The difference weight lifting makes....

Options

Replies

• witrixie2011
    Options
    Great post!! Definitely needs to be bumped!
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    As soon as I started lifting heavier I saw improvements happen so fast and feel so strong! I love lifting weights :heart: :love: Never fear the weight room
  • miraquenice
    miraquenice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    love the pics! Thanks for the share!
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Love the pictures!

I will finally say it out loud... My goal weight is 200 pounds. I keep losing inches, but not a whole lot of pounds. However, my weight lifting is jumping freakishly. I think it is more realistic to pay attention to inches rather than scale. In my case anyway.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    This makes me want to go home and lift right now!!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Inches would be good, but chasing after body fat % numbers is not very productive, in my opinion(given the inherent lack of accuracy and the fact that the bottom line is how you really look).

I'm into inches but was thinking of a few friends who have bf% they are working on. I'd love for them to be able to share that progress.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Great inspiration!!
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    Another great post! Love seeing the great examples- worth a million words :)

I wish MFP would implement a body fat ticker instead of weight- or even 'inches lost'.
    Inches would be good, but chasing after body fat % numbers is not very productive, in my opinion(given the inherent lack of accuracy and the fact that the bottom line is how you really look).

I think body fat is a good thing to go after as long as you can get it measured by a professional with calipers and not just the handheld machine (those machines are always lower in my experience and give false hope) It's good to know that the weight you're losing is fat vs. muscle so you know you're on the right path to looking toned while leaning out. You're absolutely right though, in the end it's how you look and feel about yourself :)
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for posting this! I really needed this reminder. Sometimes when I see my pals posting weight loss I get a little sad that I have not been able to do the same since I started weight training. It's tough sometimes not to see the progress reflected on the scale but I surely see it in the mirror and I'm loving the changes lifting heavier weights is doing for my body so I'm going to stick with it.
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    So I stole this collection of pictures from tangal88 (she posted them in another thread). I think it's an awesome collection. None of these are me, but my pictures are in my profile.

5 lbs heavier in after pic, but tighter and leaner
    236227942924235826_gkkV70hE_f.jpg

Not same girl, but cute example
    283304632779084974_6m2KFBn5_f.jpg

Same weight, after was when she started lifting heavy
    75153887501416986_Y1GnYQpg_f.jpg

Different girls but both size 4
    Size4Comparison-300x182.png

Same girl, before and after lifting heavy weights, she lost 5 lbs
    tumblr_lr5tonlb3A1qgyxugo1_500.jpg

Stacy, read her story here: She is 14 lbs heavier in after
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912535_fBi9urCv_f.jpg

Different girl, but both size 2
    size2.jpg?w=288&h=223

So who is the girl in the black bikini? I want to know what she did to get her *kitten* to look like that!
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This is good inspiration! Makes me want to start lifting now.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So that top picture was that big a result in basically a month? Or was that a year & a month?
  • heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Great thread!! If you diet and do not implement some type of weight training program about 22% of your total weight loss will be from lean muscle!! Most people who diet but dont lift are not happy with their body even after reaching their goal and even going below their goal weight. Im just reaching my desired goal after cutting 74lbs in the past year and if I didnt lift at the same time as cutting I wouldnt look anywhere close to this and im 42!
    46048809.jpg

You look fantastic!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    For those looking to get into lifting I'd recommend the following

New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5
  • flong1975
    flong1975 Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I just started lifting because I am not seeing any change in the scale and only little changes in my body. Seeing this is the motivation I need to keep going!