The difference weight lifting makes....

Options

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Those are a couple of the most amazing a$$es I've ever seen!! lol I WANT ONE!!
  • cathryn42dogs
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    Bump
  • cathryn42dogs
    Options
    Wish my hubby looked like you!! Could I ask should I strength train right away or when I have lost weight?? Can I still loose weight and strength train? Also how often should you train and what cal should you eat after strength training does it work out that in the excercise section on here? Thanks Cathryn.
  • mlang1955
    mlang1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! *bump*
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    All right, you've convinced me! I'll find me some weights and not mind so much if I don't lose these last 5 pounds - if I can look anywhere close to some of those, I'll be over the moon!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post and total inspiration.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Wish my hubby looked like you!! Could I ask should I strength train right away or when I have lost weight?? Can I still loose weight and strength train? Also how often should you train and what cal should you eat after strength training does it work out that in the excercise section on here? Thanks Cathryn.

Yes, start straight away. When you lose weight without lifting you tend to lose muscle mass as well, strength training and adequate protein helps to maintain as much as possible :) You can definitely lose weight at the same time (I am right now!)

A full body routine, 3 x a week is what many beginners start with. Also, look into programs such as "New rules of lifting for women", "starting strength" and "stronglifts 5x5". I've heard so many good things about all of them.

There is a "strength training" option in the cardio section of the exercise tab.
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    BeckyNaturoMommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Well, ****! I don't have any weight machines and can't afford a gym membership, so what do I do?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Well, ****! I don't have any weight machines and can't afford a gym membership, so what do I do?

Push ups, squats, lunges. Then, try to find a cheap gym? I hear YMCA's are affordable. In Colorado there are a lot of public rec centers that charge about $5 a visit, less if you buy punch cards...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    And ask any friends who might belong to a gym if they have guest passes and wouldn't mind if you tagged along once in a while.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I know people were asking how big the weights were, but my question is, is it the bar weights like in gyms or dumbbells and other kinds of home equipment? I'm trying to figure out what weights to buy for home as I haven't started lifting yet and I have limited space here..
  • StrongandTender
    StrongandTender Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've really got to remember that! Thanks.
  • hsandall
    hsandall Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I booked earlier today to start my weight training tomorrow.. IM SOOO STOKED NOW!!
  • birdieintx
    birdieintx Posts: 298
    Options
    awesome thread!
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    BeckyNaturoMommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Push ups, squats, lunges. Then, try to find a cheap gym? I hear YMCA's are affordable. In Colorado there are a lot of public rec centers that charge about $5 a visit, less if you buy punch cards...

The YMCA is 10 miles away. Certainly can't afford extra gas if I can't afford a gym membership. :/
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options

If you have a little money / or a birthday coming up, get the new rules of lifting book (no more than $15) and see if anyone's selling some weights cheap on ebay, or listed locally.

If you are FLAT broke, see the following:
    So many options for improvising at home

No weights? Use household items:
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/17/advanced-body-weight-workout-warning-this-will-kick-your-*kitten*/
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

EDIT: you see weights can be done totally for free: there are no excuses, the only one stopping you is you. Go for it!
  • LollipopViolet
    LollipopViolet Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! I was planning to go to the gym tomorrow anyway, but now I'm planning a HEAVY, full body strength workout!

Gonna have to start with the DB's though, as I'm too weak to even lift the bar (apart from the EZ Curl bar).
  • Em28wxm
    Em28wxm Posts: 50 Member
    Options

If you have a little money / or a birthday coming up, get the new rules of lifting book (no more than $15) and see if anyone's selling some weights cheap on ebay, or listed locally.

If you are FLAT broke, see the following:
    So many options for improvising at home

No weights? Use household items:
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/17/advanced-body-weight-workout-warning-this-will-kick-your-*kitten*/
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

EDIT: you see weights can be done totally for free: there are no excuses, the only one stopping you is you. Go for it!

thanks for the links, ill defo be giving these a go! :)