I wish my gym had a ban on ___________

Options

Replies

• lyndsei
    lyndsei Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I wish my gym had a ban on people who use machines as thier personal call center or social post up spot... get off the phone and go hang out somewhere else!!! People are waiting patiently to use the machine after you!!! ... Grrr!!! Just sayin' :)
  • Brevans04
    Brevans04 Posts: 18
    Options
    People next to me on the treadmill or the elliptical that feel the need to look at my machine. Keep track of your own workouts, and not mine. K thnx

Sorry, I just had to see if I was being lame and I have to step it up...LOL! Guilty

Yup. If you get on the machine next to me, we are now competing. :laugh:
    :laugh: yes! It's true! It's us type As out there I guess, lol :laugh:

So guilty of this, if we are in the ab room doing AYTHING, I am trying to outlast you. I love doing situps on the pilates ball, and start when the next person does and win.. its like my own victory.
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I wish my gym had a ban on people who use machines as thier personal call center or social post up spot... get off the phone and go hang out somewhere else!!! People are waiting patiently to use the machine after you!!! ... Grrr!!! Just sayin' :)
    I wish my gym didnt have a ban on lyndsei
  • Brevans04
    Brevans04 Posts: 18
    Options
    They need to ban people that sit on the "stretch" mats and talk to people and dont do anything!! Other people have a life and I have a limited amount of time at the gym and actually use the machines!!! Plus I want to look over at them and say the quicker you use the machines the higher your heart rate, the more fat you burn retard.
  • ByrdBarajas
    ByrdBarajas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ AGREE!!!
  • LollipopViolet
    LollipopViolet Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    We have a guy that comes in with his wheel chair. This might sound harsh at first but this dude uses a wheel chair as a quazi-gym bag. He walks perfectly and does all kind of exercises as somebody without a handicap does, never uses it for aid. All he does with the wheel chair is uses it to carry his own medicine ball, a bunch of rubber bands, and a gym mat. I guess that's one way of getting around the "No Gym Bags in the Exercise Area" rule. LOL

OK, have you ever watched him leave after his workout? Some people can move around perfectly well some of the time, but say, after a visit to the gym, they need some help. Example, someone with arthritis, who's been advised to try and keep as active as possible. Just another point of view.

I'd like to ban perfumes/body sprays too. I'm a foot away from you in a locker room, please don't spray that stuff in such close proximity!

Ditto jeans in the gym - just looks... strange.

I can live with the weight lifters clanging weights and grunting occasionally, but PLEASE re-rack your weights! My gym actually has signs around that say, "If you're strong enough to lift the weights, you're strong enough to put them back. Thank you."
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I want my gym to band any and all workout equipment and just have a huge wide open space
  • ksalmon1998
    Options
    the folks that set the speed and incline on the treadmill so fast and high that they have to hang on to the front of the machine. It irks the living **** out of me if you feel the need to hang on for dear life you're goin to fast or cant do the incline. STOP THAT MADNESS please

I use the incline and hold onto the front due to balance issues. I could set the treadmill at 1.0 with no incline and still have to hold on.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    We have a guy that comes in with his wheel chair. This might sound harsh at first but this dude uses a wheel chair as a quazi-gym bag. He walks perfectly and does all kind of exercises as somebody without a handicap does, never uses it for aid. All he does with the wheel chair is uses it to carry his own medicine ball, a bunch of rubber bands, and a gym mat. I guess that's one way of getting around the "No Gym Bags in the Exercise Area" rule. LOL

OK, have you ever watched him leave after his workout? Some people can move around perfectly well some of the time, but say, after a visit to the gym, they need some help. Example, someone with arthritis, who's been advised to try and keep as active as possible. Just another point of view.

Yup, actually I've seen him come and go. Word is that he told a few people his hobby is climbing mountains.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options

(For me it's dudes who slam the weights down in the weight room)

Planet Fitness is lame for doing that. It's not always intentional, sometimes it's just part of the lift like Deadlifting or Power Cleans. I can't really help it; I mean there's no nice gentle way to set down 300lbs when doing reps of deadlifts. Although I do admit that some men are just stupid about it and do it excessively.

- People who curl in the power racks
    - Men who wear tons of cologne. Seriously, shower and get all primped to hit the gym???
    - People that curl in the power rack and then sit down in the rack and take a 10 minute break in-between sets reading a book.
    - People that don't unrack their weights. If you can Deadlift 400lbs then your *kitten* better un-rack it for the next person that can't.

plus if the weight is too heavy you are supposed to dump it. idk why planet fitness has that rule unless its to discourage people from actually challenging themselves when working with the weights.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    people who don't re-rack their weights!

I have to agree! Sometimes racking their weights is more workout than I originally intended! ;)
    This one! I don't need to be reracking 45 lb plates. I once tracked down a guy who had loaded 1 end of the squat cage bar and left it loaded on the FLOOR like that. I can unrack while they are in their PROPER place, but with it on the FLOOR??? Sorry dude. YOUR mess to clean up.
  • marieautumn
    Options
    on people who make horrible noises while lifting the weights. we are going for reps most of the time, so if you cant move the weight easily then obviously you arent as strong as you want everyone to think and you need to take some weight off your bar!

A good lifting program has you do low reps high weight, so that is the point, make the weight difficult to lift, get better results. Now the noises usually are not necessary but can sometimes be involuntary.

my gym is crossfit so usually if we are doing reps you are doing them as part of a sequence of movements (ex: 15 split jerks, 9 toes to bar, 400 meter sprint -AMRAP for 15 mins. The trainer lines up all up with our weight goals based on level prior to starting the clock, so these guys know what weight they SHOULD be moving. i could understand if it was days where we are doing reps to find your max weight, but its annoying to hear some one grunting like a gorilla next to me when i'm already fatigued.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I like a lot of the things that others want to ban, because it makes for good people-watching while I work out (yes, I know that means I am not working hard but whatevz!). If I had to ban something at my gym, I would ban 90% of the TVs being tuned into Fox News. I mean, clearly the gym has cable so why not have a little variety? Something a little lighter and less.... Fox News-ish... to make my workout more enjoyable. Just a thought :flowerforyou:
  • marieautumn
    Options
    on people who make horrible noises while lifting the weights. we are going for reps most of the time, so if you cant move the weight easily then obviously you arent as strong as you want everyone to think and you need to take some weight off your bar!

Huh? Heavy lifters don't "go for reps" they go for failure.
    thats only if you are trying to find your max weight. we go for reps all the time during actual work outs.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    the folks that set the speed and incline on the treadmill so fast and high that they have to hang on to the front of the machine. It irks the living **** out of me if you feel the need to hang on for dear life you're goin to fast or cant do the incline. STOP THAT MADNESS please

I use the incline and hold onto the front due to balance issues. I could set the treadmill at 1.0 with no incline and still have to hold on.

There's "holding on" and there's "hanging on".... we all know what she's talking about, and it's not you :smile:
  • beachquilt
    beachquilt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We have one lady at our YMCA who insists on blow drying her hair and putting on her makeup... stark naked!! And it is right by the door so it is hard to avoid her! Yikes!!!
  • sjackson1717
    sjackson1717 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I wish my gym had a ban on................... women dousing themselves in body spray, hair spray, scented lotion, perfume, etc. Totally choked out last night getting back to my locker, walking through a veritable cloud of perfumigation.

Was just about to post the same thing. I would rather smell your stink than your perfume, please.

I don't know people this one is a toss up for me. I was on the NO purfume ban-wagon for along time until last Sunday...OMG can I say JESUS...this young dude who got on to the stairmaster next to me had a stennnnCHA (beyond FUNK) so bad I thought I was going to vomit in the middle of my work out. Now I know B.O. is somehow attractive in some foreign countries but not here, in the US of A, in MY gym next, next to ME! I seriously don't know how anyone ALIVE could smell that bad. It would have been way more curtious if he had taken a bath in cologne before he came to the gym.
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I gotta say, I'm not stopping to wash mine off just to get on the treadmill. I'll wash it off in my shower when I get home. Why does my eyeliner bother you?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Nothing because my gym is better than yours. :)
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    People who don't wipe down their equipment after using it! So, SO gross! :\
    ^^^^ THIS THIS THIS!!! ^^^^

I wish that class instructors would call ppl out about not wiping equipment down at the end of class. I've started wiping my spin bike down before class too.