The difference weight lifting makes....

Options

Replies

• hali1
    hali1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can show these pics to my husband later... I think we need to be investing in weights soon, he'll probably agree with me after seeing this!
  • Mrsmonas
    Mrsmonas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    LOVE this! Thanks!
  • Teenytiny07
    Teenytiny07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating. I want to start heavy lifting from the ground up. I am starting with body weight exercises. I haven't done ANY type of weight lifting in years. What is so frustrating is that I don't have any heavy free weights and can't afford them at the moment. I also can't afford to join a gym. My significant other just got laid off last month so...

Any suggestions from those who are involved in weight lifting? I am starting the beginner, body weight training from nerd fitness this Sunday....where do I go from there.

HAPPY FRIDAY! ~Michelle

Ask among your friends if anyone belongs to a gym that allows members to bring a guest. Even if you only go twice a week, it can make a big difference.

Or see if there's anything you can use at home. A gallon jug of water is 8 pounds... filled with sand, it's about 13 pounds.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    when i become dictator i will require everyone to lift heavy. or die!
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Inspiring to read this the morning after a rather painful session of strength training. I hurt EVERYWHERE but seeing the pictures and reading about people's experiences have given me extra fuel. Thank you guys for sharing. :)
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump! i got my weigh bemck yesterday. Gonna set it up and start!
  • lastraw
    lastraw Posts: 32
    Options
    Bump
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    :heart: it!
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    bump...:heart::flowerforyou:
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    wow, bump!
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    I am so glad I incorporated weight lifting in my exercise regimen DURING the weight loss phase. I am loving the changes in my body!
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this! i do more weights and i'm "gaining" slowly but people think i'm still losing weight lol
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Thanks a good think to look at when I am feeling down!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    gives me even more motivation for my lifting session in about 2 hours!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Great post! Another reason for me to keep lifting!!
  • Lucendiluna
    Lucendiluna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks!!
    Another great post! Love seeing the great examples- worth a million words :)

I wish MFP would implement a body fat ticker instead of weight- or even 'inches lost'.
    ^ agreed!! 'Inches lost' could be great (easier to track i guess)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Eleven pounds difference from first to last picture. Same weight in the middle and last.

11pounds.jpg
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    Here is something I have to ask... I lift weights and do circuit training. I am working my butt off, but unfortunately, that is not literal! I have lost almost 30lbs since November. I weighed myself today and I am up 2lbs. It is frustrating but I understand that with muscle being built, it isn't always the number but the inches. I feel a bit smaller and my clothes fit better, but the scale says 233...gulp! There has to be some point where that number decreases though right? If I am working out and eating right, even though I am gaining muscle, that number should come down? I can't possibly stay at 233 forever!

I have about the same amount as you to lose. I do it all (weight train, cardio, flexibility). However, NUTRITION is key too. I am losing weight and inches because I had to focus on the nutrition to make sure I was eating right to support my workouts and goals. So when I don't lose, I always look at the food first cause I have the exercise part down.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me even more excited to go lift weights tonight at the gym.

I'm also living proof that weights do shape your body.. 4 years ago when I weighed 150 I was wearing between an 8 and a 10.. with 8's being too tight. Fast forward to now, same weight and I'm wearing between a 4 and a 6.. So either clothing sizes changed a ton in 4 years or I'm doing something right with the weights!