). And I'm very glad it's gone and I have no desire to have it again. But it was nice to have once. Now I'll have to work off that potential pound I could have gained over the weekend (not showing up yet) so that I'm at least evening it out. It was kind of strange for me, I put a lot of thought into whether or not I was going to eat that cake, and put a lot of thought into everything I ate (since I didn't hit the gym at all, due to soreness, I knew it was way over cals due to cake) and was good except for that, skipped the chips and other crap that was there. I just wanted the cake. It was a strange experience for me not to be "pulled" into eating it or any other junk, and it was a choice rather than a "I have to I can't resist" thing. I don't know if I"m explaining myself well - but I knew that I could choose not to have the cake too. This is a new thing for me. I don't feel like it was cheating because I made a choice and knew there would be consequences and I accepted those and knew I would have to work harder this week just to stay even. I'm kind of excited about that!

Did 30 mins on the treadmill, working my way up to a fast walk - no pain in my achilles tendon, so I think I'm ready to wog later this week (not on the same day I work out with a trainer though!) then 30 mins on elliptical. Did about 1000 cals. I could have done more but I don't want to eat that much today! But it was nice to feel like I could have kept going... I also made sure I stretched quite a bit.

Oh - and my headaches are gone - my glasses must have been at a weird angle or something, and that totally resolved the headaches, thank god, so it means my eyes aren't getting any worse at this point. Whew!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    oh and stillkristi, pm me your address, I have a shirt for you (brand new, just washed, never worn) that you should be able to wear shortly. It's fun and I think you'll like it!
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Adopt4 - I will send you my size 20's and 18's....

SO everyone my traveling pants are gone.. To Adopt4
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Morning teamies!!

Jaimie- I adjusted my eating and now eat about 1/2 my exercise calories back everyday, so Im eating between 1600-1800 per day instead of the 2100 I was. Im glad I did what I did tho in terms of eating that much because now I pretty much know where my maintenance calories will be since I didnt gain anything. :happy:

For those of you with a lot of pounds to lose, losing 5lbs a week is doable, but for someone working to lose less ... thats ALOT of weight to come off in a week. I'll tell ya what my book says to do and you can decide if this is right for you or not. Its basically what I started out with when I began MFP, then once I got my HRM I changed things. At first, all was great but now Its slowing down, so these are the guidelines I use and we'll see if I can break out of the stall Im in.

First off, figure out what your BMR is. You can use the tools on MFP or My book has a formula if you want it but Im too sore and lazy from week 4 day 1 of couch to 5 k to get off my bum and go upstairs for it.. LOL I'll post it later.

Next, for exercise- Use the following calculations when figuring out how many calories your burn.

At a minimum you should do:
    Walk 30 minutes PER DAY. Calculate it at 4 calories per minute (thats 120 calories for a 1/2 hour walk) This can be broken up into 5 or 10 minute walks 3 times a day if necessary or done all at once. On days I run, I usually take a walk around my neighborhood just so I dont stiffen up.

Cardio 3 times a week. Calculate your cardio at 8 calories per minute. (so thats 240 calories for 1/2 hour) Strength training calories burned is the same as cardio. Do it 2-3 times a week. 8 calories per minute.

In otherwords, If you do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strenght training, thats 500 calories per hour. This is my typical workout 5 times a week and in the beginning I was losing 2-3lbs a week. Eat ALL 500 of them back! Every last one! (this makes sense to me because this is exactly 1/2 of what my HRM says I burn every day)

So, if you normally eat a 1200 calorie day (without exercise) and burn 500 calories....eat 1700 calories. Of course, 1200 calories as a base is pretty low. This is why it is important to know what your BMR is. Once you get that calculated, you can mess with the number of your base calories.
    if you figure your BMR to be 1700 without exercise, eating 1200 calories would put you at a 500 deficite and you will lose weight. If you want to gain 5#'s and your BMR is 1700 without exercise, you would eat 2300 calories a day. It really is that simple.

They key here isnt to eat LESS, its to find your numbers and EAT good, healthy foods to keep your body going and keep your metabolism revved up. EVERYONE is different. What works for me, may not work for you. What work someone else, probably wouldnt work for me. This is why people get soooo frustrated. Your body will adjust to exercise, so change it up frequently. Every 2-3 weeks, try a new class or a new video. Keep your body working for you. Doing the same thing, over and over is not only boring for your brain, but boring for your body as well.
  • nitag
    Options
    LI4G.. Thanks.. I love that post...
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    LI4G.. Thanks.. I love that post...

Your welcome :happy:

Oh... btw...

AJ~
    congrats.gif
    on the weight lost this week!!
  • nitag
    Options
    I really need some help here.. I am losing interest.. I am in a funk.. I didn't exercise today and I went over on my calories by 77... I'm so frustrated... Tomorrow I am going to wake up early and start my morning exercising again.. I am so disappointed in myself..
  • lulubar
    Options
    Anita ~ hey, what can we do to help? Don't be so hard on yourself. Going over by 77 cals isn't really going over imho. I allow myself 100 cals leeway under or over everyday. I'm afraid that having to stick to exact numbers would really stress me out. I'm sorry you are in a funk - you've had a lot of stress over the past couple of months, so I think a funk is acceptable. Maybe some meditation or a gratitude journal would serve you well. It's easy to get bogged down in the routine of things, so changing up a day off will probably be good for ya. No worries mate, Back on your feet (on the treadmill) tomorrow. ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) for you!

Li4g - great post, good info, thanks for sharing!
  • lulubar
    Options
    ........ It was a strange experience for me not to be "pulled" into eating it or any other junk, and it was a choice rather than a "I have to I can't resist" thing. I don't know if I"m explaining myself well - but I knew that I could choose not to have the cake too. This is a new thing for me. I don't feel like it was cheating because I made a choice and knew there would be consequences and I accepted those and knew I would have to work harder this week just to stay even. I'm kind of excited about that!

Adopt4 ~ I'm excited for you too! What a liberating feeling that must be ~ knowing you can make that choice and knowing how to pay for that choice! I believe, my friend, you have hit on the magic formula for getting and staying healthy!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I'm so happy it wasn't your vision, and was just the maladjusted eyeware! You ARE just have an all around good day:bigsmile: Total yayness for you:drinker:
  • healthymom2009
    Options
    Good evening - here to post that I did my exercise tonight...60 minutes on the elliptical. I did intervals to avoid the boredom.

Anita - I know how you might feel...I've been going through a down time too. Life pulls our focus to other things and its hard to think exercise/food all the time. Can you find a new exercise challenge or dvd to get you going? I love the structure of following a plan. Good luck my friend. We are all inthis together. :flowerforyou:
  • tonijrn
    tonijrn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm new to this site, just joined on Sunday, and have journaled for 2 days now, and walked for 30 minutes.
    I have a long way to go 93 lbs, but I'm going to look at the small successes.
    I'd like to join this team, however I weigh in at WW on Sat. I question if I'm going to continue with that though as I've never been happy with the points and that it doesn't really give you nutritional info like this site does.

If I choose to stay with WW weigh in's, I'll post my Sat weight for the following Fri.

Thanks for your helpful tips, and encouragement with this team
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Welcome tonijrn! This is a great team. Lots of motivation and support. And, the occasional kick in the butt by lulu, but she wears her padded slippers, so it hurts her more than it does you! :wink:

Well, I am reporting my exercising and then toddling off to bed. 45 minutes strength training. (All are three sets of 10 except for crunches, 100 of those) Wall aways, and wall'ball squats. These next ones all using tubing: chest press, lat pull downs, seated row, hamstring extension. All the rest using dumb bells: bicep curls, tricep double kick backs and extensions, military press, anterior, medial and posterior deltoids.

Somehow I sort of hurt my right shoulder. It was sore, and I thought, "Oh, I can just work through it." Not so smart.

Hey, adopt4 good job. Thats really taming the beast.

Cyndee, come to the party. I will share pants with you.

Hmm.. I can't get that to sound right no matter how I put it. :laugh:

Take care team.

Zano, are you ever coming back?
  • nitag
    Options
    I am up and I am going to go exercise as soon as I get my husband out the door... It just can't be quick enough.. I am so irritated with him.. One thing that is getting me down, they want to send him to Texas for 6 months.. That is too long in my opinion.. I do not want to go to Texas for that time frame.. Larado to be exact... The money is great however he has 2 other companies that want him right here in Nevada & Ca.. So he needs to make a decision and fast. I can't stress eat...

My stomach is growling... I think I might have a little oatmeal before I work out...

Check in when I am done..
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    Nitag- I know the feeling. I was so good before and during my trip to Florida, but for some reason since Ive been back Ive been struggling with the eating aspect of things and once again not drinking all my water. I think mainly I was getting frustrated with not seeing results I wanted even tho I was working my butt off at the gym and sticking to the calories I was eating. It makes sense to me now why I wasnt losing, but during... it was just frustrating. Like lulu said, you have had alot of stressors the past couple months. Dont beat yourself up, just do a YOU turn and get back on track. 77 calories isnt a big deal...dont worry about it!! That isnt going to make or break your deficite for the week. When I go over (no matter how big or small) I try to look more at what I went over on. Did I eat Healthy stuff? Or did I eat sugary crap?:laugh: That seems to help me relax. If I went over on sugary crap, I do a little more exercise the next day...if it was healthy I dont worry about it. Some days Im over by 100, some days Im under by 100. Not a big deal.

Healthymom- Intervals on the elliptical?? cool!!! Bet you burned lots of calories doing that!!

Toni- Welcome to our group!! If you think you love this site now, just wait till you get to know us. This is a great group! Best of luck with your goals!! As for the weight watchers, do whatever you feel comfortable with. Ive never done WW, so Im not sure how thier whole points thing works. Seems to me like it would be hard to eat unless you knew how many points something was worth? As for the weigh in, just post your weight on Saturday for the previous Friday. 1 day is no biggie.
    Anyway, You're welcome to join in! Alot of us check in daily, so feel free to come chat it up with us :)

Kristi- If the shoulder still hurts try some mineral ice. That worked great for my shoulder strain. Take 2 motrin and call me in the morning.. :laugh: Heating pad and ice pack works great too. As for the "oh, I can just work through it" I know the feeling. Did that myself in Florida 3 weeks ago and just this past Saturday was able to work my arms again without my left shoulder killing me. Never ever again!! If you start to feel pain, stop and stretch. Give your muscles a few minutes to recover. Sometimes that helps. If after stretching you still feel pain, then stop. Way to rip it up with the workouts though!! Im so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!

No gym for me this morning. In fact this whole week presents a challenge for me. I get to have the little 1 year old back part time and have her 4 days this week in the AM to early afternoon. 3 of those 4 days I have the other 2 I watch in the afternoons, so Im gonna be stuck going to the gym in the evenings instead of in the AM when I want to go. :ohwell: Im doing water aerobics tonight. If I get there early enough I'll do some elliptical before going to that. Wednesday is gonna be the hardest day...I have all 3 of them. The 1 year old from 7-3 and the other 2 from 12-5:30, so I either get to get up at the crack of dawn and go wog in the AM or go to the gym after they all go home. hmmmmm. I think I'll play it by ear. LOL If I can get up early enough, maybe I'll skip the gym and just go wog around the neighborhood for a change. We'll see what the weather is like. Its been pouring rain, windy and cold for the past couple days and the weather man isnt promising any relief of that anytime soon.:grumble:
  • jamielbeck
    jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! :smile:
    Sorry I did not get to post last night...my cousin stopped by our house unexpectedly to visit around 830 and ended up staying for an hour. After he left we had to get ready for bed and I was laying bed when I realized I never got to complete my logging and post. It was good to seem him. He's in college so we don't see him much because of this I do not mind the unexpected visits.
    So yesterday I stayed within my 1700 calories (Whooo!) It was hard because I had been used to eating more when I worked out. I did my first body pump (weight training) in about 2 weeks. My heel was in pain during most of it but I made it through. Oh! and Li4g will like this one...I've joined the chocolate milk fan club. Last night was my second night :laugh:
    Well I am going to read the posts and be up to date! Hope you are all having a GREAT day! It finally stopped raining for a little bit (Yea!)
    Jamie :flowerforyou:
  • jamielbeck
    Options
    I am SO proud of myself! My son had a baseball game this afternoon and it has become a bit of a tradition to go to a little mom and pop BBQ joint by our house afterwards. I usually order a pulled pork sandwich with all the yummy sides. Today I ordered my sandwich with NO bun and a side salad! And I wasn't embarrassed a bit to order it the way I wanted it. Good for me! I was able to eat out and stay within my calories!

WTG AJ! :happy:
  • jamielbeck
    Options
    Here is silly Idea??? for those who grow out of their pants pass then to a team member that is going into that size!!! we can be the Team of Traveling Pants!!!

That is an AWESOME idea!! I already gave a bunch of my clothes to adopt4. Mostly shirts, but it was stuff she needed. I have more stuff in the 18-20 size from Lane Bryant and Torrid that will soon be ready to go. Most of it is like brand new (as in I just bought it last year and have hardly worn it). Im in between a 16-18 and can still wear some of it, but it wont be long before they are hanging off me like the 2x size. I wore a shirt last night that I purchased last fall that I am pissed but pleased to pass on. Is one of my more comfy, cute tops.. but its too big for me now. I also have a pretty formal dress that is a size 20. Black and white, so if anyone needs one I'd be happy to pass it on. I wore it once, last year when hubby and I went to the vampire ball, but I wont be able to wear it again. Would be great for a formal event or a night out on the town. I really cant afford to spend a bunch on a smaller size right now, especially since I have 2 more sizes to drop.

You guys are too funny! The team of the Traveling Pants! :laugh:
    Well I am on the border line of a new pair! So when I FINALLY break this 4 week stint of no weight loss and get a new pair I will start saving mine rather than donating! I wear talls though! :happy:
  • nitag
    Options
    Nitag- I know the feeling. I was so good before and during my trip to Florida, but for some reason since Ive been back Ive been struggling with the eating aspect of things and once again not drinking all my water. I think mainly I was getting frustrated with not seeing results I wanted even tho I was working my butt off at the gym and sticking to the calories I was eating. It makes sense to me now why I wasnt losing, but during... it was just frustrating. Like lulu said, you have had alot of stressors the past couple months. Dont beat yourself up, just do a YOU turn and get back on track. 77 calories isnt a big deal...dont worry about it!! That isnt going to make or break your deficite for the week. When I go over (no matter how big or small) I try to look more at what I went over on. Did I eat Healthy stuff? Or did I eat sugary crap?:laugh: That seems to help me relax. If I went over on sugary crap, I do a little more exercise the next day...if it was healthy I dont worry about it. Some days Im over by 100, some days Im under by 100. Not a big deal.

You say is so perfectly and in such a why that I'm like yeah exactly!!

I just got done exercising..:tongue::tongue: I am so happy... I did my walk away the pound dvd for the full 30 mins and burned 379 calories... I am going to start fresh today and get back on track.. I've been slacking on the water but I've already drank 1 bottle....

I am off to get ready for the job..

Nita
  • indianagranny
    indianagranny Posts: 863
    Options
    Just wanted to say GOOD MORNING - I am too tired to do much more. will catch up later maybe. Have to go to the funeral home tonight. so this might be my only check - in today girls. Going to take the day off from exercise.

just a couple of things

Kristi - you take care of that shoulder. I diito what Doctor LI4G says.

Adopt4 - I will get you those tops out this weekend I hope. It depends when some of the relatives go home. I will tell you when I send them.

Jamie - Girl - I am hoping for you to see movement in that scale this week.

To everyone - have a great day. I got - GOT - to do my dishes and changed the sheets.