Starvation mode article that I found very VERY helpful....

Options

Replies

• watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    For breakfast yesterday I had a bowl of cereal with strawberries and a protein shake. For lunch I had a slice of veggie pizza , a salad and a chicken breast for dinner I had shepherds pie and lots of it. I also had 3 protein shakes by some people's ideology I may have eaten way more than I should lol some people however think it's way to little. You can't win on here.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    For breakfast yesterday I had a bowl of cereal with strawberries and a protein shake. For lunch I had a slice of veggie pizza , a salad and a chicken breast for dinner I had shepherds pie and lots of it. I also had 3 protein shake by some people's ideology I may have eaten way more than I should lol some people however think it's way to little. You can't win on here.

All that matters is your caloric intake relative to your TDEE, and what your goals are.
  • exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any idea how many calories I burned reading through the eight pages of this thread?
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any idea how many calories I burned reading through the eight pages of this thread?

2.7 if you have a rollie ball on your mouse... if not... then 11.4? lol <JOKING>
  • watboy
    Options
    To each their own.

Think i'll try it my way for a bit...see what happens and most definitely report back here!!! ;)
  • watboy
    Options
    Hmmm so now i dont have an eating disorder?
    For breakfast yesterday I had a bowl of cereal with strawberries and a protein shake. For lunch I had a slice of veggie pizza , a salad and a chicken breast for dinner I had shepherds pie and lots of it. I also had 3 protein shake by some people's ideology I may have eaten way more than I should lol some people however think it's way to little. You can't win on here.

All that matters is your caloric intake relative to your TDEE, and what your goals are.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I usually eat under 750 calories BUT its not because im trying to have it help me lose weight.

I eat all throughout the day and im full to the max when i finish eating.

WHATS THE ISSUE?

People would rather me eat until im sick just so i can say im eating over 1000 calories?

No thank you.

What's the issue? Anorexia. Eating that little is disordered eating. That's the nutritional requirements of a 30 pound Cocker Spaniel.

No it isnt.. Well maybe the dog thing is right but its not necessarily anorexia. I rarely eat over 800 a day and I am full to the brim with salads, veges, meat and a snack. Like the above poster, I am not going to force food down my throat so I make 1200.

As for the above poster, you will probably get blasted for your choices but only you know what is best for you, and dont let the haters get you down
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

You tell me. What's your TDEE and what you're typical daily intake...
  • Mary1757
    Mary1757 Posts: 13
    Options
  • kschmi24
    kschmi24 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The article is pretty good. I have one major contention - your body will burn you muscles for energy before it attacks fat, because it requires too much energy to maintain muscles unless you eat enough and exercise. However the whole "starvation mode" is a misnomer, it's more conservation mode when it turns to burning muscles. But, maintaining muscle mass requires getting enough protein. I lost a lot of weight on a medical weight loss plan, but did not lose a lot of muscle because I exercised and ate almost all protein! So near starvation level diets work, but only under carefully watched conditions!
    Truth! And it doesn't just pick muscles like your biceps, your abs, your butt. . . it'll take from the heart too. My nutrition teacher was freaking out about it the other day.
  • 2012party
    Options
    A word of caution regarding this "article." i find it impossible to address its credibiliiy as it includes no references and/or credentials. This looks like a blog article written on a web site from some average Joe with no facts and/or figures to support it. i'm all for trusting your own body and finding your own way just be wary of charletons trying to sell you what you want to hear. no one really knwos what the safe limit is for you, go ask your own doctor or nutriionist, in my opinion MFP is offten an approximation, i think we all kinda get that, that sometimes we estimate calories both food and exercise calories but i'm very careful about changing my practices based on the latest thought especially when it's an article without basis in fact and theory.

TT

There are actually references given in the comments section, by request.
  • watboy
    Options
    Hmmm do I owe a stanger who means nada to me some information? hmmmmm nooo. quote]

You tell me. What's your TDEE and what you're typical daily intake...
    [/quote]
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    So there is a lot of debate on if starvation mode is real or not, but it isn't sustainable.

There are 3 key questions you need to ask yourself before going on a drastic calorie reduction plan:
    1. How will you maintain the weight once you get to goal?
    2. Can you do this for the rest of your life?
    3. What happens when I start eating normally again?

And the answer never seems to lead back to a plan using drastic calorie reduction, because you'll either fail at maintaining the weight loss, gain once you start eating normally or go on a binge to make up for lost time.

Yes it is calories in, calories out to lose weight but the goal isn't to lose weight, the goal is to say goodbye to that extra weight permanently. I'd much rather pick a solution that fits into the life I plan to lead now and for the next 70 years.
    Well said
  • watboy
    Options
    The problem I find is people being labeled for no reason and judged harshly because they don't eat tons of food. Rather than offer some advise on how get more calories in , people say things like "you're going to die!" "you have an eating disorder!" So either they are fortune tellers or they are doctors which I doubt they are either. Another thing is many people don't eat their calories back ever. I didnt know anything about eating calories back because I never kept track of calories because I didn't need to. I lost weight by eating the same type of food just leaner than I have been eating for most of my adult life and even from earlier. Instead of 80/10 beef I now use 93/7, instead of whole sour cream I switched to light or non-fat sour cream, instead of bacon I use turkey bacon. I basically substituted those things and they happen to be lighter in calories sometimes and always lighter in fat content. I don't use MFP to track calories and I've said this before I use it for keeping track of protein and carbs because I am weightlifting a lot these days. But I read these posts about people struggling with eating more and I get it because I never use to eat a lot and I still don't. This does not make someone mentally ill. It's like saying the japanese are mentally ill because some of them eat seaweed and sushi for their entire diet and they only eat 1200 calories and then work out. I know some japanese people and what they eat before anyone asks me how I know this lol. Some of course don;t eat that way but the ones I personally know are super healthy and have awesome lean muscle. The fact that genetics play a big part on how our bodies store fat or don't store fat or the fact that some people don't have huge apetites is almost never taken into account which really makes no sense. I know people who eat well over 3,000 calories a day don't hit the gym and are skinny, I know some people who eat really healthy food and are chubby. I mean come on folks let's stop labeling people. Yes some people truly have eating disorders but many do not and have a hard time eating more. Offer advice if it's solicited if not worry about you.

So there is a lot of debate on if starvation mode is real or not, but it isn't sustainable.

There are 3 key questions you need to ask yourself before going on a drastic calorie reduction plan:
    1. How will you maintain the weight once you get to goal?
    2. Can you do this for the rest of your life?
    3. What happens when I start eating normally again?

And the answer never seems to lead back to a plan using drastic calorie reduction, because you'll either fail at maintaining the weight loss, gain once you start eating normally or go on a binge to make up for lost time.

Yes it is calories in, calories out to lose weight but the goal isn't to lose weight, the goal is to say goodbye to that extra weight permanently. I'd much rather pick a solution that fits into the life I plan to lead now and for the next 70 years.
    Well said
  • science_man_88
    Options
    I just find it sooooooo hard to believe that I weight 60 lb more than I need to and reducing my calories to 1200 calories a day or less will PREVENT me from losing weight? It just does not make sense to me! Also about 4 years ago after I had my 3rd baby I weighed about 220 lb and went on a diet that was lower than 1200 calories per day and had absolutely no problem whatsoever losing the weight within 6 months time...I went from 205 (to be fair..baby weight) to about 150 in 6 months eating less than 1200 cal per day, lifting weights daily and eating whatever I wanted on a Saturday...And I was 37 years old 4 years ago so the age factor was against me as well! Why was I able to lose this weight so successfully when everywhere I read on here everyone says I must eat well over 1200 to lose...remember I lifted weights every single day and ate less than 1200 (some days probably 900) and still lost around 50 lb in 6 months...I am interested your opinions on this...
    yeah I don't see how eating under 1200 Calories / day is that bad according to my math fitness pal says a pound is 3500 Calories every Calorie I cut seems to make a difference of .01 lbs in 5 weeks that means cut just 10 Calories/day and you lose .1 pounds extra in that 5 weeks it forecast for. one possibility I see for the plateau effect is that as you lose weight ( Newtons or pounds) you lose the ability for the same distance to burn the same number of Calories, W=F*D work equals force times distance if you cut down the force by giving away mass ( the 2 are not equal) and keep distance the same the amount of work done is lower. one kilogram loss is losing almost 10 joules ( about 1/418 Calories) of work done / meter distance over a kilometre that means a few Calories.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    This is an AWESOME thread about an informal poll of MFP members and their eating habits. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results

To summarize... especially among women, those with lower body fat percentages were those who consumed at least 1800 calories a day.

So, if you just want to weigh very little, go ahead and eat very little. But if you want lower body fat, you need to eat more.

If you need advice on HOW to eat more, start a thread on that topic, since it depends entirely on each individual and how they're eating now. Personally, when I need to eat more, I check my food diary and see where I'm lacking. IE, if I'm low on protein, I'll add a couple more ounces of lean meat, or a protein bar or shake. If I'm low on fat, I'll add olive oil to dinner, or have some cheese or milk, or peanut butter. If I'm fairly well balanced, but just low on calories... I'll have whatever I damn well please.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I just find it sooooooo hard to believe that I weight 60 lb more than I need to and reducing my calories to 1200 calories a day or less will PREVENT me from losing weight? It just does not make sense to me! Also about 4 years ago after I had my 3rd baby I weighed about 220 lb and went on a diet that was lower than 1200 calories per day and had absolutely no problem whatsoever losing the weight within 6 months time...I went from 205 (to be fair..baby weight) to about 150 in 6 months eating less than 1200 cal per day, lifting weights daily and eating whatever I wanted on a Saturday...And I was 37 years old 4 years ago so the age factor was against me as well! Why was I able to lose this weight so successfully when everywhere I read on here everyone says I must eat well over 1200 to lose...remember I lifted weights every single day and ate less than 1200 (some days probably 900) and still lost around 50 lb in 6 months...I am interested your opinions on this...
    yeah I don't see how eating under 1200 Calories / day is that bad according to my math fitness pal says a pound is 3500 Calories every Calorie I cut seems to make a difference of .01 lbs in 5 weeks that means cut just 10 Calories/day and you lose .1 pounds extra in that 5 weeks it forecast for. one possibility I see for the plateau effect is that as you lose weight ( Newtons or pounds) you lose the ability for the same distance to burn the same number of Calories, W=F*D work equals force times distance if you cut down the force by giving away mass ( the 2 are not equal) and keep distance the same the amount of work done is lower. one kilogram loss is losing almost 10 joules ( about 1/418 Calories) of work done / meter distance over a kilometre that means a few Calories.

Cutting calories also cuts nutrition.
  • merrylea
    merrylea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I usually eat under 750 calories BUT its not because im trying to have it help me lose weight.

^^ I think that would actually be the definition of anorexia.
  • watboy
    Options
    Good job being understanding and getting the fact that some people just don't eat a lot. The only advise I can offer is to add protein shakes or eat high calorie items instead of low fat or completely non-fat this will add some more calories but not much more food. All I can say. I also never eat past 1300 or so on most days and I feel great and it's sustaianble as i'm eating very well for me and I love the food I eat and i''ve been eating this way for most of my life. like i said in a previous post I pretty much switched from whole fat to leaner cuts of meats and low-fat or non-fat cheeses or milk or sour cream and such. Still the same amount of foods. Recently I added more protein shakes and will get more calories in albeit not a ton more. I'm also not going to eat as many low fat substitutes

WHATS THE ISSUE?

People would rather me eat until im sick just so i can say im eating over 1000 calories?

No thank you.

What's the issue? Anorexia. Eating that little is disordered eating. That's the nutritional requirements of a 30 pound Cocker Spaniel.

No it isnt.. Well maybe the dog thing is right but its not necessarily anorexia. I rarely eat over 800 a day and I am full to the brim with salads, veges, meat and a snack. Like the above poster, I am not going to force food down my throat so I make 1200.

As for the above poster, you will probably get blasted for your choices but only you know what is best for you, and dont let the haters get you down
  • watboy
    Options
    But dairy is good for you everyone needs dairy you should have as much as you can. Stop putting up straw men to deflect from the fact that you are afraid of dairy and having healthy bones. Dairy is good for you it doesnt make you ill nobody is buying that pitty-puppy. Right? Just like people who can't eat anymore because they physically can't or they get sick are also wrong right? you're argument is just not very valid.Being so judgemental doesn't help you or anyone else. Has anyone stopped to think that some comments to people that they need to eat more more more can actually lead people who are not strong willed to overeat ans develop an overeating disorder?
    So yeah make her eat more than than she can physically eat so she can meet your standards. Great. I agree if you can eat more eat more if you can't you can't. I can't eat a ton I don't have an eating disorder I Iove food. I think it's unfair and unhelpful to be so judgmental.Some people do have an Ed this term does not need to be thrown out like it has no meaning. Ed is a serious thing and just because people don't eat as much as you can does not mean they have an ED.
    I usually eat under 750 calories BUT its not be cause im trying to have it help me lose weight.

WHATS THE ISSUE?

No thank you.

Oh please! People would rather you stop putting up straw men to deflect from the fact how you are eating is not sustainable if you want to be healthy.
    Typical psychological defense to acuse people of being hard hearted "wanting" you to throw up so you dont have to face the flaws in your logic. No one is buying that pity-puppy.

Eat some good healthy fats full of omega 3. Tiny amount of food, very calorie dense, and NOT junk food. All the stuff your brain needs to function. You wont overload your stomach. I can't eat gluten or dairy without getting ill and I have no problem eating clean and going well over 1500.

Nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut oil (controversial you need to do the research and decide for yourself on that one). Find a healthy blended drink with added protein powder for breakfast. I thought it was impossible to eat more than 1200 at first now its easy. Chai seeds high cal, insanely good for you, 1 tablespoon or two a day.

Great that you eat a lot of vegies so many people don't.

Within a few weeks your appetite will increase to a healthy level so you will be able to start meeting your nuitritional requirements.

Good luck